Dragoon story Ch. 2

by DudeMcGuy

Finally completed Ch 2.Still can't think of a title! #frustrated face. Decided to just upload it all together this time. 5000 words may be too long . . . Oh well.

Chapter 2 – Under the Branches

I’ll reference the story to begin the conversation, Juliana thought. She tightly gripped her grandfather’s storybook under her arm as she approached the tree. The girl knew she would need to learn more about the boy if she was to inquire about his crying from the previous night.

The tree’s enormous roots protruded from the dirt, and Juliana carefully stepped over them as she peeked around the trunk. She saw him leaning against the oak; staring into the forest with a blank expression on his face. She slowly revealed herself and stood to the boy’s right. Her hands began to shake slightly as she drew closer to him.

Why? Why am I suddenly so timid? She held the book in front of her as she inhaled and looked down at her fingers in an attempt to calm herself. Am I . . . afraid of him?

She glanced up and saw the young man staring at her, but he quickly turned away and faced forward again. Juliana tried to speak, but the words would not come. She had thought about what she would say to him for almost the entire day, but was unable to act when the situation finally presented itself. All she could manage was a weak smile in his direction, and her breath became audible and more frequent as she stood there.

At last the young man turned to her. “Are you . . . alright?” he asked.

Surprised to hear him speak first, Juliana finally gathered herself. “I-I think so,” she said. “May I sit here?”

“Y-Yes, go ahead,” he said. “I . . . I do not mind.”

Juliana carefully sat down next to him and placed her grandfather’s book between them. A cold breeze blew past them, forcing Juliana to hold her hair back with one hand. “Um . . . I just wanted to thank you . . . for finishing the story earlier.” She nervously pointed to the book.

“Oh, y-you’re welcome.”

“Have you read this somewhere before?”

“Uh, no, no I haven’t . . .” the boy replied.

His answer surprised Juliana, but she felt relieved that he was responsive to her. “Will you tell me how you know of it then?” She smiled at him, but the boy turned away.

He fidgeted with the soft patch of grass to his left, his hand twitching as he spoke to her. “I . . . I uh, I-I’ve heard that story many times.”

Juliana did not believe what she saw; the strong young man appeared to be even more nervous than she was. She reached out to touch his shoulder, but thought better of it and pulled her hand away. “Um, are you alright?”

He was unable to look at her directly as he turned his shoulders around again. “Y-Yes, I am well . . . are you?” he said awkwardly.

“I am,” replied Juliana. A long pause followed as she folded her hands under her chin and thought about what to say.

“Did you . . . need help with something?” the young man asked.

“No. I was only curious about the story.” Juliana’s confidence grew as she spoke with him, but she knew the young man did not feel the same. He lowered his head and began mumbling softly to himself before she could continue.

“Mother . . .”

“I’m sorry?” she said in an inquisitive tone. “Did you say something?” Juliana leaned in closer to hear his muted speech.

The boy recoiled slightly from her friendly stare; his voice cracking as he stuttered. “Oh, uh, my mother told me that story often when I was young. I . . . I’ve practically memorized it. T-That’s how I knew the end.”

Juliana smiled and gave her best effort to keep the conversation flowing smoothly. “My mother told me stories also,” she said. “I don’t remember many of them though. You must be quite intelligent to have memo--. . . wait, I’m sorry. I never introduced myself. I’m Juliana.”

“Oh, I’m . . . Lucian.”

Juliana responded with the first words that came to her mind. “Hmm, ‘Lucian’ . . . it’s a beautiful name.”

The boy blushed. “T-Thank you,” he said as he tried to look at her. “I . . . I like y-your name as well.”

Juliana could not help but giggle softly at his bashful behavior.

A few moments passed before she realized it fell on her to continue the discussion. He opened up a little when I mentioned the story. It’s worth another try. “Oh, um Lucian?” she said.

“Yes?”

“Will you write in the ending to the dragon story?”

The boy’s apprehension grew as Juliana turned to the last page. “Oh, no . . . I-I couldn’t,” he said. “I . . . uh . . . I don’t want to ruin it.”

“It’s alright,” she reassured him. “It’s quite old, my grandfather won’t mind. Some of the pages have been stained as it is.” She handed the book to him. “I’ll be back in a moment Lucian.”

She stood and sprinted to the wagon to retrieve her ink and writing quill. Lucian . . . He does seem kind, but why he is so uncomfortable near me?

Juliana quickly returned to the tree and sat closer to him than before. “Here Lucian, use this.” She dipped the feather into the ink vial and held it over the book. A small drop fell onto the paper as she waited for him to receive it.

Lucian reluctantly took the quill from her and gripped it tightly in his left hand. He sat quietly and did not put the feather to the page. His hand shook as he sighed and rubbed his eyes with his right thumb.

It’s nearly dark now, she thought. Perhaps he is unable to see it clearly. She pointed to the bottom of the page. “Here,” she said.

“Uh y-yes, I know,” Lucian answered. He continued to stare at the paper until he suddenly closed the book. “I’m sorry, I . . . I can’t do it,” he said.

“Why not?”

Lucian handed the feather back to her and turned away. “Because . . . because I can’t read,” he said quietly.

Juliana immediately regretted making the request. “Oh, I, I wasn’t aware . . . Um . . . I . . .”

Lucian hung his head and said nothing in response.

What do I say now? she wondered. I’ve embarrassed him! And I can’t just leave. I have to help him. . .

“I’m so sorry Lucian,” she said. “I didn’t mean to . . . W-We can do it together if you wish. I’ll write the final passage if you recite it to me again.”

Lucian quickly turned and looked at her with wide eyes. Juliana was startled by his sudden movement and briefly wondered if she said something to offend him. She expected him to be angry, but he did not raise his voice. The young man seemed to gaze at her in disbelief, smiling as he was able to look into her eyes for the first time.

“Y-You’re the first . . .”

“The first?” she asked.

Lucian’s grin widened as he set the book on the ground between them. “You’re the first person who didn’t laugh . . . when I told them.”

She had never seen him display any joy or happiness before. His laughter was both strange and comforting to her. And the feeling of nervousness that hung over them dissipated almost instantly.

Juliana penned the final lines of the dragon story as Lucian spoke them to her. The boy altered his voice to distinguish the speech of each character and raised his arms to express the size of the dragon. Juliana had to stop him twice to keep pace with his engaging and charming enthusiasm for the story. She applauded when the tale concluded, and Lucian reacted with a smile and more skittish laughter.

As time went on, Juliana spoke to him with much greater ease. Lucian became comfortable as well, and he was able to answer her questions with little hesitation. Juliana eventually shifted the subject of the discussion to their travel companions.

“I apologize for my brother and grandfather’s constant bickering,” she said. “They have a . . . difficult relationship.”

“I noticed that,” Lucian said, “But they do seem to work well together.”

“They only cooperate for my sake. I wish they would speak kindly to each other.”

Lucian chuckled under his breath. “You’re certain they’re related?”

Juliana smiled and giggled along with him. “Hmm, they’re not very convincing are they? Perhaps I should ask to be sure!”

She found Lucian’s laughter to be contagious, and they continued to casually joke about her family as the wind scattered the leaves at their feet. Grandpa was right about him, she thought. He only needed someone to talk to. The two eventually became silent again as the stars became visible in the last of the red and pink sky.

Juliana looked off into the distance. “The evening sky is so beautiful,” she said. “We can finally enjoy it now that we’ve reached the end of the forest. Look Lucian, you can see the moon just over those trees.”

But Lucian did not respond to her when she pointed to the stars.

Juliana looked to her left and saw him staring at the old storybook resting on her lap. “Lucian?”

He looked up at her. “Juliana . . . May I ask you something?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Your brother Radi, he, he doesn’t enjoy reading about dragons?”

“Not just dragons,” she said. “He doesn’t read much of anything anymore. Ever since the day he . . . quit.”

“Quit?” Lucian asked.

Juliana fingered through the pages of her grandfather’s book. “My brother and I were homeschooled by my mother, but Radi quit when he turned thirteen.”

“Oh, why would he do that?”

“Because of my father,” she said. “He was drafted into the military when we were both young. My mother and grandfather had to manage the farm for four years while he was away. I was only three years old when he left, so I don’t remember those days myself . . . but Mother said that father returned as a different man.”

Lucian remained silent and nodded as Juliana continued.

“He received many medals and awards from the war of 1210 against Serathyme.” She sighed and closed the book. “Radi became infatuated with father’s stories about battle and glory. He wished with all of his heart to follow in father’s footsteps and lead Marceris to victory when he was old enough. Father began training Radi to use a sword when he turned eleven, and they have been close ever since.”

“I see,” Lucian said. “So reading was no longer important to him?”

“I don’t understand him,” she said, “dedicating his entire life to a goal that will likely get him killed someday. He’s completely obsessed with his desire to become a war hero. He doesn’t read anything unless weapons or combat are involved, and he even asked for permission to enlist on his eighteenth birthday.”

“D-Did your father allow it?”

“Thankfully he did not, but only at the request of my mother.”

“But now he is traveling to Melliark anyway . . .”

“That’s right; he only had to wait another year. He . . . he opened his draft notice last week, and he’s required to report to the barracks before the end of the month. He was never happier in his life . . . the look of excitement on his face that night . . .”

She described the scene to Lucian as she remembered it, but was careful to exclude details that she considered too personal . . .

-----------------------------------------------------

The air in the house felt unusually cold for an early autumn night. Juliana finished preparing her father’s place at the table and returned to the family room. She pushed her favorite chair across the floor and positioned it near the fireplace. After a few moments of warming her hands near the flames, she sat down and covered herself with her mother’s quilt. The seat’s curved wooden frame creaked under her weight as she leaned back and opened her study book.

“Thank you Juliana,” her mother said from the kitchen.

“You’re welcome Mother.”

The two women became quiet as they patiently waited for Juliana’s father. The crackling of the burning logs was periodically drowned out by her mother’s humming from the dining room. The woman sang softly as she stirred the soup in her bowl. Juliana recognized the tune immediately and smiled as she sang along to herself.

I wish I could sing as well as her, she thought. Such a beautiful voice . . . She leaned closer to the fire to illuminate the right page of her text.

They waited only a short while longer until the front door opened slowly. Juliana’s father entered the house holding three loaves of bread under his arm. The man slipped off his boots as he closed the door behind him. Her mother stood to greet him as he removed his cloak and hung it on the coat rack behind him.

“Welcome back,” she said. “Dinner is ready dear.”

“I’m glad,” the man answered with a mock sternness. “Your fetch quest has given me a hearty appetite. Please select warmer evenings for exhausting our supply of bread in the future.”

The woman walked past Juliana and received the loaves from him. “I’m sorry dear; I won’t let it happen again.”

The man laughed. “I was hardly serious Lylia, now come over here.” He reached his arm around his wife’s waist and held her close to his body as he ran his fingers through her long brown hair. “Did you know that you become more beautiful with each passing day?”

“Not now dear,” Lylia said. She gently pushed his chest with her free arm; flinching as the man’s cold lips kissed her neck and cheeks. “You’re so cold,” she whispered to him. “Please Torin, not in front of Juliana.”

Juliana pretended not to notice her father as he released Lylia. She turned the page and lifted the blanket over her shoulders as she read on.

Torin looked over Lylia’s left shoulder at Juliana. “I see. Let me warm myself a bit before we eat then.”

“Of course,” Lylia said. “I’ll prepare the bread, but the soup will be cold if you are too long.” She turned away from the man and entered the dining room.

Juliana greeted her father as he approached. He rubbed his face and smiled at her as he warmed his hands near the fire.

Torin leaned over her and lightly kissed his daughter on her forehead. “Well, you certainly look comfortable.”

“Yes I am,” she said. “The fire is still burning as strong as when you left.”

“It certainly feels that way. That reminds me, I still need to teach you how to start one yourself.”

“Why Father? You’ll always be the best at these things.”

He chuckled and smiled at her. “So, will the white haired angel join us for dinner?”

“No, not tonight, she said. “I want to eat with Radi when he returns.”

“Keeping with your same routine I see. Do you still read to him about the wars of Alisator?”

“No. We finished with those last month. Now I only read him the news that he brings back from Parnett. Well, until he falls asleep that is.”

“I’ve been wondering how those papers began appearing in your room,” Torin said. “Radi visits town every day now?”

“Yes. Ever since war broke out with Serathyme again . . . he runs there and back as a part of his training.”

“That boy is incredible; he’s part horse I tell you.”

Juliana laughed as her father kneeled and embraced her through the quilt.

“Well, I shouldn’t keep your mother waiting. I love you Julie.”

“I love you too,” she answered. “I’m glad you’re home.”

Juliana continued to study as her parents dined in the room behind her. The house was peaceful while the couple enjoyed their meal, but they began to argue shortly after they finished.

Not again, Juliana thought.

Her mother closed the door linking the two rooms, and Juliana unintentionally eavesdropped on their disagreement as they yelled at each other.

“It’s not right,” her mother said. “Families are meant to be together during mealtime!”

Her father dropped his spoon in the empty bowl. “We’ve already talked about this Lylia. Radi works hard all day and trains in the evening. Late at night is the only time she can be with him.” The man lowered his voice, but Juliana could still hear him through the door. “She has so few friends as it is; reading to Radi has lifted her spirit these last few months. Even her cooking has improved because of it.”

“I know, but . . . she should at least sit with us,” Lylia whispered back.

Torin spoke normally again. “Please dear, you want her to sit through your incessant questioning of her magic studies? At that rate she would still be reading her fifth text.”

“That’s hardly the case!” Lylia shouted. “And Radi should join us as well! He could easily set his sword down for just an hour and dine with us.”

“He’s nearly twenty Lylia! You cannot treat him like a child anymore. You must accept that he’s become his own man now.”

“He can’t be a man and also be with his family? Why must he choose one over the other?”

“The matter is not as simple as y--”

Her parents were suddenly silenced by a knocking sound at the front door.

Radi wouldn’t bother knocking, Juliana thought. It’s too early for him anyway. Who would visit us after dark?

“Let me answer it Father!” she said.

The knocking continued as she stood and set her book on the chair. “I’m coming, just a moment please.” She straightened her dress and crouched down to light a candle at the fireplace. She placed the small wax column inside an empty lantern case and quickly moved for the door. Who could it be? There was another knock as she pulled the door open. “Oh, hello there.”

A young woman stood shivering on the porch with a lantern of her own; her fist extended towards the house. Her long blonde hair was curled and tied back with an elaborate red bow. Juliana noticed immediately that the girl’s sleeveless dark blue dress was especially short and tight to her body; an odd choice considering the chilling temperature.

“Hello,” the girl said as she lowered her arm. “Is Radi home?”

“Um no,” Juliana answered. “He’s still training outside.”

“Oh, do you know where?”

“Sorry, he never tells us. He hates to be disturbed during his exercises.”

“I see . . .” The girl looked down and covered her bare arms with her hands.

Juliana leaned against the door. “Do you, um, want to wait for him inside?” She gestured with her empty hand to show the young woman indoors.

“Oh no, my father and I were just dropping by on our way home from Parnett. Our farm is not far north from here.”

“Yes I remember,” Juliana said. “We’ve met before.”

“W-We have?”

Juliana nodded. “You’ve been here three times before, most recently last week. Your parents were both with you then. You’re Relia Bedwyr, your father’s name is Garren, and your mother’s name is Celia.”

“Oh, it seems you’re right, but . . . I’m sorry . . . I still don’t recall meeting you.”

Juliana laughed quietly to herself. “It’s alright; I just remembered your name as I saw you now. We were both standing behind our parents the first time. I’m Juliana.”

Relia smiled and nodded. “Oh yes, Juliana, I remember now. You’re Radi’s younger sister correct?”

“Yes, three years younger.”

“Well, thank you for inviting me in, but I really am just dropping by. Will you tell Radi I was here?”

“I will tell him when he returns.”

“Wonderful. Thank you so much Juliana.” The girl turned and walked away quickly as Juliana said goodbye.

Just dropping by dressed like that? She could have thought of a more plausible lie. She blew out the candle and returned inside.

Her father stood over the chair holding her text. “Who were you talking to?” he asked.

“That was Relia, from the Bedwyr farm.”

“Relia . . . Relia . . . is she the blonde one?”

Juliana sat down and received her book from Torin as he covered her with the blanket. “Yes Father. Is that how you distinguish them now?” she asked.

“I’m sorry Angel; it’s become more difficult to remember all of Radi’s admirers lately. Relia is a good girl.”

“Why does he ignore them all Father? Shouldn’t he at least tell them he’s not interested?”

The man adjusted the charred logs with a long metal rod and crouched near the flames to light his hand pipe. “He doesn’t want to hurt them Juliana. Besides, what’s the harm in letting them dream about him until they’ve met someone else?”

Juliana shook her head. “All those girls swooning over him will only further inflate his pride. He should stop wasting their time.”

“Is that envy I hear?”

“Of course not!” Juliana shouted. She quickly covered her mouth as Torin glared at her from the fireplace.

“Forgive me father, I did not intend any disrespect.”

The man stood and turned his back as he exhaled the smoke away from her. “I know Julie,” he said softly. “Radi will deal with his own affairs. We must lower our voices now, your mother retired early tonight.”

The two spent the majority of the evening on far sides of the room. They said very little to each other so Juliana could concentrate on her studies. Her father smoked his pipe and polished the swords and medals hanging on the opposite wall. He only spoke to her only when the wood in the fireplace required his attention. Juliana sighed and closed the book when she finally finished the last page.

“Only one left now Julie?” Torin asked.

“Um, no, this was actually the last.”

“You’ve read twelve already?” He extinguished his pipe and walked over to her to examine the cover.

“Well, three hundred pages in two days . . . Juliana, you know we can’t afford anoth--.”

“I know father, I . . . I will read them all from the beginning starting tomorrow.”

“Perhaps you should read them over at a slower pace.”

She smiled and stood from the chair. “I will. I have enough material to review for a long time now.”

“Good,” Torin said as he hugged her. “I’m leaving to join your mother now. Will Radi be home soon?”

“Yes. I need to prepare our meal.”

“Please do so silently Angel. Your mother left what you need in the kitchen.”

“Thank you Father,” she said. “Good night.”

“Good night Julie. I love you.”

Juliana took one of the candles on the dining room table and ignited the wood under the kitchen furnace. She mixed her brother’s favorite spices into the stew and heated the kettle. The weak fire under the furnace was of little comfort to her cold skin, and she returned to the family room after slicing the bread and preparing two places at the table.

To her great dismay, the flames in the fireplace were nearly extinguished. She poked at the blackened logs with the metal rod in an attempt to renew the fire. Her efforts were in vain however, and she eventually retreated to her chair. The large room became dark and unsettling as the last few embers died out. Juliana decided to light her lantern with a candle from the other room. She placed her light on the floor and sat against the wall facing the door as she waited for Radi to enter.

How can he withstand such cold? she wondered. He’ll be home soon. Strong gusts of wind intermittently shook the door handle and fooled her. She looked up, expecting the door to open, but was disappointed time after time. Where is he?

Juliana began to worry for her brother as she fought her body’s desire for sleep. She periodically paced between the door and the kitchen to check on the meal, which was now too warm to consume. He’s never late like this! Did something happen? Should I go find him? No, it’s far too dark now, and I’ve no idea where to even look.

She eventually placed her lantern on the table and dowsed the furnace flames with water. Her body became too weary and exhausted to return to the other room. She sat down and rested her head on the table as she closed her eyes and began to doze. He . . . he should know I’m waiting for him. Wait . . . could he be with Relia? That girl she . . . no . . . She can’t find . . . Radi . . . please come home . . . where are you . . . where--. Time seemed to stand still, and she fell asleep with her brother’s absence weighing heavily on her heart.

“Juliana! Juliana! Wake up!” Radi shouted. He shook Juliana gently and caught her as she fell from the chair when she awoke. “Wake up Juliana! I’m home!”

Juliana opened her eyes slowly and looked up at him. “R-Radi? You’re . . . home?”

“Don’t you recognize your own brother in front of you? I said I’ve returned!”

She stood and leaned her weight on the chair as she rubbed her eyes. Most of the candles on the table were burnt out, and the remaining few had melted down to their base. “I see you Radi,” she whispered.

“Where have you been? I prepared din--”

“Yes, yes. Thank you! I’m sorry I’ve come later than usual! Where is Father?” he shouted.

Juliana rushed over to him and tried to cover his mouth, but he turned her hands away easily. “Lower your voice Radi! Mother and Father have been sleeping upstairs in their room for hours now.”

“We should wake them then!”

“For what reason?”

“Look at this!” He waved a folded paper in front of her.

Juliana snatched the sheet from him and brushed her hair away from her face. The poor lighting of the kitchen forced her to squint to read the small lettering. Radi quickly moved behind her and looked over her shoulder as she quietly read out loud.

“To the family of Radi Karis,

On behalf of His Majesty King Nirune and the proud forces of Marceris, it is my great privilege to

inform you that your son has been selected to serve in defen--.”

Juliana gasped and covered her mouth as she slumped into the chair again. N-No, it can’t be. The wording is the same as father’s . . . The paper shook in her hands.

“Do you realize what this is Juliana? I’m to depart for Melliark!”

“P-Please contain yourself Radi,” she whispered. “How did you get this?”

“Someone in Parnett mentioned the mail carriers were ordered to make urgent deliveries tonight. So I waited for their arrival outside.”

“You’ve been training near the mailbox the entire night?” she asked.

“Yes, I’m sorry. I should have come inside to tell you, but look!” He laughed and pointed to the bottom of the page. “It bears the Elentien royal seal! And it’s signed by Senior General Harik!”

Juliana lost her composure and yelled back at him. “How can you be so excited? Do you know what this means?”

“Of course I do! I’ve been waiting many long years for this day! All of my training will fina--.”

Torin suddenly swung open the door from the family room. “What is this commotion?” he shouted. “You are both to go to sleep immediately! We will talk about this in the morn--.”

“Father!” Radi yelled. “It has finally arrived Father!” he grabbed the draft notice from Juliana’s trembling hands and rushed to the man’s side. “Look! I’ve been drafted! I must register in Melliark!”

Juliana looked on as her father examined the paper. His anger quickly morphed into pride and joy for his son, and he embraced Radi as he lovingly shook him. “W-We must tell your mother! Come Radi!”

The two men dashed out of the room, leaving Juliana alone as she tried to hold back her tears.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“Mother wrote a letter to my grandfather that same night. I convinced her and father to allow me to accompany Radi to Melliark, but they only agreed because the cleric school there is the best in all of Marceris.” Juliana became quiet as she went on. “However . . . my parents could not join us. The coming harvest is one of the most important crops of the entire year. And my father said that we could not ignore our responsibility to the neighboring villages . . . I, I should be happy for Radi, it’s what he’s wished for his entire life, but what if he . . . what will I . . .”

“I see,” Lucian said. “So, you can heal people? With magic?

Oh! I’ve been rambling; I haven’t given him a chance to speak this entire time! “Uh, Yes, Well I’ve only studied thus far. I haven’t actually healed anyone before, but I will soon.”

“Is it difficult?”

“I don’t think it will be, but it depends on the wound or illness in question. But that’s enough about my life. Tell me about yourself Lucian.”

“M-Myself?”

Juliana nodded. “Yes. Why are you traveling to Melliark?” Her question was followed by an awkward silence. “I’m sorry Lucian; I didn’t intend to make you uncomfortable.”

“Uh, n-no I, I just . . .” The young man folded his hands and let out a loud sigh as he stared at the branches overhead. “I . . . I’m . . .”

This is awful, she thought. He feels obligated to answer because I’ve revealed so much about myself. But we’ve only just met; he doesn’t have enough trust in me to answer my question. I’ve embarrassed him again. . .

Lucian finally took control of his stuttering and spoke to her softly. “Juliana, please forgive my nervousness. I . . . I do not speak to strangers often, but . . . I feel as if I can trust you.”

Juliana became surprised as he seemed to answer her thought.

The young man gazed into her dark-green eyes. “Will you keep my secret?” he asked. “I . . . I need to tell this to someone.”

“Y-Yes,” she said. “I won’t tell anyone. I promise.”

Lucian looked all around the campsite as he began to untie his headband.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:03 am
Rubric wrote a review...

“You’re the first person who didn’t laugh . . . when I told them.”
Take England as an example: they didn’t start anything like a public education system until well after the industrial revolution had begun:we’re talking 18th-19th century here. It says something really powerful about the country that this is taking place in that you’d expect everyone to read: or that it would seem abnormal enough to deride if they did not. That doesn’t make it wrong or bad, it just means that there’s this expectation in the reader about how public services will operate (though you’ve already hinted at that with the supply of books and now writing materials.) Books are expensive, but everyone know how to read: even though most people don't have ready access to the written word, their parents and their government make sure that they learn to do so when they could be spending that time working the fields or doing chores.

“My brother and I were homeschooled by my mother, but Radi quit when he turned thirteen.”
This is a really good explanation. Tiny nitpick: would they use the term homeschooled? We use it these days to contrast with public education, so its appropriateness is probably determined by the existence or non-existence of that contrast in your world.\

“but Mother said that father”
Capitalisation.

“war of 1210”
If you refer to this date with letters, it lets you build in a vernacular that you’re hinting at through the date reference rather than an ornate title. The war of Twelve-Ten. Just a thought.

“You’re Radi’s younger sister correct?”
Throw a comma before correct, or it sounds like she’s asking if her name is Correct.

Juliana, you know we can’t afford anoth--.”
Good job, working in the fact that books are actually a commodity that weighs heavily on the family finances.

Sorry I didn't have more for you, a few little birdies got here before I did, so I tried to keep focussed on the world building, with a side of characterisation.

Cheers,

Rubric

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:33 pm
guineapiggirl wrote a review...

So, the last bit of my review...
Good ending bit but I think you should flesh it out a bit more before you get the whole whatever he's going to say... So, they could talk a bit more about what she's said. He could put off telling her a bit more, just saying this and that... I don't know. It's just there was a big first section, a big flashback and then just a paragraph or so. Alternatively, you could move some of the earlier stuff to the end.
SO, I've reviewed this chapter finally and you seem to have another one- with a title! Congrats!

guineapiggirl wrote a review...

I've read the whole flashback now- It's brilliant!
Your description and characterization is suberb! I really loved the way you built up the personalities of all the characters and the relationships between them. I particularly liked the way you showed the relationship between the Father and Mother. I also really liked what you showed us about the characters of Radi and Juliana- I thought the scene with the girl (the blonde one) and what Juliana and her Father said afterwards showed us quite a lot about him and the mixed reactions to him being called up were fascinating. I loved how Juliana was left alone at the end... That makes me sound mean :)
Description and detail were excellent- the fire and the candles burning down in particular.
I also loved the tension you built while Juliana was waiting for him, and how this and the thing with the girls show him to be quite a bit selfish, or just insensitive. It's very good.
There's not a lot to improve on... All I can say is that some of the dialogue wasn't great- although I liked the relationship between Father and Mother it felt awkward to read. I'm not really sure why. The conversation between Juliana and the blonde one also felt awkward, but then it probably was. I think basically you just need to work on making what they say sound realistic, and the bits describing what they say. Just read those bits over and see if I'm making any sense maybe...
Basically though, you're an awesome writer and I love your story!
And I will do the last bit between Juliana and Lucien by... Wednesday! Hopefully. :D

Shearwater wrote a review...

Heya, Dude!

Sorry for being a bit late with this review. Anyway, I see that you've given your story a name but I gotta say, "Dragoon Story" is kind of an uninteresting title? I think you did it just for the sake of filling up the space. I kind of don't get why title's are hard for people, for me I just named it according to a theme or object in my story or the first thing that pops into my head. I usually don't dwell on titles because honestly, it's the story people are going to remember. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't feel obligated to name it something as epic as "Prometheus" or anything too complicated.

So, I liked this chapter! There was a better pacing to it and it was well written. I did come across some odd sentences and one typo with a capitalization error but I'm sure Twit might've gotten most of the nitpicks done.

As for Juliana's character here, I felt as if her emotions were slightly a bit more telly in this chapter than showy. I guess this was mostly in the beginning but it panned out better near the end. Also, since we're on the topic of the beginning I felt like you over-did your hyphenated words in the dialogue. I understand that both Lucian and Juliana are nervous and shy when talking to one another but I find it unbelievable that they would stutter that much. When you're nervous, scared or shy and trying to have a conversation, I picture characters saying less and using more body language. Shorter sentences, avoiding eye contact, maybe more 'um' and 'uh'. Anyway, I think you can cut out some of those ellipses and hyphens because for me, they did get annoying.

Also, Lucian came off completely different than what I imagined him to be. I thought he was one of those cold-hearted characters with a painful past. Not going to say I'm disappointed with the shy Lucian but if he was this shy and nervous to talk to someone else, I would've liked a heads-up in the previous chapter that would explain some of his personality.

The middle section about her flashback was, to me, slightly draggy and boring. I skimmed over it because all I really needed to know was about her interaction with her parents and the lady at the door and the letter. If I were to write this, I'd cut it down and only keep what I needed in this memory or just have Juliana tell the story through her own words instead of jumping into a flashback. You already mentioned half of the conflicts she had at home beforehand so the flashback was merely repeating some of the same things that had been mentioned already.

Overall, I did like this chapter and I'm interested in seeing who Lucian is and what's on his forehead. I imagine it's some sort of scar or birthmark that connects him to something else but I don't know. We'll see! =]

Let me know if you have any questions or when you post the next part.
-Pink

guineapiggirl wrote a review...

Chapter 2 – Under the Branches

Paragraph 1- Good, nice. WHy do you call her 'the girl' though? She would suffice perfectly well, better even.
Paragraph 2- Some lovely description and atmospheric build up stuff.
Paragraph 3- Ditto, though I'm not sure about 'inhaled'.
Paragraph 4- I'm loving the chemistry you're building up between them.
Paragraph 5/ Dialogue- Very nice. Funny how he asks if she's alright. Not sure about the hesitation when she asks if she can sit- it makes him sound like he can't speak the language very well. Move the pauses a bit, methinks. I like the way she brings up the story and what he says about it. It makes it a bit obvious that he's involved with these dragoon-y people but that's fine. I like where this is going. I like the awkwardness afterwards, and how she's feeling awkward because of him but he's probably feeling awkward because of his dragoon-y secret. Good good. That Mother stuff is interesting. Is he telling the truth? I like there whole conversation, the names, the book... You've really built up a relationship between them and got some interesting stuff in here. I really like how he won't write in the book.
Second Dialogue- Good how she hurries to get the ink, not wanting to keep him waiting and stuff... Nice description with the drop. HE CAN'T READ! Poor boy, he is missing out on one of life's greatest joys... And also good. And that makes their whole conversation have been really awkward for him.... I like lots. Unless he's lying because he thinks this is a very special almost-holy book... Sorry, over-guessing. I've been reading too much Agatha Christie lately...
No, he's not lying. That's sad how everyone laughed... The feeling I was getting of the time period made me think not everyone would be able to read? Anyway, it's good that he's not upset with her.
I love your description of how he tells the story. I love all your description!
The conversation about the brother and grandfather I'm not sure about... My impression was that it was just friendly banter?
I really like this whole scene with them bonding, and the stuff about the stars and the sky. Good description... Quite romantic sounding.
I think what Juliana says is a bit over-the-top, about the beauty of the sky etc.
Why does it suddenly matter to Lucien so much whether Radi enjoys reading about dragons? Is this just an excuse to get some information about Radi in? That's what it feels like. Unless it's something that's been troubling Lucien lots... But that doesn't seem very realistic from the scene we've just had... I do however like the way she's told it. So, next section...

Nice scene setting, I can really see the house... Although I doubt she described it to Lucien in that much detail, but that doesn't matter. But lovely description throughout the whole thing. It seems very homely, etc.
I need to go and I have another hundred thousand words of yours to read (well, not quite!), so I'll copy the last line of what I haven't done yet here and do it at some point... Although that some point might end up being after guide camp. Sorry. I hope you like my first bit of review; I've tried to do it thoroughly after keeping you waiting so long!

Twit wrote a review...

Hi again Dude! I’m really glad you’ve found my comments helpful! I worry that I’m being too harsh and people get put off, but at the same time I do want to be honest. Anyway, I’m happy I’ve been helpful. :)

The girl knew she would need to learn more about the boy if she was to inquire about his crying from the previous night.

You don’t need to refer to Juliana as “the girl”. It distances us from her as we’re now seeing her from the outside. Coming so close to “the boy” makes for some awkward repetition as well.

I’m not sure about the hesitancy here. I know Juliana’s timid as you’ve shown us her emotions (:D) but I’m not sure why the boy is stuttering as well. He’s been broody, but he hasn’t seemed to be scared, just reserved. To have them both stuttering is weird, and it takes away from Juliana’s characterisation. It’s like, “Oh, everybody stutters, it’s the way Dude writes his characters” and doesn’t say anything about Juliana individually.

His answer surprised Juliana, but she felt relieved that he was responsive to her.

Awkward phrasing. Maybe say, She felt relieved that he responded at all.

Juliana did not believe what she saw; the strong young man appeared to be even more nervous than she was.

This is better—by commenting on it you’re bringing the focus back to Juliana. He’s still doing an awful lot of stuttering though. If you read it out loud, it doesn’t sound as natural as it should.

Both bolded phrases are clunky and have too many words in. Be pithy! Maybe try, ”I’m sorry?” she asked quickly. “Did you say something?” “Asked” shows more than “said” and using “quickly” shows her interest. I’d take out the last part completely as it doesn’t add much and it’s rather an awkward action.

“You must be quite intelligent” sounds rather condescending, like telling a child “Wow, you must be really smart.” It’s not really the kind of thing you’d say in all seriousness to a stranger either. Something like “You must have a really great memory” sounds more natural. Also, they never introduced themselves? Not at all? Even if he didn’t respond, wouldn’t the grandfather have said, “Yo, I’m the Grandfather and these are my grandchildren Radi and Juliana. We’re going to the city, do you need a lift?” Otherwise how does the traveller know they’re heading his way?

“Oh, I’m . . . Lucian.”

You don’t need spaces between the dots in an ellipsis. It should be “...” not “. . . “

The young man seemed to gaze at her in disbelief, smiling as he was able to look into her eyes for the first time.

“Y-You’re the first . . .”

“The first?” she asked.

Lucian’s grin widened as he set the book on the ground between them.

“Grin” doesn’t fit with the mood here. A grin is wide and easy, more casual and jokey than a smile. Lucian is still somewhat nervous, so “smile” would be a better word.

Juliana had to stop him twice to keep pace with his engaging and charming enthusiasm for the story.

Although this is good—not only in narration but with character and emotion too—I don’t like the bolded part as it feels too impersonal. Maybe not impersonal, I’m not sure if that’s the right word, but it feels like the kind of phrase I’d read in a movie review, not hear in someone describing something that happened in real life. Maybe it’s too descriptive? Ack, I don’t know. >_< Maybe add in an action to personalise it and really show his energy, like Juliana had to stop him twice to keep pace with his enthusiasm for the story. His long dark fingers fluttered in the air like the wings of an excited bird and his teeth gleamed white in the gathering twilight.

“Not now dear,” Lylia said. She gently pushed his chest with her free arm; flinching as the man’s cold lips kissed her neck and cheeks.

Should be a comma.

She turned away from the man and entered the dining room.

Again, there’s the distance this phrase brings. You don’t want distance, you want personal.

Torin leaned over her and lightly kissed his daughter on her forehead.

The way this is structured, you introduce Torin like he’s a new person. You have “he” and then the name, as though we need the name to recognise someone new. You could combine these sentences together to make it flow better: Juliana greeted her father as he came to warm his hands before the fire. He smiled, then leaned over and kissed her on the forehead. Tweak it to how you wish, but I think it would flow better combined.

This sounds kind of robotic. “Most recently” especially doesn’t sound natural. Also a note on names here—“Bedwyr” is Welsh, but none of your other names have been Welsh, so I’m not sure what kind of cultural tone this is meant to be in.

The young man gazed into her dark-green eyes.

This is again with the shifting POV. If you were firmly inside Juliana’s head, she wouldn’t be thinking or even fully aware of her eyes and eye colour. Commenting on them jerks us out of Juliana’s POV and out into the ether.

---

Hi!

This chapter was better than the previous ones. :) It had a better pace and the prose flowed much better. There were still parts that need smoothing out—particularly dialogue. A lot of it seemed very robotic and unnatural. Try reading it out—if you can imagine saying it then it’s okay, but if it’s not something you or anyone else would say, then you must change it. There was a lot more emotion happening, which is excellent, but there was still some shift in POV where you didn’t stay firmly focused on and with Juliana and you would comment on things as the narrator. Try and lose the narrator and stay with Juliana. Another thing is referring to characters as “the girl” or “the man”. It works in some styles of writing, but if you have a main character like Juliana, it only distances us from them. When you do something, you don’t think of it in terms like “the man switched on the computer”, you’d think “I switched on the computer”.

Keep writing, and drop another request in my WRFF thread when you need anything else read! :D

-twit

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:20 am
Shady wrote a review...

Hey Dude!

I'll cut straight to the chase...

"I . . . I’ve essentially memorized it."~ I'm not sure 'essentially' is the best word to use here.

I think that the dialogue should be a bit more descriptive. You only put thier conversation (which is good, BTW), not any inflection on thier words, and very little physical description; not any nervous figdeting, or hugging, or climbing trees, or whatever they were doing...

"Juliana recognized the tune immediately and smiled as she sang along in her head."~consider changing 'sang along in her head.'

"hung it on the wall."~ I'm sorry, it might just be me, but hanging a coat on the wall sounds kinda funny. Maybe mention a hook on the wall...

"Dinner is ready for you dear.”"~ Maybe change it to "Your dinner is ready dear" or simply "Dinner is read, dear"

" “I’m glad,” the man answered. “The additional journey has strengthened my appetite. Choose warmer nights to run short on bread in the future.”"~ 'Strengthened my appetite' sounds a bit odd, and you might change 'additional journey'. Either add what his original journey was, or simply say something like "Running to fetch your bread has given me a hearty appetite. In the future you should try to pick warmer nights to run short on bread."

And maybe add his emotions. When I first read it I thought that he was actually angry with her. Maybe 'the man answered playfully' or 'with a mock sterness'.

"twitching as the man’s cold lips kissed her neck and cheeks."~ I think I'd chance 'twitching'. Maybe flinching or jumping or something... I don't know. Twitch just seems too mild.

"Radi wouldn’t bother knocking, Juliana thought. It’s too early for him anyway. Who would visit us after dark? “Let me answer it Father!” she said."~ I'd split this into two paragraphs.

"stew and heated the cauldron."~ I don't think that cauldron is the right word here either...It sort of makes me think of witches and incantations, rather than a simple meal of strew.

"Something unexpected must have happened."~ This seems too controlled, for the thoughts of a teenage girl who's scared for her brother's safety.

Also, you said that it was summer, but it doesn't seem very feasible that it would be SO cold in the summer...Or is a region that is typically extremely cold? Or did aliens come and alter the chemical balance in the world? Or...?

BTW, I've mentioned this before, but I REALLY love your names, both for places and people. Really good story line thus far, and really good job with your flash back. I tend to avoid flash backs, as they're easy to make complicated and boring; leaving your reader confused and uninterested. But you did a great job! It blended smoothly, and was very interesting.

Hope this helped.

~Shadow

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson