z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Friends

by 1nspire


You say that you love me
again and again,
but to me
we're just good friends.

I have no response
because what can I say?
How do I tell you
that I don't feel the same?

I know that what I'm doing
is terrible and wrong;
that I'm just hurting you
by leading you on.

But how can I say
how I really feel
without losing a friend
and making cuts that won't heal?

I promise that I love you,
I really do,
but not in the way
that you want me to.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 418
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:12 am
View Likes
Dani965 says...



I love the rhyming in this, it really helps the poem flow.




User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 60
Reviews: 200

Donate
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:12 pm
kman134 wrote a review...



Hi. This is kman134. I'm here to review your work.

There is nothing worse than unrequited love. you have someone who loves doubt you don't love him/her back. However, you feel guilty that you might be leading them astray. Sometimes, it's best to sets them down and tell them straight that you don't feel the same way. While the response might be painful and distraught, the outcome might actually be very good for the both of you.

"I know that what I'm doing
is terrible and wrong;
that I'm just hurting you
by leading you on."

I love the symbolism of pain and anguish is well written in this stanza. it shows the reader your hesitation of telling your friend how you truly feel, but the ambivalence of the outcome is too risky and you just want to lag them on without fully hurting them. I love how you use rhyming in your work, which is out school but still effective in your work. however, I will have to agree some of your stanzas were a bit long and you might want to look back at it.

Anyways, I love your work. I hope to read more of yours.




1nspire says...


Thanks for the feedback, I%u2019m glad you enjoyed it! I%u2019ll be sure to take another look at the longer stanzas.



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:47 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there 1nspire.

I don't think you've written too much poetry, or at least you haven't posted that much, so from looking from the inexperience point of view, you're off to a great start.

Though the capitalization pattern makes me think that you're starting to get a hang on your own style, it's also a very generic style. The repetitive use of "I", is part of what brought me to this conclusion, just because it's a thing that inexperienced poets like to use. Rather than really addressing the problem at hand, it's similar to just talking to yourself. It's also a contributing message in love poems, since they're just conversations to the writer, rather than the intended recipient.

You say that you love me
again and again,
but to me
we're just good friends.


One of the nicer effects of this poem, was turning the tables on unrequited love, so I've got to give you some praise just for this. Since mainly the poems I see on yws are people lusting after another, to get the perspective of someone trying to get away from it, was a refreshing view point.

I have the feeling that you were trying to run a light rhyme scheme or maybe that just happened entirely by accident. Whatever the reason for it coming across to the reader, it will always feel forced. The way that the lines are arraigned is one of the major players in why this feels forced, since it looks like you purposely manipulated the structure to end the lines that way.
I'm guessing that you did purposely manipulate the structure to get the lines to end that way. Not only does this add to the forced rhyme aspect, but it also kills whatever flow the poem might have had before. So you're looking at some major edits to clean this up.
[If you want to talk about some of the possible ways to go about making those more major edits, just shoot me a PM.]

I have no response
because what can I say?
How do I tell you
that I don't feel the same?


I started to talk a little bit about the flow and the edits necessary, so I think I'll just go ahead and mark this stanza up a bit.

Another part of your overall issue is punctuation and you need to swap the placements of some commas.

Then it's just moving the line structure around a little bit, into something that might look like this:
I have no response,
because what can I say?
How do I tell you that
I don't feel the same?

So this is still sticking a little bit but really all you need to do to improve, is mess around a little bit with your style.

You were creative but the overall message is still cliche. So don't depend too much upon the poetry styles that you might have been taught in school, because they're most often not the style that you want to be following, just considering our modern age.

So good luck with your poetry.
Contact me with any questions.
- lizz




1nspire says...


Thank you so much for the feedback! The two poems I've posted are pretty much the extent of my involvement with poetry, so you're definitely right about my lack of experience. I'd love to get some help from you sometime!



User avatar


Points: 40
Reviews: 1

Donate
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
imnotperfectyet wrote a review...



Omg, I love how you incorporated rhyming into your poem, it actually fit well and flowed nicely, there were a few lines that seemed too long and threw off my concentration but the overall poem is great, good job! 8/10 I like the idea behind this poem and you can definitely feel the sincerity behind it, you did a good job sticking to the scene and theme. You didn't drift off like I often read with poems, overall good. I didn't find any mistakes with grammar or anything like that also.




1nspire says...


Thank you so much for the review, I really appreciate it.




This is a house of homes, a sacred place, by human passion made divinely sweet.
— Alfred Joyce Kilmer