z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

The Sticks [Chapter Five] - REVISED

by 4revgreen


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

5. Present Day

When I awoke in the morning, every inch of my body ached from having been curled up in the floor all night. I didn’t dream, or at least if I did, I didn’t remember it. A searing pair shot up my spine as I pushed myself to my feet and stumbled forwards into the mess that was my flat, and every bone clicked as I stretched myself out in the lounge. All around me were piles of crap; empty take away boxes, dirty clothes, half used pots of paint. Abandoned paintings were strewn across the sofa, a mixture of mine and Starry’s. You could tell which ones were hers - the ones painted with warm autumn shades. The sweeping summer sunsets and golden girls laying on golden beaches, each brushstroke deliberate and meaningful. I pulled one out from underneath a coffee stained cushion and traced my fingertips over the initials signed in the corner. S L H. Starry Luella Hale - a name as stupid as my own. I let it fall from my grip and land amongst shards of glass that had once belonged to a photo frame. The shards were covered in dust now, but they still cut equally as deep. As I stepped forward, my foot pressed down onto a stray shared I hadn’t noticed yet. I winced as warm blood trickled down my skin and dripped onto the carpet, staining it crimson.

There was no natural light in the room, so I limped over to the windows and drew back the heavy curtains, leaving a trail of blood behind me. There were dozens of dead flies, all cocooned in a month's worth of dust. Each one had flown to the window in an attempt to escape, and yet had found itself more trapped than before. That’s how I felt then, staring out that window at the big wide world with its flashing lights and opportunities, knowing I could never reach them again. So I pulled the curtains shut again, leaving the flies to decay in the sunlight.

Starry hated this flat. She wanted to live in a log cabin high up a mountain in the woods, where no one would find her. Where she could paint and sing and dance all day long and not worry about what anyone else thought. Not that she cared anyway, but she just wanted to get as far away from society as she could, didn’t want to participate in it anymore. “I’ve played my part,” She’d said to me one night. “I went to school, I go to uni, I work in a shop. I’ve made an effort. What more can I do?” When I’d suggested I wanted to have a career with the police, she’d mocked me.

“Why would you want to serve them? It’s basically working for the government, and we hate them, right?” She glared at my application as I showed it to her. “I can’t believe you submitted that without talking to me first. You don’t want to be a police officer, you want to live out in the sticks, with me, remember?”

I had slowly grown to hate this flat too, more and more everyday. The beige walls, the grey carpet, the second hand furniture rescued from the dump. They were all the opposite of Starry’s taste yet reminded me so much of her. She could have made the blandest of things feel beautiful, she could have made anything feel beautiful. She even made me feel beautiful, after convincing me to grow my hair out long after years of keeping it short.

Now, whenever I looked in the mirror, I didn’t recognize the girl staring back at me. Those icy blue eyes were still there, but the skin around them was pale and translucent save for the black bags that sagged. Every inch of my skin felt bruised and beaten, and my shirt hung loose from my bones. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d eaten something; I’d stopped feeling hungry anymore. This time last year I’d been a size twelve, now even a size six felt baggy. The mirror hung on the wall above a bookcase stuffed full with classics, poetry books and art books. We were always reading, crossed legged on the bed in the warm light of the bedside lamps. I couldn’t read anymore, because all the words just blurred into one continuous stream. I couldn’t do anything anymore. I was just a pile of bones.

A sharp knock at the door pulled me away from the mirror. I didn’t want to answer it. If I just ignored it, curled up on the floor and hugged my knees then maybe they’d go away.

I heard a clink of metal as the letterbox was pushed open. “Castle, I know you’re in there, for fuck’s sake let me in.”

Reluctantly, I slunk to the front door and unlocked it, knowing that if I didn’t she’d force her way in somehow. Amy stood there, hands on her hips, as I opened the door. She was smiling, but it dropped to a frown as soon as she set her eyes upon my shrivelled form.

“Jesus fuckin’ christ, Cas.” I moved out the way as she barged in and kicked off her high heels. “You look like shit.”

“Thanks.” I closed and locked the door behind us, deliberately hitting my head against the wood as I did so, cursing under my breath. Amy had been a friend at uni, the kind you sat next to because it was convenient, not because you actually liked them. She was tall and curvy, and always dressed like she was heading to a job interview - close fitting clothes, red lipstick and nylon tights.

She sighed heavily as she made her way into the kitchen, eyeing up the masses of dirty dishes and overflowing bins. “Good thing I came over, Joe and Mia kept saying to just leave you alone but I said they didn’t know you as well as I did, so I thought I’d knock and see if you were in - I was just passing through on my way to work.” The gas hissed as she turned the hob on and placed the kettle on top of the blue flames. “Niamh said you’ve stopped turning up to work, I hadn’t noticed because obviously we were on different shifts but I heard about that huge meltdown you had. Niamh convinced the boss not to fire you yet. I promised her I’d get you to call in or something. It’d be good for you to go in, be busy. It might take your mind off of stuff, you never know. Oh, you take milk and sugar right?”

“Not anymore.”

“You haven’t really missed much work at uni, though you need to submit those poems we were working on before Christmas by next week.” She just kept wittering on like that, talking about everyone and anything, filling me in on the lives of people I didn’t care about. She put sugar and milk in my tea.

The kettle began to whistle, and Amy turned off the flame as she eyed the stack of envelopes building up on the side. “Are these bills?”

She picked one up and opened it, the tearing of the paper making my skin crawl. Her eyes scanned through it quickly. “Shit, Cas, you need to pay these!”

“Really? Who would’ve known!”

“They’re gonna switch off your gas and electricity if you don’t!” As she made her way through the stack her worry began to bloom and grow into panic, and she kept biting at her fake nails, the snapping of the plastic the only sound in the room for a solid ten minutes. “Castle, you need to pay your rent or you’ll get kicked out, I can’t believe you haven’t been already.”

“You’re exactly what I need, Amy, someone else to worry on my behalf.”

Ignoring me. Amy put the kettle on again as enough time had passed to render the water lukewarm. It was like she thought a tea would make all the bills go away. She handed me a mug once she’d made it and I gripped it tightly, letting the ceramic gently burn my palms. I watched as she raised her cup to her stained lips. No - it wasn’t her cup. It was Starry’s. The pale pink barbie mug she’d rescued from a car boot sale, with a chip in the rim she’d filled in with a pink biro. Amy was oblivious to the fact that she was drinking out of a dead girl’s favourite mug.

I placed my own cup carefully down on a rare empty spot on the counter and took a deep breath. A sharp intake of air that mirrored the sharp knock at the door that brought Amy into the flat.

“That’s Starry’s cup.” I stated slowly, drawing out each word.

She looked down at it and then back up to me. “Cas, it’s a cup, it doesn’t matter.”

I grabbed the mug from out of her hands and flung it across the kitchen, much like I had done at the club last night. Light brown tea splashed over the walls, over the floor, over the textbooks that had amounted on the table. The mug smashed into the corner of the wall, breaking into a dozen little pieces upon impact with the kitchen tiles.

Amy looked from her hand to the corner and then to me. “What the fuck. Cas, what the fuck?”

“That was Starry’s cup.” I growled it this time, spitting out the word ‘cup’ as I felt my blood boil beneath my paper-thin skin.

“You need help, like, psychiatric help.” She hurried out of the kitchen, not taking her eyes off me until she was in the hallway. Cramming her feet back into those atrocious heels, she started to have a go at me, her tone more harsh than worried. “At least I tried to help you. What have you done, Cas? Since she died? Smashed things up? Gotten into fights? Screamed at people who just want to know if you’re okay? Starry wouldn’t want to see you like this.”

“Good thing she’s dead then!” I screamed at the top of my lungs as I shoved her out of the door, each fibre of my being seething in rage and grief and hatred. “Fuck you, Amy. Fuck you and anyone else who thinks they know what I need!” I kept screaming at the door, long after she’d disappeared down the hallway. I kept screaming until there was no moisture left in my mouth, and no words left in my brain.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
99 Reviews


Points: 48
Reviews: 99

Donate
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:30 am
Tawsif wrote a review...



Hi, Green. I'm reviewing you after a very long time.

I'm really touched reading this chapter too. Frustrated too! I mean, why the hell does she have to be like this? Can't she just get over it? (That’s what I felt as a reader, and that wasn't a criticism😁)

The characters are very nicely portrayed. They're real, engaging. I particularly liked Starry, how she doesn’t want to be a part of the society, how she makes the MC feel. It's very good to read.

Would love to read the next chapters.

KEEP WRITING.




User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:59 pm
View Likes
Lib wrote a review...



Heya Green!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight. I'm here to review your piece. ^^

This was a very very sad chapter. =( When she enters her flat all the way to when she kicks Amy out of it, I could picture everything perfectly. It was as if I was walking around her flat watching everything she was doing. You're really awesome at this type of writing!

This is pretty intense and made me feel really bad for poor Cas. I wonder if there's anything there is to help the poor thing. Maybe that's the plot of this story? Only time will tell, I guess. I'm crossing my fingers that Cas gets over Starry's death. It's sad seeing her so sad. :c

Okay, now a couple of things I noticed real quick:

As I stepped forward, my foot pressed down onto a stray shared I hadn’t noticed yet.

Think you meant "shard", instead of "shared" here!

Ignoring me. Amy put the kettle on again as enough time had passed to render the water lukewarm.

Over here, instead of putting the period after the "me", I think you meant to put a comma. That would have made more sense.

Alright, great chapter! Excited to read more! I hope this review helped in some sort of way. Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me whenever!

And as always...

Keep on writing!

~Liberty




4revgreen says...


Thank you so much for the review <3



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:17 pm
EternalRain wrote a review...



Hey green!

Wowie okay, intense chapter. The description of Castle’s depression and her grief is so well done. We can see it in her flat, in the way she describes things, in her dialogue. It’s really great. I also could totally picture this scene- as if it were a movie. The emotion and imagery conveyed here was just great. The part where she throws Starry’s mug across the room especially hit me hard. :(

Amy definitely comes across as fairly shallow. Sure, she’s “helping” but she doesn’t seem that sympathetic at all. Besides just her being an annoying person, I can totally see why people are going to be fed up with Cas.

One thing I’m wondering - we keep having characters tell Cas what they think they should do (like Amy in this chapter and William in the previous one) and Cas gets annoyed; “**** you and anyone else who thinks they know what I need” - however I’m wondering what CAS wants. Maybe a scene of self-reflection, or a scene where she just asks herself what SHE wants (Starry to be back? etc). Although this may be coming up in future chapter’s as Cas’s grief continues and we explore more about Cas post-Starry.

Some inline comments:

As I stepped forward, my foot pressed down onto a stray shared I hadn’t noticed yet. I winced as warm blood trickled down my skin and dripped onto the carpet, staining it crimson.


*shard
This moment definitely feels more observant than experiential. Personally I would like a little more than a “wince” or maybe just another little comment like, I barely noticed the pain because my head was throbbing or something like that.

“You’re exactly what I need, Amy, someone else to worry on my behalf.”

Ignoring me.


I feel like this would be better as “Amy ignores me” or “She ignores me”. Ignoring me feels incomplete, and a bit jarring.

I’m super excited to read more. I love how we’re getting bits and pieces of what Starry was like (super artsy and Thoreau vibes lol). I also like how we got that glimpse into her reaction to Cas wanting to be a police officer- it kinda shows a little fracture in their relationship.

Keep writing!:)
Peace,
~ EternalRain




4revgreen says...


Thank you for the review! And as for the 'ignoring me' that's a typo whoops, it should be a comma after me. :-)



User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 6228
Reviews: 114

Donate
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am
Necromancer14 wrote a review...



Well! A dramatic ending there, I see. Nice chapter!

Here's my review:

This was a pretty interesting chapter. The descriptions of Castle were really good. I can definitely envision her, sitting among all her junk. the interaction with Amy were pretty well done too.

" A searing pair shot up my spine as I pushed myself to my feet and stumbled forwards into the mess"

"pair"?

"my body ached from having been curled up in the floor"

"In" the floor? No wonder it was uncomfortable! How did she even fit?

"my foot pressed down onto a stray shared I hadn’t noticed yet."

Don't you mean "shard"?

"get as far away from society as she could, didn’t want to participate in it anymore. "

You need your conjunction and subject, so put like "as she" or something right after the comma.

"I moved out the way as she barged in and kicked off her high heels"

Moved out OF the way.

"“Castle, you need to pay your rent or you’ll get kicked out, I can’t believe you haven’t been already.”"

The comma should be a period, otherwise this is a comma splice.

"Ignoring me. Amy put the kettle on again"

"Ignoring me" is definitely incorrect grammar. You're missing both the subject AND the predicate.

"“Good thing she’s dead then!” I screamed at the top of my lungs"

I liked this part. The words are really strong.

Well, that's my review! I hope it was helpful.




4revgreen says...


"I moved out the way as she barged in and kicked off her high heels"

Moved out OF the way.

Where I live, everyone says 'moved out the way' so it does make sense, it's just an alternate way of saying it :-)

[quote] "Ignoring me. Amy put the kettle on again"

"Ignoring me" is definitely incorrect grammar. You're missing both the subject AND the predicate [/quote
This is just a type. The full stop after 'me' is meant to be a comma. Thought that was kinda obvious lol.

Most of what you pointed out are just typos so thank you, I'll fix them in my original word document.

btw, you can quote parts of the story like I have in this comment it you put [ quote ] without the spaces and then after you've pasted the part you're talking about put [ / quote ] without the spaces. It just makes the review a little tidier as it can get confusing otherwise! Thought I'd let you know.





Thanks! I was wondering how people were doing those quote things.



4revgreen says...


I accidently messed up on one of the quotes in my reply lol. This website uses BBCode so if you ever want to use italics/bold/underlining you can look up how to do it lol




My existence is political. And love is my statement.
— Kevin Abstract