LDR (II)

by Audy

We walk
as tightrope
artists do:
a limb by limb
gamble
of dances
and distance,
bends and stretch,
ease and unrest
we are
the tip-toes
of a spider's leg
shimmying up
a blind man's
cane,
balancing the wait
of tension,
time, your needs
and mine–
here's the closest
we'll ever get
to flying
arms outstretched in space,
where gravity yanks
between a fine line
clinging
to the toes, and logic
breaks
the stringing
of our thoughts,
these phone lines
our lifelines
the thrill and danger
of borderlines,
and the story of our lives
written in lines
we trust
to walk

Aley wrote a review...

I like this poem and how understated it is. When you really get into it, you spread out the line and that makes a really beautiful effect with the visual side of things along with the eye movement. The thing I think you could really improve on this is the title. I don't really understand LDR, but it also has a two, so I might need to search your other poems to get the reference. As it is, I really wish I knew that one defining thing about the poem for nailing down my guesstimate about it.

I don't understand why it has to be a blind man's cane that the spider is crawling up. A spider could crawl up a person's leg and they might never notice it unless it was big enough. It's happened DX. There's also the arms, or up hair. There are a lot of freaky places for spiders to crawl. I think you should take advantage of the metaphor and really abuse people's fear of spiders. However, that's not balancing on the tightrope of conversational humility is it? I suppose a guy not knowing there's a spider there that could hurt him and being unable to see it is kind of the point XD.

Overall, I like the lack of caps in this poem, but I almost feel like it could do without punctuation too. It would be another invisible line that is being walked across.

Stori says...

I have to disagree with Zeph- the short lines are what make this poem remarkable.

zephion wrote a review...

Hello Audy,

This was great poem and a cool idea, a great metaphor. One thing I might do to improve it is to break it up into stanzas. Maybe this is part of the style, but I think that would make it easier to read and focus on the details so that you can take away more from this poem. Another thing I might fix would be in this part:

"that trickles
by
gratingly
slow,
painfully so."

You might want to change "slow" to "slowly" in order to maintain the pattern that you started, though I am really nitpicking here. Cool poem, and great work!

Zeph

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild