z

Young Writers Society



The Roads of Marceris Ch.7 (part 1)

by DudeMcGuy


Chapter 7 – Faith

Juliana exhaled as she examined the three pages her completed letter. I can’t believe I wrote so much, she thought. It didn’t seem this long as I was writing it. She folded each paper and placed them inside the cover of her study book. Well, I should get ready. Grandpa will be back soon. She gathered her belongings and looked back into the field to check on Radi and Lucian.

The intensity of the young men’s training left them covered in sweat and breathing heavily. Lucian now engaged Radi both offensively and defensively in an alternating pattern. After only a few moments of observation, Juliana noticed that Lucian was far more comfortable defending himself rather than attacking. His guard remained strong and effective, but he occasionally hesitated to step forward, which allowed Radi time to recover and attack again. Her brother made gestures at Lucian to come at him even faster and stronger despite their obvious exhaustion.

How can they keep swinging like that? she wondered. Aren’t they tired? It must get tedious after a while… Although watching them was interesting, she soon became bored after completing her writing. She lay down in the grass and began to daydream again.

Juliana covered her eyes from the afternoon sun when the clash of the swords came to a sudden end. Hmm, I guess they do get tired.

“J-Juliana!” Radi shouted. “We need you!”

What? He must be joking. What could he need from me? Juliana stood slowly as she brushed the grass off her dress and looked out into the meadow. L-Lucian? No!

Radi stared at the hill, extending his arms and motioning for her with urgency. “Hurry! He, he’s wounded…”

Juliana sprinted down the hill and across the field while staring at Lucian. He had fallen to his knees, holding his right arm under his left. What happened? Oh Goddess, please let him be alright! “Lucian! Lucian; are you alright?” The sight of him crouched on the ground and Radi’s bloodstained sword made her feel ill.

Juliana rushed over to Lucian's side and caught her breath. She hunched over and put her hands on her knees as she looked down at him. “W-What happened?”

But neither of the young men responded to her.

She stood upright and turned to Radi, looking at his bloody sword and then up at his face. “What did you do?” she shouted.

“I-It wasn’t my fault!” he said. “It was him! He, he didn’t--”

“You hurt him Radi! How could you be so careless?” She stepped forward and pushed his chest with both hands. “What’s wrong with you?”

Lucian looked up at them from the ground, his eyes stricken with pain. “N-No Juliana, don’t blame him…” He paused and took a deep breath before continuing. “I was too aggressive… and then I…I couldn’t defend in time. It was my fa--” He bit his lower lip and closed his eyes as he inhaled sharply through his nose.

Juliana knelt beside him. “Let me see it Lucian. I can help you.”

“I-I’m fine,” he said softly. “Just… just give me a moment. I’ll be alright.” The pain in his voice betrayed his words.

“Don’t worry Lucian. I can heal you, let me help.”

Lucian looked at her briefly before wincing and turning away; his right arm shook as he tucked his chin to his chest.

Why are men so stubborn like this? Father and Radi never let me try to heal them either…

“It…it’s his hand,” Radi said.

“Please show me your hand Lucian,” Juliana pleaded. “You don’t need to suffer like this.”

Lucian reluctantly removed his hand from underneath his left arm. His closed fist trembled as he squeezed his fingers against his palm and held it out to Juliana. Blood trickled out from under his fingers and down to his wrist.

Juliana took hold of his arm and gently ran her hands up to his wrist. “I’m going to open your fingers Lucian. Just stop me if it’s too painful.”

“Alright.” Lucian nodded and took a deep breath to still his arm. He still struggled against her despite approving of the treatment. Juliana wedged her fingers underneath his and lifted them as gently as she could while still using enough force to overcome his resistance. Lucian eventually relaxed himself when she was able to examine the wound.

The sight of his injury caused Juliana to release his hand and cover her mouth. Radi’s sword had cut cleanly across the base of Lucian’s palm from end to end, with the other side of the blade slicing his fingers as well. His entire hand was stained crimson from the nearly half-inch deep gash. You fool Radi! You could have cut his entire hand off! Lucian must have caught the sword to protect himself… otherwise he…

Lucian jerked his hand away and covered it again as he grit his teeth and groaned. Blood poured over the side of his palm and dripped to the ground as he squeezed his fingers over the cut.

Juliana looked over to Radi, who stared at Lucian with wide eyes. His pale face reflected a look of guilt; and Juliana shook her head as she glared at him. She turned back to Lucian and placed her hand on his shoulder. “D-Don’t worry Lucian. Just lie down and relax. I’ll heal you and you’ll feel better soon.”

Lucian’s arm twitched as he lay back in the grass and extended his hand towards her. He opened his fist on his own, but was unable to fully straighten his trembling fingers.

“Just breathe Lucian,” she said. “T-Try to think about something else.” Oh Goddess, there’s so much blood! None of the practice exercises ever mention anything like this.

Lucian did as she told him and began to breathe slowly. He closed his eyes and held his left arm over his eyes.

Good, he’s calm. So now I… I… What was the next step for a limb injury?

Radi interrupted her train of thought and leaned over her shoulder. “Can you really help him?” he whispered.

“Of course. Please go to the wagon and bring my medical bag.”

“Is that the small white one?”

“Yes, now please hurry.”

“A-Alright, I’ll be right back.” He stood and sheathed his blade as he turned towards the wagon.

“Radi,” she said sternly. “Take those with you.” She pointed to Lucian’s sword and sheath lying in the grass. “You won’t need them anymore today.”

Radi looked at the ground and sighed before gathering the weapons and jogging off to the wagon.

Juliana took hold of Lucian’s hand. “Are you doing alright?”

“Yes.” He wiped the sweat from his brow and relaxed his arm.

“Great. I’ll begin the treatment now. Your hand will start to feel numb, but that's normal.”

Lucian nodded. “Thank you.”

Alright, just focus my energy into my hand and then into him. Just like Roghim told me… Juliana concentrated her thoughts and will to summon the healing energy within her. She closed her eyes and began to meditate. Oh Goddess, allow me to become one with your spirit. Let your power be manifest through me. Heal and protect those who yearn for your grace!

A flash of white light appeared on her hand. Yes… I’ve done it, she thought.

“W-What's that sound?” Lucian asked. “What’s happening?”

“Don’t worry,” she said. “It's my healing energy.” The white light brightened as it slowly shifted to her index finger. “It makes a sort of mystical sound doesn’t it?”

“It… it sounds like a voice.”

“A voice?” Juliana closed her eyes and listened to the ambient noise of the light, but she could not discern any words or speech. That’s odd. What could he be hearing? She placed her finger over his palm and began to trace along the wound.

Lucian’s arm flinched as the light spread on his injury. “Ah, it feels... warm.”

She smiled. “That’s good. It’s working then.” Juliana continued her treatment and began to focus on his fingers when Radi returned to them.

“I’m back!” he shouted. “Here it is.” Radi gently placed the bag beside Juliana. He immediately stared at Lucian’s hand and the almost blinding white aura emanating from his sister. “Juliana! You’re glowing! That’s incredible!”

“Please Radi, I’m trying to focus.”

“Oh uh, sorry. I’ll be quiet.” He sat by her and began to look through her bag.

Juliana's concentration was unfazed by the distraction. She continued to heal Lucian while trying to keep him calm. “I’m almost finished.” The light vanished from her hand a few moments later, and she closed Lucian’s hand and asked him to sit up. “How do you feel?”

Lucian crossed his legs as he leaned forward and inspected his hand. “Um, it still hurts. I kind of feel… the same actually.”

“The same?” Juliana asked in disbelief. “But you should feel better! You should be healed!”

Radi slid over to Lucian and looked over his shoulder at his hand. “He’s not healed Juliana. It doesn’t look any better than before actually.”

No, this can’t be! He should be fully healed. “Show me.” She moved over to Lucian and stared at his wound in astonishment. It appeared as if she never even attempted to heal him, and blood began to pour out from the gash once again. I don’t understand. I did everything according to the texts!

Radi turned to her. “Did you do something wrong?”

“N-No. I did everything as I was taught. I felt my Lu-os enter his body. It should have worked.”

The expression of pain returned to Lucian’s face as he grimaced and closed his hand.

Silence came over the group as Radi retrieved a bandage from the bag.

How could I have failed? I’m gifted! A Pure Nheera! Why isn’t he healed?

“Isn’t this the first time you’ve actually tried to heal someone?” Radi asked.

“Yes Radi.”

“Then how do you know you did it correctly?”

“Because I did everything I was supposed to do! You wouldn’t even understand if I explained it to you anyway.”

“Don’t blame yourself Juliana,” Lucian said. “It’s not your fault; I’ve always been a slow healer.”

“Slow…to heal?” she asked curiously.

“Yeah, sometimes I had bruises that lasted a week or longer.”

“Of course!” Juliana shouted. Her sudden outburst startled them. “Radi, get my gemstone!”

“Your what?”

“The small clear stone in the bag, it should be in a case near the bottom somewhere.”

Radi reached into the bag and did as she said. “You mean this little marble?” The clear crystal began to emit a faint white light from its center as Radi held in his hand. “Whoa! Why is it glowing?”

Juliana snatched the gemstone from him. “A gemstone enhances the Lu-os of the person holding it Radi. It’s just reacting to your energy. You should have learned that a long time ago.”

“I probably just forgot,” he mumbled. “But it was glowing in my hand! Could I heal someone too?”

Juliana shook her head. “No Radi. I’m a Pure Nheera remember? You would need years of training to reach my level.” She held Lucian’s wrist with one hand and the glowing stone with the other. “I’m going to heal you again Lucian. The gemstone will enhance my energy.”

“You’re still a beginner Juliana,” Radi mocked. “Your energy probably just isn’t strong enough yet. How do you know it will work this time?”

“Because he’s a Kliaten,” she answered.

Lucian stared at her from the ground. “Wait. I’m what? What did you call me?”

Radi laughed. “Are you serious Lucian? Sounds like you found school even more pointless than I did! Wow, and Juliana thinks I’m dense!” He covered his mouth and struggled to contain himself as Lucian gave Juliana a confused look.

“It’s not funny Radi!” she said. “He doesn’t know. Just explain it to him please.” The white light appeared again and entered the stone as she renewed her concentration. Her entire hand was soon engulfed by the light as she closed her eyes. I'm here for you Lucian. I won't fail again.

Juliana focused her power into his hand while gently rubbing the stone over his skin. She resumed her treatment and was soon unable to hear Radi's voice as it became drowned out by her thoughts. I should have known Lucian was resistant from the beginning. It's likely that all the Dragoons are Kliaten. Time seemed to stand still as she entered a trance, but she was not alarmed. This is what the books said would happen if I exert myself. It's just a side effect, nothing more.

At last she released her grip and opened her eyes. “Do you feel better now Lucian?”

“Don't ignore me!” Radi snapped. “Show some respect!”

“I'm sorry Radi, I wasn't able to hear you until now. How long has it been?”

“I've been answering Lucian's questions this whole time and you haven't responded to a single word I've said!

“I really couldn't hear you Radi, I wasn't trying to ignore you.”

“But I was practically shou--”

“Amazing!” Lucian exclaimed. “It's like nothing happened! There isn't even any blood or a scar left behind.” He showed his palm to Radi.

Radi smiled at Lucian. “Well of course there isn't. You didn't doubt her did you?”

“Oh please Radi,” Juliana said. “You're one to talk. You said my energy wasn't strong enough.”

“Well it was quite difficult for you from the looks of it,” he replied.

“How so?”

“Well, you had to drown out my voice, and you’re still sweating even now.”

“I-I am?”

Radi handed her a small cloth from the bag. “Yes, a lot actually.”

Juliana took the handkerchief and wiped her forehead. She stared at the damp cloth before looking back at him nervously. “Um, it is a rather warm afternoon.”

“Ha! Just admit I'm right and that it was more difficult than you expected. Don't make up excuses!”

“I-It wasn't an excuse! I was just--” She silenced herself as Radi became alarmed and quickly hid the medical bag behind his back. What is he doing? She then noticed a shadow cast over her from behind.

“Give it a rest you two,” Dyne said. “Any louder and they'll hear your squabbling all the way in Melliark.”

Juliana turned around and hid her gemstone under her dress. “Grandpa! You're back.”

“Sorry I took so long everyone. The fish just weren’t very interested today.” Dyne held up three small trout hanging on his hook by their mouth. “You and I will have to share tonight Julie. Sorry about that.”

“That's alright,” she said.

Dyne lowered his fishing rod to his side. “So what did I miss? Anything exciting happen while I was away?”

The group was silent.

“Hmm...No one? How about you Radi?”

Radi shrugged and looked away from him.

Dyne chuckled under his breath. “You see Radi? It’s called a secret! At least you learned something today. Maybe there’s hope for you after all.” He gathered his fishing equipment and turned to the wagon.

“Alright everyone, let’s get moving. We need to make up for lost time.”

“Oh no,” Juliana said. “We forgot to feed the horses. Sorry Grandpa.”

Dyne sighed and shook his head as he looked at Radi. “Wasn’t it your turn this time boy? C’mon, I’ll help you because we’re in a hurry. Hold this.” He handed his rod over to Radi. “By the way Julie, I found your books and ink on the hill on the way back. Why did you leave them over there? It's not like you.” He pointed to her study materials resting under his arm.

“Um, I forgot them. Sorry, I'll be more careful.”

He raised his eyebrow and stared at her. “Right... I'll take them back for you. Get up Radi, let's get going.”

Dyne continued to sarcastically joke at Radi’s expense as the two men walked back to the wagon. “Maybe I should forget to feed you one of these days,” he said.

“Whatever Old Man.”

Juliana watched from the ground as Radi and Dyne left. She turned to Lucian, who continued to stare at his open palm. “Lucian?” she asked.

“Juliana, I can’t feel my hand.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that. It’s completely normal. It may feel like that for an hour or so.”

Lucian stood and picked up her bag.

“Oh, let me take that,” she said. Juliana quickly rose to her feet, but immediately realized that she was fatigued and without balance. Her legs felt unstable underneath her as the world spun in her head, and she took only two small steps towards Lucian before falling on her hands and knees.

“Juliana!” Lucian yelled as he crouched beside her. “Are you alright?”

“Y-Yes I’m fine. I'm just...a little dizzy.” She wiped the sweat from her brow and began to breathe deeply.

Lucian held the bag under his arm and extended his left hand. “I...I’ll help you,” he said softly.

Juliana took his hand and attempted to stand, but her balance was still poor and she was forced to lean most of her weight onto Lucian. “I spent too much of my energy healing you,” she said.

He turned his head away from her. “I’m sorry.”

“No, I didn't mean... It’s not your fault Lucian. It’s the first time I’ve done it.”

“But it’s because I’m a Kliaten. Isn’t it?”

“No, my body just isn’t accustomed to exerting this much energy. Please don't tell Grandpa or Radi, I don't want them to see me like this.”

“S-Sure.”

They walked slowly towards the wagon as Juliana struggled to stay on her feet.

“So Radi told you all about the difference between the Kliaten, Nheera, and Elseir?”

“He did,” Lucian said. “So people can’t learn magic? It’s something you’re born with?”

“In a way,” she answered. “People are born with the ability to cast magic, but some are born with greater potential than others. And it requires a great deal of practice to be able to use magical energy no matter how gifted someone is. Most people never make the effort to harness their natural power.”

Lucian repositioned the bag under his arm to prevent it from falling. “But people like me...the Kliaten...we can never learn to use magic at all?”

“Well…yes, but no one is sure why exactly. For some reason Kliaten people can’t harness the Lu-os power within them like the Nheera or Elseir.”

“I see.”

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of Lucian. Don’t think of it in terms of can or can’t. Everyone can contribute in different ways.”

They approached the backside of the wagon as Radi and Dyne argued with each other near the horses. Neither man noticed Lucian or Juliana step onto the road and walk behind the coach.

Juliana let go of Lucian’s arm and leaned against the wagon. She began to regain some of her strength as time went on. “Did they see us?” she whispered.

“I don’t think so,” Lucian answered. “How are you feeling?”

“Better now. Just help me inside.”

Lucian opened the back edge of the wagon and knelt while motioning for her to go first. He took her hand as she tried to place her foot on his knee and step inside.

But Juliana was still without her full strength, and her foot slipped as she nearly fell to the ground; catching herself on Lucian. Oh my, I... I can’t even… She caught her breath and stood with Lucian’s assistance as he looked at her with concern.

“Alright! Get in Radi. We’re heading out,” Dyne said. “Julie, Lucian; are you ready back there?” He approached the back of the wagon as he called to them.

Oh no, he’s coming! Juliana glanced at Lucian with urgency as she tried to pull herself into the wagon, but she was unable to lift her weary legs from the ground. She heard her grandfather’s footsteps growing louder, and she gave up as her exhaustion overcame her again. This is pathetic, she thought. How embaras—

Lucian came behind Juliana and suddenly grabbed her by the waist.

W-What is he--

Without warning he lifted Juliana over his shoulder and carried her into the wagon. He set her down gently and sat on the opposite side of the wagon just before Dyne and Radi both came into view.

Juliana was stunned how he was able to lift her with such ease with only one arm.

“You two ready to go?” Dyne asked.

They both nodded.

“Are you alright Julie? Your face is all red.”

“Yes, I’m fine,” she said quickly. “Just a little warm.”

“Very well,” Dyne said as he entered the wagon. “Let’s be off!” He and Radi stepped over Lucian and made their way towards the front.

Lucian closed the backside edge and quietly passed Juliana her bag.

“Thank you,” she whispered.

They both smiled as the group resumed their journey.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 am
Twit wrote a review...



Hi Dude! (I am so late, I’m really really sorry.)


Juliana exhaled as she examined the three pages her completed letter.

Missed out word?


Juliana stood slowly as she brushed the grass off her dress and looked out into the meadow. L-Lucian? No!

Kinda nitpicky, but you don’t really stutter when you think. I often stutter in speech, but I never think-stutter.


Radi stared at the hill, extending his arms and motioning for her with urgency.

Why is he staring at the hill? I get that Juliana’s on top of the hill, but in that case, shouldn’t he be looking at her, not the hill itself?

The bolded part sounds awkward. Maybe try “motioning desperately for her to hurry”?


Juliana sprinted down the hill and across the field while staring at Lucian.

There’s emotion in “sprinted” but it’s undermined by “while staring at” because that makes the sentence too busy. Just having “sprinted” draws attention to it so we get its full impact; and it also sounds better. I’d delete the bolded bit so we just have the force and emotion of “sprinted”.


He still struggled against her despite approving of the treatment.

This doesn’t sound quite right. Does this mean that he’s ok with her attending to him? It would sound better reworded.


His pale face reflected a look of guilt; and Juliana shook her head as she glared at him.

Radi’s guilt would have more impact if it were in its own sentence, and Juliana’s actions feel a bit convoluted. Try breaking it up: “His pale face was racked with guilt. Juliana shook her head, glaring at him”. Or however you wish it. :)


“A-Alright, I’ll be right back.” He stood and sheathed his blade as he turned towards the wagon.

Wasn’t his blade all bloody?


Juliana shook her head. “No Radi. I’m a Pure Nheera remember? You would need years of training to reach my level.”

I don’t remember these terms being used before? If they have, then cool, but otherwise it would be cool to mention them before so they don’t come so out of blue here.

---
Hey!

Juliana’s voice is a lot stronger in this chapter, and her thoughts knit with her actions so together they show a lot of her character, which is excellente. ^_^ I like the demonstration of her powers. There seems to be more of a determined mythology to it now, whereas before it seemed to be just “healer” and “healing energy”. If that is the case, then mentioning these terms before would be good so it’s not such a lot to take in now. This is the first practical demonstration of power, so the focus should be on that, not on the vocabulary. As you reveal all this at once in this chapter, it feels like too much of an info dump, so it makes me wonder how relevant it all is. Will the three different types of people be significant later on, or is just world-building? Either way, it should be handled with more subtlety.

PM or Wall me with any questions!

-twit




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:36 pm
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Dude!

Here at last with your review. Sorry this took a bit.

Lucian now engaged Radi both offensively and defensively
~ It seems to me that Lucian is progressing unnaturally quickly. He never lifted a sword before today, but a few hours later he's engaging an experienced swordsmen, and not getting clobbered? Seems a bit unrealistic, unless he's a super-fast learner...don't know where you're going with it.

she soon became bored after completing her writing.
~ I think that this bolded section of text is rather repetetive- you can just nix it.

But neither of the young men responded to her.
~ Personal nitpick: I'd nix the bolded sections. But, again, that's just me- it's up to you.

Wow...we do have very similar writing styles...Just two days ago I wrote about one of my protagonists getting her hand splayed open, much like this...we took it different ways, but this amuses me...

Oh Goddess, there’s so much blood! None of the practice exercises ever mention anything like this.
~ I like this...alot. It's very believable.

Dyne held up three small trout hanging on his hook by their mouth.
~ Trout can only live in cool/cold streams- so if it's warm enough that you could say, swim, your chances of catching any trout, let alone three, are very unlikely, as nearly all of them will be dead. This is a technical nitpick, but I thought you should be aware. I do like the effect that 'trout' has, it just flows nicely, but...well...there it is.

“Whatever Old Man.”
~ Whatever, by itself, sounds rather modernish. Maybe "Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, Old Man." Or something...I'm not really sure what to suggest.

Juliana quickly rose to her feet, but immediately realized that she was fatigued and without balance.Her legs felt unstable underneath her as the world spun in her head,
~ This is really 'telly'. Maybe put that she stumbled forward, or grabbed her head, or bumped into Lucian- an action, rather than an explanation. But 'the world spun in her head' was great. I really liked the way you phrased that. Great job! :D

And it requires a great deal
~ You know as well as anyone that I shouldn't advise anyone when it comes to punctuation, so I won't offer an alernative- but (and I've actually got experts to back me up on this one :P) you're not supposed to start a sentence with 'And'. I assume it's because 'and' is a linking word, so it needs something to link- but I don't know that. I wasn't given an explanation, just a rule.

Juliana was stunned how he was able to lift her with such ease with only one arm.
~ I like how Lucian has got Juliana's back. He gets mad at her sometimes, but, when she's in a tight spot, he's there to help (this bit reminded me of when he built the fire for her- which is good). I also like this bit that I 'quoted'. It reminds me that Juliana is just a teenage girl- that she's not so hard to connect with after all- which is really good after you just showed her (yes, I saw it. Shut up. xD) wielding magic. You captured her...I don't know how to put it. Just her teenage personality really well, which, I know, had to be really hard for you. :) Great job!

~~~~~~

Alright! A grand continuation of your tale! I really enjoyed it.

...For some reason, my 'overview' is giving me trouble tonight...

So I guess I'll state that I liked this chapter, I liked how you introduced Juliana's magic (well, it was sort of discreetly introduced before, I guess...I think...but this is a brief, good shot of magic that will be well remembered), and I like how Lucian and Juliana sort of bonded through this, then I will leave.

Bye! :)

~Shady





Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet