Back in Black

by AEChronicle

Back in Black

Black, is the new Red. No Wall-E intended.

Besides being one of the greatest songs ever written, Back in Black seems to be a theme which is dominating the world of literacy, especially popular with young writers and readers. The ‘popular’ has become the dark and the mysterious.

The question we have to ask now is; why, and how, did we make the major switch from dancing disco, tie dye bell bottoms, and the Andy Griffith show, to Black? It’s a big swing, but definitely not a miss. Books such as the Twilight series (don’t even get me started) and the Hunger Games series have made it to the tops of the lists, becoming some of the most popular books for Young Adults in a relatively short amount of time. Books which are full of violence and murder. Their themes are generally dark and morbid, post apocalyptic, revolving around death and decay.

So what makes these so popular over other books with much lighter and joyful themes? Like the title says, it’s all about Black. Allow me to explain. Throughout the course of history, throughout the course of time, humans have always had Heroes. Whether they be fictional Knights in armor shining, real men like Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr, or bad A superheroes such as Batman, whom, by the way, is possibly the greatest superhero ever invented. I mean, come on! He’s a rich billionaire who spends his days running around beating up bad guys with his super charged tank, leaping off of buildings and frolicking with bats. It also helps that he’s played by Christian Bale. But that’s beside the point! Where would Batman be without the Joker? Just a mask. Nothing more. Our Heroes need the villains. It’s an odd relationship, the villains can survive wherever and whenever they like, but the Heroes aren’t Heroes unless they throw down on the evil genius. That’s also beside the point. The fact is, we have to have the Black. We have to have the villains and the Dragons and the zombies, otherwise we have no story.

But, I fear that still hasn’t answered the real question. It seems that youth today are drawn towards the dark and mysterious for a myriad of reasons. Let’s take a little while to explore them.

1. EPIC! This is probably the most prevalent reason out there. Black is just so dang cool, and there’s nothing wrong with that. The color black is cool, but that’s not what I mean. I’m talking about the dark, the hungry, the big and the bad and the ugly. We idolize the superheroes, but, in the end, it’s always the villains with the cool dance moves that take the cake, the reason being that we are intrigued by them. We don’t know a lot about them, we don’t always know their motives. The Hero, on the other hand, is almost always in the light, everyone knows who he is. Except for Batman, he’s the exception to the rule. But, that’s not the only reason. At one point in history, bad was bad and good was good. Now, the lines seem to have blurred a little. Excuse me…a lot. Now we can’t always be sure if what we are seeing is evil or not. The villains have gotten craftier, more devilish. So, we are left to wonder about them. And this gets people interested. This is mostly caused by the movie industry. Rather than giving the good guy all of the cool gadgets, it has started to become a common theme that the bad guy is always the one with all of the good stuff. They always have the sweet outfits. They always drive the best cars (nothing is better than Batman’s tumbler, though.) And they always have the hot girlfriends and the tight clothes and the witty sayings. From this perspective, it’s easy to see why people would like the villains.

2. For some reason, humans seem to be drawn to the shadows. I myself find it strange that I am constantly reading and writing about darkness. It may not be my theme, but it’s always there, always permeating through the pages. I suppose that it intrigues us because we are naturally creatures of light, though some may beg to differ. The world may have a lot of bad in it, but there’s still more good. It’s kind of like a zebra, black with white stripes, or white with black stripes? I can’t remember how many black stripes Marty had? But we, as humans, are drawn to that which we do not know or understand or have. Hence, the Black.

3. Leading the Rebelution. Black as a color is naturally rebellious. Being dark and colorless, it was once a sign that one was rebelling against society. Now, society has mixed the paint cans all up, and black is just the normal thing to wear. It’s hip and cool even. But Black itself, the dark, is rebelling against the whole world and Mother Nature herself. In some ways, this isn’t a bad thing. People need an escape. But, in many cases, it is simply a sign that some people are withdrawing from the common knowledge of morals that has existed since the beginning of time.

4. I have heard it often enough from people. They say that the world is just a dark and terrible place, and there’s no escape. I would have to agree in a lot of instances. People, and especially young adults, find that they enjoy reading and writing about the Black because, at least in these stories, there is a Hero! When this thought hit me, I was blown away. But think about it. Where are they? I’m sure we can find some examples which are noteworthy, but it seems that the time of the Hero has come and gone.

So now, we are left with only one question left; is this a good thing? Black is cool, black is slick and mean and a bad-A fighting machine. But what’s the cost for our enjoyment? How much more can the world stand? It’s an interesting thought, and it has gotten me thinking.

Now I like Batman, and he dresses in all black, drives in all black, and probably even thinks in all black. But at least he’s out there doing what he was meant to do, being that Hero. I may not have wings, I may not have millions to buy myself an underground base. I may not even have the gumption to get out of my chair. But do I have to? I have, at my finger tips, the very tool that is changing the world we live in. Can I not use Black to bring out the White in us all? I, for one, am not going to pass up the moment.

-AE-

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:46 pm
Wriskypump wrote a review...

hmm...

This is a topic I have given brief thought to, but always wanted to further meditate upon.
I have noticed this trend, and all the things you have pointed out are pretty true, I think.
I write about dark stuff, especially trying to get at the root of human nature in doing so, which I happen to believe is dark in itself. Having said that, I think it just takes some effort on the part of the person if they want to overcome those dark instincts. Since, in my opinion, it is a big part of ourselves, it only seems fitting we want to read/write about it. I don't see it as a bad thing, especially if there is a Hero that conquers the evil. However as you mentioned, lines are blurred and all that stuff, so what actually qualifies as good or evil differs in the mind from person to person. And I like the villains to have advantages over the Hero in several categories because that is kind of how it is in reality: evil seems to pop up in overwhelming numbers in proportion to the light that seems few and far between the agents of blackness, like the flame of a tiny struck match wavering in a dark corner all too easily snuffed out if not protected. I think that yes, we can show the black as prominent, powerful, and fearful. So long as we do not advocate or grow indifferent to the darkside (have the bad guys as celebrated heroes or shrug them off as someone else's problem) then I think we can use the "Black to bring out the White in us all."

AEChronicle says...

I'm glad you've seen the whole point of my article. Thanks for the read and the review :)

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:19 am
Caiti97 wrote a review...

Your title is really appealing! As my favorite color is admittedly black, I couldn't help reading your essay, and I really enjoyed it! Rather than just stating the facts, however, I think that your article could be stronger if you incorporated an argumentative point in the beginning. In your first paragraph you may want to at least hint at the reasons for the increasing ubiquity of black in modern culture. Avoid using the same word (like cool) over and over. I especially liked your argument that the hero is nothing without the villain, but you may want to relate it back to the argument about the dominance of the color black for a larger impact. The end of your piece is really strong, and I think that all of the numbered arguments were well supported. It's smart of you to stick to topics that people can relate to and it heightens the importance and understandability of your argument.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:04 am
PrehistoricEchoes wrote a review...

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time now. It seems we've said farewell to the good old-fashioned hero who did good because it was right and because that was who he was. We instead traded him off for near-psychotics who act like nuts. Heck, even Superman seemed to succumb to this now...
It's for reasons like this why Captain America and Spider Man (from the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, not those new movies) became my favorite super heroes. Cap is just a good guy. That's it. He wants to do good to do good. Not because of some tragic backstory, but because he just wants to do good. Spider Man, on the other hand, is a flawed hero. However, he's not brooding and tragic (at least in the series I'm talking about. The new movies, not so much.) Instead, he is the everyman. He cares for his aunt, for his friends, for those around him, and wants to do what is right, but also what will help him in the long run.
Meh, I could go on for hours about this. Either way, this is a good essay, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The four points presented some great backup to your theory.
I also really like this line: "Can I not use Black to bring out the White in us all?" I really hope you do. We need a lot of truly good heroes now. I hope that the "white" of peoples' souls starts returning to fiction someday. I'm striving to do that as well.

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria