simply simplicity chapter 2

by adelina

chapter 2

Someone had called, I picked up the phone, it was Becky my receptionist. "HELLO MR.CLARCKSON I BELIEVE MISS CLIVE HAS INTRUDED ON OUR PROPERTY, WHEN I ASKED WHY SHE WAS HERE SHE JUST IGNORED ME AND I BELIEVE SHE IS CURRENTLY WALKING STRAIGHT YOUR ROOM SIR, I SUGGEST KEEPING A GUN READY IF SHE ASKS FOR MONEY". Then she hung up, now you see I'm going to be very frank .I didn't make head or tail of what she just said as I had held the phone at a safe distance away from my ear.It's not my fault that a women of sixty forgets to put her hearing aid on and thinks that because she can't hear everyone else is deaf as well, by the by who the hell is miss Clive. Confused in this odd pradicament, my thoughts were interrupted by a creek of my door opening, with a young lady stepping out. At first I took no notice to her until I heard a slight "ahem'' to which I looked up only to have my jaw drop on to the file filled table.She was the hottest thing I've ever seen.She looked like a close relative of miss universe.She looked about five.eleven, thank god for that because I'm a six and be pretty embarassing to have a girlfriend thats taller than you I mean that would ruin the whole purpose of male dominancy. She also looked like she spent a lot of spare time at the beach because she was tan from head to toe but what really hit me was her hair and face. Her bone structure was so well defined bone structure as her high cheek bones drop down from her cheeks to her sharp chin. Her lips were thin and perfectly red but thats probably because she applied lipstick. her eyes were cat green and her eyelashes were long dark and smokey black. The dark black and brown highlighted curled at the ends wavy hair that dropped down to her waist was really got my eyes bulging.You might think I'm a pretty shallow guy going for looks but if you saw what I saw you'd be drooling like a dog that hasn't eaten for days but I was then distracted by the sound of her voice "wow! so your Kyle clarkson I thought you'd be one of those bearded, drooling guys I didn't expect a hottie".This I must say made me blush a little.I tugged at my collar and started slowly " so miss Clive my receptionist called and told me you wanted something........". ''shhhhhh" she said "please call me Miranda, and yes I did want something, you see I want a job at your company". I literally almost sat up straight and said "no problem just give me your resumé and diploma from your last business college"."You see that's the problem" she replied in her most intoxicating tone,"I don't have any of those..umm........ things I want you to give me the job just like that". For a breif moment I ignored her irresistableness, all I could feel was anger rushing through my viens, so to her I replied"sorry miranda but I worked tooo long and hard to het this company up and running just to let anyone in, you need to have qualification" but she just smirked and said "I assume you are familiar with the man Jhonathan Clive".I nodded."He is one of the people who funds your company doesn't he?".I nodded again confused to what her point was.

"That man happens to be my father, yes, that's right my father. I am sure that most of your company's sprouting is due to his donations", i just stared at her blankly thinkingshe wouldn'tI've worked to hard to see it fall now."But " she began again, "what if there was a sudden cut in this connection, do you know what would happento your company then? it will fall" she said coldly ,"so I hope we understand each other".I did nothing but silently take out an application form and signed and handed it to her.She smiled, made her way to the door and before she left she winked at me and said "nice having this chat with you, we should catch up sometime for coffee"and then she left. I just wish for once something would go right in my life.

to be continued

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:43 am
reason wrote a review...

work.php?id=98582

As Van (fireheartedkaratepup) stated formatting is crucial. I wholeheartedly agree with their review (even though they’re on another team which supports my read mama who I plan to take down.) Never use caps in a literary piece, it’s not done in novels and shouldn’t be done here. Moving on to something new.

I see lots of unnecessary commentary throughout the piece.

Someone had called, I picked up the phone, it was Becky my receptionist.

Could have easily been:

The phone rang. Tired at this point of the day, I loosened the noose around my neck before picking up the phone.

This is an ideal opportunity to slip in details rather than point out the obvious.

Now, Becky’s entire dialogue is written in caps. I understand she’s probably in a heightened state of emotions, but I’m still not sure how she’s delivered the speech. Breaking up the dialogue and giving us clues would be appreciated. Here’s my own interpretation (with some added commentary via the protagonist –which may be completely out of character):

Before I can even utter my name, my receptionist nervously rattled: “Hello, Mr. Clarckson.” Her voice trembled in a high octave, higher than the usual soprano: “I do believe Miss Clive has intruded on our property.” She paused for a microsecond –perhaps for a breath? “When confronted, she ignored me!” Oh, dear . . . Becky doesn’t do well with being ignored, I heard her drawer opening. “And –I do believe,” I caught the sound of pills shaking. Surely something to calm her nerves, I didn’t want to think too long on the implications. Becky emitted audible swallowing followed with a crisp staccato of a glass hitting the desk: “she is walking to your room.” She squeaked, “Keep a gun ready if she asks for money!” Becky hung up to breath I’m sure.

I sometimes worried over her and that all too neat desk of hers.

The reader can now comprehend how the line is delivered; each word is given more impact now that it has meaning. Each break acts like a breather that allows the reader a moment to process the information.

Confused in this odd pradicament, my thoughts were interrupted by a creek of my door opening, with a young lady stepping out. At first I took no notice to her.

Seeing how this is a narration by our protagonist, we know what they know and what they assume therefore we would have no idea that a young lady is the cause of the creak of the door.

Oh yes. You meant to use “creak” rather than “creek” the latter being a body of water. Minor error, I hate how spellcheckers can’t be more comprehensive sometimes. Especially when you write something late at night as I typically do. I digress.

That reminds me though –predicament instead of pradicament.

This is what I suggest:

My thoughts were interrupted by the creak of my door, but I didn’t pay too much mind to it. What in the world was Becky trying to say just now?

“Ahem.”

In general, use two spaces between each sentence. When it comes to the description of this young lady, I must question the use of Miss Universe. Miss Universe of what year? This year, Miss America won –is that to whom you’re referring to? And if she resembles a close relative has she also undergone the knife (surgery) or does she have an all-natural look? This allusion demands such clarifications.

The protagonist’s commentary of her height and male dominancy –it either shows how very shallow he is or his dry sense of humor, I’m not quite sure which one it is. Also hold on, did he just actually say this?

[It would] be pretty embarassing to have a girlfriend thats taller than you

He stated girlfriend, which means he’s contemplated courting her within seconds of noticing her existence. Honestly, when I notice someone attractive in my room I first wonder what they’re doing here and then leave the fantasy for a later time.

Now onto the mechanics of the quote above:

It would be pretty embarrassing (two r’s) to have a girlfriend that’s (apostrophe) taller than you

It’s unnecessary to state she’s tan from head to toe unless she’s nude in which case that shows plenty of commitment to having no tan lines and . . . wait, she’s nude? That’s my point she’s not nude. Nevertheless, he can notice she’s got a rich tan.

I’m surprised that we’re still describing this young lady. Is there an end in sight or point for that matter? It seems to be overkill. I understand she’s attractive with the Miss Universe comment alone. I don’t see any value in describing her beauty unless it becomes pivotal to the plot (I’ve re-read this chapter a few times and still don’t see it, but I may be wrong.)

I haven’t read the first chapter for that matter. Some of my comments may not be valid due to this.

Also, how does he get away with appraising her for this long with no commentary from her? I feel that he’s been intensely leering at her for a good ten minutes.

"Wow! So your Kyle clarkson I thought you'd be one of those bearded, drooling guys I didn't expect a hottie".

So you’re Kyle Clarkson

Her first lines from her besides the “ahem” earlier and I’m getting the feeling of an inane young lady. This may be your intention: however, the bit of “bearded, drooling guys” seems to be a bit overboard.

Our protagonist brings up Becky telling him of Miss Clyde’s arrival –which blows my mind. Earlier, he couldn’t make heads or tails of it. Now, he’s suddenly made out that small bit AND can recover smoothly after staring at her intensely. My suspension of disbelief snaps at this point.

She replied in her most intoxicating tone.

How was her voice intoxicating? Did it purr? Has Miranda come closer to our protagonist, posed coyly, and used a light drawl with a wink? Therefore giving her voice this alluring quality to it (you know package deal kind of way)?

I keep finding misspellings; at this juncture I request you run a spellchecker.

For a breif moment I ignored her irresistableness, all I could feel was anger rushing through my viens.

Rather than ignore, use forgot –it’s more powerful. It completely diminishes her attractiveness.

In short, break up the dialogue. Give the reader a more comprehensive understanding as to how they’re being delivered –not just tone of voice, but also the body language that comes with it. The visceral reaction of the characters interacting with one another greatly enriches a scene. I applaud you on raising the stakes with Miranda’s move there, but elaborate more on how very important this all is to our protagonist and how very painful it is to give in to her unreasonable demands. Good luck!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:12 am
Elinor wrote a review...

Hi adelina!

I didn't read your first chapter, so I'm going to review this based off the context that you've provided in solely this.

I don't know I can really comment on the content of this due to the amount of the surface problems you have. What I'm going to say is an important thing to learn if you want to venture into the writing world, so now is as good of a time as any to learn it since it's relevant: even a story with the best content imaginable won't be considered if there are too many other errors and mistakes to detract from the tale. That's exactly what you have going on here.

First of all, you need to learn how to format dialogue correctly. There's a good article on that here that you should take a look at. A part of formatting dialogue correctly is being sure that you go to a new paragraph every time a new person speaks or you introduce a new thought or idea.

There are other little things scattered throughout this piece that shouldn't be problems; things as simple as spelling words correctly (fixable through spell check), making sure you have a space in between the end of the last sentence and a start of a new one. Also, if you want a character to scream or yell to make a point, caps are detracting and probably not the best way to go. You also have a lot of run on sentences and the flow of this is just clunky.

Best of luck with your revisions. I'm not going to look at your content for right now for precisely the reason I stated above. Even if you had the most amazing story and characters, if this was submitted to a publisher it would be canned right away. I don't mean to start harsh, but that's the truth.

I don't want you to feel discouraged by this review. Everyone has to start somewhere. I think back to the work I posted when I first joined this site and I've improved leaps and bounds since then. I know you can do.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:05 am
fireheartedkaratepup wrote a review...

First of all, spacing. Make use of it, please. What I mean is this:

"When you start a line of dialogue--go to the next line."

When you change subjects, go to the next line.

"When someone else starts talking, go to the next line, even if you just changed lines for the last person who started talking."

See what I'm doing there?

Don't know when you should start a new paragraph? Go by feel. If there would be a significant pause, a scene change, a slight shifting in the story, anything--start a new paragraph. It's better for you to err on the side of too much space at this point, since your problem is too little space. You can go back and fix things later.

Also, if you want to signify yelling, have the listener hold the phone away from their ear, or just say she yelled. Don't use caps. It's annoying to the reader.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

adelina says...

ummmm...... ok I've read two reviews so far one is telling me to use caps the other not to use caps. um?????

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni