Doctors and Pirates

by beckiw

A/N: What happens when Cadi gives a prompt in chat.

"I don't think he's a real doctor."

I rolled my eyes, exasperated. “What gave you that impression?”

“Well…for a start he doesn’t have a stethoscope…” Dixie replied sincerely.

“So the fact that he’s dressed like a pirate doesn’t bother you at all?”

Dixie shrugged and leaned over the railing of the ship to look at the rippling water. “Could be a Pirate Doctor.”

I turned away from her, leaning my back against the rail and basking in the sun that was beating down. “What’s your obsession with Doctors, Dixie?”

She leaned further over, her little legs kicking in the air but I could still hear her. “It’s not an obsession, Tran! It’s a healthy interest.”

I laughed a little to myself, the use of the word healthy when talking about Doctors was not lost on me.

“Besides,” Dixie started, looking back at me with her violet eyes. “Who says I’m not obsessed with Pirates.” her lip quirked in a smirk.

I laughed again and then jumped forward, grabbing my little sister by the head and ruffling her hair up.

“Tran…Tran get ooofff meeee!”

She pinched my arms in an attempt to get me off and I yelped despite myself, letting her go. We both looked at each other, panting.

“What did I do to deserve a little sister like you?”

Dixie grinned, looking me straight in the eye. “Karma’s a bitch.”

She really was impossible. I lunged forward again and she shrieked, stumbling back.

“Hey…you two! When you’ve finished messing about, how about you help me cast off?”

I turned away from Dixie to see the tall, imposing figure of Darton, his thick mop of dark hair in disarray. From the oil smears on the older man's tanned skin I guessed he’d been trying to kick start the engine. I felt a twinge of guilt for not helping him.

“Sorry, Darton.”

Dixie pushed in front of me. “Hey, Darton. See that guy over there,” she pointed to the man aboard the opposite ship and I slapped a hand to my face, knowing what was coming.

“Yep! Sure do, Dixie. Shifty fellow if you ask me.”

“Do you think he’s a Doctor?”

MainxStreamxDaydream wrote a review...

Oo, I might take this idea.

I love small little prompts though, they're super useful and you are doing a good job so far. You should continue this, right now I don't really have any crazy things to point out, but it's a really good start.

Continue writing :)

Searria H. wrote a review...

Hi, Beck!

This was a lot of fun to read. :) I really enjoyed the refreshing light-heartedness of the piece. I'm amazed at how well-developed your characters were in such a short time. :D I only have a few nitpicks.

leaning my back against the rail and basking in the sun that was beating down.

For some reason, this clause seemed a little cluttered. I might trade "that was beating down" for some sort of adjective for sun to make it a little more succinct.
She leaned further over, her little legs kicking in the air, but I could still hear her.

Technically, there should be a comma there.

That comma bothers me. I might use a semicolon or dash. And I'm not sure "Doctors" needs to be capitalized. But this made me smile so much. :)
“Who says I’m not obsessed with Pirates?Her lip

Tran get ooofff meeee!”

She pinched my arms in an attempt to get me off

The repetition of "get off" sort of bothered me. Maybe in an attempt to escape? I don't know...
His thick mop of hair in disarray and I guessed he’d been trying to kick start the engine.

This isn't a complete sentence, but "His thick mop of hair was in disarray" somehow breaks the flow. I might tag on the description to the previous sentence and leave "I guessed he'd been..." to fend for itself in a separate sentence. I don't know, you can fiddle with it. :)

“Do you think he’s a Doctor?”

Loved this ending. :elephant:

Generally, the piece seemed rather dialogue-heavy, but that didn't really bother me the first time I read it. You might think about adding in some other narrative text, but I think it's pretty balanced as it is. I think adding in a lot of description wouldn't really fit the tone of the piece. Hm...

Anyway, I hope I've been at least a little helpful. I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help with the macro stuff. Happy writing, and good luck!

beckiw says...

Thanks so much Searria! This was pretty much a half hour splurge and I tend to forget my grammar when I write quick xD Thanks for picking up on the mistakes for me!

Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand