Lyla. Part 7

by Alainna

Well, sorry for the usual wait...hopefully when school ends next month I'll have more time to write and it won't take me so long to post....So, hope you enjoy, crit welcomed!!!!

Lyla. Part 7.

We decided it would be best if we went round to Tom’s house, as my mum would be home from work by now, whereas his place would be empty.

Da-ja-vu hit me as I shuffled through his front door; the ghost of myself three months ago lingered.

“Would you like a hot drink? Tea?” Tom was talking oddly. He was being formative, almost like he was talking to a stranger, not me.

“No,” I replied, ignoring his confused look as I couldn’t be bothered to launch into the whole ‘the baby doesn’t appreciate it when I drink tea’ speech. Instead I hung up my blazer and made myself comfortable on the sofa.

Tom hovered, switched on the TV, changed his mind and switched it off again. He looked like a child who had the ultimatum of sitting on Granddad’s lap, which meant a toothless smile and a mole with a mind of its own, or Uncle Bob’s, which meant the stench of BO and stale beer.

I grabbed his arm and sat him down on the sofa next to me.

“I want you to be there for me when I have the baby. I want you to be a dad.” I thought my words would cause him to look shocked. At least do something slightly dramatic. But instead this huge grin appeared from nowhere, spread from ear to ear across his face.

“Don’t you see that’s what I want as well? It’s what I’ve been trying to tell you all this time. But you wouldn’t listen; you didn’t want to know me!” Tom said exasperatedly. He grabbed my arm and led me out of the room. I felt dumbfound. Had I been that blind and oblivious to him? Had it been me shutting him out? Well, I suppose it had, but only because he had reacted so badly at first.

We were now stood on the upstairs landing, directly facing the cream door to his room.

“Close your eyes.”

"What?” I felt nervous suddenly. Surely…

“I just want to show you something,” he added quickly.

I obediently shut my eyes and allowed his warm, soft hand to guide me. “OK, here we are. Now…open!”

It was his bedroom. The same. The same cream walls, the same boyish smell, the same messy pile of clothes…except the corner. Now that was different. In the right corner, by the window was a beautiful white cot. Above it was a shelf, with a teddy balancing upon it.

I didn’t know what to say, my words got jammed in my mouth.

“And look!” He continued excitedly, picking up some papers and shoving them under my nose. “Plans for a nappy changing unit to go on the other side of the window!” He examined me inquisitively and his face fell. “You don’t like it.”

“It’s not that!” I protested. I must have seemed so ungrateful.

“What then?”

I sighed. “Does this mean you’re committed or does it mean you are for the moment? It’s all very well preparing your room, but are you prepared?”

Tom held his hands up as if to say ‘I give up’. “Are you saying that I’m going to run away the moment you give birth? I’m not like that!”

“Well I am like that!” I shouted. What was I saying? Tom stared hard at me and I burst into tears, sinking onto his bed.

“I’m scared. So scared,” I mumbled between sobs. Tom sat down next to me.

“You don’t have to be. You’re not alone. I promise you that no matter what I will be here for you.”

I focused my eyes on his. He wasn’t lying. I pulled him close and wailed into his shirt.

“Everyone thinks I’m a slut. That we’re filth,” I continued.

“No, we’re not. I love you and that’s how you got pregnant. Not from some guy you don’t even remember. I love you.”

I looked at Tom through still blurry eyes. He loved me and I loved him. That’s what was going to pull us through this and keep us together.

“I reckon it’s gonna be a boy,” I whispered.

Tom laughed throatily. “Why’d you think that?”

I shrugged and took his hand in mine. “Just from talking to my bump.”

“Talking to your bump?!” Tom grinned from one corner of his mouth in that sexy way that I remembered. We were back to how we used to be. Understanding how each other felt like no-one else could.

And that was the day that I realised that this green-eyed, tall, caring boy was mine. He loved me.

I awoke some time later. The lighting in the room had changed; there was no longer any daylight, only a soft orange glow coming from a lamp. I pushed myself up onto one elbow so I could see the room more clearly. Tom had covered me with a blanket, a silky, cuddly one that had made me sweat. I must have fallen asleep, although I had no recollection of doing so. I brushed my hair away from my face with my hand. The clock on the dresser read five-thirty. I’d told my mum that I would have been home half an hour ago. I hoped she wasn’t worried about me.

“Your mum called, I told her that I’d walk you home when you woke up.” Tom slipped into the room and sat on the edge of the bed. I yawned and watched Tom sitting there and thought of my bump.

“God, I hope he has your hair. A boy with thick curls like mine isn’t always great,” I remarked.

“So it’s definitely a boy? Even though you didn’t check the sex.”

I shrugged, noting the annoyance in his voice as he mentioned the sex. “I know I didn’t want to know the sex and I think its best that way. A nice surprise on the day. But I do have a gut feeling. Do you know what I mean? I just have this kind of…sense that it’s a boy.”

Tom nodded knowingly and took my hand. “Your mum’s gonna think I’ve kidnapped you. Shall we?”

I stood up and ruffling my curls, made my way downstairs.

* * *

The cold jelly tickled my stomach. I let out a little giggle, trying hard to stifle the rest, as I didn’t want to come across as immature. I was already feeling extremely self-conscious about my age. I felt like every doctor that walked past me in the corridor was judging me or thinking ‘how horrible; a pregnant teenager.’

Mum however, was full of excitement and worry over how the baby was developing. She was sat next to the hospital bed now, staring intently at the monitor beside my head. Tom hovered by the door, intrigued yet slightly embarrassed to be with me for my five month scan.

The doctor moved the transducer over my maternal abdomen and the image on the monitor flicked to life.

“The head,” the doctor indicated. I stared at the image. My baby. Inside me. I knew I was grinning crazily.

“It’s gorgeous,” mum breathed, peering across the bed at the black and white ultrasound, fiercely holding back tears.

I turned my head to see Tom, who had now moved to stand by the bed so that he had a better view. He looked shocked, in disbelief that something so important was living inside me. That was just how I felt. I seeked out Tom’s hand and squeezed.

“Right, would you like to know the sex of the baby?” Doctor Mumt asked.

“Yes!” Mum said.

“No,” Tom and I chorused quickly. I raised my eyebrows at my mother. “Mum, we talked about this! You know that Tom and I want to find out the sex of the baby on the day,” I hissed.

Doctor Mumt laughed and took the transducer off my stomach. “It’s very common for grandparents to want the opposite of the parents.” She handed me a bundle of tissues and I rubbed the gel off and sat up. “Well, the baby’s very healthy and the right size for a five month old. You’re likely to feel the baby moving a lot more from now on; it’s going to start to roll around and change position. This can cause some pains and aches but nothing really to worry about.”

I nodded and tried to absorb the fact that I was in my second trimester and the baby was preparing itself for birth.

“Do you have an approximate due date?”

“Yep, November 25th,” I confirmed.

“Good, although I wouldn’t rely too heavily on that date.” Doctor Mumt scanned some of my papers that lay on her desk and looked back to me. “Remember to keep eating healthy, your appetite will be at its highest now (Mum mumbled something about me already eating her out of house and home) and to do some very gentle exercise such as going on walks. You’ll have more energy than you think at this time. Er…” she seemed to be wondering if there was anything she still needed to tell me. “Well, if you need anything or have any questions try ringing your midwife or health visitor and they’ll be happy to help.

“So all that’s left for me to do is give you this,” she handed me a little black and white photo, “and I’ll hopefully next see you on your due date.”

I placed the snapshot into my small purse and fixed my vest top; the smock style that sort of hid my bump. Saying goodbye, Tom slipped his hand into mine and we all left smiling.

Blink wrote a review...

I just can't stay away:

I think it's 'déjà vu'. Weird spelling :)

Tom said exasperatedly.

I know this is picky, but I remember the exact wording a few thousand words ago. I would use 'enthusiastically'.

I think its best that way.

It's

and worry over how the baby was developing

This maybe better worded as: 'but she still worried about how the baby was developing.'

“It’s gorgeous,” mum breathed,

Like I said before, if you call your mother 'Mum' then it is capitalised, but if you are referring to mum as as noun, then 'mum'. No, that didn't make sense. :)

“Well, if you need anything or have any questions try ringing your midwife or health visitor and they’ll be happy to help.

Remember to close your dialogue.

we all left smiling.

I remember last chapter (or the one before) ending with 'we left' in referrance to the surgery. I would use a different variation, as this is a little dull and boring. Maybe say: "The three of us smiled our way out of the surgery doors." Or to some idea.

***

I liked that chapter, and I am beginning to like all of your characters, but, is that such a good thing? It might be great to have a few more anti-heroes, those who are unsure about Lyla or even angry at her. We need some form of character who might be frightened to get too close to, or be very doubtful of the circumstances so that we are more deeply involved.

Right now, the emotions are there but are they too simple to comprehend. I think the tension between Tom and Lyla passed to suddenly, we need more reason to care for Lyla. Is she a little too lucky for her own good? I think it would be more interesting as I have stated if you have some disagreements--does her dad still want her to keep the baby? Is Tom 100% confident he doesn't want to know the gender?

Aside, yet another good chapter! I am guessing there will be some conflict later on, since at the moment it is very friendly, almost too much so. I'll be back!

- :smt102

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:59 am
Demeter wrote a review...

Tom is really great, I have to say.

I felt dumbfound. Had I been that blind and oblivious to him? Had it been me shutting him out? Well, I suppose it had, but only because he had reacted so badly at first.

Watch out – it's getting a little rambling toward the end.

Agreed about déjà vu. And Pickle810 made a very good question.

Other than that, nicely written, once again. (But I had to move the screen again! Annoying!)

See you around!
Demeter xx

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:09 pm

I [s]seeked[/s] sought out Tom’s hand and squeezed.

___________________

This chapter was good but I felt that it was a little too simple. I think that it needs to be a little more awkward between her and Tom first. Sometimes, friends experience misunderstandings and when they realise neither is at fault, they're quick to forgive each other but there's still a lingering hesitation and an awkwardness. You need to show that and I'd really love to see you draw more parallels between her visit to his house this time and the past visit.

I liked the scene with the baby scan but describe it more. Does she feel uncomfortable laying on her back like that? Does she have trouble getting back up? Trouble seeing the screen because she has to turn her head awkwardly (my friend complained of that) and what does she think of the scan. Does she think 'awwww cute' or 'it's a blob' because some people react like that. Not everyone is going to be completely thrilled by a blurry shape.

Also, does she have some slight doubts as to wanting to know the sex? Does Tom? It's a huge, huge decision and I think they need to take longer making it, you need to show their reasons, their emotions and whether they're completely behind it or one of them maybe would actually really like to know. Have the Mother make the common 'But how can you decorate and be prepared if you don't know' arguement and think of some good responses like neutral colours etc.

Hope this helps a little,

Heather xx

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:43 am
Pickle810 says...

Not that there's anything really wrong, but, why doesn't anyone oppose the keeping the baby option? It just seems like it'd be more natural that way. That's all I have to say. Everything else's awesome.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:30 am
M.B.Author says...

Wow, this is going along great. The characters are outstanding. I am so
glad she and Tom are back together.
This story is so cool. Keep up the good work.

-- M.B.Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:35 pm
Esmé wrote a review...

[pre]Yay, part 7! Have I already said how happy I am that I don’t have to wait for you to write, review, and then finally post the next installment on YWS?

Quote:
Da-ja-vu

O_o But I like the sentence that goes after the above ^_^

Quote:
I shrugged, noting the annoyance in his voice as he mentioned the sex.

“The sex,’ and ‘the sex’. A bit repetitive, two times in one line. Try using other words that mean the same, e.g. ‘the gender’, or something like that. A bit down there’s a similar situation (the scan).

Quote:
I felt like every doctor that walked past me in the corridor was judging me or thinking ‘how horrible; a pregnant teenager.’
I don’t quite like the punctuation here. Add ‘:’, perhaps, and I don’t know if you should get rid of the quotes. Perhaps. See which version looks better.

Quote:
This can cause some pains and aches but nothing really to worry about.”

Rephrase, I think.

Quote:
she seemed to be wondering if there was anything she still needed to tell me.

Capitalize ‘she’? I wouldn’t bet my life on it, though.

Quote:

I would split this up and change the punctuation.

Okay, we’re done with that. Here are some stuff that are a bit off the topic, and don’t really have anything to do with grammar & associates.

Quote:
“Well I am like that!” I shouted. What was I saying?

Huh. Abrupt, way too abrupt. I didn’t see that coming at all. I understand that she may have mood swings, etc., but they should come more - more smoothly, I guess. Make the reader be prepared, and surprised at the same time.

Quote:

Okay. Way out of bounds when we consider my power as a critic, but what the heck, lol. It would be awesome if the ‘I remarked’ part split the two dialogue sentences. That way the first sentence would be kind of incomprehensible - pause - and then it would be cool. Eh, yes. Or something.

Quote:

Add more to this, okay? Her feelings (lol, *grins evilly*)

Quote:
(Mum mumbled something about me already eating her out of house and home)

Lol!

Oh, one more thing. She can’t drink tea because of the baby? I thought it was for a different reason, but then again, my memory is not that good.

Oh, and another. (*cackles*)

Quote:
Saying goodbye, Tom slipped his hand into mine and we all left smiling.

Lyla… Lyla is so happy. (Yes, who knew that I would be picky about that, eh?). But I mean, happy. No negative thoughts whosoever. Nothing really negative, or even slightly negative, happens to her. Tom, just like that (well yes, there was that part when it wasn’t all that okay, I’m aware of that) wants to be World’s Best Daddy, and Lyla Word’s Best Mommy, and Lyla’s mother World’s Best Granny. Perhaps the World’s Best Grandpa spot is vacant for now, but I’m not so sure.

But back to the topic. Lyla is so happy, so sure. No bad thoughts at all. Everything’s splendid, just awesome! What I want to see is something negative. If not her world shattering to pieces, or something like that, then a scene with her in-laws (lol!), or something. It’s jus that she get’s everything so easily!

EDIT: Obviously after having read the next installment.

Cheers,
Esme[/pre]

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:17 pm
KiteRide86 wrote a review...

We were now stood on the upstairs landing
We now stood or we were now standing.

Aww, how cute!!!

“Does this mean you’re committed or does it mean you are for the moment? It’s all very well preparing your room, but are you prepared?”
Good question, Lyla!

“Well I am like that!” I shouted.
Wow! I like that she's real. No one would be so sure of themself in her situation. I like that you keep it real. That's what I need to keep in mind while writing the closet! lol!

Very good again. I'm liking this story more and more as I read it!

Alainna says...

Thanks for all the crits! I knew I had spelt that wrong, but it came up fine on my Word spelling checker.....

JC- Lyla is 16. That's why it wasn't illegal for her to be sexually active.

Thanks again and part 8 shouldn't be too long...

Alainna
xxxxxxxxxx

Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:32 pm
JC says...

You finally posted! Yay!

Sorry if I can't give a really in depth critique of thig, it's too good. How old is Lyla again?

Anyways, good job! Keep it up! I can't wait for the next chapter.

-JC

chocoholic wrote a review...

Another great chapter. The only thing I didn't like about it wad the wait!!! But I know how it feels. I have an important scholarship test tomorrow and I've done almost no writing lately.

I loved it it Lyla's mum wanted to know the sex of the baby, while Lyla herself and Tom didn't. It was really funny.

Update this soon please!

miyaviloves says...

YAY! I'm so happy! Part 7! I'm glad that things seem to be coming together for her, and I hope it's a little boy!

All the best,
Meevs
xx

scrambled_pages wrote a review...

Yeah! another part, and she and Tom are finally getting along too! :D

I am so addicted to this story. School really does get in the way doesn't it? I am counting down the days... only 11 days for me!

Shadow Twit is right about "déjà vu", That is the only error I saw as well.

I absolutely loved this part, very cheerful. I loved your comparison:
"He looked like a child who had the ultimatum of sitting on Granddad’s lap, which meant a toothless smile and a mole with a mind of its own, or Uncle Bob’s, which meant the stench of BO and stale beer. "
... I think I'd choose the Grandad's lap (you can always close your eyes or look away, but even blocking your nose never gets rid of smell completely, unless you plan on stopping breathing altogether LOL) :wink:

Awaiting part 8... I'll be patient I promise.
-Gen

Twit wrote a review...

Intrestin :)

One thing:

Da-ja-vu hit me as I shuffled through his front door

I think it's spelt "déjà vu" but I'm not sure.

Anyways, this is good. Nicely writ. :)

Yay part 7. About time too. I know how it feels about school. I have done almost no writing.

Anyway, as always well written and descriptive, and as always i enjoyed it. Good that tomis going to support her

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
— Albert Pines