colors of the rainbow

by APoltergeist

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

***Content Warning; mentions of self-harm, and a whole underlying theme of suicide.***

RED is for blood 

d

r

i

p,

d

r

i

p,

d

r

i

p

p

i

n

g

down freckled arms;

s

l

i

d

i

n

g

into still-bleeding scars,

leaving

s

t

r

e

a

k

s

of brilliant crimson

on pale flesh.

For the feeling of adrenaline

pum-

pump-

pumping 

through blue veins

as cold iron slices

through them.

YELLOW is for bubble-clouded eyes 

and hearts 

as your message 

appears on the screen

black on blue background,

but still yellow to me.

For the happiest time of my life,

the color of a simple hello

from five years ago,

tucked away in my \m/i/n\d/.

ORANGE is for fire

licking dangerously

at nibbled fingertips;

burn marks fresh.

For the way fire bites,

heavy and cloying is

the scent 

of bUrNiNg skin.

For the warning signs F L A S H I N G

out at me from the side streets;

always present but completely ignored.

For dandelions, pretty 

but they're only

infectious

W E E D S.

Like me. 

W

o   

r

m

i

n  

g

into places where they 

so clearly don't belong.

GREEN is for green M&Ms,

my least favorite candy and color

but you always argued with me

that M&Ms were better than Skittles

(which they're not)

but now I realize

it was a way to distract me

from the messy rearrangements my organs like to make

in the breaths between sentences,

in the pause between words,

so that i had no need

for iron and nails

to tear apart my body

piece by piece

until i'm nothing but scraps of human

and shadow

BLUE is for mushrooms,

the best kind, the impossible kind.

It's for delicate veins spiraling underneath skin,

an intricate web of kindness that only you could have.

PURPLE is for the bruises

lining my b a t t e r e d

and b/r/ok\\e\n body.

It's for sickly sweet grapes;

artificial,

like the people i call friends.

You were never grapes,

you were salty butter,

m

e

l

t

i

n

g

on my tongue,

the crisp, sharp taste of tart black cherries

that aren't really black, but the richest purple.

***

We were the colors of the rainbow,

messy and BRIGHT,

but now i am only

blacks and whites.

Rubes07 wrote a review...

Not much else to say but WOW! I love the way that you structured the "drip, drip, dripping...sliding" section; it brought so much emphasis. I also really liked how you used the theme of colours to relate to the variety of themes underneath the umbrella of mental health. Really hoping to read more from you!!

Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:45 am
avianwings47 wrote a review...

Hello hello hello, fellow author! I saw your work and decided to deliver a bird-themed review for you, partially inspired by the YWS S'more Method! Let’s dive right into it! (Bird-style, of course)

Bird’s-Eye View: First Impressions!
I LOVE color metaphors. When I first saw this, I knew I had to check it out. And I was not disappointed! This was a very personal piece that delved into the emotions of losing someone of importance, and possibly the loss of one's own stability.

Now, as for this next part, it is purely my interpretation of the poem and what I got from it. If I'm going in a completely different direction than you intended then you can correct me if you would like. These are just what I personally took from the poem. Hopefully, this will give you a sense of how you portrayed this piece. :D

What I interpreted from this piece was that the narrator fell into a state of depression after losing someone close to them. From the line, "you were like butter/ m e l t i n g / against my tongue" I got the idea that this was a romantic relationship. Not only that, but it seemed that the narrator was almost dependent on this person, as it is previously described that this person kept bad feelings at bay. Specifically with this idea, we get the line, "so that i had no need / for iron and nails / to tear apart my body," insinuating that this person prevented or distracted the narrator from hurting themself. And when the person they loved left, the narrator is left in "blacks and whites," seemingly all joy gone from their life.

Flying High: Things I Loved!
As I said before, I love color metaphors. I feel you did a really good job with this, specifically choosing colors that meant something to you and this relationship. It really all ties together in the last line, as well, when you write,

We were the colors of the rainbow,
messy and BRIGHT,
but now i am only
blacks and whites.

*Please ignore my lack of proper structure here; I really didn't want to write all the code in.*
This idea is also enforced by bolding different words that relate to darkness or the color black, which I thought was super clever! It really made me go "Ohhhh" at the end! :D

I also feel you did an amazing job at conveying emotion in this piece. I could feel the emotions you described in this piece, which, to me, is always a good indication of well-portrayed emotions. This poem felt very vulnerable, and I am very glad you shared it! I love the uniqueness of this poem, (and all of your poems) and loved it all together.

Bird Song: Favorite Lines!
as cold iron slices
through them.

The funny thing about this line is that I originally thought of the actual iron that is in our veins, but then I thought, "yeah I don't think that's what it means..." Still, I thought this line had a lot of emotion attached to it. The word choice you used here allowed for a nice flow as I read.

It's for sickly sweet grapes;
artificial,
like the people i call friends.
You were never grapes

I love the extended metaphor here! You continued the the idea of grapes and describing people as food into the next line, which made it easy to connect meaning to the people you described. I also thought you were spot-on with describing purple as "artificial grapes."

*Also thought I'd add that I absolutely adored the last stanza*

Preen Your Feathers: A Bit of Advice!
I'm going to be really picky here because I didn't find anything inherently wrong with this poem, but I still want to provide a helpful critique. As always, take and leave what you please!

One thing I'll point out here is a spot of "hmmm." In lack of other words.
as your message
appears on the screen
black on blue background,

I mean, as for my screen, the text bubbles are usually blue and the background is black, so it made me wonder if there was a mix-up there. However, I know that different platforms and phones look different, so this could have been intentional. I thought I would point it out anyway!

There were two spots in this poem when you described veins as "delicate." This is fine and I didn't even notice it on the first read-through, but to avoid repetition, consider a different word.

into still bleeding scars,

In this line, if you were intending that the scars are "still bleeding" and not yet healed, then a hyphen would be appropriate.

Again, these are honestly just super tiny details, but I really wanted to find something to provide a helpful review. This poem was amazing!

Lifting Off: Closing Thoughts!
Overall, this was a touching poem that told an intricate story. With the use of different colors, all representing something unique about the relationship, you conveyed deep emotions and memories throughout the piece. The intricate structure and stylistic choices add meaning and symbolism to the words ou chose. This poem was very beautiful and kept me wanting to read. I look forward to your next piece!

May the birds sing to you, and keep on writing! -Avian

APoltergeist says...

Aww, I appreciate this review so much. I know how hard it is to find problems with poetry, especially freeform poetry (which is why I avoid reviewing it like the plague) and I'm glad you took the time to nitpick some things out!

I know that line about the colors of the messages is really odd and appears backwards, but I promise that is completely intended. We didn't meet texting and instead on an online RP site, hence the color scheme.

I'll fix the 'delicate' repetitions, I didn't even notice when I was rereading through it. I think I did that because all of my blue chunks got deleted by accident when I reloaded before saving. There was supposed to be more but I had to rewrite it with a really frustrated attitude and I forgot a little piece in there plus the repetition.

Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:16 pm
1TryingBird wrote a review...

Hey, Polt, I find it only appropriate that I review this bold and unique poem with my custom, and first, template:

RAINBOW

RED: | Energy

1. As much as I hate it, there were no errors in this poem, whatsoever. due to it being a free written poem, and a good one at that.
  2. Though I do recommend checking out other styles of writing poems, as this one is hard on the eyes a bit.

ORANGE: | Success
  1. At first glance this may look like another sad love poem… but it isn’t. It is a look at how sometimes the truth can burn, and some people prefer not to have that scar.
  2. If you keep writing things like this Polt, I really think you could go somewhere! KEEP IT UP!!!

YELLOW: | Happiness
  1. Honestly, the whole poem, and the way you formatted it was good, the word usage is minimal but still clear, which I love to see.
  2. And like the last one, making the words look like what they are is another bonus!
    you were salty butter,

m

e

l

t

i

n

g

on my tongue,

GREEN: | Quality
  1. I really think you could have added more to it, like the actual ROYGBIV rainbow pattern, but like i did with this layout, I just put purple, so good for you.

BLUE: | Loyalty
  1. The part where you mention being torn apart by iron and nails, I assume you meant prosthetics, or robotics? Maybe medical instruments? That was nice, But you could’ve been more specific or delved deeper into that.
    so that i had no need

for iron and nails

to tear apart my body

piece by piece

until i’m nothing but scraps of human

PURPLE: | Luxury
  1. Though this poem didn’t relate to me at all, I still took something from it, no matter what the majority says, sometimes the minority is right, and sometimes when something does not feel right to you, its usually your gut-feeling, and you should listen to both.

5 star poem, 5 star writer

APoltergeist says...

Thank you for the review ^^

I did try to do colors but it simply wasn't working for me, so I stopped.

Also, in your Blue/Loyalty section where you mention prosthetics, I'm afraid that has nothing to do with it. Iron was referring to a knife, since when you think of those, you typically think of the blade as iron and the nails were fingernails, since that specifically has a very much deeper meaning to me.

As for the layout of this poem, I'm not sure how to format a poem "properly" with rhyming words and whatnot. I'm not good at it, so I much prefer this freeform style.

1TryingBird says...

Check out my Book Of Poems Vol.1 and see how I format the poems. But, I see you are a big fan of free-writing poems, which is great. But, occasionally, you should use metre in your poems to add a sort of rhythm. I like your style, but it is fun to always explore the other styles as well.

Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns