z

Young Writers Society



First Reader

by TinyDancer


Eleven years ago I told you something
I’d never told anyone else.
“Mommom, I want to write books”
You believed me
You’d adjust your glasses to read
every crooked letter
every scrawled scrap
every crayoned page of my Lion King journal
and we pretended I was famous.

You would have cried proudly at my article
Lifting those glasses
to dab the tears
with the tissue you always crumpled into your sleeve.
It was hardly fame
But no longer pink crayon.

The last time we were together
I was pouring Earl Grey into a pansy print cup
that I'd insisted you have
because pansies were your favorite.
You smiled, I smiled.
Dad snapped a picture
And later I fixed the glare in your glasses
so they could print that picture in the paper
beside a generic paragraph and the words
“bereaved August 10th”

And now those glasses that watched my life happen
are lying on my living room table
Just another lifeless object
that Dad wonders what to do with.

And I never would’ve guessed that smooth, round glass
could cut so deep.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:02 pm
Audy wrote a review...



Hey Tinydancer,

This is a touching piece. I like what you did there with the glasses, I find that so often when we mourn a person, we mourn all the small things. All the little details that struck us, as if each of us are just a composite of small little things, and as if in remembering those things we might not forget, or we might keep a small part of them.

I think that's beautiful.

Let's see if we can improve the writing.

They are alone
Apart from you
They have never been that before

I try to picture your eyes behind them
It%u2019s true


It%u2019s true


I would cut the above out. It's reads sort of like a prologue or preamble, where we don't really know what we're looking at yet, and there's no real value in it, and we don't need it. Take us there directly ~ "Eleven years ago..."

Now this piece is beautiful as a whole. It can also be better/improved upon as everything can. This is moving, but it does little to engage with me. It captures my sympathies, but not my empathy. I'm looking at the side-lines, but I'm not in it. Images you may have, but how do the weight of the glasses feel? How does the earl grey taste now? How did the speaker's mum smell? Now, these aren't really questions I'm dying to know the answer to or anything, but I want to feel the experience of the moment along with the speaker. Images are more than words - they are five senses.

You%u2019d adjust your glasses to read


This line here is so important, but it gets lost in the sea of narrative. Again, the same with your last piece, your lines flow beautifully, and you build a strong narrative, and there are emotions here. But clean up the language a little more, play with your breaks. This piece is a diamond in the rough, it's got a lot of gems in it, but it needs polishing. Express the idea in the best way, so that each line bleeds with time and care and love.

It's fine if you say:

"Dad snapped a picture" ---- but, everybody says that. We gloss over words and expressions like these, just like we gloss over things like "the grass is green" Try for a new turn of phrase. What about.... Dad snapped a memory. Or to keep with your narrative style, "the light of the camera washed the room" Go back through these lines and really try to zero in on the moment.

I wrote more on breaks and on poetry in general that could help.

That being said, thanks for writing and sharing this poem. Whether the events of this piece happened to you or not is not important, I find this does have a lot of emotion behind it, and a lot of authenticity too. I can feel the raw and personal factor of the poem and it aches. It aches hard, and I'm glad I've read it an I'm glad you've shared it.


~ as always, Audy




User avatar
884 Reviews


Points: 28282
Reviews: 884

Donate
Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:59 am
StoryWeaver13 wrote a review...



This was unexpectedly sad. Huh. I think I'm going to walk to the nearest corner and sob now...

Or I'll just review this, I guess. That works too. But really, I wasn't expecting the ending at all, and it definitely hit home. Your wording is simple and organic, and that works well in this case; it feels real. The words don't have to be elaborate or fancy to make us invest emotionally, and even without the aid of elaborate imagery you manage to evoke a feeling that's almost bitterly beautiful.

The last stanza is, by far, my favorite. Despite the fact that it made me all emotional and whatnot. I'm not typically a very emotional person, so I don't know why that struck me the way it did, but it really did put the mother's death in a unique juxtaposition that just...hurt.

Lovely job.

Keep writing, and best wishes. xxx




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 822
Reviews: 50

Donate
Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:29 am
Pencil2paper wrote a review...



Hi Dancer,
That was so sweet and so sad. I have a mother like that, who was so proud of my first story when I was six, scribbled in pen. It was about a princess in a tower that was kept there by her evil uncle Rancid. She beamed even more when I told her what rancid meant. I personally couldn't imagine losing her. This was an extremely raw and emotional piece. Well done.
~Pencil





Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud