z

Young Writers Society



Inhumanity.

by Clarity


Just a first draft, fuelled by a book I am reading...

How do we know what we are? We are classified as human simply because of the form we take. But, what if I do not feel human? What if I feel more, or what if I feel less?

If I tried to put it into words of how other worldly I felt, I may be cast out. No longer looked at as a member of society, but as a freak. The girl with issues some may say.

I would be rejected and ignored. I would lose any sense of trust I have obtained over the years.

So, what do I do? Do I just ignore it? Hope it will go away?

I write to try and make sense of things. I write out all of my emotions onto a piece of paper, or type onto my computer screen. I do anything I can to express what I feel without being labelled as strange.

I am pretty sure I am not human. I look like one, yes. I sound like one. But I do not think like one.

I feel as though this body is just a shell for my soul. The real me fighting to be let out, but never getting anywhere. The disbelief of the world. The ignorance of everyone I know.

All of this casts a dark shadow over me, making me feel trapped and helpless. I will never know why it is that I feel inhuman. The knowledge is locked away, in that one corner of my mind that I shall never gain

access too. I want to know what my body is hiding from my soul, but I'm scared of finding out.

It could be something deathly, or maybe it could be the enlightenment of my existance. But, I shall never know. It is locked away with a key made of nothing. And if something is made of nothing, how is it proven

to exist?

I know it is there. The little itch in the back of my thoughts. Always there, but easily disgarded and forgotten.

Everything in this day and age is in need of proof. We need science to give us facts, and make sense of what the world means.

Some of us will never believe it until we see it. But really, we will never see it, until we believe it.

Why do I feel so inhuman? With the physical features matching the identity of one, and the few emotions one feel. What could be different? Nothing apparent is wrong. It's all on the inside, not the inside of my

mind, but the inside of my soul. And to find out why my soul is so different, I need to know what is kept in the small crevace of my mind. And it is that which I will never know.

I am being mentally tortured by not having access to my own thoughts. My own thoughts being kept a secret from me. When my thoughts, should be the one thing that is truly mine.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:27 am
megsug wrote a review...



Hey Clarity,

Here on request.
You already have several reviews, so I'm going to focus on the 'flow' because most everyone has covered the nitpicks. As such, a great number of my suggestions will be based on opinion. Feel free to disregard.

One tiny nitpick:

When my thoughts, should be the one thing that is truly mine.

I feel like there shouldn't be a comma at all. True, you often need a comma when a clause is definitive which often begins with 'when,' but that is often dealing with a time of some sort. This is not one of those times. Nix the comma.

Now onto the sketchy details:
It could be something deathly

Deathly makes this sound clunky and wrong. Perhaps deadly would be a good substitute?

If I tried to put it into words of how other worldly I felt

I agree that other wordly is awkward. I suggest alien.

General ideas:
I say this would make more of an impact if you gave more of a hint to what this alien part of you was. I'm sure you have an idea of what it was supposed to be. I don't want you to tell us exactly, just hint.

I do like the content though. It intrigues me. I hope this helps you, and I'm sorry this is such a skimpy review. The ones before me did a good job.
Any questions, post on my wall or PM me. If you want another review, you know where my WRFF thread is.
Megsug




Clarity says...


Thankyou!



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 358
Reviews: 19

Donate
Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:34 pm
ilovegeeks wrote a review...



this is amazing! you should really keep writing im ready to read more! like literly i was like woah man and kept reading and when it was over i was like noooo!!!! your very talented and i think you should keep up with what you do!!! don't stop beleivin' bro!!!




Clarity says...


Thanks! :D



User avatar
197 Reviews


Points: 13932
Reviews: 197

Donate
Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:31 pm
Lycando wrote a review...



Hey there Clarity, here as requested!

I like this story very much! It shows the troubled feelings of a human which doesn't act like a human. An interesting concept indeed...

I'll start with some nitpicking, since I see there are some errors.

"But, what if I do not feel human. What if I feel more, or what if I feel less."
Since you meant this as a question I think question marks are needed. And also the comma at the start isn't necessary.

"how other worldly I felt"
What do you mean by other worldly exactly?

I like the way the character battles with her own self, it's like trying to convince herself of a certain thing she is unsure of. It's what many of us do, unknowingly.

"It could be something deathly, or maybe it could be the enlightenment of my existance. But, I shall never know. It is locked away with a key made of nothing. And if something is made of nothing, how is it proven to exist?"
I like this paragraph very much, good choice of words and phrasing.

What I think could have been improved here is the physical being of the character. Sometimes actions speak louder than words. It's good to have a few actions incorporated to make the story come to life. Certain actions like "clawing my head" and "clenching my fists so tight they start bleeding". Of course you don't have to use such phrases, but other more mild actions may make the character look emotionally tired and such.

"When my thoughts, should be the one thing that is truly mine."
Shift the comma to right after "thing"
"When my thoughts should be the one thing, that is truly mine."
Read it in your head, or aloud, with the pause. Which one sounds more like a cliffhanger?

Overall I enjoyed this story, and I hope my review helped! :)




Clarity says...


Thanks Lyca! I thought I'd fixed the question marks... I'll have to sort it out! Thanks for the help!



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:51 pm
Shady wrote a review...



Here with your review, as requested. :)

But, what if I do not feel human. What if I feel more, or what if I feel less.
~ These two sentences should both end with question marks, not periods.

If I tried to put it into words of how other worldly I felt, I may be cast out. No longer looked at as a member of society, but as a freak.
~ These commas are unneccessary.

I write out all of my emotions onto a piece of paper, or type onto my computer screen.
~ I'd move this comma to right after 'emotions', but it's your choice. See how it flows each way, and see if you agree.

But, I shall never know.
~ Nix the comma.

We need science to give us facts, and make sense of what the world means.
~ Grr. I adamantly disagree with this statement, but it doesn't require a comma.

But really, we will never see it, until we believe it.
~ The bolded comma needs nixed.

Why do I feel so inhuman.
~ Question mark, not period.

the small crevace of my mind.
~ crevice.

When my thoughts, should be the one thing that is truly mine.
~ Nix the comma.

~~~

Okay! I didn't agree with your message in a few places, but it's a well written piece of work- just a few punctuational errors. Very clear and concise, and a powerful message that I could appreciate even though I disagree with it.

As always, just ask if you want anymore reviews! :D

~Shady




Clarity says...


Thanks, and I thought I'd put the question marks in... oops!



User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 279

Donate
Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 pm
MasterGrieves wrote a review...



Hello Clarity :) Nice to meet you. I am Adam, or AJ as I am colloquially known to the masses. Let's look at this piece, which you entitled Inhumanity. I knew that this was going to be cryptic, depressing and full of emotion and passion towards humanity. And boy, did you not disappoint.

"How do we know what we are? We are classified as human simply because of the form we take. But, what if I do not feel human. [This should have a question mark] What if I feel more, or what if I feel less. [Again, question mark]
If I tried to put it into words of how other worldly I felt, I may be cast out. No longer looked at as a member of society, but as a freak. The girl with issues some may say.
I would be rejected and ignored. I would lose any sense of trust I have obtained over the years."

I am not usually one to nitpick about punctuation, and this may be actually accurate, but I think it makes more sense to have a question mark as this piece is very rhetorical and the narrator asks themselves "who am I?" Your content is really good, mainly because you put things into detail. Although your narrator is borderline teenager at points, I like this part.

"Everything in this day and age is in need of proof. We need science to give us facts, and make sense of what the world means.
Some of us will never believe it until we see it. But really, we will never see it, until we believe it."

This particular part was interesting, as it shows the narrator go as far as to question constitutions like Science and religion as a basis for life. He/she is unsure of what to do.

"Why do I feel so inhuman. With the physical features matching the identity of one, and the few emotions one feel. What could be different? Nothing apparent is wrong. It's all on the inside, not the inside of my
mind, but the inside of my soul. And to find out why my soul is so different, I need to know what is kept in the small crevace of my mind. And it is that which I will never know."

You write with such passion and emotion, it's practically joyful to watch. It's a contrast, seeing how this piece is very personal/angsty. You make it enjoyable to read and I congratulate you for that, despite being about such a debatable topic. You actually make me think whilst hooking me. That's a great skill my friend. You are good.

As per usual, I have picked out the parts of your story/rant/monologue that stood out for m the most. Overall, great job. You have yet to write a piece I dislike.




Clarity says...


Thankyou :D




What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu