z

Young Writers Society



One more step

by 123pinkrose


Left foot, right foot head stays down

Listen to the gentle cacophony of chatter

Do not dare make a sound

Do not join their laughter

-

Left foot, right foot focus on the lane

You can never stray

Just continue doing the same

or you will get lost in the hallway

-

Left foot, right foot stay within your head

dream about a day not here

Please listen to what I have said

Or you will be in a place filled with fear

-

Left foot, right foot never speak

because they will hate you

and it's not for the weak

It's true, would I ever lie to you

-

Left foot, right foot don't live your life

Just be shy and try to hide

Don't be yourself and fight

Don't worry, I'm on your side

-

Left foot, right foot follow where I go.

You know that you belong with me

Too bad that you'll never know

That you can't be free of me

-

Left foot, right foot, continue to walk

Do not ever try to stop

Left foot right foot, continue to walk

You are not able to stop


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 318
Reviews: 13

Donate
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:44 am
GreyMatter wrote a review...



Hey there!
Let us begin with the review. I must say I felt a little underwhelmed by your poem. Right from the onset, the missing punctuation marks spoiled the effect. I understand if you have certain attachment to the poem and do not want to edit it at all. But I must point out that which I feel needs improvement. Your rhyming scheme is abab throughout the poem. But the first paragraph itself does not follow the rule. The words 'sound' and 'down' do not rhyme, nor 'chatter' and 'laughter'. The 'please' in line 12 can be omitted. In the fourth para, the idea does not click. It is asked to not speak. Yet the narrator says speaking is not for the weak as if implying something. The last line is a weak attempt at filling up, and just there for the sake of rhyme. The concept of the poem is very well thought of and mature. With a thorough editing, this can be an excellent poem. As of now, I rate it as good given you put proper punctuation (please, the commas).
Keep writing and have fun.




User avatar
121 Reviews


Points: 110
Reviews: 121

Donate
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:28 pm
manilla wrote a review...



G'day, Pinkrose! Manilla here for a review. As usual, I'm going to get the nitpicky things out of the way first.

"Left foot, right foot head stays down..."


I think that putting a comma after "right foot" would make the flow of your poem a lot smoother.

Next thing - The rhymes and repetition in this poem are in need of minor improvement.

"You can never stray

Just continue doing the same

or you will get lost in the hallway..."


I'm not saying getting lost in a hallway is a bad thing, but I'm sure that you could go for something else that still rhymed with "stray" or a word with a similar meaning. The part I do like is the repeated "Left foot right foot" part that starts every stanza. The repetition in the final stanza is strong and concluding, and finishing it off with a period would be a small suggestion of mine.

Otherwise, the voice of this poem was very...interesting. I feel like the voice of the poem is telling you what not to do, but at the same time, it's implied that you should do those things. This element adds suspense - Which is good for this type of poem.

Continue writing - This piece looks promising.

-Manilla out

(Feel free to disregard any unhelpful or rude comments.)




User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:35 pm
Radrook wrote a review...



Radrook here for a review. Please feel free to reject any suggestion deemed not helpful. If I offend, I apologize. It is not intentional. That being said.


Thanks for sharing this poem about someone who is telling someone else not to do certain things. It becomes quite obvious from the very first stanza that the speaker means to cause harm. After all, he or it declares very clearly that listening to the advice will deprive the person of freedom. So that statement should set the tone for whatever comes next regardless of how inoffensive or seemingly helpful tone might seem.

In short, the poem is a demonstration on what NOT to do. A verbal ironic display of saying one thing and meaning another. What I like about it is that this is made perfectly clear at the outset in order to prevent misunderstanding although it could have been written without revealing the speaker’s true intention and left it up the reader to infer it from the content alone.

A very interesting read indeed! Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Suggestions

stay [within] your head

Left foot, right foot[,]

Contractions

Please listen to what [I’ve] said.
[Don’t]dare make a sound.

[Contractions will make the certain sentences flow smoother.]




User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 1846
Reviews: 102

Donate
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:19 pm
TheBlueCat wrote a review...



Hello 123pinkrose! c: Cat here for a quick review! Let's get started then, shall we?

Clarity
There is no mistaking on the speakers message, although I do have to say that it is a sad one! It is practically the opposite of the truth. The way it started, I thought it would be a poem about how you have to keep going, but that it not that case. As it went further on, I thought it was going to be the speaker as the person who was advising the reader, but it turned out to be someone else talking to this person. Either way, the poem is speaking about the opposite of the truth, or at least what I believe.

Flow
Your flow is almost magical and song-like but there are a few spots where I stumbled and it was ruined a tad.

Listen to the gentle cacophony of chatter
This isn't so much of a problem as a personal thing; I don't know what this word is, so I had to look it up, which disrupted my reading. Don't change it though, it is a wonderful word that expresses a lot. Just remember to think about your target audience; if the audience most likely doesn't know the word, it will disrupt them.

Or you will be in a place filled with fear
Just the last word feels off in the stanza, I would choose maybe dread? (Haha it rhymes I didn't mean to do that lol) If that word doesn't give the meaning you want, just look up some synonyms; I'm sure there's one that fits the flow and word meaning.

That listening to me will keep you from being free
I feel like this line should be separated into two lines, but I know this ruins the lines-per-stanza thing you have going. It just feels like you are trying to mush too much into one line and it disrupts my flow.

Imagery
There, but could be better. I say this a lot, but a little figurative language goes a long way. I love being able to picture what is going on in the scene, even though this is not exactly a scene.

Emotion
I've literally said this in every review today, but it's true. You can tell if the author put a lot of emotions into a work, and I think yours is lacking just a touch. It's also one of those thing that is hard to advise how to fix, so for now I'll just say add a few more words that hold a lot of meaning for the speaker.


Specific line thoughts
At the beginning of each stanza you say "Left foot, right foot ___" In my personal opinion, I think you should have the "Left foot, right foot" start the stanza, and then begin a new line with the rest of the blank. If you don't want to do that, at least add a comma after "right foot". Also in every line like this besides the first one, you forgot a comma after "Left foot".

Don't worry I'm on your side
Comma after "Don't worry".

That listening to me will keep you from being free
In the stanza this line is in, it consists of mostly short lines, and then you have this really long one. Personally, it is too long for me, but I'm not sure how to help you fix it without making a new line and throwing off your lines-per-stanza- count.

Left foot right foot, continue to walk

Do not ever try to stop

Left foot right foot, continue to walk

Do not ever try to stop
This is the only stanza that repeats itself, and to be honest, it kind of bugs me. I'm sure you could write two more lines for this stanza to be like the others. It's probably just a personal thing though.

Overall, an amazing song-like poem! Great work and keep writing! c:
~Cat

This review courtesy of
Image




User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 12700
Reviews: 160

Donate
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:06 pm
Valkyria wrote a review...



Hiya, Violet here to review!

What I like most about your poem is the steady rhythm and beat. It flows very nicely.

I like the message of the poem. Just keep walking one more step, although the last stanza is all that makes sense to me. ¨Don´t be yourself and fight?¨ I did not understand that. What I got was be someone you´re not and fight for us and not yourself.


Nevertheless, I love this! Great job and please do more.





The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare