z

Young Writers Society



Numb

by LifeUnknown


Numb

I look in the mirror,
And no longer see a little girl.
I don't see the smile that used to light up the room.
Or the laughter in my blue eyes.
 
The happiness I use to feel is gone.
Replaced by a horrible kind of pain,
where everything goes numb.
Everything but my hollow heart.
 
What happened to me?
I don't recognize this face.
Or these dull blue eyes.
What happened to this stranger?
 
Was it the words?
The cruel, cruel words,
from the people that I became to hate,
the people I became to envy.
 
Or was it the betrayal?
The lies I believed, so many times.
I just can't believe I was stupid enough to believe you,
when you said best friends forever.
 
I was called many names.
I still am.
And I'm lying when I say,
it doesn't bother me.
 
This feeling of numbness,
has become part of who I am.
I'm alive,
even if I feel like I'm not.
 
I'm like a robot,
I move and act like a human,
but I do not feel.
I do not feel anything but pain.
 
Its a never ending cycle.
Full of this numbing pain,
the anguish that never leaves me behind,
and the loneliness which has become my only companion. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 2619
Reviews: 68

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:58 pm
sarahjane97 wrote a review...



Hello! Sarah here for a quick review!

I love the rawness of this poem. So much emotion is crammed in and for once, it's blatant. Poet's often lose feeling in their poems behind flowery language, so kudos to you!

My only advice would be to show-not-tell more. I feel like a stronger description at the beginning of the poem would make the reader sympathize with the narrator more. Simply telling us about the narrator's struggles can only go so far. Guaranteed, a lot of the time in this particular poem, the telling works. It's refreshing. But try to strike a balance.

Good job and keep writing!

Sarah




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 2027
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:29 am
View Likes
Chiridawn wrote a review...



Firstly, I would like to say I love the subject of the poem. That is after the first reading. Now, the first stanza is excellent.

I look in the mirror,
And no longer see a little girl.
I don't see the smile that used to light up the room.
Or the laughter in my blue eyes.


I interpret it as you are growing up, through your experiences, but you also infer that it is not the gradual sort of growing up, but something forced and possible harmful. However, one thing I would like to point out for the entire poem is when you read it out loud, it sounds rather jerky and disconnected. I'm not sure if this is done on purpose, but the majority of the time, poems tend to flow better when read aloud. In the future, try reading your works before editing.

What happened to this stranger?


I love how you used a question to engage the reading. I want to know more.

Was it the words?
The cruel, cruel words,
from the people that I became to hate,
the people I became to envy.


Again, the question. You are asking yourself, but at the same time, us, the readers are also engaged in this question. Repetition reinforces the fact that it is the people you are hating, and once again, I want to know more. Why do you hate them?

I just can't believe I was stupid enough to believe you,
when you said best friends forever.


This bit is cliche. It is a personal preference, but try not to use too many cliched anecdotes. This is a poem, you are aiming to express yourself through as few words as possible, yet still achieving the same meaning.

I'm like a robot,


This is an example of what I meant above. Short, simple, to the point. Beautiful.

the anguish that never leaves me behind,


You may want to rethink the meaning of this. It seems to be implying that the anguish has never overtaken you. I think you were trying to say that 'the anguish never leaves me'.

and the loneliness which has become my only companion.


I love the idea here, as if loneliness was a person and they are your only companion. However, once again, try reading your poem out loud. The sentence runs together - it can be fixed by doing this:

"and the loneliness
my only companion"

But keep in mind the suggestions I have made is up to you to implement. This is only my viewpoint but I would love it if you could take them to heart :)

Overall, the subject is touching, and the questions you use work extremely well, but the poem needs a bit of work with the rhythm, and there are many unnecessary words.




User avatar
662 Reviews


Points: 52441
Reviews: 662

Donate
Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 pm
View Likes
dogs wrote a review...



Hello there Unknown! Knight Tucker here to save your piece from the dungeons of the greenroom! To start, you have a good poem going on here, a tad bit overused of a topic, but you make it work with your writing style. You lack some opportunities to use some stronger imagery, but we'll get there. Let's dive in to ze review.

"I don't see the smile that used to light up the room."

Ok, nice opening you have here, I would have preferred if you add in a little bit more description of what you look like, more so than a loss of innocence, but do you look mauled or menacing? Try to expand upon that idea a little bit. Also, in this line I believe "light up the room" in reference to your smile is overused, look up "light" in a thesaurus and try to add in a more descriptive word.

"Replaced by a horrible kind of pain,"

Ok, nice job here giving us some more plot, although I think you need to describe the pain, what is it doing to your heart, is it lacerated to shreds, or shattering like glass? Give us some more info here.

"the people I became to envy."

Nice job with this line, I like how you play off with the fact that you hate them but you envy them. Which is usually the cause of why we hate people.

I think my favorite stanza is the one about how you're like a robot. That's an excellent comparison and I think you should apply it to the rest of your poem. How she walks like a robot and even talks like a robot, but feels nothing and only numbness. I think you should play with that idea more.

Interesting ending, I like the use of "anguish" in the second to last line. All and all a good poem just in need of some polishing. Let me know if you ever need a review. Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032





A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.
— Robert Frost