Somewhere over the rainbow- Part II

by Acid_Fairy

***this kind of goes back in time until before the last post-just in case you get confused***

*~~~~*

I threw rocks into the sea. counting the ripples from around the edges. I loved where we lived. Our old Edwardian house lay directly opposite the baech. this is where i came, just to be myself with no-one lese around. Along the beach, past the large rocks, and the sand dunes, lay a small alcove. A beach just for mr. High cliffs on each side protected me from prying eyes. Making me feel safe and secure.

The moon was out early in the sky, showing up pale and brilliant against the blood-red sea it floated in.

"I thought i's find you here" I small voice behind me said. My younger sister Lydia was standing behind me. I hadn't seen or heard her arrive, "I see you come down here a lot. I wich i had a place to go like this." I just smiled. I was never one to talk. I was my own self. I sat down on a rock.

"Are mum and dad fighting again?" I asked in a small voice. Lydia nodded, and i was surprised to see her eyes brimming with tears. Our Strong Lydia. She was always the one who had kept our broken family together.

I stretched out my arms and pulled her into a hug.

"Who is it you talk to Natalie? I hear you talking at night. But i can't se them? Tell me Natalie?" I sighed

"It's all make-believe Lydia." I knew it wasn't. I talked to my Grandpa. things were different when he was around. There was no fighting. There was no screaming. I didn't hear the sound of breaking glass every night before i fell asleep.

"If it's all make-believe, then why do you beleive it? I want to be part of the Make-believe too." Now it was my turn to cry. I wanted to tell her so much. But what i did at night. That was just for me. I looked down at my 12 year old sister. How do you explain to someone that there are something that wont be told. even when you want to? she needed real things as much as needed my own made up one.

"Without my make-believe, i wouldn't survive the real world, Lydia. Maybe without the real world, you wont survive the make-believe."

I felt her nod against my chest, and sighed again. I prayed silently in my heart.

Lydia lifted her hear. Smiling for the first time in weeks. Then she said the best words a sister can hear:

"I'm proud of you, Natalie. I'm proud your my sister." And for one, I smiled back.

Mon May 09, 2005 1:19 am
Rei wrote a review...

Very nice. The characters feel very real. You make me want to care about them, and the situation they are in. It's all very believable. Your sentnce-structure could use a little work. It's not that it's incorrect, but there are a few that are longer than they need to be. Like saying the moon was in the sky. We all know that's where the moon is. Just saying that you could see the full moon, or the new moon, is enough. I might just be forgetting what happened in the first part, but did you show Natalie talking to her grandfather's spirit/ghost? If not, this scene would mean a whole lot more if you did.

Good work. I look forward to reading more.

Bananas
— looseleaf