The Hit

by Lothbrok

The wretched scent of cigar smoke clung to the blue covered padding of car seats, the heavy musk filling my nostrils and refusing to leave despite the open windows. Save for the padding the interior of the car was black, better camouflage for the dark stains – of which there were many. Whisky by the smell, I think, hardly surprising given the owner's line of business. The grey streets of New York City drifted by, indistinguishable at the speed we travelled. I had never been in a car before and honestly found the experience quite novel, if rather uncomfortable. It bumped every few yards and made a booming racket second only to the train. We pass yet another news stand, the words "World Series Fixed!" and “Black Sox Scandal” across every headline.

"I hope they string up whoever did it." Spits Eli, Mr Rothmeyer's driver, with such vehement hate that makes me wonder how big a bet he had placed. Eli's putrid breath was worse than the cigars and whisky combined, but then what was I expecting from a man who drank and smoked constantly and a held a demanding job that left little time for washing, if the wretch ever felt so inclined. Eli pulled a cigarette from his mouth and flicked it out the window, a tobacco scented belch soon following. “Though if I find him first, I'll feed the idiot his own fingers.” Eli flashes me a smile through the rear view mirror, his brown rotten teeth making it the sight of nightmares. Eli was a man of principles, warped ones but principles none the less. Assault, bribery and murder were fine as long as he got paid in the end but messing with baseball was the cardinal sin, a crime beyond any kind of penance. I could not care less about baseball, it was a fascination of the Yanks that never caught my interest.

“So, sonny,” Eli glances back at me again as he pulls another cigarette from his pocket and lit it up, controlling the wheel with his knees. “what's your pop make of all this?”

“He's no’ too happy about it.” I answer unhelpfully, trying not to meet Eli's cold, dead, emotionless eyes. Talking to Eli about my family was hardly my favourite topic of conversation, though it was probably nothing important, the man just wanted to make conversation instead of sitting in silence. I could have expanded on my father's feelings with ease. I still remembered with clarity the look of disapproval on his face when I told him I found a job at a brewery. At first he gave me the talk about how the police would come down hard on us as immigrants if I was caught, then it grew to small comments each time we met, by now it was only silence between us. Screw the old man, I know what he was back home – always coming back late into the night, sporting fresh bruises or cuts every couple weeks or so, taking his razor with him each time he left. I remember all the 'uncles' who came over when I was a boy. Uncle Jamie sticks at the forefront of them all, a tall gaunt man with eyes similar to Eli's and with a grin that stretched from ear to ear. The grin was a memento from a pub fight a year before I first met him, when two boys from south of Gorbals had pinned him down and taken a razor to his cheeks.

I used to envy dad and the uncles when I was a boy. I had wanted what dad possessed before the war, respect and friends loyal to last. But that respect had vanished along with the friends. Most of the uncles, Jamie included, had died in the trenches of Belgium and France, fighting the Hun for King and country as dad would bellow proudly whenever he came back from one of Rothmeyer's bars, reeking like Eli. Now I want what Mr. Rothmeyer has- the money, the fear, the respect that could not be taken, one that would last as long as people still remembered his name. Most of all I want the Rolls Royce parked in front of Mr. Rothmeyer's house, a car of such beauty and elegance that it was unfitting for a wretch like Eli to drive it. But Eli was a crack shot and a devil with his knives and in Mr. Rothmeyer's line of business protection was more important than hygiene.

"We're nearly there." Eli mutters, screwing up his eyes at a policeman as he pulled into a space by the side of road. We sat in silence for close to five minutes, waiting for the blue coated brute to wander off, as Eli tapped a unrecognisable tune onto the wheel. Once the officer, who no doubt was a big a crook as Eli, was safely out of sight the rotten toothed driver turned in his seat to face me, an odd gleam in his eye.

“You know what you need to do?” He asks, reaching into his jacket on the seat next to him. I nod, tapping my foot nervously as I do. “Mickey should be wearing green coat and he looks a bit like a rat.” Eli's pulled something wrapped in a napkin from his jacket. I stared at the outline of the object when Eli offered it to me, it was a pistol, the same kind Eli and the rest of Mr. Rothmeyer's muscle had tucked into their belts. Small, easily hidden, discreet and powerful – the perfect weapon. I unwrapped the pistol and circled my fingers around the handle - snug, fitting, as if it was made for me. I liked the feel of it, the look of it, everything about it. This was a step forwards, a means to becoming like Mr. Rothmeyer. With this I could become feared, respected and rich.

“What'd he do?” I ask, stroking the short barrel with my thumb and checking the bullets.

“What does it matter?” Eli shrugs. “Mr. Rothmeyer wants him dead, so he's dead, he's just not realised it yet.” I stare at Eli, meeting his dead eyes and refusing to blink. Finally he relents. “Mickey has a tendency to cut up the girls at the club after he's paid.” He says, finally a grin creeps up onto his face. “He thinks that no one will come after him because of who his pop is, but we're going to show him the error in that line of thinking.” I smile back, as horrible as it was Mr. Rothmeyer's driver had an infectious grin. Eli pats me on the shoulder.

“Remember, aim for the chest.” I nod and tuck the gun into my belt like I had seen Eli do before. I climb from the car, my legs carrying me almost in a trance past the queues for the food and news stands. I spot Mickey sitting on a bench at the end of the plaza, past a boy selling news papers and a man handing out pamphlets, decrying the evils of communism. He looks as Eli had described – a thick green coat and a particularly rat like face. I feel my hand gripping the pistol, remembering what Mr. Rothmeyer had asked me when Eli had brought me into his house.

“Are you ready?” The thin lipped Kingpin had asked. “To take life and possibly give your own for my organisation?”

“Yes.” I had answered and gladly at that. In one smooth movement I pull the pistol from my belt and level it at Mickey. Someone to my left shouts and Mickey looks up, words forming on his lips as I pull the trigger. A deafening crack rings out and Mickey jumps in his seat, his hands shooting towards his side. He stares at me, confusion in his eyes, my hands begin to shake now – through adrenaline or fear or guilt, I do not know which. Mickey looks as if to speak but no words come out, only a horrible gasping noise, somehow audible above the screams of those nearby. My hand shakes wildly as I pull the trigger for the second time. A small hole, no larger than a small coin appears below his left eye, the gasping his gone. Mickey slides and hits the ground with a thud.

“Boss!” A voice shouts over the din. It belongs to a thickset, brutish looking man shouldering his way through the crowd. I turn and try and run back to Eli, pushing people aside as they gasped over the body. Something hits me in the back, stronger than the hardest punch I'd ever felt. The force of it knocks me forwards, pushing me to one knee. A crack, similar to the one made by pistol echoes out. I try to stand until another crack breaks through the screams. The ground rises to meet me, my legs go numb and my strength vanishes. I tell my hands to push at the ground but they do not obey as the stomping of thick boots make their way towards me. I try to shout for help but no words come, only a simple pain filled cry reaches my lips. I don't want it any more, I don't want to end up like uncle Jamie – scarred and cold. I don't want to end up like Mickey, the horrible wheezing followed by only silence. I'm not ready.

Hi! Sorry its taken me forever to get to this, I've had a few unexpected interruptions. But hopefully the review will be worth the wait :)

1.

The wretched scent of cigar smoke clung to the blue covered padding of car seats, the heavy musk filling my nostrils and refusing to leave despite the open windows.
Alright, I'm going to pick on your first sentence here, not because it's terrible, but because it's the first and it has to be perfect. The first sentence of a book is what those sneaky book buyers take a glance at when they're browsing shelves.

The trouble with this is it's repetetive and clumpy. It also doesn't give us much of a feel for the story or anything to draw us in. It's a cheap trick perhaps, but a first sentence should pack a punch and give the reader something to look forward to.

Even with that aside though, let's try to strip this down a bit, shall we? How about:

The wretched scent of cigar smoke clung to the blue, padded car seats and stayed.

Then go on to describe it more after that, but try not to repeat it in terms of smell. Maybe instead compare it to a stain?

2.
We passed yet another news stand, the words "World Series Fixed!" and “Black Sox Scandal” across every headline.
Careful with those tenses!

3.
"I hope they string up whoever did it." Spits Eli, Mr Rothmeyer's driver, with such vehement hate that makes me wonder how big a bet he had he's placed.
That'll make it sound a little more natural. It may seem I'm contradicting myself now, but the way people speak, we don't always use our tenses correctly in the strictest sense so write what sounds natural.

4.
Eli's putrid breath was worse than the cigars and whisky combined, but then what was I expecting from a man who drank and smoked constantly and a held a demanding job that left little time for washing, if the wretch ever felt so inclined.
Alright so I thought this would be a good place to talk about detail. You describe him as drinking and smoking constantly, but it woud be more powerful to use a simile or metaphor. Maybe 'who drank and smoked enough to keep a chain of tobacco stores in buisness'. It's a really quick example, but the trouble with words like 'constantly' is that they're too vague and over-used. When you give us an image of the drinking and smoking - 'drank and smoked so much his mouth was never empty of bottle or cigar and sometimes contained both at once' - it's far more powerful.

5.
Eli flasheds me a smile through the rear view mirror, his brown rotten teeth making it the sight of nightmares.

6.
“So, sonny,” Eli glancesd back at me again as he pullsed another cigarette from his pocket and lit it up, controlling the wheel with his knees. “what's your pop make of all this?”

7. I'm confused about the whole king and country stuff. This is set in America so the fighting for king doesn't make sense, it should be president and country, surely? Which maybe doesn't sound as cool but it would keep your poor readers from being confused ;)

8.
Most of all I wanted the Rolls Royce parked in front of Mr. Rothmeyer's house, a car of such beauty and elegance that it was unfitting for a wretch like Eli to drive it.

9.
"We're nearly there." Eli muttersed, screwing up his eyes at a policeman as he pulled into a space by the side of road.

10.
“You know what you need to do?” He asksed, reaching into his jacket on the seat next to him. I nodded, tapping my foot nervously as I do did.

11. Alright so you really need to decide which tense you want this in as there's a whole paragraph in present here and there's no point me pointing it out all the time. Decide! I think present might work best since you end with the guy's death, but either way, choose one and stick to it throughout.

12. How does he feel about this gun? Does his hand sweat as he approaches the target, does his heart increase its pace? Does the world suddenly become so much clearer, the sounds so loud and cutting through the air? I want to feel like this is a big event, like his first kill actually means something. Either that, or if it does feel ordinary and anticlimatic to him, it would be good to see you emphasise that.

13. Good, dramatic end. You've a nice sense of action and detail here which I'd have liked to see more of earlier in the piece.

Okay so I liked the ending of this but the beginning seemed to lack in description and I wasn't really feeling the narrator's character. I wanted to know more about his reasons for signing up, more about how he wants nice things. Maybe you could have included a better glimpse of his childhood and day to day life? It's just difficult to understand why he decides on this job when there are so many other ways to make money and I want to know if it's because he's been refused work elsewhere or if this was his first choice, something he actually rather liked the idea of doing.

I think you could do with making this piece longer because I didn't feel enough for the main character before you killed him off. I'd like to see a few more sides to him, rather than just him as the killer and I'd like to see a more complete plot. What is the aim behind this piece? To show us that even killers are human or that even good men can end up being killers? I don't really know if the narrator is meant to be a villain, an anti hero or an ordinary schmuck who's down on his luck.

Generally speaking, your writing's good and it has an easy to follow flow. The dialogue's well put together and you keep the reader's attention, but it doesn't feel complete. It feels like the ending to a novel or a section of a short story. There doesn't seem to be enough plot or characterisation to support the emotional response you're aiming for.

Let me know if you want me to expand on anything and if you make any changes, feel free to ask me to take another look,

Heather xxx

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm
Twit wrote a review...

Hi Lothbrok!

Whisky by the smell, I think, hardly surprising given the owner's line of business.

“Think” is present tense, when the rest is in past.

It bumped every few yards and made a booming racket second only to the train. We pass yet another news stand, the words "World Series Fixed!" and “Black Sox Scandal” across every headline.

Again here is the tense switch between past and present.

"I hope they string up whoever did it." Spits Eli, Mr Rothmeyer's driver, with such vehement hate that makes me wonder how big a bet he had placed.

To end a dialogue where you have a tag (“he said”, etc.) you have a comma and begin the narrative again with a small letter. This should go ”I hope they string up whoever did it,” spits Eli...

The second part doesn’t fit. It should be with such vehement hate that I wonder how big a bet he had placed[b] or [b]with a vehement hate that makes me wonder how big a bet he had placed.

I could not care less about baseball, it was a fascination of the Yanks that never caught my interest.

Should be a semi-colon.

“He's no’ too happy about it.” I answer unhelpfully, trying not to meet Eli's cold, dead, emotionless eyes.

Not liking the excess of adjectives here. Aside from overkill, it doesn’t fit with the image I’ve built up of Eli from the previous description. He seemed quite worked up about baseball, and he was smiling, so there’s emotion right there, and he’s making small talk. He seems quite friendly, actually.

Most of the uncles, Jamie included, had died in the trenches of Belgium and France, fighting the Hun for King and country as dad would bellow proudly whenever he came back from one of Rothmeyer's bars, reeking like Eli.

This talk of trenches and King and Country makes me think this is England, and the mention of the razor-smile makes me think of Chelsea or Glasgow gangs, but you’ve mentioned baseball and immigrants and “pop”, which makes me think of America. So I’m not sure where this is set or what nationality the characters are.

--
Hi!

This was pretty good! The prose flowed very well, and apart from the few instances I mentioned, it was very easy to read. The main thing is the tense switching. Keep to past or present, but don’t shop and switch between the two otherwise it gets disorientating.

I guess there’s only one other main point—the setting. You’ve got very little description setting the scene, which adds to my confusion about when and where this is set. I’m thinking it’s America in the thirties, but that’s only a guess. Your character was thinking about being immigrants and his uncles, which makes it seem like he’s lived in America all his life, but his father said about the trenches and King and country, which makes me think England. So—confusion. If you could clarify the setting and add in some more description, like real sensory detail to really paint the scene, then I think this would be greatly improved. ^_^

I guess one final thing would be that I’m not entirely sure what this is. Is it a standalone piece? It reads more like the end of something, what with the character getting shot and all, but if that’s the case then I’d like more an idea of what’s gone before. I’d like to get to know the character better so I feel properly sad when he snuffs it. You could get this by spending more time with them, lingering on their life and death so we really feel their pain.

PM or Wall me if you have any questions! :D

-twit

Twit says...

Ok I went back and you do say that it's New York City, which clarifies stuff more. I'm stupid and clueless, sorry. >_< But I am wondering why the M/C has never been in a car before?

Lothbrok says...

Hi, thanks for the review. The character and his family are Scottish (Gorbals is a slum in Glasgow) but then emigrated to America after the war, sorry if it didn't come across in the text.

FakeCrow wrote a review...

Awesome job! This was a good story with an interesting look at a hit-man's work

I didn't notice any grammatical errors, the only thing is I think you spelled organization wrong, or maybe i'm mistaken.

Anyways, fabulous job!

The ending was good, but it almost seems like the beginning to an action filled book, and perhaps you could add onto this and turn it into an awesome novel!

This was an interesting read, keep up the good work!

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato