z

Young Writers Society



The Watcher (temporary title)

by AWritersFantasy


I started writing that Watcher story I posted about, and I finished the first scene.

Notes:

-Not really looking for grammar/spelling type stuff to be pointed out at this point. I tend to save that stuff for the next draft so that it doesn't frustrate me when I go to edit. I guess you can point it out if you absolutely feel the need to, but I'd prefer it if it was saved until I can finish this story, if and when that happens.

-I'm unsure about the paragraph that starts with "It was not until I was eighteen..." I think it might be a "show, don't tell" thing, so please let me know if I'm right about this and I'll probably fix it.

-I have no ideas for the title to this story, or even the title to this chapter. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I know there isn't much to base a title on because it's only one scene, so. x.x

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm not sure whether or not I want this to be in third or first person. My last story (Chronicles) is/was in first person, so I wouldn't mind changing it to third person. What do you guys think?

---------

My first few years training to become an Eidolan- or more commonly, a Watcher- were rather boring, but despite that, I wanted more than anything to become one. I suppose it’s because my parents were both Watchers in their youth. After a few years, my mother took a break from Watching to take care of me once I was born, but my father continued.

The Watchers aren’t by any means an evil race, despite what one might think from their name. They’re human, with limited magical abilities. The main ability they use to Watch is their ability to become invisible and walk without sound, no matter where they are.

It was not until I was eighteen that I left my home to begin my training, since this was the traditional age. The first three years are spent learning how to control your abilities, inborn or otherwise. Once a trainee graduates, they are finally given their first assignment. The village I was born and raised in was right near where the Academy was, but once you enter the Academy to begin your training, you are rarely given the chance to visit your family in the village.

Watchers are assigned one person to Watch over. In some cases, they continue watching the same person before starting to watch an offspring.

The best place to start would be just a few days before I was supposed to graduate and be given my first assignment. To graduate, you aren’t just given a piece of parchment and told you’re a graduate. You have to face one of three tests, and pass based on the Council’s judgment. The test is always different, varying for each person.

Admittedly, I was what one might call a klutz. I would trip over my feet, or somehow mess up when trying to use one of my magic abilities in front of one of the members of the Council, the leaders of the Watchers.

My only saving grace seemed to be that Erabus, a member of the Council, had so much faith in my abilities, and looked past my clumsiness.

Four days before my test, I was in the woods by the Academy with Erabus, trying to practice and ready myself for whatever test the Council would throw at me.

Erabus was one of the younger members of the Council compared to the other members. He had graying hair pulled back in to a short ponytail, with intense blue eyes. He wore the traditional black cloak of the Council, with a single jewel pinned on to it to hold it at his neck. Erabus walked at a fast pace, and I had to rush to try and keep up with him.

“Keep up, now, Santavana,” Erabus called over his shoulder.

I frowned, “Please don’t call me that.”

Erabus gave a short chuckle, “Well, what would you have me call you? Nameless girl?”

I rolled my eyes as I finally caught up to his side, “Your jokes are getting as bad as the ones my father tries to tell.”

“Sadly, I learned most of them from him,” Erabus replied. “We’ll be there soon.”

I didn’t know where he was taking me, which was common when I’d venture in to the forest with him, but not knowing seemed to excite things for me.

As I walked along the forest path and watched the various creatures of the forest, I was distracted by the various chirps and movements that they made; too distracted, because I soon found myself bumping right in to Erabus, who had stopped in the middle of a clearing.

Erabus looked in annoyance over his shoulder at me, one eyebrow raised. My shoulders slumped as I tried to display an innocent smile before moving away from him before I could cause any more damage.

“Now . . . one of the first things the Council will want to make sure you can do is Watch properly,” Erabus began. He waved his hand, and within a few seconds the forest disappeared and in its place was the illusion of part of a village, only reaching the limits of the clearing we stood in. “Your job is to Watch any one of the villagers in this clearing, without being seen by them.” With the wave of his hand, a few villagers began to appear, going about their business. Erabus stood back and watched as I began my task.

Letting out a breath, I reached up to the green jewel that I wore at my neck just as Erabus wore his and touched it, closing my eyes. It’s hard to explain how simply touching the jewel will make the wearer become invisible, but it somehow does.

When I opened my eyes, I looked around and saw the villagers going about their business. I took a few steps forward and none of the villagers noticed me. I then moved to stand in front of one villager, who was trying to sell loafs of bread to the other villagers. Standing right in front of them, they saw nothing. I waved a hand in front of the villager’s face; nothing. I began walking in a circle, in the middle of the clearing, and the villagers continued on without seeing me.

I looked up at Erabus and shrugged. When he gave a nod of approval, I reached up to my jewel and held my fingers on it for a moment. Erabus waved his hand, and the village, along with its inhabitants, disappeared as he walked toward me.

“Very good, Avana,” he praised. “Perhaps you’ll pass this test yet.”

“Thank you, Erabus,” I replied with a smile. “I hope I do. I don’t even want to think of what my father would say if I didn’t pass.”

Erabus considered this for a moment. “He might be disappointed, but I think he knows that being a Watcher isn’t something that’s for everyone, and there are more than enough other things you could do with your life. For example, you are very knowledgeable in various subjects, and it’s just a matter of using that knowledge to your advantage to find what you’ll do in life,” he replied.

I gave a short laugh, “He might be disappointed? Erabus, it’s been his dream to see me become a Watcher since the moment he found out my mother was pregnant with me. He’s been putting pressure on me to become a Watcher for as long as I can remember.” I shook my head. “If I didn’t become a Watcher, he would be disappointed in me, and he’s not exactly the type to hide his disappointment.”

Especially since I am his only child, I thought.

Erabus gave a slow nod, “Perhaps you are right, Avana. But he won’t love you any less for it. Come, let’s return to the Academy. You’ve still got some learning to do and only a few more days to do it in.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 9682
Reviews: 156

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:11 am
McMourning wrote a review...



Hello, again!
I was looking forward to read this story, when you first proposed the idea of the Watchers. And, I'm glad I read it today.

AWritersFantasy wrote:My first few years training to become an Eidolan- or more commonly, a Watcher- were rather boring, but despite that, I wanted more than anything to become one.
Sorry, but I just had to point out that it should be two dashes. In Microsoft Word, two dashes followed by a word (not a space) automatically turns to a hyphen (or whatever they're called). See:
My first few years training to become an Eidolan—or more commonly, a Watcher—were rather boring, but despite that, I wanted more than anything to become one.

AWritersFantasy wrote:Letting out a breath, I reached up to the green jewel that I wore at my neck just as Erabus wore his and touched it, closing my eyes. It’s hard to explain how simply touching the jewel will make the wearer become invisible, but it somehow does.
It's not necessary to say, "But it somehow does." Or, you could explain it something like:
It's hard to explain how simply touching the jewel activates an invisibility shield.


AWritersFantasy wrote:When I opened my eyes, I looked around and saw the villagers going about their business. I took a few steps forward and none of the villagers noticed me. I then moved to stand in front of one villager, who was trying to sell loafs of bread to the other villagers. Standing right in front of them, they saw nothing. I waved a hand in front of the villager’s face; nothing. I began walking in a circle, in the middle of the clearing, and the villagers continued on without seeing me.
I kept rereading this paragraph, looking for emotions, but I found none. I believe that adding Avana's emotions (confusion, perhaps?) would improve the story.

Good Luck!

McMourning




User avatar
59 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 59

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:17 am
AWritersFantasy says...



Yeah, this is basically what I meant. :) Anything other than "hey, that was good, keep writing," because I tend to like semi-lengthy descriptive type critiques more than a one sentence critique (but that's because I'm curious to know more about what people think).

As far as that paragraph goes, yeah, I see what you mean. I'll fix that. ^_^

And with the length, I definitely plan on writing more, but someone who critiqued it earlier today gave me an idea (which was to skip all of the stuff before the first piece of dialogue), so I plan on fixing this scene up by doing that and then making it longer, and I'll also write the next scene. I don't normally post stories scene by scene, but this is something I want a good amount of feedback on. The WIP I was writing for almost two years has been almost done since like...God, September, maybe? I've been on the last chapter for that long, and because I haven't posted it scene by scene, there's been nothing for people to critique of mine, and now I don't plan on finishing it any time soon. o___o So yeah. I'm trying something new. ^_^




User avatar
514 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 514

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:02 am
JC wrote a review...



K, So I read it. And now I'm at a loss for what to do.

-Not really looking for grammar/spelling type stuff to be pointed out at this point. I tend to save that stuff for the next draft so that it doesn't frustrate me when I go to edit. I guess you can point it out if you absolutely feel the need to, but I'd prefer it if it was saved until I can finish this story, if and when that happens.


what do you want me to do then? I mean, I guess I could tell you my opinion, or something....I guess I'll do that...

I liked the concept, of a watcher and the test thing. although I was unsure of what a watcher was until...well the test. That's okay with me though. The writing was good too. My only problem would be the third to last paragraph

I gave a short laugh, “He might be disappointed? Erabus, it’s been his dream to see me become a Watcher since the moment he found out my mother was pregnant with me. He’s been putting pressure on me to become a Watcher for as long as I can remember.” I shook my head. “If I didn't’t become a Watcher, he would be disappointed in me, and he’s not exactly the type to hide his disappointment.”


You said watcher a lot, try to find a way to avoid that, because it got really repetitive, and I had to read it over again just to see if it really bugged me that much. It did.

Yeah, so overall it was good. Personally I would have liked to read something a tad bit longer, but that's your decision, not mine.

Keep up the good work!





find your aesthetic and flaunt it
— manilla