16+

No Witnesses, Pt. 2

by AceassinOfTheMoon

"Yammy?"

I looked over at my twin sister, barely visible in the dim light and covered in the too-large, ragged coat she had dug out of a dumpster the other day, and gave her a questioning look.

"Can we go home yet?"

"No," I snapped. "We can't go home."

"But it's cold, and I'm hungry, and I want Mommy."

blood on the floor, red dripping off the knife as it plunged into Mommy's heart over and over, Daddy's whisper of "no witnesses"

"Mommy left us, remember?" I replied. "We're on an adventure now."

"Adventures are supposed to be fun," Kamea said stubbornly. "This isn't fun. I wanna go home."

"We don't have a home anymore!"

Baby Astra stirred in my arms, nearly causing me to drop her. Her face screwed up, and I realized she was about to start crying. Quickly, I shoved my hand over her mouth, anxiously looking over my shoulder at the mouth of the alleyway to make sure there wasn't anyone there to hear. 

If anyone found us... I didn't know what would happen, but the sick feeling in my stomach told me it wouldn't be good.

They might take us back to Daddy.

No witnesses.

Kamea seemed taken aback at my outburst. She pulled the collar of her jacket up and over her face, hiding it from me. 

"Okay," she mumbled.

I bit my lip. "Kamea, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell-"

"I said okay," she said firmly, this time turning her back to me.

Tears pricked at my eyes, and I left her alone. 

It was time to sleep anyway.

I woke up the next morning to the sound of guitar chords being played badly in my ear. 

For a moment, I panicked, sitting bolt upright and nearly dropping Astra on the ground.

"Kamea!" I yelped.

The guitar chords stopped, and my sister looked at me questioningly from behind the guitar she was holding on her lap, laying on its back instead of the proper way you should hold a guitar. It was almost as big as she was and she had to stretch to reach the furthest strings.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"Where in God's name did you get that?" I demanded, hushing Astra as she began to cry. 

"Don't swear," Kamea said sternly.

"Where did you get that?" I repeated. 

"Home."

"YOU WENT HOME?" I shrieked. Astra began to cry harder at my tone.

"You made the baby cry-"

"KAMEA!"

"I couldn't leave Mommy's guitar!" she yelped. "It's all we have left of her!" 

My eyes travelled down the body of the instrument to the three gold letters imprinted in the wood.

D.E.W.

Mommy's initials. 

"I told you we couldn't go back home!" I shouted. 

"And I think we can!" Kamea shouted back. "I went home and got Mommy's guitar and some of her music notebooks and nothing happened to me!"

"You didn't- you didn't see anything?" I asked, trying to bring my voice down to a reasonable level.

Can't be found. No witnesses.

"Was there anything to see?" Kamea asked curiously.

"No! No, there wasn't, I was- I was just wondering," I stammered.

She didn't know. Daddy must've- cleaned up. Maybe someone else.

She didn't know. She was still safe.

I realized Kamea was looking at me warily, as if she was expecting me to start yelling again.

"Do I have to take it back?" she asked hesitantly.

"N-no, you can keep it," I said, rocking Astra and trying to calm her down a little. "Just- don't go back again without telling me, okay?"

"Why-"

"It's better this way, okay?"

She accepted that. I knew she would.

"Can we have breakfast now?" she said, setting the guitar aside, careful not to put it in the large puddle that had collected around us overnight. "I'm hungry."

"I'll see what I can do," I promised.

Hi AceassinOfTheMoon,

I didn't even know the short story had evolved into a novel until I saw the third part in the Green Room. I'm glad to see that. 😊

The first dialogue between the two is very good and reminds me of that typical bickering between siblings or between the child and parent on a car ride. ("Are we there yet?") The narrator's brief train of thought is also good, and gives you another quick review of what happened.

That already gave me a brief twinge. It's such a simple yet expressive sentence that probably describes the whole situation very well. It also gives a very valuable insight into the two twins, and what personalities they have.

They might take us back to Daddy.

Before, you wrote the thoughts in italic, so it should be the same here, or as in the next paragraph. Otherwise it can be a bit confusing for the reader, because even with a first-person narrator there is a difference between the descriptions of the outside world and the inside world.

"Don't swear," Kamea said sternly.

Now I don't know to what extent God's name is an English swear word. Either it would have to be changed or Kamea's sentence would have to be changed a little.

Where I'm a little unsure is how much time happened between the escape and now in this chapter. That seemed a little unclear to me, and with the introduction of Mother's guitar, I think a few days could have passed. Also, I found it a little unclear where exactly they were now, as this was not stated anywhere in the text. (Further on in the forest? In a back alley, etc...?) That's probably the only criticism I have now.

I like how one learns more about the siblings in this chapter. The dialogue is well written and doesn't seem "special". Something I'm burning to know is what the relationship between Kamea and the narrator was like before the murder. Because it's a bit strained here. What I like is how the narrator and Kamea differ in character, even though they are twins and therefore the same age.

Now I'm just wondering where the plot will take one. I can understand that the story has to falter a bit now to get used to the new situation. That's why I wonder what the coming chapters will bring. :D

I was very happy to see that the story continues and I will keep following it.

Have fun with the writing!

Mailice.

BEASTtheHUN wrote a review...

I really like this chapter, or part, whatever. Anyway, the imagery is good, I can envision this in my head right now, and that's a good sign. I like the idea, it's well thought out. I enjoy the flow, it is very good, and it helps your story out a lot, not that it needed help, it was very good. Tag me on the next part, please.

Riverlight wrote a review...

Hey, Cham!

So, I'm here to review part two of this. I wasn't sure if you'd build on this or reveal how Deserae and Avanya switched places in your other story, but I'm excited to see everything you end up writing because BACKSTORY <.<

oof poor Yamren ToT She knows all of this well she thinks she does XD. I really hope that Deserae just kinda... faked her death and then... I dunno, killed her "husband"... and is kinda like "welp, I'll see the kids one day, better go check on my other 50 children between now and then."

But I'm less POed at Deserae than I am at Avanya.

[i]Why the hell did you choose your sister??? As a babysitter??????? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU????[/s]

Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!!

~Vilnius

XDDDDD
hehehehhehehehe bold of you to assume Astra's Avanya's kid

Thanks for the review!!

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:21 am
stygianmoon17 wrote a review...

Wee I can't believe you made a part 2 !!
When I reviewed the first part, it was a pretty old work, for YWS standards at least, and I just kinda gave up on a follow up. But nope, you made it. I'm so excited ^^

I love where you're taking this story. There's so many things I imagine you could take this, and I really can't wait for the rest ^^

There's not much criticism I have towards this chapter, I felt like it was nevertheless, a bit less powerful than the first chapter, but at the same time no one is brutally murdered here. And it's nice to see them interact in another way than in fear. I have a feeling that the MC is slowly becoming her dad tho. Her sudden outbursts. The way she talks. Or even simply the fact she hates her baby sister. But I might be overthinking it. It'd be a hell of a twist if that's where ur taking your story tho.

The way the MC takes on herself the role of protector of her sisters, even tho she despises the little one, is a nice little touch. It shows that even if she hates Astra for bringing all this upon her family, she loves her mother too much to just abandon her. Speaking of Astra..
Where does she come from? Who is she? Who are her parents?
I hope you explore those, even if they're as simple as "her parents are a poor family that abandoned her at birth", because for all I know, she might be a demon sent from hell to murder everyone. It's most probably not that, but who knows.

And the MC as well as her sister have a family no? Like grandparents, cousins, uncles.. will they take refuge there? On a second thought that's a horrible idea. They'll just send them back to their father. But they went to school I suppose, so they'd have friends. I mean if you're gonna write a runaway type of story, they can't continue living on the streets forever. Or maybe they can, but going to their family or their friends raises the tension.
I'm kinda trying to guess what's gonna happen after really xD I just can't wait to read how it all wraps up <3

Please tag me for future chapters <33

Thank you for your review!!! I'll be sure to tag you <33

"The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening