z

Young Writers Society



Mission: What a pain

by babymagic18


Why was I the one to get stuck with the newbie? I did nothing to deserve such a pain. Tying my thick auburn hair into a high ponytail I let out a sigh. Tossing my necessary equipment (weapons) into my bag I slung it over my shoulder. There were three raps on my door before Jules popped his scruffy raven head in.

What's taking you? The newbie is waiting.

His voice was teasing, making the urge to sock him near impossible to hold back. Biting my tounge I swung the door open, making him retreat into the tiled hallway.

"You're really cute, you know that?" I asked sarcastically.

He shrugged as I slammed my door shut.

Let's go.

"Serene, nice of you to finally emerge," Tereasa said.

I kept quite as I scrutinized my new "parter" as I was forced to refer to her as. Vicky stood a bit shorter than me, darker complextion, light green eyes and dark hair. I couldn't stand her already.

"Can we go now?" I asked.

Jules elbowed me. I glared up at him.

"I'd like to go over the plan just once more Serene," Tereasa said.

Rolling my eyes I shifted to my left foot. Fine by me even if I had memorized the plan in my sleep.

It went relatively quick, Vicky only asking me a few questions. We followed Jules to the Jeep waiting outside. The Oregan sun was warm on my back. Tossing our bags in the back we climbed in. After being on the road awhile Jules spoke.

"This probably wasn't the best idea".

"I know, you could have taken the shortcut," I replied.

"That's not what I meant and you know it," he retorted. She didn't complete all the necessary training and they decided to ship her out with you on a Grade B mission.

I turned my head to the back where Vicky pretended to not hear us. Are eyes connected for a sparse second before hers darted away.

She should consider herself lucky she does have me then.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 5400
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:59 pm
HorriBliss wrote a review...



"Tying my thick auburn hair into a high ponytail I let out a sigh. Tossing my necessary equipment (weapons) into my bag I slung it over my shoulder." - I really hated these sentences as they dragged down the action and reduced the flow. To me it just screamed: 'typical teenage soppy girl' narrator, which is really disappointing because I'm a sucker for stories like this! But don't worry, the rest of the story made up for it, so it wasn't all too bad!

"What's taking you? The newbie is waiting." - I don't know why, but you haven't added speech marks for Jules. This happens the first two times he speaks, I was trying to figure out if there was some artistic reason, but all I've got is that you probably forgot?

"Biting my tounge" - just a grammar error here: "tounge" should be "tongue"

"I kept quite as I scrutinized my new "parter"" - "parter" should be "partner", just a small point, nothing too much to worry about.

"Vicky stood a bit shorter than me, darker complextion, light green eyes and dark hair." - again, grammar point, "complextion" should be "complexion".

"Are eyes connected for a sparse second before hers darted away." - again, a grammar error with "Are" supposed to be "Our".

Again, most of the things I can point out are simple grammar errors, so you shouldn't worry about them too much! I think that this piece should be a lot more descriptive, but I accept that it is probably a rough draft, if not, definately develop and expand it!
I'm not sure if you've read them before but C.H.E.R.U.B. by Robert Muchamore is very much in the territory that I think you're aiming for, so you can look there for inspiration if you want to, but if not, best of luck anyway, and there's a lot of potential here anyway! All the best!




User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 3696
Reviews: 58

Donate
Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:08 pm
Ktg17 wrote a review...



Hello there!

This is a nice piece. It was intriguing and exciting, and I'm sure if you expand this into more it will be wonderful. I really like the tone of this story/the main character's personality. She seems snippy and smart but also soft....it reminds me of Katniss from the Hunger Games! I would love to read more about her.

One thing I would recommend is to read over this. There are just a few minor errors that I saw. I'm not one to nitpick so I won't go into detail. Sometimes I have found as a fellow writer that if I read a piece out loud to myself I will find mistakes I have made and it thoroughly helps.

One other thing is your use of commas. There were quite a few mistakes, and it would be long and difficult to discuss them here. However, I found this website that goes into quite a bit of detail and may help you if you have any other questions. It is: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm.

I would also recommend explaining a few things. Your story is mysterious, and I like that. However, there is a fine line between being mysterious and confusing. A few parts of this were verging on the confusing end, but can easily be corrected with just a hint of explanation. Not much, but a little bit. For example, I don't quite understand what it is they are doing, their appearances, or the setting (time period AND location) of the story. Once you narrow this in a bit it will be great, though. :D

Overall, I thought it was a nice piece. Please let me know if you write more, I would love to read it! If you have any questions on what I have said or would like some help, please let me know through either PM or just comment on here, as I would be happy to help!

Keep writing!
~Ktg





"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."
— Fredrich Nietzche (Philosopher)