Epic: The Brothers (part one).

by callmeike

Epic: The Brothers

Crowds cheered and roared at the arrival of their King. He was carried by four men on each side of a beautifully decorated sedan chair, Azeal was on his right while Cain, was nowhere to be seen. Ever since he was of age, Cain left his fathers kingdom and has not returned since. Although the two brothers had a less than ideal relationship with each other, Azeal cared and worried for him. He pushed back the memory of his younger brother leaving and held his head high continuing with the parade. He wore a subtle suit of leather armor with a white tunic underneath, his sword was to his left along with a belt holding two daggers on each side. The mask of a smile that he wore to please others was slowly fading as the thought of his brother returned.

“Azeal,” Michael said snapping him out of his train of thought, “Does something trouble you?”

“No my friend, I was just pondering about the past.”

“Ah, well be merry! This is the fourth year in a row that harvest has been in abundance.”

“Yes I know.” He said patting his friend on the back and returning to the celebration.

There were dancers and jesters entertaining people all around the kingdom, yet Azeal still found himself in a gloomy haze. He went inside his chambers escaping through the crowd unseen and let his mind run wild of all the possibilities Cain could be, if he was okay, if he was even still alive. Just then John, a higher guard and close friend of Azeal, knocked on the door.

“Sir?” He said.

“Yes, come in.”

His face was distraught.

“There has been sighting of Cain.” Azeal immediately stood on his feet, his heart was racing at the sound of his brothers name.

“Where? Who told you this?” He had his arms on the guards shoulders, nearly shaking the answers out of him.

“A farmer, near the south-east gate of the castle.” Without words he quickly dashed out the door and unhitched his steed. He bolted through the southern part of the kingdom with heavy hooves pounding the packed earth beneath him until he reached the large twin gates with a set of guards standing on both sides.

“Open the gates.” They did as told. The sound of horses came from behind him. It was Michael and John.

“Going on one of your glorious expeditions without us?” Michael toyed with Azeal.

“You don’t need to come. I can handle finding him myself.”

“Remember when we fought that ogre?” John said

“Yes.”

“Well if I had not been there, you would be dead. You don’t know if anyone has Cain, but as far as i see it right now, this is a rescue mission.” Azeal knew he was right but reluctantly let them accompany him.

Inside the kingdom, in the center of the great castle King James sat alone on a great throne with two high guards standing on both sides of him.

“They are what!” The King slammed his scepter on the ground creating a loud thud.

“Azeal is going to try and bring Cain back to the kingdom, my lord.” A guard who had overheard John was kneeling before his King

“Seal off all of the exits, let no one come in or out. Track them down and stop them from retrieving Cain! We can not have him tainting my kingdom yet again.”

The meadows they trampled through had a brilliant emerald green color with tall grass almost touching their horses underbelly. Off to the horizon was a small farm with livestock that was grazing hay and trotting along the wooden gate. As they approached the enclosure they hitched their horses on a post near the cattle. A little boy, about seven years of age came out through the door.

“Father!” He called back into the house. A older man, much older than Azeal and John walked out along with his daughter and wife.

“We have word that you have seen my Cain, son of King James and brother of I.” Azeal said.

“Yes I have seen him. He was running towards the forest of Noran.”

“Do you know what for?” John asked.

“No, but he looked- he looked different. I did not know him personally but i saw him when you and your father attended the parades.”

“What do you mean he looks different? Did he look injured?” Azeal was starting to become anxious which showed in his eyes as he stepped closer to the old farmer.

“No, he looks well. It was something about his presence. He came near my farm and my animals, they became frightened. He touched my fence and the wood rotted.” He gestured to a spot of blackened fence. It looked charred, as John touched it it stained his middle and index finger.

They all exchanged looks of wonder and an intense desire to know what has become of Cain.

“Thank you very much. We will be on our way now.” Azeal gave a nod and hoisted himself onto his steed. Millions of assumptions went flying through his head as the three went off, riding through the meadows towards Noran.

“Why would he go there? It is a wasteland.” Michael said.

“I do not know, not even the Orcs go there.” John said looking at the sun silhouetting the mountains and the mighty kingdom walls. “It’s getting dark, we should go back to the farmer and take rest there.”

“No. We will continue through the night, I know of a tavern once we get near the forest.” Azeal said. “We need to find Cain while his track is still traceable.” They followed orders and rode through the night.

Five mercenaries presented themselves to King James. They consisted of two paladins two archers and a knight. The King was impressed by them. They stood tall and had a powerful build on them, even the archers looked robust.

“You men are here for one reason and one reason only.” The King looked down almost as if he were ashamed to speak the next few words to come out of his mouth, “You must track and kill three rouge guards that are trying to bring a fugitive into my kingdom.”

DragonGirl11 wrote a review...

Hey callmeike! DragonGirl11 here with the requested review. Better late than never, right? Anyway, this was a great story. I’m hooked! You could, however, use some more description of places, like Esther said.
Ok, from here on out something in green is a grammatical error that absolutely needs fixing. Something in blue is something I think would make the story better, but isn’t technically necessary.

Crowds cheered and roared at the arrival of their King. He was carried by four men on each side of a beautifully decorated sedan chair. Azeal was on King James’ right while Cain, was nowhere to be seen. When he was of age, Cain left his fathers kingdom and had not returned since. Although the two brothers had a less than ideal relationship with each other, Azeal cared and worried for Cain. He pushed back the memory of his younger brother leaving and held his head high, continuing with the parade. He wore a subtle suit of leather armor with a white tunic underneath. His sword was to his left, along with a belt holding two daggers on each side. The mask of a smile that he wore to please others was slowly fading as the thought of his brother returned.
Along with some grammatical errors, this needed a bit of clarification. I was rather confused the first time I read it through as to whether Azeal was the king or what.
“Azeal,” Michael said, snapping him out of his train of thought, “Does something trouble you?” … “Yes I know,he said, patting his friend on the back and returning to the celebration. … He went inside his chambers, escaping through the crowd unseen ……let his mind run wild with all the possibilities Cain could be … “Sir?” he said.
“Yes, come in.” Get rid of this line break, please.
His face was distraught. … He had his arms on the guards shoulders, … Azeal knew he was right, and reluctantly let them accompany him.
Ok, more grammar here. Try using more commas, like I suggested, to give your readers a pause, otherwise it gets kind of run-on. Also, make sure that when using speech tags, (e.g. “said”, “whispered”, “called’, etc.) always use a comma instead of a period, and the next word shouldn’t be capitalized. Finally, ALWAYS use an apostrophe when showing possession (e.g. father’s kingdom, guard’s shoulders). I’ll stop correcting this type now to save space, but I’d like for you to look for them yourself.
“Track them down and stop them from retrieving Cain! We can not have him tainting my kingdom yet again.”
Ooooh, the King doesn’t want his son back? The plot thickens! :D
“…son of King James and brother of I.”
That rattled me. I’d suggest changing “brother of I” to “my brother” or getting rid of it altogether.
-The scene with the farmer seemed really rushed.
They consisted of two paladins, two archers, and a knight. The King was impressed by them. They impressed the King.
First, use commas in lists. Second, “The King was impressed by them” is in the passive voice. I don’t know much about passive voice, but it’s bad.
The King looked down almost as if he were ashamed to speak the next few words to come out of his mouth, “You must track and kill three rouge guards that are trying to bring a fugitive into my kingdom.”
Oh boy! It made me shiver with excitement. :D

Well, you did a good job interesting me, that’s for sure. By the first few sentences I didn’t think I’d be that interested (that’s why it took so long for me to get to the review), but I will be right back with Review #2 ! Write on, and God bless!
~DragonGirl11

Esther Sylvester wrote a review...

Hi callmeike! I am Esther. This is the first time I've visited this site in a few months, and your story caught my attention. I like your concept, and your writing style. This isn't perfect, but I think it could be great with a bit of tweaking.

At the beginning of your story, I didn't know what the setting was. I knew that people were celebrating the arrival of their king, but where were they celebrating? For some reason, I thought it would be outside. (a novel of mine has a similar intro where the case is such) Now I realize it must have been
in a throne room. You should always have a bit of description of where your characters are. It doesn't have to be massive, but right now it's characters speaking in front of a blank canvas, and it hurts the finished feel of your story. You have great descriptions of character nuances (like facial expressions and actions) so I can tell that you are a character kind of writer. I sometimes get carried away in character focus and forget to paint details. You, just like me, need to work on painting your world and character descriptions a little better. Try to use creative (but not overly-ornate) language when describing things to paint a better picture. You use common words like "beautiful" and "great". They get the job done, but these terms are pretty general. Why are things beautiful? Why are they great? See if you can go into more detail if you use general words like these, since they can hinder you more than help you.

Next, your pacing is really, really fast. It goes from next scene to the next, and it jostles the reader around a bit. Either you have a lot of plot planned, or this is going to be a very short book because you are going through events so quickly. It's a hard thing to ask, but I think you should even the pace out a bit. I've enjoyed everything I've read of this, but it jumps around so much and the individual scenes are so short that it has a staccato feel. A good way to even out pace is through descriptions and conversation. However, I don't want you just placing extra stuff willy-nilly just to make this longer. In the end, go with your gut. It's your best tool.

I think your grammar is pretty good. Go through and check your dialogue. Sometimes you don't punctuate that correctly. Sometimes you don't capitalize your "I"s -- an easy thing to fix. I think you have a really good grasp of grammar.

Finally, I'd like to talk about your dialogue. I like it a lot. I see that you are trying to capture the medieval speech pattern. This is one of the hardest speech patterns to tackle, and you do a pretty good job, but some of the dialogue is stiff. The best way to correct his is to read your dialogue aloud. If something said aloud doesn't seem natural, get rid of it. And . . . don't try to hard. If you find yourself adding a lot of archaic language because you are afraid the language won't sound authentic otherwise, you should know that readers actually don't notice that a whole lot. Readers prefer natural-sounding dialogue over overly-flowery language any day. So long as your prince doesn't start busting out the slang, you'll be okay.

Overall, this was great! I loved it! I haven't seen you around these parts, so welcome to YWS! I hope you continue to work on this story and work hard.

Regards,

Esther

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia