The Diamond Fist (1)

by Blues

Liam

If you could give an unborn child a piece of advice about life... what would it be?

“Concentrate on school!”?

“Mummy and Daddy always know best!”?

“Don’t do drugs!”?

“Look on the bright side of life!”?

If it were me, it would be “Think before you speak”. No, forget that. It’d be “keep your trap shut”. No, not even that. “Superglue your mouth at first opportunity”. Or at least, that’s what I’d have said to myself.

12th February 2011. I remember that day so clearly, as if my history teacher burnt it into my mind because normally, I’m terrible at remembering dates or names. It was the day after the Egyptian President–Musterfar Ehap or something–was kicked out of power, basically, but I mainly remember that day because that was the day me and my friends had progressed to the next round of a swimming competition.

It was that day. That day that all this mess had started; all the hurt, the torn families, the pain, all started from that day. Funnily enough, it was supposed to be a good day. The day you win at something should be a good day to remember.

I stood on the cliff, peering over the edge at the spot where they jumped. Their clothes lay in separate, disorganised piles on the floor. Trousers, necklaces, bags, hairbands, T-shirts. When did this all happen? Just a few moments ago, they’d been standing there, still fully clothed, still smiling.

After the swimming competition, we’d gone to the beach that I was now looking at from the cliff. The sun sank into the horizon, turning into a deep, blood red. We sat in a circle around a one-use barbecue that I’d purchased (they’re more relaxed about regulations in Egypt) where the marshmallows were being toasted till it was charred leaving a gooey centre–just the way I liked it.

Lukas, the youngest out of all of us, suggested we play a game: Truth or Dare. We agreed to keep it clean for his sake, but he seemed to be the most annoyed about it. “So we don’t scar your mind and so that we don’t cheat on our girlfriends,” said Medo, who was probably the fastest swimmer out of us all. “Shouldn’t you be playing with action man?” he snickered.

“14 is old enough to play!”

“How do you even know the game exists?” said Jasmine, taking off her straw sunhat. “And I just lost the game, guys.”

A chorus of groans. “Jasmine!”

She cackled.

The bottle was spun and Lukas was dared to eat three marshmallows dipped in seawater. We burst into laughter at the horrified expression on Lukas’ face and laughed even more when he ate it. With the horror still on his face, he spun the bottle aggressively to choose who would be his next victim. The bottle span before slowing.... and landing on me. I covered my face with my hands. “No...”

“Yes!” he cackled. “Truth or Dare? Please pick dare,” he said, with a sadistic twinkle in his eyes.

“Truth,” I said, my hands still hiding my face.

“Why would you do that, Liam?” he sighed. “I don’t have an idea for a truth.”

“You could go all deep and philosophical: if you were in the Olympics: Egypt or England?” said Medo.

“That’s a hard one, but I can’t if I’m not Egyptian—don’t ask how they even let me do thi—”

“Hey! Hey, I’ve got one!” Lukas whispered in my ear; my eyes widened and I moved away.

“I-I-I’ll do—I think I’ll do dare, then.”

Lukas smiled and I was forced to drink a mixture of Miranda and seawater. It tasted thin but I could feel all the moisture in my mouth being absorbed; I flushed the taste down with a gallon of water and even then the taste remained. Next, it was my turn to dare someone else: Medo. He hid his face in his hands.

I looked around, searching for some inspiration. The cliff; the café; the road; the beach; the rocks; the sky, the sea; the cliff—

The cliff… Now that was a good one. “I dare you to jump off the cliff. With clothes.” I smiled. “Have fun.”

His eyes widened. “Are you—?”

I nodded. “Wouldn’t that be fun? I’ve done it a billion times anyway, Lukas was there, remember?”

“Do it,” urged the girls. “Do it, Medo!”

“Only if you guys do it with me,” he said, standing up and brushing the sand off his jeans. Medo said something in Arabic, which meant something along the lines of, “You’re all pussy cats if you don’t.” Keen to display their courage, the rest joined, taking their stuff and leaving the marshmallows on the barbecue.

We started at the base and walked along it as it rose higher up. It only ended up about 10 to 15 metres above the sea, just like the diving boards we’d occasionally used. The cliff narrowed towards the tip; a cluster of palm trees had been planted at the tip of the cliff. We stopped by the trees and everyone prepared for the dive.

“I’m going home after this… I told my mum I’d be home by then,” said Jasmine

“I don’t want to go home,” complained Lukas, trying to stifle a yawn unsuccessfully.

“Damien, you’re the only one who has to keep their clothes on for the dive. I hope you’re not planning to chicken out!” I squawked and flapped my arms like wings. Damien became very red faced.

I looked down into the calm sea, almost flat like an empty field. In the murky depths, I could’ve sworn I’d seen a Chinese dragon open its mouth, waiting for me to jump in, to bolt me shut and trap me forever. There were the white teeth, dragging the sand at the beach into the wat—no, it was simply a wave gently tumbling into the beach.

The wisps of blood, twisting, twirling, dancing like smoke, as it devoured your body.

No, no, Liam. Don’t think of that.

“Alright, you lot ready? Three… two… one… jump!

They dived into the water, like bullets darting into the water, just like the many times we did while messing around on diving boards or like that one time that they jumped off this cliff.

Splash!

I watched them rise to the surface to the water, greeting them with a round of applause. “How was that?”

“That was amazing,” shouted Damien, his hair plastered to his face like seaweed. “Aren’t you gonna come down, Liam? Or are you too chicken?” He squawked and flapped his arms in the water. “Awh, what a shame. Liam’s too chicken to come down!”

I could feel my blood rush to my cheeks. I stepped back so that they couldn’t see me.

“Someone’s got to look after the bags! I’ll meet you back at the beach, alright?”

Problem was, when I arrived, they weren’t there. I told myself that they were probably still on their way, after all, it took longer to swim with clothes on. The water couldn’t have swept them away either. The water was calm today.

I waited some more, flipping the remaining marshmallows on the barbecue till they were charred as I tried to get rid of the possible worst-case scenario out of my head.

Fifteen minutes. They still hadn’t arrived.

Twenty minutes. No sign of them either.

Something was very wrong.

----------- A/N I'd be very grateful for any reviews on this :) If you can, is the pace of this chapter okay? Description? Does anything need to be lengthened? Things seeming unreal? Those are the main areas that I'm concerned about so I'd be grateful for any comments on that. Also, if you'd like to carry on reading this, please let me know so that I can PM you when a new chapter is up (which should be around every week!)

Click here for the next chapter!http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=99033

WritingWolf wrote a review...

Well, I can see that everyone else has already got pretty much everything. The only thing I can say is that I'm still confused about whether or not Medo and Damien are the same person.

Great job! I'd love it if you PMed me when a new chapter is posted! :D

JohnLocke1 wrote a review...

Is the pace of this chapter okay?

Personally, I felt as though it could have been longer, but the pace was not something that hindered my reading at all. It was fast, but it was an entertaining pace. The Truth of Dare game could have been longer and it could have given insight to your characters.

Description?

Your description of the beach was very small, but I don't like giant, ridiculous descriptions of mundane things.

Does anything need to be lengthened?

As I said before, it cold have been longer in certain places. If it was longer, I feel as though you could increase the amount we know about your characters, thereby giving the reader a better connection with them.

Things seeming unreal?

Not really. I usually criticize writers for their dialogue being artificial, but yours seemed perfectly real.

Overall, I am definitely interested in reading more. Keep me posted. Happy Writing!

polinkacreations wrote a review...

Hey Blues, here I am!

Firstly, the name is really catchy - connotations of both violence and beauty. Nice:P

Little note: I apologise if I say the same thing as the other three reviewers! :) I guess I'll jump right into it.

The beginning is peculiar, and really amusing as well, which immediately draws the reader's attention and gives me the feel for the rest of the story. It's pieces of advice i'd give myself, too - what a coincidence:D

burnt it into my mind
- great use of the word "burnt" here - really powerful image.

A little note: the main character says they remember this day because of the swimming competition - but there is only one line dedicated to it. Do you mean what happened after the swimming competition? Of course, this is a very little nitpick and you don't necessarily have to fix it, it's just that I was instantly expecting something to happen at the swimming competition!

By the way, I love how they're playing Truth or Dare - it's a great tool to make the plot twist into all sorts of ways. Very interesting.

Very little nitpick again-
I'm going home after this…"" Said Jasmine
- you're missing a full stop after her name.

Woooooo… looks like Liam's scared of the water! I really liked how you cut off his own sentence, as if he's stopping himself from envisioning something evil in the sea. Great stuff.

And a cliffhanger at the very end, I love that.
In summary, this was an amazing beginning to a book which undoubtedly be awesome. As for the notes you made at the end -
1.The pace is good. It's a little rushed at the beginning, but that is okay since you're setting the mood. The rest was not too fast nor too slow.
2.Description - I could have used a little more description of the people Liam is playing with, just a little to envision them (unless we don't see them again *gasp*)
3.Things do not seem unreal - I was a little confused when you said it was February and they were on the beach, then I realised the scene is in Egypt :D
4.No extra length required - although I wonder what the very first part of the chapter related to, the one about advice. I guess I'll know later.

Thanks for the very, very pleasant read, and I will definitely be following up on this!
Keep up the great work!
~polinka

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:37 am
Caesar wrote a review...

Alright, hehi Bleus. Time for the reviews, as promised.

First off, my general impression of this was it was pretty good. The grammatical errors were minimal, as all the errors actually. I'll definitely be reviewing/reading more of your novel.

Onto the critiques.

For starters, that first bit about the character asking himself what advice to follow in life. It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the chapter, though I guess it's acting like a mini-prologue or what-not. I just wanted to point that out very briefly.

I remember that day so clearly, as if my history teacher burnt it into my mind because normally, I’m terrible at remembering dates or names.

Though this sentence is, I believe, grammatically correct, what follows the 'as if' doesn't quite sit with me. I would have gotten rid of it, like 'I remember that day so clearly. My teacher had burned it into my mind because normally, (...)' the shorter sentence construction gives a different feel to it, granted, but perhaps a good one, that of tension, let's say. Makes the readers curious, why is the day so special? Which it does regardless, so this is a subjective choice.

but I mainly remember that day because that was the day me and my friends had progressed

I'm pretty sure that should be 'my friends and I.' Right? Hmmm.

It was that day. That day that all this mess had started; all the hurt, the torn families, the pain, all started from that day.

Aha. Excellent. Now we get to the interesting bit. However, the novel kind of cuts it off, seems a tad disappointingly short. Though, it is a good ending, a very good ending. Perhaps the chapter could be bulked out in the middle at places? Not that's it's strictly necessary...

With the horror still on his face, he spun the bottle aggressively to choose who would be his next victim. The bottle span before slowing.... and landing on me. I covered my face with my hands. “No...

It sounds like he's signing the Death Note, not spinning a bottle. Adverbs like 'aggressively' and your character's reaction do that. Perhaps tone things down?

Alright, I like the dialogue between the characters, and dig the description of the beach (however, that could be bulked out to describe the area around which the group are sitting). What this piece lacks in terms of description, on the other hand, are the characters. We know their names and that they were clothed (not with what, even vaguely), but no physical traits and such. You may want to edit.

I dig this. Very much. Probably my favorite bit in the entire chapter for some reason.

“That was amazing,” shouted Damien,

I would have used an exclamation mark, to deliver more of Damien's excitement. Also a note about Damien, he was introduced a tad later, so when he first spoke I was like Oo where'd he come from? But that's irrelevant.

Well, overall, this was very good indeed. I hope to read more of it!

Blues says...

Thanks for your review, Illumi :D I really appreciate it :)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:28 am
DevanEWilliams wrote a review...

Hai Blues! <3 Here to review as you requested.

I'm going to give you my overall impressions first and then jump in to individual critiques.

I have to say, your opening lines were quite intriguing. It really made me wonder what was going to happen later on. It's not quite foreshadowing since it's so intentional and obvious, but still, it's effective.

This is a very interesting first chapter. Your MC turns from one who is simply observing the action to becoming a part of it and then...being left behind by it, I suppose. Your imagery is good, your descriptions are (mostly, I'll get to nitpicks later) effective, and your dialogue...

My goodness, your dialogue is fantastic. Your characters spoke in a way that was so real and...funny,m actually. They sounded just like my friends xD But really, the realism in your characters is wonderfully done. I have to applaud you on that.

CRITIQUES:

This paragraph is too telling, in my opinion. Maybe the beginning specifically. The "I'm terrible at remembering dates or names" part is a bit wordy and out-of-place, in my opinion. The Egypt thing is a little out-of-place, too (unless it comes up later? In which case, don't worry about it). Also, it seems funny to me that the swimming competition thing comes up and then isn't mentioned again this whole chapter.

When did this all happen? Just a few moments ago, they’d been standing there, still fully clothed, still smiling.

This seems weird to me. If it happened so little time ago, why did you jump forward in time like this?

We sat in a circle around a one-use barbecue that I’d purchased (they’re more relaxed about regulations in Egypt)

Wait, I'm confused now. I don't understand why the Egypt comment is important here. If you're trying to tell the reader that they're FROM Egypt (which honestly, I am still unsure about), then I would find a way to show this in a different manner.

The bottle span before slowing.... and landing on me. I covered my face with my hands. “No...”

Is he feigning fear or is he actually this scared? If it is the latter, I'd say that this fear is a bit unrealistic. If he's kinda joking around, I would find a way to show this a little better.

“Yes!” he cackled.

Repetition of the word "cackled" here, you used just a couple paragraphs before. No big deal, but still noticeable ;)

Just wondering, why is what he said not revealed? It doesn't seem like something that would be extremely important or intense, so I don't see why you didn't just tell us outright.

I flushed the taste down with a gallon of water

If MC has been narrating in a way that is completely literal up until this point, it seems slightly out of character to exaggerate this much. (Or maybe he isn't? Seems like an awful lot though)

Just a small punctuation error there.

Honestly, this part confuses me. Just...in general. Is he hallucinating or is he just getting vertigo or what?

First of all, avoid using "your" as this -technically- is a change to second-person POV. About the sentence in general: I like it. It's creepy and you can tell that MC is very afraid for a specific reason.

Problem was, when I arrived, they weren’t there.

This tone here doesn't match his fear that escalates at this point in time. It sounds too...I don't know. It just doesn't sound scared enough.

Something was very wrong.

...It's a little weak in terms of a last line, in my opinion. It sums up the situation in a very obvious way instead of allowing the readers to wonder what's going on.

That's about all I have for now. Thanks for the pleasant read, and I look forward to reading the rest of it sometime! PM me with any questions.

Keep writing! ^-^

~Devan

Blues says...

Thanks ever so much, Devan! I'll be sure to take your advice on board :D

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:31 pm
Cadi wrote a review...

Heyheyhey, Bleusy,

I'm not sure if this is going to come out nice and reviewish, because I liked this, and I don't know if I can find a lot to suggest for improving it. However! I will have a go.

First up, I love your opening. It's fun, it definitely gets across Liam's conversational narration style, and it lets us know he's going to say something really stupid later on - I want to know what. (I didn't read your first draft of this, so I really am in the dark here.)

I'm not sure what I think about the President's name (or is it a mangled version of?) being in there. On the one hand, you get across that Liam isn't really up with current affairs, but on the other hand it confused me and threw me out - I thought the guy was called Mubarak? I'm not really up with current affairs and Egyptian polotics either, I admit, but it was a little odd... a bit like hitting a small pebble in the road of reading. I'd be tempted to suggest saying something like "I forget the guy's name" instead, but your novel, your call. :)

I like all the stuff that comes next - the non-chronological telling of events, the kids hanging out together, this is all lovely. Then there's a little bit where I get a bit confused: just before they jump. Firstly, I'm not sure who Damien is. He hasn't really featured yet, and I don't understand why he has to keep his clothes on. Second, I'm also not really sure why Liam stays behind. He justifies it as looking after the bags, but not until after they jump - it might be good to clarify what's going on here a little.

And apart from that, I haven't really any other complaints. I like it! And I'm eagerly awaiting more :3 (Also, hah, I just made myself laugh by thinking "he ends it on a cliffhanger - hah, cliffhanger!". You're welcome.)

Cadi x

Blues says...

Thanks for your review, Cadi! :D

I suppose I should have mentioned that I changed his name for a few reasons - one of which was because I wanted to have a clean slate without worrying about what the real president would have done xD

*edits chapter*

Blues says...

Thanks for your review, Cadi! :D

*edits chapter*

Blues says...

Thanks for your review, Cadi! :D

*edits chapter*

Blues says...

Thanks for your review, Cadi! :D

*edits chapter*

Blues says...

...so YWS thought it would be funny to post that four times. xD

LouisCypher says...

trollo

LouisCypher says...

trollo

LouisCypher says...

trollo

LouisCypher says...

.....

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."
— Fredrich Nietzche (Philosopher)