z

Young Writers Society


12+

The messenger

by Acrius


It came one night

As a voice behind the door

As a presence beneath the bed

As eyes peering in from the windows

It was everywhere around me

It was omniscient

Its voice a low, steady hum

It told a story of men in wrong

Of a visitor

And of salvation

-

The first, a liar

Sin had found home in his words.

His lips let flow fabrications.

Until he met the messenger,

The surrounding presence.

Damned be his liars tongue,

Which now lay writhing on the floor.

The tainted muscle preformed it's throes

Resisting inevitable death.

In newfound silence,

He discovered the songs of inner peace.

-

The second, a blasphemer.

Her mind was twisted by the world around her.

She studied deeply,

Icons and doctrines.

Products of the dreams of madmen.

Until she met the messenger,

The surrounding presence.

Her books warped

Their pages now nonsense.

The faces in her arts contorted

Their eyes looked skyward:

Begging.

As she set her shrines ablaze,

She felt the warmth of forgiveness.

-

The third, a nonbeliever.

His story was familiar.

The messenger arrived,

One unassuming night.

Its voice sang in low hum,

Just out of view.

He felt the presence beneath the bed,

The eyes peering in from the windows.

He saw it:

an entity!

Of no form,

Of shifting shapes,

Of pulsing light,

Of resplendent glory.

He gazed at the thing, and was blinded

He heard its song, and was deafened

He felt it's presence around him, then not at all.

For a brief moment, his soul escaped,

Venturing an alien terrain.

His senses returned.

He rejoiced,

And was filled with glee.

He fell to his knees,

His eyes poured tears like rain.

His smile became plastered to his face

For he had visited the courts of God.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
959 Reviews


Points: 106
Reviews: 959

Donate
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:06 pm
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



What is this mysterious entity and what are their motives for mankind? Now,this may not be true at all,but I believe that the entity may be responsible for those that lie and do bad things.Maybe it’s controlling others for its own gain and wants them to believe that is their fault.I have enjoyed this poem.I hope you have an awesome and great day and night.




Acrius says...


Good evening. When writing it, I envision the entity to be a sort of messenger for God, as the poem has heavy religious tone. The messenger itself is not inherently evil or intended to develop into such a character at all. Just a neutral power delivering the warnings it was instructed to. Thank you for the compliment as well as your idea, and I hope you have a pleasant day or night as well



User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:05 am
Plume wrote a review...



Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

This was quite the interesting poem!! I think this whole character/experience you've labeled as the messenger is quite compelling. I'm also a sucker for somewhat circular narratives— while this doesn't really fall into that, I love the parallels shown between each person in their respective stanzas, how they started with a vice or sin and then ended happily. Really nice job building up the story in this poem!

One thing I loved was your three examples. Three is always such a satisfying number, and it always works well in writing. Like I mentioned before, the parallels between all of them worked really nicely. The one thing I do think might be cool to play with is patterns, which could take the parallels even further, if you wanted to. I find that whenever you use examples in a poem, it's always worth trying to see if you can structure the stanzas along the same lines/with the same template in mind. While that can be like you have it here, with tone shifts, it can also be fun to play around with more obvious patterns in structure. I also think it can lead to a really impactful ending, because you spend the entire poem building up to one moment. However, this poem already works really nicely as is, so introducing a stricter pattern isn't necessary. It'd just be something interesting to play around with, I think!

One tiny grammar thing I did notice was there were some apostrophe inconsistencies throughout. Both here:

The tainted muscle preformed it's throes


and here:

He felt it's presence around him, then not at all.


you've used "it's" as the possessive form of "it," when really the possessive form is "its." I make the mistake a lot too, though, so don't sweat it!! Another apostrophe thing I noticed was the lack of one in "liars" in the sixth line of the second stanza. I think, since you've got the whole bit about it being the tongue of a liar, that that "liars," rather than plural as you have it now, should be possessive with an apostrophe before the 's.'

I also noticed you capitalized every line. I wasn't sure if that was an intentional choice or just a byproduct of a writing software, but since you incorporate punctuation, I think it would be interesting to capitalize it as you would according to grammatical conventions. I know grammar kind of goes out the window when writing poetry, but I do think that occasionally, the capital letters were a little weird to see in close proximity, especially with consecutive short lines.

Overall: nice work! I think you used a lot of compelling imagery and personification in your examples to really build up a narrative around this mysterious messenger. I loved the balance of both poetic and narrative, and I hope to read more of your work soon! Until next time!!




Acrius says...


Hello and thank you for the review. You guess correctly by thinking the grammar was because of the software. I stopped writing in Google docs because the red underlines when writing unique names irritated me a bit so I write in a notes app. The auto capitalization was also somewhat intentional. I knowingly capitalized each line, but just because I formed the habit of doing it when taking notes for school.




The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
— Marcel Proust