Lyla. Part 14.

by Alainna

Please feel free to crit!! Thanks. Sorry if the spacing is a bit odd.

____

Lyla. Part 14.

“She’s staring again.”

Mum sighed heavily and briefly glanced up from the latest brand of washing powder that she was holding.

“No she’s not. You’re really paranoid.”

I turned my back on my mother and whilst pretending to examine an air freshener took a peek at the woman further down the isle. She appeared to be in her thirties, with short blond hair and a casual yet stylish suit on, the kind that hugged the body but not in a revealing way. I couldn’t help but wonder why she was shopping in our sloppy town. She looked like the kind of woman who would shop at Harrods.

I looked up to her face and our eyes met. She raised her eyebrows at me and then in an obvious way stared at my protruding stomach. Picking up her heaving basket, she walked off shaking her head.

I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Am I still being paranoid?” I asked shakily. Mum gently guided me up the washing isle, her basket swinging on her arm.

“Some people are just very… judgemental and rude,” she said.

‘Like you used to be,’ I thought, but stopped myself from saying.

I began to wish that it was winter and I could hide my bump under baggy jumpers and sleeping bag-like coats. Then I’d just look fat. Perhaps that would be more socially acceptable.

“I just need some bits for dinner. We’re running low on fruit and veg, so I’ll stock up and tonight we can have rice with vegetables in some sort of sauce. Tomato maybe.” Mum stooped to pick up a jar of dried basil. “How does that sound?”

“Sounds fine to me,” I said, feeling sick at the thought of eating. “What vegetables do you need?”

We had arrived at the fruit and veg isle at the back of the supermarket. People were rushing around, filling their baskets and trolleys, most with a vacant expression on their face.

“Potatoes, carrots, peppers, cauliflower, onions and some green beans. Oh, be a dear Lyla and pick up a few of those corns. Enough for one each.” Mum pointed to a huge crate of corn on the cob. I nodded and pulled a plastic bag out of its container and began to fill it with corn. I put three in the bag and stood holding one more. Was I supposed to put a fourth one in the bag for Tom? Surely he wouldn’t have sorted things out with his mother that fast…

I shoved the fourth corn into the bulging plastic, dropping it into the basket before mum could count them. Mum swung a bag of potatoes into the basket.

“Done. Let’s pay and go home.”

I felt like a trained dog, trailing after my happy owner as we walked to the packed tills. We found one with only one customer in the queue and mum set the basket on the floor. I played with the corners of a magazine on display as I thought of names. Baby names. This was going to be a hard task. Tom and I hadn’t spoken about it much, but time was slipping away. I hated the idea of having the baby and not having a name for him. A name is your identity – it’s so important. I needed to think of one. Fourteen weeks seemed like no time at all to do anything. I needed to be a lot more organised.

“How did you and dad name me?” I inquired. Mum stopped moving. She seemed shocked at my question, but she composed herself and gave me a sad little smile. “Mum?”

The conveyer belt began to move and mum started to unload the shopping rhythmically, with purpose.

“I used to know a girl called Lyla. Back when I lived in Italy on the farm. She was…one of my best friends.”

I was confused. All the photos we had in the house from when mum was younger and living in Italy only featured family and her friend Nadia. I knew mum had other friends, but I’d never heard of a Lyla. I couldn’t help but wonder why I didn’t know about my namesake.

“I thought you grew up with Aunty Nadia. You’ve never mentioned Lyla before.” I placed the empty basket on the checkered floor as I spoke. Mum’s normally animated face looked lost and dreamy.

“It’s hard for me to talk about her, honey,” mum brushed the side of my face with her long, delicate fingers. “I miss her a lot.”

I knew better than to ask anymore. Mum still kept in contact with the people she knew from Italy, if she didn’t stay in contact with or even mention Lyla, then something must have happened. If she wanted to talk about it she would just tell me, without me prying. I moved a packet of pasta further along the shiny black conveyer so that there was enough room to place the plastic toblerone shaped divider for the next customer. It was nearly five o’clock. Tom would be back at the house by now. I imagined him sitting at the kitchen table, waiting for us to get home, wondering what food we had bought. He was going to stand by me through all of this. I just knew it.

“She lived opposite us. On that little chicken farm with the yellow front door. Nadia and I grew up with her.” Mum wasn’t looking at me as she spoke. Instead, she focused on the till screen, the numbers changing as the items were scanned.

‘£1.50………..£4.90………£2.20…’

I gently rubbed her arm, wanting her to go on.

“Her parents had moved to Italy for a quieter life. Her father

died of a heart attack when she was six and my father soon started to fill his shoes. Dad would give advice to her mother and make sure the farm was making good enough profits. So, we became like sisters. I remember when all three of us – Nadia, Lyla and I – would sit under the shade of the big conifer tree near the stream and gossip about boys and life.

When we turned eighteen Nadia got engaged. The ceremony was great, but Lyla was very pale and run down. We persuaded her to go to the doctors the next day.”

Mum paused and looked towards the supermarket exit. The early August afternoon sunlight was flooding through the glass doors.

“The doctor diagnosed her with breast cancer.”

I began to re-load the basket with the packed items. I couldn’t even begin to think of what it must feel like to know that your best friend has an illness like cancer. If it had been Sarah I probably would have broken down. “What happened next?”

Mum paid the cashier before continuing with the story of her past.

“She’d known she had lumps for several months. Lyla was so timid that she didn’t even want to hassle the doctor. Silly. It was really silly. She kept quiet about the lumps until that day at the doctors. Well, the doctor insisted that the lumps were removed as soon as possible.

She went into hospital a few days later. Nadia and I went to visit her after her operation. Lyla was happy even then, joking around and acting like she was perfectly fine, despite the fact that she only had one breast left. She just wasn’t the type to moan. Such a placid person. Beautiful as well, thick blond hair and gorgeous blue eyes.” Mum sighed.

We began to walk towards the car park, my open sandals making a clicking noise that echoed as we walked along.

“Lyla caught an infection. She was in a lot of pain for several weeks and we were all heart broken. Nadia and I spent days just sat by her bed, holding her hand in the dark.” Mum’s voice faltered slightly. “She died in early September.”

I slammed the boot of the car shut, my mind not focusing on the Corsa parked in a dirty car park of a supermarket in town, but on a grave yard in southern Italy, the golden sunshine highlighting the mourning faces of people from the local village.

I crawled into the passengers seat and handed mum a tissue from the packet that had fallen out of the glove compartment earlier. I wiped my own tears away with the back of my hand, turning away towards the window.

“I named you after her because she was one of the most genuinely amazing people I knew. She was so perfect – inside and out. I owe a lot to her. After her death I decided that I needed out. I was nineteen and Italy was no longer were I wanted to be, even though it had been home for the last twelve years. I moved over here to England and met your dad. You know the rest.”

The car grumbled as it revved to life and mum drove us out of the car park, straight into a block of five o’clock traffic.

I stayed quiet for a while, thinking about my mothers past. Sometimes I felt like I hardly knew my mother. Sure, I knew the ‘mum’ side of her, who looks after me and takes care of the house. I knew the business side of her, who shouted in board meetings and worked through the night to meet deadlines. But I didn’t really know Miranda, the woman that grew up on a farm and had a waitressing job for years before she left Italy to come to England in search of a different life. The woman that fell in love with my father and created a home for me.

“Do you have any photos of her? Lyla, I mean.” It felt weird for me to say my own name and yet be talking about someone else. Someone I never even had the chance to meet. Mum ran a hand through her thick, copper – coloured locks in a tired way.

“I think I might have a couple. I’ll see if I can find some later.”

She leaned forward and clicked the radio on.

The conversation was clearly over.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:03 am
Demeter wrote a review...

The detail about Lyla's name is interesting. I still have a feeling that this can't be the end, but maybe it isn't? I know there's one chapter left, is it the last one?

were I wanted to be

Where, right?

‘Like you used to be,’ I thought

There's the same thing than a few chapters ago. I'm not as sure about this one as I was then, though.

Then I’d just look fat.

Haha :D

Perhaps that would be more socially acceptable.

I suggest you swap the places of "more" and "socially".

It felt weird for me to say my own name and yet be talking about someone else.

Nice.

Eeeek, there's only one part left! Must read! Bye!

Demeter xx

Esmé wrote a review...

Alainna,

I actually did read this earlier, and had half the crit typed up, but then it just disappeared somewhere in the folder. Sowwie.

Quote:
“No she’s not.

Is it personal preference? But, comma.

Quote:
Oh, be a dear Lyla and pick up a few of those corns.

Comma before and after her name.

Quote:
A name is your identity – it’s so important.

The part after the hyphen I didn’t like. Maybe it was the “so” - I don’t’ really know, but it just sounds awkward.

Quote:
You’ve never mentioned Lyla before.

“any” Lyla, perhaps. After all, she doesn’t know anything about her.

Quote:
um still kept in contact with the people she knew from Italy, if she didn’t stay in contact with or even mention Lyla, then something must have happened.

Run-on. Add a linking word, perhaps.

Quote:
“She lived opposite us.

“of”? I don’t know, though.

Quote:
The ceremony was great, but Lyla was very pale and run down.

Hmm, elaborate. I understand you are trying to somehow connect these two events, but I don’t think it worked. Perhaps Lyla was “very pale (…)” there, at that ceremony, for the first time? Or it was then that they saw it?

Quote:
We persuaded her to go to the doctors the next day.”

Apostrophe.

Quote:
If it had been Sarah I probably would have broken down.

That’s a… statement.

Quote:
Silly. It was really silly.

Nice.

Quote:
She was in a lot of pain for several weeks and we were all heartbroken.

Heart broken - heartbroken.

Quote:
she left Italy to come to England in search of a different life.

That part is a bit awkward. I feel as if there’d be improvement with commas, but I just can’t get them right. Consider rephrasing that part?

Okay, end of the line-by-line. This part seemed to give Lyla (our Lyla) room to breathe, aye? It sidetracked the readers from the main plot - it was sort of a break.

Good.

However, the technical side. It may be because over the last few days I jus skimmed through the last installments, but I never knew her mother was from Italy. That info is just sent at the reader with no warning at all. My suggestion is that you put that (the Italy, that her mother is from there) somewhere in the previous installments. You know, just a vague hint.

Yes, Lyla’s story (the Italy Lyla) seems very engaging, but what it lacks is emotion. I felt that I should have cried, or felt very, very sad, yet I didn’t. The story itself is, of course, sad, but the way of how it is told - only a bit so. I’d like to see more body language in both the mother and daughter, and more emotion in her words. I want it not to be just statements, sentences and words, but a heartbreaking narrative.

Cheers,
Esme

Rydia wrote a review...

I turned my back on my mother and whilst pretending to examine an air freshener took a peek at the woman further down the aisle.

I asked shakily. Mum gently guided me up the washing aisle, her basket swinging on her arm. [A washing aisle in a super-market? Do you mean washing up liquid and stuff? In which case, maybe 'cleaning' aisle or something?]

We had arrived at the fruit and veg aisle at the back of the supermarket.

died of a heart attack when she was six and my father soon started to fill his shoes. [Fromatting - should be on the same line.]

I remember when all three of us – Nadia, Lyla and I – would sit under the shade of the big conifer tree near the stream and gossip about boys and life.
When we turned eighteen Nadia got engaged. [Fromatting - should be on the same line.]

Well, the doctor insisted that the lumps were removed as soon as possible.
She went into hospital a few days later.[Fromatting - should be on the same line.]

I crawled into the [s]passengers[/s] passenger seat and handed mum a tissue from the packet that had fallen out of the glove compartment earlier.

I stayed quiet for a while, thinking about my mother's past.

____________________________

I loved this section. The development of Miranda's character is great and I can't wait to see how the story influences Lyla's decision over names. I'm thinking Mardon sounds good ;) I think the beginning needs some more setting description but it was generally a good opening and I loved the description of the lady.

I have a few doubts as to how realistic it is that Miranda would tell such a personal story while buying groceries with the cashier stood there, waiting to be given her money but other than that, I can't fault this. Nicely written,

Heather xx

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 am
scrambled_pages wrote a review...

Sooo good!
Again I have no real advice for making it better, so I'll just rant about what I liked.
Firstly I love the way you introduced this chapter, the social comentary of being fat as being more socially acceptable than being pregnant was very true, and unfortunately people really would judge a situation like that from afar, it was a very interesting inside look at a prejudicial situation.

Secondly I adored the story of Lyla(the one who grew up in italy) we learnt more about the mom, and it helped to put into perspective the little things in life; like a dirty look from a woman in a store. We all tend to become absorbed completely in our own problems, and even though Lyla's is certainly worth being absorbed in, it was good to see her come up for air from her dificult situation.
you just keep adding new dimensions to the characters, and I love it!
-Genny

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:51 am
miyaviloves wrote a review...

As it has taken me ages to crit again everyone had beaten me to it - less work for me though right? hehe.

Anyway liked getting a bit of history about her Mum aswell there, I feel like i really know the characters now and you have develpoed the story so well!

Look forward to seeing more!

meevs
x

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:55 pm
M.B.Author says...

Way cool!
I echo everyone else, about the crits and the errors.
I love this story!

Is 15 coming soon?

-- M.B.Author

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:24 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot wrote a review...

You know, the longer this story runs, the farther apart the parts are and the better they become. >.<" Not a cool pattern of events.

I love this sort of interlude, a peek at another world behind the scenes. Only spotted a few grammar errors: missed commas and whatnot.

I turned my back on my mother and while pretending to examine an air freshener...

‘Like you used to be,’ I thought, but I stopped myself from saying it aloud.

and we were all heartbroken.

That's all I really noticed.

Looking forward to part 15! Oh, and Happy New Year! ^_^

~Sumi

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:04 am
chocoholic wrote a review...

Okay, now it's time for a much better crit.

I was confused. All the photos we had in the house from when mum was younger and living in Italy only featured family and her friend Nadia. I knew mum had other friends, but I'd never heard of a Lyla. I couldn't help but wonder why I didn't know about my namesake.

This paragraph doesn't read well. You say it very bluntly, adding more emotion, or showing rather than telling would make it stronger.

If she wanted to talk about it she would just tell me, without me prying.

Somehow this doesn't seem within character. I know that, if it was me, I'd pry, and I'm sure most people would too.

Well, the doctor insised that the lumps be removed as soon as possible.
I think this is easier to understand.

A few other little notes, I can't remember you ever mentioning that her mother was from Italy. It might just be that I haven't read it for a while, but I was a little confused when you first mentioned it.

Your formatting is strange in some places.

When is part 15 coming?

chocoholic says...

Well, it's late at night nd I'm tired, so I'm not going to bother giving a good crit until I ake up again, I just want to say tht I liked it a lot.

Expect a much better crit in the next 24 hours.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:31 am
Loose wrote a review...

Wewt! Part 14!

**addicted**

I hate to say it, because it makes me seem like a pathetic critiquer, but this was great. I can't find much wrong with it...

I loved how you gave us a bit of a background to Lyla's name, espescially since the story behind her name wasn't "It's an anagram of my favourite band", but something meaningful in developing the "Miranda" character.

Kudos!

**waits for part 15**

The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal.
— H. L. Mencken