Unbroken, Chapter Four, Part Two

by xDudettex

The rain pounds against my rain mac as I jog up the driveway. My feet crunch on the gravel and my shoes splash through puddles, sending water soaking up the bottom of my jeans, but I keep my eyes on the wooden doors underneath the sign for Jasmine Villa, home for the elderly.

My shoes squeak on the lino as I step into the entrance hall. There’s some shitty classical music playing, giving off the aura that this place is the finest you’ll ever see. It’s not though. Not judging by the smell of bleach and moth balls. They could have at least stretched to buying some air freshener or candles.

“Can I help you?”

I don’t recognise the woman behind the desk. She must be new.

I pull down my hood and run my hands though my hair. I’m dripping water into a puddle at my feet. I must look a right state as the woman scrunches up her nose like the way Niamh does when she laughs. This woman isn’t laughing though.

“I’m Sadie Parker,” I say. “I’m here to see my nan, Vera.”

The woman’s rounded face pales at my name and I look behind her at the photographs pinned to the notice board, pretending not to have noticed. The pictures are of the residents on days out. My nan isn’t in any of them. Must have been from before Dad dumped her here.

“Sadie Parker?”

I nod and glance at her name badge. Gertrude. Oh dear. Looking at her appears to make her nervous and she shifts in her plush leather chair. My nan doesn’t get a leather chair.

“Uh, your nan’s been moved. She’s in room fourteen now.”

I frown which seems to make Gertrude even more nervous. Mum didn’t say anything about this. “Oh. Okay.”

“Third floor.”

“I know where it is,” I say with a sugary smile. “Can I go up?”

Gertrude nods, her wiry eyebrows up near her hairline.

“Thanks,” I reply. I squeak over to the lifts and jab at the buttons for a second before turning back to look at her. “Oh and Gertrude?” Her eyes widen from behind her thick rimmed glasses. “Don’t believe everything you hear about me.” The doors to the lift open and I step inside, glad to get away from the music. “I’m not all that bad. Honest.”

The third floor landing is just as dull as the second had been so I don’t stop to inspect the peeling wallpaper or crooked fire-extinguisher. I make my way to room fourteen quickly, knocking loudly so that if my nan doesn’t hear, the other residents will.

After hammering on the door for the fifth time, I let myself in.

“You’re getting more patient,” a voice says from in front of the TV. “Last time you only knocked three times before you barged your way in.”

“You should bloody answer then,” I say with a smile.

My nan gives me a gummy smile of her own from her chair. It’s the same red, velour one from her old room. At least they let her keep it. My like for Gertrude increases the tiniest of bits.

“I like teasing you. Serves you right for not visiting me yesterday.”

I roll my eyes. “I didn’t know Mum was coming over until after she’d been.”

“I’m not mad,” Nan says. “You visit more than your brother.”

I step into the room, slip off my shoes, and shut the door behind me. Room fourteen looks exactly the same as her old room. Same old fashioned wall paper and cream carpet. The same tiny kitchenette and avocado bathroom set, I realise, as I pass the toilet to take the seat across from Nan.

She’s in the middle of knitting something. It could be a hat for a giant or a sweater for a big baby. I still haven’t worn the cardigan she knitted me for my tenth birthday; I’m waiting until I balloon to a size twenty for it to fit.

I smile. “Declan’s revising for his exams.”

Nan nods. “Your mother said. Would you like a cup of tea?”

“I’ll make it,” I reply. “Two sugars?”

“Three. I’m living life on the edge!”

I laugh as I get up to flick the kettle on. My damp jeans are sticking to my legs and I hang my coat on the back of one of the two dining chairs that are set either side of a fold up table. I spot a packet of sweets in the bin but I pretend not to notice. There’s only one person I know who eats chocolate limes like there’s no tomorrow. “Go steady there, you rebel.”

Nan laughs in her cheery way before she stops, points a finger at me, and aims a serious look my way. “Speaking of rebels. How did you get that black eye, young lady?”

I drum my fingers along the kitchen counter and the lie comes easy. “I walked into a cupboard door. Declan hadn’t shut it properly.”

Nan nods but I’m pretty sure she doesn’t believe me. She may look like your typical sweet old lady with her blue rinsed hair and delicate frame, but she’s no ninny.

I get out two cups to give me a reason to look away from her. Sometimes it’s like she’s looking right into my soul with her bright green eyes. They’d freak me out if I didn’t share them.

Nan goes back to watching the TV and knitting as I make the tea, adding the three sugars that she’s requested. I settle for a hot chocolate that I find in one of the boxes she’s yet to unpack from the move.

I set her cup down on the coffee table before standing by the window. “You’ve got a better view from this room.”

“Yes,” she replies, holding up her knitted creation in front of her. She’s using a neon pink wool today. I’ve only ever seen that colour on one person before and even Pamela wouldn’t be brave enough to wear Nan’s handiwork. “It’s a very nice view of a car park.”

I snort into my cup. I hope she never loses her sense of humour.

“Sit down, you’re making the room look untidy.”

I look around at the still full cardboard boxes, stacks of Takeabreaks, and balls of wool next to her chair.

“Right.” I sit down anyway so she can’t complain. “So, how are you?”

“I’m brilliant,” she replies. “I went to bingo with Hilda from room twelve last week. Didn’t win though. Apparently it’s impossible to cheat if your handwriting’s as bad as mine.” She holds up a hand. “Bloody shakes. They do my head in.”

I bite down on my lip. “I’ll have to come play with you one day.”

“Yes!” Nan beams. “That’ll be nice.”

I return the smile.

“Seeing as you don’t have a job to go to. Again.” Her smile’s disappeared and she’s looking at me from over her glasses so I can’t roll my eyes without her seeing.

I pout. “I didn’t like it there.”

“Well I don’t like it here much, but you don’t see me running away.”

I grip my mug harder, my knuckles turning white. This isn’t the time or place to discuss how much I don’t want Nan to be here in this crappy home for the elderly.

“Did you meet the new warden? “

“Gertrude? Chubby face? Glasses?”

Nan nods and her loose curls wiggle on her head. “Yeah. She seems nicer than Karen was.”

I smile. Nan seems happy enough so the anger that had been threatening to erupt soaks back into me, for now anyway. I look to the small TV that’s set on top of a small chest of drawers, for a distraction. Nan used to keep sweets in the top drawer. A mint was always a sure thing if Declan and I sat through the visit without fidgeting. That was when she’d lived in her own house, over two years ago. I haven’t gotten a treat since she’s moved here. I don’t know if it’s because she’s run out of sweets or that she thinks we’re too old for her tin of mints. Or it could have something to do with the fact that I haven’t exactly deserved a treat these last years.

“What are you watching?”

Nan gestures to the TV with the flap of a hand. “Some awful program about antiques. The presenter’s so patronising.” She tuts. “I don’t know how people can sit around watching daytime TV all day.”

I know this is a slight dig at me. Nan’s just as good at making me feel guilty as Mum is. Sometimes I wonder if they’re related, rather than Nan being my dad’s mum. I’m about to say that having cable increases the chance of finding something decent to watch when my phone buzzes from my pocket. Nan doesn’t notice until I’m reading the message.

“Who’s that? Is it Niamh? Lovely girl. Has she got her car back yet? Shame she crashed it.”

Even though I love Nan, most of the time it’s best not to tell her the truth. Like how I’d told her that Niamh had backed her car into a lamppost, rather than that she’d had it taken off of her for setting fire to her ex-boyfriends bike. Seeing as I was there and may have helped a tiny bit.

“No. It’s from someone else.”

Nan’s face fills with glee. “A boy?”

I reach up to rub my neck, my feet shuffling on the floor. I can’t look at her for fear of blushing. It’s not like I’ve never had a boyfriend, but it’s not something I really discuss with my nan. Or parents for that matter. That’s what Niamh’s for.

“It’s from Via.”

Nan’s face scrunches up with distaste. “Oh.”

She seems to believe me and I’m glad.

“I went to Dexter’s the other night, Nan.”

She looks up from glaring at her wool creature. “Aww, that was nice. How’s Spencer?”

“He’s good.”

“Was there any trouble?”

I suck on the inside of my cheek. “I don’t think so.”

Nan quirks an eyebrow, like she finds it amusing that I’m attempting to shield her from the truth. I’m almost sure that she knows I got my black eye from fighting at Dexter’s. Not that Mum would have told her; Mum likes to live in a fantasy world where I’m a loving daughter who’s never got into a fight in her life.

“Good.”

We both pretend to watch the TV for a bit while we drink our drinks, and I realise that Nan was right about the presenter being patronising. I want to punch him in the face by the time five minutes has passed.

“I thought you weren’t friends with Via anymore?”

I look up from where I’d been staring at my phone with a frown. “I’m not really,” I reply.

“Why’s she texting you then?”

I open my mouth to speak but stop when Nan points a finger at me.

“The truth this time, Sadie.”

I twirl a strand of my hair in my fingers for a moment before sighing. “I met a guy at Dexter’s.”

Nan’s smile is smug and she tucks her knitting down into one of the open cardboard boxes as a sign that she’s giving me her full attention.

“And he’s kind of famous.”

Her hand moves to her chest. “Oh.”

I sit forward in my seat, my mind going back to the night I met Chace at Dexter’s. I know it’s stupid to feel giddy over a guy, but I can’t help but smile. “Do you remember me telling you about the guy who was in the film that Niamh and I went to see last year? We saw it four times.”

She nods. “Charles somebody?”

“Chace,” I correct. “Chace Milligan.” Even saying his name gives me chills.

It takes a moment but Nan seems to click, adding two and two together.

“And he’s the one texting you?”

“I think so,” I reply. “Only, I’m not too sure. It could be Declan messing around.”

Nan smiles patiently. “Does he know that you met this Chace boy?”

I shake my head. “No. I’ve only told you and Niamh about it.”

“Then what makes you think it’s Declan and not Chace?”

“Well.” I pause, not sure what to say. “I don’t know. I guess I just assumed it had to be Declan. I mean, why would Chace text me?” I feel a fluttering sensation in my gut again as I think about him texting me because he likes me. But that’s stupid. He’s got millions of models and actresses to choose from. I’m acting like a deluded girl and I hate myself for it.

“Don’t doubt yourself, Sadie.” Nan’s leaning forward in her chair now, her flowery skirt bunching at her feet. “You’re beautiful and bright and you have a wicked sense of humour.”

I smile appreciatively. Nan always knows what to say to make me feel better.

“You’re a lot like me actually.” She winks and I chuckle before looking at the clock.

I feel suddenly guilty. “I better go,” I say. “Mum wants me home by five. Something about tea.”

“You go then,” Nan says with a smile. “I’ll see you again soon.”

I nod as I get up. Nan goes to move too but I pat her on the shoulder. “It’s okay. I can see myself out.”

She smiles gratefully at me before I lean down to hug her. She smells like perfume and humbug mints.

I stand back up straight and she takes my hand in hers. “I wish you wouldn’t get into fights, Sadie, love. They’re never worth it.”

I look down at the floor, suddenly interested in the swirly red carpet. “I never start them.”

She squeezes my hand before letting me go. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Before you know it,” I agree.

I wait until I’m in the hallway before I take my phone back out of my pocket again.

Hey Sadie!

I’m so glad you replied. I’d love to meet up again. How does Ruby’s sound? Five tomorrow? Xx

I can feel my palms sweating. Could it be him?

Author's note - I think Vera might be one of my favourite character's ever. She's like a super cool nan. Anyway, I guess I'm hoping that this chapter shows Sadie's softer side. It hints at another reason why Sadie dislikes her dad so much too. Tell me what you thought, please.

Hope you liked it!

xDudettex

Shearwater wrote a review...

H'okay! I'm back again!

Okay so you really show Sadie's softer side and I do like Vera as well. I think the two are quite charming together but as Stella mentioned, there's a lot you could've still mentioned about her and the fact that two nice characters in one room could be boring. Though they are sweet and we got to see a different side to Sadie.

Now, as far as the text goes, I'm also a bit bummed out that we didn't get to see what they texted to him and when he responded. I can't remember, was that yesterday or a few days ago? I'm actually a bit lost and if that a few days ago does this mean that she left Chace hanging at Ruby's? Omg, that would be funny if she didn't believe it was him and stood him up. I doubt it, though - still would be funny.

Anyway, this is a pretty short chapter and there isn't much to really say about this one either. I told you I'd try to do a more constructive review for this but I guess I'm falling flat in that area, huh? Anyway, if you have any questions or comments, you know where to find me. Keep writing and you should totes just scribble on my wall when you post the next bit. I'm quite interested in seeing what happens with Chace and Sadie in the next bit. I know they'll meet, I know it! But how it's going to go down is what's interesting!

So yeah, all the best and all that stuff. Keep writing!
-Pink

StellaThomas wrote a review...

Stella again!

Okay, haven't we read the whole first part of this chapter already?

“Speaking of rebels. How did you get that black eye, young lady?”

it annoys me that after this casual reference, Sadie lies. To her own grandmother. But oh well. Each to their own.

ex-boyfriends bike.

apostrophe missing

So I know you like Vera, and it's nice to see her and Sadie being candid with one another. But overall, I'm not so sure I like this scene. It just seems a bit... empty, somehow, as if there's some integral part of it you're skipping over.

Firstly, I'd like to see a little more of Vera's life in the nursing home. Is she there because of the shakes? Did she want to go? Has going changed her? How does she feel about the atmosphere? These really are the kind of things that you can bring across quite easily in dialogue and I think that you should try doing that. She's a nice character, but she's only an outline. Also, which grandmother is she, paternal or maternal? Just curious.

It annoys me that we have a response from Chace and yet we still haven't seen what it was that Sadie and Niamh said to him. Personal thing, probably, but I sincerely hope we do find out soon.

If she's so bad at knitting, why does she continue to do it? As a knitter, I am confused :P

Overall, this was alright, but not my favourite so far. Vera does seem a nice character, but a nice character doesn't make a whole scene work. However, I really liked her and Sadie's interactions. I wish there had been a little more exposition, maybe? We hear about Vera's life, and you say you hint at why Sadie hates her dad- I think we need more than hints at an awful lot of things at this stage that you seem scared of saying outright. You have a blunt old woman here. Just the sort of person to state things outright without really caring. The plot moves a bit here with the new text and there's a little more character development, but other than that? You could strip this out of the story and no one would think anything of it. So try and make it a little more... important.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x

Sins wrote a review...

Before I begin:

“Can I help you?”

“Sadie Parker?”

“Third floor.”

This is the same as the ending of the last part. ;)

Hehe, anyways! Let's begin, shall we?

I’ve only ever seen that colour on one person before and even Pamela wouldn’t be brave enough to wear Nan’s handiwork

Wait, who's Pamela? Is my memory even worse than I thought, or have we not met this chick before?

I look to the small TV that’s set on top of a small chest of drawers, for a distraction

This reads a little awkwardly to me. It think it would be better if you simply replaced ,for a distraction with to distract myself.

D'awww, I really liked this chapter, and I have to agree with you on Sadie's nan. She's totally awesome and I love the way you've built her character. You've made it clear that she's old with the whole knitting thing, mints and antiques programme, but you've made her far more interesting by portraying her as a slightly rebellious old gal. She's like the older version of Sadie! I love the ending of this chapter too because it leaves us on a cliffhanger, and I can't wait to find out what will happen when Chace and Sadie meet up.

The bad news is that I really don't have much to critique... like, at all. I've covered everything in my last batch of reviews and considering this is one of my favourite chapters yet, it's hard to find something to actually critique. Plus because I already read the first half of this chapter in the last part, there's not much to cover. xD The only thing I can think of is more of a suggestion than anything.

Sadie gets the text from Chace near the beginning of her conversation with her nan, right? It seems strange to me that until she leaves her nan's room, Chace Milligan doesn't properly cross her mind (minus her admitting she thinks it's hi who texted her to her nan). Even after then though, she doesn't inwardly think about him.

If I was Sadie, while this was going on, I'd be all, 'omg, omg, is it really him? Did Chace just text me? No.. it has to be Declan. I'm being stupid... but what if it is Chace? e.t.c.' Instead, the text doesn't cross her mind, not even the fact that she's told her nan it's from Via when it's not. I understand that you might want to keep the fact that it is Chace who texted her a secret until her nan interrogates her, but you can still have Sadie at least think about how it wasn't Via who texted her, but still keep the true sender a secret. If anything, that'll make the reader more intrigued.

I have no idea if that made sense to you in the slightest, but hey, it's all I've got. I really did love this chapter, and I can't wait for you to post more because I totally need to know what happens between Chace and Sadie in Ruby's.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

Tsukarin wrote a review...

Hi, I am Tsukarin.

The story is really interesting, it tells me what is going on and what your character thinks about the things around her. There are some things that can be made better because the sentences does not really connect.

"Not judging by the smell of bleach and moth balls." maybe you would want to reverse the position of 'judging' and 'by'. So it would read, "Not by judging the smell of bleach and moth balls".

"They could have at least stretched to buying some air freshener or candles." I understand the meaning... but maybe writing "They could have at least gotten some air freshener or candles." or "They could at least spend a bit more just to get some air freshener or candles."

"My like for Gertrude increases the tiniest of bits", seems a bit complicated so trimming it a bit to "My like for Gertrude increased a bit then." or something along those lines.

You could add "It had" in front of "The same tiny kitchenette and avocado bathroom set, I realise, as I pass the toilet to take the seat across from Nan." So the sentence flows from the previous line to this one.

“I walked into a cupboard door. Declan hadn’t shut it properly.” I would have thought she said something much cooler like "I walked into the cupboard door, thanks to Declan." But I guess it works too.

Overall, I think I really like this piece. It is pretty open and like I wrote in the beginning, it seems like I know every little thing that she is thinking and allows me to see where she is or what she is doing including the things that has happened before.

I just want to be the side character in a book that basically steals the whole series.
— avianwings47