z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Various benefits of reading books

by Aksh123


Reading is to the mind, what exercise is to the body. This amazing quote describes the importance of reading in just one line. But rather I would like to say, the joy of reading cannot be expressed in words. It’s something which can be understood only by experience. Reading a book, gives you a wonderful encounter with the new world created by the writer for you. A reader can extract the best benefits only when he/she falls in love with reading.

Reading is something which helps you in creation, understanding better, improving yourself, relaxation, judging, killing boredom and most important gives a meaning to your life.

Reading books help you imagine many things which you wouldn’t have even thought of before. Creativity is something which I feel increases in me every time I read a new book. When you read something your mind starts creating a scenery of it in front of your eyes.

When you keep on reading new books with new information, you start learning and experiencing new things. And you start understanding better and much faster than before. You start seeing things in a new way, your point of view changes in fact I can say improves.

Reading different books in itself is a journey. When you are a kid you start with story books, then educational, technical, management, spiritual and so on. Books help you turn your journey growing up into a journey where you start improving yourself and learning new things.

In our daily routine, everyone gets so tired. And when we get even a bit of relaxation we always prefer to give relaxation to our body. But we always forget even our mind needs rest. Reading is something which makes us forget all our stress and gives complete relaxation to our mind.

Everyone in summers or vacations, complain about being bored especially children. We use that spare time in playing, roaming or using the latest technologies. Reading books is something which helps us not only to kill boredom but also to use our time productively rather than wasting it.

When we get a chance to read new books, we start differentiating between books. We start analyzing and categorizing them. We can easily understand which book is bad, good and the best. And then same happens with humans, it helps us to judge better.

When reading gives us so many qualities, it improves our entire life. It provides us new qualities and enhances the old ones. It helps to remove negativity from our life and also saves us from negative people. It just gives an entirely new and complete meaning to our life.

Books are always a store-house of memories. I feel they capture you memories much better than pictures, because you can feel exactly like the author when you read. One bad habit you should avoid while reading is never leave a book half-read. If you have never given reading a try then remember that it's never too late to start a good habit.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 21

Donate
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:32 pm
View Likes
Relaxistence88 wrote a review...



Not much a review...something to add..

Because reading can offer you a form of relaxing and learning at the same time, so why not let you book feed you and help you to become a better, wiser and smarter you.

Your education should not stop once you leave school, and we should all strive to grow a bit each day, the best time to educate yourself is in the years after you leave school, because you're doing it because you want to learn.

If you have fallen behind with your education or you want to better your life, then make it a habit to read as much as possible and you'll soon find yourself catching up and advancing past the others.

The beauty of reading a book is, you can take it outdoors with you, so you can enjoy all the therapeutic benefits of reading combined with relaxing in nature, and there is no need for any electrical cables, power points or batteries.

Reading is a valuable way of self educating yourself and an excellent way of filling in your time, and it will give you a welcome break, from our sometimes mundane and repetitive lives.

Best regards,

Relaxistence88




User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 4997
Reviews: 56

Donate
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:08 am
View Likes
aulyasela3597 wrote a review...



Hello, there! :) First, thank you for writing this great piece and sharing it to everyone! I really do enjoy to read your essay and you may want to develop this essay better.

I'd only like to add a bit about the experience itself.

Books tell you stories. They also allow you to interpret and taste those stories exactly the way you want to. There are certain unique elements associated with the experience of reading a book.

It feels beautiful to build a place you have never been to or seen, bit by bit from sheer nothingness with each line of text that you read from a book that describes it. And when it describes characters, you let the author have her way with the attire, the face, the eyes, the smiles as you paint their images in your head but still you get to decide how the beings end up looking like.

Reading a book is a very personal experience and you feel closer to the characters like nowhere else, as the author gives you many pieces of their minds. You bond with them to such an extent that sometimes you blissfully fall in love (or hate) with a character in a book as helplessly and completely as in real world, because inside your mind they are as real as anyone outside of it.

Books take you to many different worlds. And your contribution in creating those worlds is as much as the author, you two go hand in hand. In the process, you are likely to experience deeper and stronger emotions than probably you have ever felt in your life. You'd be shocked beyond surprises and amazed at the same time, you'd be disgusted and scarred, you'd laugh like mad, you'd feel that pain in your heart you never imagined you could feel for a living being, let alone a fictional character and thus, you'd feel more alive. And never lonely. Reading a good, rich book can be one of the best experiences of your life. And imagine having an opportunity to relive those moments every time you pick up that book again, or find another one that's as good. This will only happen if you are a curious, unsatisfied reader forever on a hunt for more.

Reading lets you see and feel different aspects of the worlds from different people's perspectives - the authors, the characters and sometimes just yourself. Not to mention this is as close as it gets to getting into someone else's shoes. This expands your horizons, you become more accepting and understanding of other humans in this world and many such tiny little transformations happen within yourself. With time you mostly turn out to be a (hopefully) wiser and less superficial version of your older self.

Warm regards,

Aulyasela3597




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 604
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun May 29, 2016 9:09 am
View Likes
theanderman wrote a review...



Hello there, and happy Review Day! Never read an essay here before, so lucky you!

From my perspective, everything you said is valid and fairly justified. You certainly manage to pinpoint the various benefits your title states and the highlights in the paragraphs do emphasise them further. The range of points made is also impressive, rather than simply focusing on aiding creativity or understanding. The way it's written also helps the reader as it isn't too verbose or confusing, it's simple and easy to understand.

That being said, personally I think this could go further. I know the title refers only to benefits and you're bound by that but this could easily become a deep look into what reading actually does for us as students, people, workers, and so on. Perhaps include some personal experiences on how reading is inspiring or even restrictive, for example how some work can easily become a mix of everything you like to read if you're not careful.

Overall, I think there's a good start here. You could easily turn this into a greater essay with a little more work, though. Keep writing!




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 1371
Reviews: 17

Donate
Wed May 25, 2016 1:38 am
View Likes
AMG wrote a review...



Hello Aksh123, I really like your essay. I wholly agree with what you wrote. I, as I'm sure you do too, enjoy reading as you gain a whole new perspective on things. The points that you made are very valid and I'm sad that not many people enjoy reading or think that its is boring. Now for the review part, there are grammatical errors. I will go through each paragraph as I think it will be easier to explain.

So, in the first paragraph, the very first sentence needs to be in quotation marks if it is a quote. Another minor thing from this paragraph, is this sentence, "... encounter with the new world created by the writer for you." It will sound better if you wrote "encounter with A new world...," it makes more sense.

For the second paragraph, that whole sentence would sound better if it was written as such, "Reading is something which helps you create, understand better, improve yourself, relax, have better judgment, kill boredom and most importantly, give your life meaning.

For this sentence, "your point of view changes in fact I can say improves," it will sound better if you put "and" in between 'changes' and 'in fact'.

In this sentence, "Books help you turn your journey growing up into a journey where you start improving yourself and learning new things," the word journey is redundant. you might want to rewrite that or pick another word instead of using it twice.

This sentence, "And when we get even a bit of relaxation we always prefer to give relaxation to our body," is again redundant. The word relaxation is used too much.

"Everyone in summers or vacations," as for this sentence, it needs to bee reworded. it should say "everyone during the summer or vacation..."

And lastly, "Books are always a store-house of memories," the 'store-house of memories' part doesn't make sense. You should rewrite the sentence to something similar to this, "Books always hold remnants of memories."

I hope that I don't sound too harsh, I'm just giving you constructive criticism to help you improve your writing.





Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi