Lyla. Part 9.

by Alainna

Sorry for the usual wait. Please comment on whether this is an improvement on part 8 which was....horrendous. Thanks.

_______________________________________

That night I lay on the sofa in front of the TV, my comfortable short sleeved pyjamas hanging loose over my bump, with a bar of Cadbury’s chocolate waiting to be scoffed down on the coffee table. Dad was out at a corporate dinner; so mum and I opted for a girl’s night in. We were waiting for Sarah to arrive with a DVD. Hopefully she’d get something upbeat. Even a chick flick would do, as I was in the mood to laugh at the crappiness of a film. Unfortunately, the last time I had left her in Blockbuster we had ended the night in tears over the film Beaches.

I could hear Mum making what smelt like butter popcorn in the kitchen. She was singing to herself, some seventy’s tune that I recognised but couldn’t think of the name of. The doorbell rang and I got up to answer it.

“I hope it’s not another weepy-” I stared at the figure in the porch. Tall, thin, masculine. “Tom,” I breathed.

The figure dropped his suitcase and hugged me. I nestled into him, breathing in his familiar scent. It felt like an eternity before he pulled away and I noticed that he was twitchy.

“What happened? Why are you here?” I led him into the hallway and gasped as he came into the light. “Your face!”

Tom avoided my eyes as I studied his bruised face. His lip was swollen, his cheek was starting to turn purple and there was a slither of dried blood on his forehead.

Propping his suitcase up against the wall, he said, “Its fine. Don’t worry about it.” But the pain was obvious; it made his eyes dull. “Can I stay here tonight? I need to explain…and I’d rather not go home.”

“Of course!” I exclaimed, without even asking mum. I’d have to deal with that problem later.

“Sarah! No, listen. Listen. He hasn’t explained yet. You can still- OK. You sure? Fine. Yes, I’ll tell him. Alright, bye. Bye.” I put the phone down and gazed at the wall in front of me. It felt like it was closing in on me, trapping me. Nothing was straightforward. Not any more.

At least mum had been great. She took one look at Tom, said he could stay on the sofa and walked out the room without asking any questions.

I sighed and made my way into the kitchen to the end cupboard; our medicine cabinet. I removed a packet of Nurofen and a tube of that salted water we had left over from when dad cut his finger.

“Tom,” I called and I heard the TV switch off and footsteps in the hallway.

He walked over to me.

I held the solution over the sink so as not to drip any on my pyjamas and poured it onto cotton wool.

“Here,” I said, placing my hand under Tom’s chin, “let me clean you up.” I began to gently wipe over his face, getting rid of the dried on blood to reveal a cut. He flinched a few times but didn’t make a single sound.

I threw the blood stained cotton wool in the bin and washed my hands under the sink, deep in thought.

“Sarah says she hopes that you’re OK,” I muttered, not really paying attention to what I was saying.

I watched Tom pop one of the Nurofen’s into his mouth and swallow it dry. I never understood how he could do that. I lowered myself onto a chair wearily, waiting for him to speak. But he was being stubborn.

“You going to tell me what happened?” He made a silent intake of breath and sat down on the chair opposite me.

“I told mum that I wasn’t going with her, that’s it.” He looked at me from across the table, the burgundy blood from his cut glistening in the light.

“That’s it?” I repeated. “How about your face?”

Tom shivered slightly in his black T-shirt. The temperature was dropping steadily as the night progressed. It was nearly nine-thirty and I was finding it hard to concentrate. Despite the fact that it was early for most, my body craved the warm comfort of my bed.

“Well…she didn’t take it so great. You know what mum’s like. She lost her temper and…slapped me…” His fingers traced the bruise on his cheek and his lip. “I grabbed her but she struggled free, I picked up my suitcase and walked out the living room door and as I turned around I said, ‘I love Lyla and I want to be with her’. She really lost it at that…picked up the mirror and threw it at me.”

I felt so guilty. It was entirely my fault that he was in this state; I had made him stay behind.

“Tom, I’m sorry,” I said, walking over to him and taking his hand. “I was being completely selfish.” He pulled me onto his lap, nestling his face into my hair.

“It’s always been you, Lyla,” Tom whispered throatily in my ear. “I promised not to leave you and I won’t.”

I tenderly leaned into him, my lips brushing slowly against his. We kissed.

“Amanda,” Tom whispered after a while.

“What?”

Tom smiled brightly. “Amanda if we have a girl. What do you reckon?”

I contemplated the idea. Amanda… not a name I would have considered myself. Hopefully it wouldn’t come up again, especially since we thought the baby was a boy.

“Let’s put it on the list,” I compromised.

“The list?”

I suddenly realised how little Tom knew about what was going on.

“The list of baby names,” I explained. “I forgot you didn’t know about it. I mean, Sarah and I started it soon after I told her I was keeping the baby. It was part of the positive side of all this, but I sort of forgot about it.”

Tom frowned and moved his hands away from my hips and held his head in them. I fiddled absently with his sleek hair.

I knew that everything was starting to creep up on us. There was only four months left to go before I gave birth and there was so much to do. We still had to buy all the necessities: cot, pram, clothes, bottles and everything else. It was all going to cost money; money that Tom and I didn’t have. As for the living arrangements…I was beginning to panic. Tom have the baby at his house a few days here, my house the rest of the time. It was unsettling and I didn’t like the idea. But there was no way that Tom and I could move out and live together. Even if we had the money I doubt our parents would ever allow it.

“How is this going to work?” Tom asked suddenly. He fidgeted on the chair uncomfortably, so I got off his lap wearily and went to lean against the wall opposite him. Feeling suddenly overwhelmed with tiredness, I was close to snapping at someone. I was frustrated and worried.

I grabbed my hair band from the table and violently tied back my curls.

“Oh, Tom, you’re asking me like it never crossed my mind. Like I haven’t thought any of this through,” I said weakly. “Yes, we can’t afford it. Yes, it means we have to grow up fast. I mean, imagine walking down the road, pushing the baby in the buggy and passing someone from school. They’ll look down on us. They’ll be thankful that it was our mistake and not theirs. The most they’ll have to worry about is what they’re gonna wear clubbing that night, not a baby.”

I was becoming passionate about what I was saying. This was everything that was on my mind and I could finally discuss it openly.

“They’ll have their youth. School, friends, a social life. But we’ll have something that out does all that. We’ll have a baby.”

Tom stared, unblinking at me. I could tell that he was trying to believe everything I’d just said. I wanted him to believe. I needed him to. Because maybe if he believed, then I would believe too.

After a while Tom broke our tense silence. “How long before Tilly, Cal and Sarah disown us? I mean, they won’t want to hang around with us once we’ve got a baby.”

I shook my head. “Well, I hope they won’t disown us. I don’t think Sarah ever will. We’ve been best friend since toddlers. She's always been there for me…As for Tilly and Cal…when we told them…” I wandered off into the memory. Tilly’s gasp. Cal’s blank stare.

“They looked sick,” Tom finished for me. I suppose he was right. They had looked ill.

“Just because-” I was cut off by the sound of the doorbell. Tom looked expectantly at me. I shuffled past him, catching whiffs of aftershave and the salty water I had cleaned his face with.

My footsteps echoed along the tiled hallway and the fast reducing light cast long shadows across the walls. The doorbell rang again.

‘Someone’s impatient,’ I thought.

I pushed down on the cold door handle and opened it enough to poke my head round.

“Hello Lyla. I’ve come to get my son.”

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:36 pm
Blink wrote a review...

short sleeved
This should be 'shortsleeve'.

blood stained
As before, one word.

But he was being stubborn.
This definitely weakens a very important moment, in my opinion just a one word sentence 'stubborn' would work better. Speeds it up, keeps us interested.

He made a silent intake
He 'took' a silent intake...

money I doubt our
'doubted', past tense.

At this point I'm not sure who's saying this, since it's a new paragraph but you don't indicate.

****

Excellent ending! We finally have some conflict--that was a little predictable but not enough to work out, I'm interested where you will take this, it's one of my favourite chapters so far. I think what I have said before still applies, however descriptions are getting a lot better, as with word choices and sentence strength/fluidity.

“I was being completely selfish.”
This is where we need Lyla to open up to Tom, tell him how she really feels. Get them to feel close enough to sadden the reader when guy #2 comes along.

We are beginning to get into Lyla's head a little more and that is working a real treat but I am guessing Lyla will have some recollection of how this guy could be the father, so I am recommending we see some ongoing hints to break the ice, and merge together some of the 'this, then this, then that' kind of sequences. Overall, lovely. I am running out of things to say fast so let's hope to wreck chapter 10 (not really!).

Best,

:smt102

ps: gah! I just read the first line of chapter 10, brilliant as it was I feel stupid now :(

Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:24 am
Demeter wrote a review...

Oooh, nice ending.

It's great that Lyla and Tom start to realize that having a baby is not only milk and honey. I mean, really think about it. This chapter truly was better than number 8.

"I hope it's not another weepy... Tom?" haha :D

About the only thing that needs fixing at the moment is your punctuation. Watch for it.

Wonder what's going to happen next? Well, there's only one way to know, right? ;)

(Yay, my 140th review!)

Demeter xx

Rydia wrote a review...

She was singing to herself, some seventy’s tune that I recognised but couldn’t think of the name of. [This is just a touch awkward. Maybe '...but couldn't recall the name of.' would fit better?]

I think this is my favourite part so far. I could find very little to fault and I think your description, sense of atmosphere, awareness of the pregnancy and characterization were all much improved in this chapter. The ending was absolutely perfect and I'm really looking forward to reading the next section.

I think that the first part could have been improved. I'd love for you to make it more mundane and to expand on the mother-daughter relationship shown so that there's an even greater contrast to that between Tom and his mother and all the action in the later scene.

I found it a little strange that she called Sarah so soon. I'd have thought that sorting Tom out, making him comfortable and finding out what happened would come first as opposed to calling a friend to let them know that another friend has been hurt.

Good chapter. Loved the scene where they discuss what they're lives are going to be like, it had some real good realism in it. I think that you need to have Lyla think about not letting Tom keep the baby at his though. I think she should show some fear of his mother and maybe say that she thinks it would be best if the baby stayed with her an that Tom could visit frequently etc.

Hope this helps a little,

Heather xx

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:57 am
M.B.Author wrote a review...

Okay like the PJ thing, I thought they were spelled wrong, and I was right (I am not a good speller).
You said:
Mum making what smelt like
Um...Smelt? I am guessing that that is British.

I think from the up of the last two or three chapters and the excitment of the baby, I think it is totally getting to them.
Is she really going to keep the baby? I have a bad fealing. But, anyway, awesome story! :smt055

-- M.B.Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:43 pm
Esmé wrote a review...

Grrr. Don’t say that. I’m talking about the ‘horrendous’ part. Oh, but lol, I see I turned into one of your faithful, puppy-like critters? Jeez, I really have to study, but one more part won’t hurt, yes?

Quote:
Dad was out at a corporate dinner; so mum and I opted for a girl’s night in.

I don’t think that the use of a semicolon is a good idea. Rephrase?

Quote:
Hopefully she’d get something upbeat.

Comma.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the last time I had left her in Blockbuster we had ended the night in tears over the film Beaches.

The sentence before this one destroys the link between the two (the one before, before). The one were Sarah is mentioned. As it is, the sentence above is a bit unclear. Also, consider rephrasing it.

Quote:
She was singing to herself, some seventy’s tune that I recognised but couldn’t think of the name of.

This is a bit awkward.

Quote:
“Its fine. Don’t worry about it.”
Appostrophe.

Quote:
“I told mum that I wasn’t going with her, that’s it.”
I don’t think ‘that’s it’ is necessary.

Quote:

More details!

Quote:
“I was being completely selfish.”
Ugh, but I do undesranad this. However, expand it! Make me feel more for her, and Tom, too.

Quote:
Amanda if we have a girl.
Comma.

Quote:
Even if we had the money I doubt our parents would ever allow it.

To emphasize, you might add ‘did’ (oh yes, my history teacher’s words, after about a year, still ring in my ears). Also, comma.

Quote:
‘Someone’s impatient,’ I thought.

This is the first time you have her thought’s in quotes. *Is confused*

Quote:
“Hello Lyla. I’ve come to get my son.”
Wha - a - a - at?!

Okay. So Tom turns up. (I’m re-reading the first part). But I don’t know what Lyla feels about. I don’t know anything at all. This is written in Lyla’s POV, but I have, in this part, trouble with making myself feel her emotion. I don’t feel her surprise at his appearance, etc. Some dialogue sentences are great, especially the one when Lyla talks to Sarah, but in the first part of this part (yes, sounds weird, I know) there isn’t anything like that. He comes, and she takes him in. Who cares about what he did to her. She doesn’t, so why should I? And his face. Well, yes, his face is messed up, but… But what? (Again, I’m talking about the first part of this installment, the next is good).

Because what comes after is awesome. Truly. Nothing to be nitpicky about (… wit the exception that I would like to see more body language). But Lyla’s personality comes out, and her heart is in what she says. Also, she discusses real problems, and real consequences. This is what I have been waiting for, and I was a bit disappointed that it didn’t come up before.

Quote:
We’ll have a baby.”
Ditto. What I said before the quote.

But oh-my-god. What are you up to? What was the ending supposed to mean?!

Endings comments: I didn't particularly like the first part. The rest was good - awesome - but I was a tad bit dissapointed with the first part.

Yours,
Esme

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:36 pm
scrambled_pages wrote a review...

Love it, love it, love it!
Sorry about it taking me awhile to get to critiquing it...I had some limited access to the internet the last few months (yes, it was painfull)
This was much better than the last bit. Though you're being too hard on yourself about that, it wasn't as bad as I am sure you are beating yourself up about it being. Just revise it and it will be as marvellous as everything else you have writen, I am sure :wink:
As per my usual, I have very little to say about this piece that will help you, except to say that the whole thing is becoming very heavy - please don't take this as my being insensitive, because obviously the situation is not an easy one in any respect - but I do think that it is time for some comedic relief of some sort. it sounds to me like the list of baby names was something positive between Lyla and Sarah, maybe you could show us a clip of them arguing and laughing over various names. I don't know, but I ealy do think that something cheerful would be good.
Hope this helps. Regardless I am looking forward to reading part 10 - which has already been posted and so it was like pulling teeth to keep myself from skipping over the critic before rushing over to read it... I am addicted!

-Gen

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:34 pm
Jules the jester wrote a review...

I must apoligise in my tardiness for Criting. And due to this i havent got much to say but...

BRILLIANT!!!

Although i would like to see more of the parents. This is just as difficult for the parents as it is for Lyla!

Well look forward to the next part.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 am
JC says...

They are quite spiffy, no? lol =D

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:49 am
Alainna says...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad this part was an improvement on part 8!

Kite-Pyjamas and recognised are the English ways of spelling them. :wink:
Also, I'm going to change the rest of the mistakes you pointed out. Thank you for your help.

Meevs- :smt040

Twit- The ending went down well then? Hehe! :smt001

JC- Gramma fiend I am. I need to pay more attention!

Thanks everyone, I really apreciate it! And I've just found our new set of emoticons! YES!!!!!!! :smt051

Alainna
xxxx

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49 pm
JC wrote a review...

‘I love Lyla and I want to be with her.’.

Take out the first period so it read like this...
'I love Lyla and I want to be with her'. That would be the correct grammer thing...=D

EEEKKK! Can you write faster? lol.

It's really weird reading this...you know...haha...well... yeah.

You know, for living arrangements, seeing as Lyla and Tom live in different houses, they could switch of weeks...you know? But whatever, yeah.

Good chapter. =D

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:52 pm
Twit wrote a review...

*SQUAWK*

:thud:

Cliffhanger!??!?!?!! And in such a nonchalont way - “Hello Lyla. I’ve come to get my son.”

I think the spelling of pajamas differs if you're American. Pyjamas in the British way of spelling it, so you don't need to change it. :)

Alainna wrote:Tom have the baby a few days here, me the rest of the time.

This bit's confusing. I don't get what you're driving at. :? How and where they're gonna keep the baby, is that it?

And wheee! that ending...

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:53 pm
miyaviloves says...

YAY it's LYLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU SOOO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!!!

Kite pretty much pointed out all the mistakes that I noticed so yay!

Love it, love the ending of this chapted.

LOVE!

Meevs
xxx

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:49 pm
KiteRide86 wrote a review...

First Comment! Woot!

pyjamas
spelled pajamas (there are two of these in this excerpt)

that I recognised but couldn’t think of the name of.
spelled recognized. Remove the last "of" and possibly even reword the sentence to flow smoother.

“Sarah says she hopes that you’re OK
Reword, unless you want it to sound sloppy. (This may be your point, seeing as she didn't pay attention to what she was saying.) OK seems better spelled okay, but maybe not.

So he changed his mind, did he.

It was my entire fault
Sounds better as, It was entirely my fault.

That's obvious! You don't need to tell us after you showed us. :wink: We kissed, is unnecessary.

especially seems as we thought the baby was a boy.
Awkward sentence. Was "seems" supposed to be "since"?

necessities; cot, pram, clothes, bottles and everything else.
I think the semicolon should be a colon, because everything beyond the colon is expanding on necessities.

“Hello Lyla. I’ve come to get my son.”
*Dun Dun Dun*

---------------------------------

Good abrupt ending! :wink: This was much better than chapter 8! I think all you have to do to 8 is rewrite with more description and time.

Good story! Makes you think, huh? Reminds me of DeGrassi! lol!

Keep it up! I'm hoping to update The Closet soon, but I've had some writer's block recently. Oh, well...it's coming along now, though. I'm rewriting Chapter Four. :D

The continuation of our world depends more on the survival of the kindest than it does on the survival of the fittest.
— Arcticus