z

Young Writers Society



Medusa's Intoxication

by Aleta


I'm intoxicated. I don't know what else to say;
it's not because I am fumbling on my words,
cause I am quite the well-spoken fellow,
and it's not from just any ole bottle of liquor,
I'm an acholic for you dear. I'll take one sip,
and down my gullet it goes. The liquid burns
and scalds my throat, but I endure for you.
I get so withdrawn sometimes, 
and you make me slur over my words
and grin stupidly, like an euphoric drunk.
The more swallows I take, the more hysterical I get.
The more foolish and dumb I look.

Your name is like sweet honey,
slathered on a dry man's lips,
slithering down his throat, coating his organs in slime.
You're a snake, an entracing one;
those saffron eyes of yours drew me in like quicksand,
and you wouldn't let me free. I knew, that night,
I was staring into the challenging face of a predator.
You reared your head, and hissed in my face,
and such a daredevil you were and still are!
It was all in the body language, the sinous movements,
the angle of your hands. Take me on, you implied,
see what you get and what I can give you.
Oh darling, you're so sculptured, hypnotic and majestic;
how could I deny such a tasteful little cobra?

You are my Medusa;
once a foxy, fetching women - vain, too
ugly and vile when I am done with you.
I'll grab you by the tail, 
and behead your snarling, mutilated face;
and when it is done, clutch you by your raven hair.

(c) Aleta


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 5229
Reviews: 80

Donate
Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 pm
View Likes
Jurelixranoanad wrote a review...



Hi, J here for a review.
Ok then that ending got a little dark and creepy, so you might want to rate this poem a little higher incase someone gets triggered by that kind of stuff. Anyway that is pretty much my only bad note, you had some places that need commas but you can fix then by just reading the poem out loud and seeing where you need to take a breath or add some suspense.
What I do want to say is that I love the speakers voice. You set the voice early on and its easy to see. I can tell he is a well-off young man who isn't used to falling in love then having his heart ripped out by a black-haired cobra. You could really evolve this poem and add more references to the character and what he is going through.
Over all this was a great poem with a lot of potential.

Good Job and Keep Writing!!




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Wed May 24, 2017 12:37 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Awww, I really like this ^.^

I like the way you've got a love poem from the POV of a character rather than just yourself. Or at least, that's what it sounds like. "quite the well-spoken fellow" makes me think of some well-off man who isn't used to falling in love, as if that's for the baseless peasants or something. I think you could go quite far with this if you wanted to, add in more classical references, maybe even references to other characters. But all of that's only if that's the direction this was meant to go in. At the moment what you have is strong but subtle enough that it works as its own thing within a wider poem.

I'm a little less convinced by the Snake's Tail part of it. I think it's two metaphors. Ie the guy is drunk, but also the woman is a snake. In quite a short poem, that's probably too much to squeeze in. If you are going to have the snake metaphor be super important, probably have it in from earlier. Personally I would either focus on one metaphor, or have a much longer poem where the metaphors evolve from each other.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




Aleta says...


I guess you're right I have never fallen in love before only cause I'm young but I can relate to him
Thanks for the advice I'll work on it :)



ExOmelas says...


np :)




I am not a person I am a natural disaster
— TheWordsOfWolf