Pain

by *singerofthenight*

I stare out the
Cold, open window,
Hearing the sound
Of my heart pounding,
Beating a ryhthm
In my chest.

Eyes filled with
Tears, I gaze at
The sky. In the
Distance, I watch
The storm brew.

Gray clouds as far
As the eye can
See, the wind
Screaming in rage.
The clouds are crying
Black tears.

The sky rips open
With a mighty roar,
Light filling the
Sky. I watch silently,
My fists clenched,
Holding back the
Pain.

My mind, tormented,
Whirls in anger.
The storm gathers,
A whirlwind of fury.
Slowly, the clouds yawn,
Opening wide.

The tornado descends,
Touching the distant
Ground. Racing,
It destroys everything
In its path, heading
For its target.

My heart is in ryhthm
With the tornado,
It's rhythm speeding
Along. Faster and
Fster it goes until,
Finally, it stops.
The tornado has
Reached its target.

All pain evaporates.
My hands relaxing as
I slip silently
Into the dark,
Cold gray clouds.
Finally at peace.

Sins wrote a review...

Hey there singerofthenight! :)

I really did enjoy reading your poem! You used description very well, and I loved your use of effective imaginary. It was really original and unique.

The other reviewers, especially Suzanne, have said pretty much everything that I would say. In that case, there's no real need for me to repeat what they've already said!

One thing I have to say though is that I think you need to be a bit more descriptive. By descriptive, I mean explain the emotions more. Why is the speaker crying? Why are they angry? What has caused the speaker to feel like this? You've done a very good job when it comes to being descriptive about emotions, you just need to explain the cause of the emotions!

All pain evaporates.

I loved your choice of wording in this line. It has stayed within the weather theme, yet you are describing the emotions. Well done for that, it's very effective in my opinion! :wink:

Overall, I really did like your poem! Be a bit more descriptive when it comes to reasons behind the emotions, and you will have a great poem!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

desmerize1819 wrote a review...

Hey, singerofthenight,

I liked this! Love the imagery. Loved how you portrayed the violence of the storm,
which symbolized the pain,with words.

My favourite part--

"Gray clouds as far
As the eye can
See, the wind
Screaming in rage.
The clouds are crying
Black tears."

Great poem. Keep it up.
Keep writing.

Emerson wrote a review...

I really like that you use the idea of a tornado to represent your speakers emotions. It's real unique, and angry, and a great visual cue for the reader.

There are still a few things that could be improved in this poem. My first thought goes to the emotions of the speaker. She's angry and crying, but as a reader I have no idea why. Since I don't know why, I can't care about it or relate. You've shown a lot of the emotions, told a lot of the emotions, but I still can't feel them, and making me understand and feel the emotions is very important here. Why not include what has the speaker so angry? What is she attacking? How does this visual tornado represent her own life?

Another thing you could do to fix up this poem is remove the excess telling about emotions.

My mind, tormented,
Whirls in anger.

Try not to say that her mind is tormented, instead, show us that her mind is tormented. Are thoughts whirling through her mind like pieces of dust blown by the tornado? Use some imagery and make us feel like she feels. It'll have a huge impact on the reader and it will sound beautiful if done right. Just try to break out all the poetic devices you know (obviously not all of them in this one poem! But the ones you think will best help you). Stop telling and start showing. :) It'll give so much more life to your poem, you won't even believe it!

I hope this review helped, best of luck on editing!

Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.