Camera

by Abigail_W.

I'm not sure whether the last sentiment is overused or not; that's why I'm asking you. I got the idea of the story when taking a walk on the beach and taking photos. I deleted all the bad ones, and I thought it would be nice just to have a memory like that of a camera.

~~~~~~~~~~

Do you remember those silly little quarrels we used to have on the beach – the ones we look back at now and giggle about? Remember playing “baby wrestling” on the couch, then falling asleep on the floor together with the television blaring? And remember how you took that photo of me on the first day of kindergarten with my Power Puff Girls backpack. I still have it on my bulletin board, though it’s acquired a bit of dust.

And then, when the family would get together for Thanksgiving dinner, all the adults would talk about the Big Dig and the Big Bang Theory and 9/11. And I was just so little that I became worried about tiles falling in tunnels and the universe I had falsely believed was perpetual and planes crashing into buildings.

But then, the fat turkey that I refused to eat was placed on the table, and we’d all have to go around and say what we were thankful for. Over the years, you said “music” and you said “the Red Sox” and you said “sleep” and you said “food” and you said “dance” and you said “photography” and you said “my job.” But I was just so young and oblivious to the nature of my older peers that I simply said, in a tiny voice, hugging one a bit closer to me, “I’m thankful for my dolls.”

Now, wouldn’t it be nice if our memories were like those of cameras; we could just delete the unwanted pictures and thoughts and cling to those most dear to us? And, if my mind were formulated in such a way, I would only keep the photos of the times I’ve had with you.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:56 pm

Well this is a lovely little start here. The nostalgia notes are very, very strong with this one and I am love the general vibe that this one is managing to create here. You're really leaning in quite powerfully to these memories and even if we hardly really know this person here or the family they're talking about, its still quite powerfully relatable and you get hit by a very similar wave of nostalgia. Certainly a lovely place to open this particular chapter here, I can't wait to see where you go with this.

Hmm well that brings it to an intriguing ending there. I honestly don't quite know what to make of that ending there. I feel like it somehow ends up disrupting the flow of nostalgia a bit. I can see what you're sort of trying to aim for with it, but it just doesn't really work. It feels like a bit of a mismatched puzzle piece there somehow. It just seems like the perfect ending for a nostalgic story like this, but no quite this one. I feel like you need to maybe take a moment and try to either refocus on the idea of this one you a little more prominently and definitely add in a little more of a reference to a camera before this ending fits in a bit more snugly.

tgirly wrote a review...

It's interesting, but I don't feel like the last paragraph goes with the rest. I like the last paragraph, though. I think you could probably work on making the last paragraph mesh with the rest a little bit. That's about it though, hope it helped! :P
-tgirly

Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:51 am
elle21 says...

Iliked it. It made me smile. It's simple and cute. The only thing that I didn't like was the repetitive use of starting sentences I don't know it that's and actual grammar problem or just my own little pet peeve. But no matter good job!

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash