Amidst the dark, amongst the light

by Meta-Messiah

(This is some kind of continuation of my earlier thing, the change in style is deliberate but I don’t have the time to explain the concept in depth, see this as a parallel section, which explains the first bit a little, any input would really be valued)

Amidst the dark, amongst the light

Darkness, but realisation of darkness. His eyes slid open and the night ended, light caught his face, harshly at first even though it barely filtered through the white curtain. His eyes focused and from the mist she emerged. The weak light shone on her and in reflecting from her pale skin it seemed to grow brighter and infinitely softer. Her dark hair lay as shadows across her face and through the bed sheets the faintest hints of curves could be seen. Sleep still cradled her in its arms and her face was so relaxed and calm he could almost imagine that she was yet to be born to this world. One beautiful porcelain hand lay open, free of the sheets; he slid his hand up until his fingers lay across hers. She stirred slightly and her hand closed, upon meeting the unexpected resistance of his fingers the soft fingertips probed every line of his hand until, as if they stumbled across some subtle sign which without a doubt proved the identity of the hand, her fingers closed gently around his and she released a sigh so gentle it was nearly lost among the unnoticeable breezes of the room. Her blue eyes opened, and in that moment before she saw him he saw her true beauty and innocence. She focused on him and slowly a smile grew on her lips, which then parted to utter

“Good morning my love” He smiled back. Gentle silhouettes played on the curtain, as the wind played with her hair. He rolled onto his back and let his eyes close once more, no soon had the snow soft light ceased to fall through his eyes than he felt the gentle weight and warmth of her leg resting on his and her head on his shoulder.

“Lets lie here forever,” murmured a gentle whisper and sleeps gentle hands closed his eyes.

Vision returned to him, but he saw no ethereal light, darkness and the moons etchings was all he could discern. La Luna’s rays painted blooded shadows over those skeletal sheets. His mind still buzzed with the memory of the dream, and her. The bed once so full of life was now desolate and barren, a savage wind played with the tattered curtains which cast fleeting and furtive shades across the room. With the destruction of the dream within his mind he suddenly felt the sheets enclosing him, groping mindlessly at his frame. He threw of the sheets and with the determination of a dying man rose from that grim altar.

Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:58 am

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: So this story was a bit of a overly stretched one. It just felt like the description went on and on without any signs of stopping and it just didn't really convey the shock of the actual story very well. The whole thing was very much diluted. That being said they were some great descriptions with some really good language being used.

Well that's quite the opening paragraph you have there. Sort of generic and I personally that's just much too poetic. There is a time and a place to be including flowery language to your stories but this one just takes it to the complete extreme and that isn't always a good thing. Also this is a really big paragraph. I think the whole thing would make a lot more sense as a couple of smaller paragraphs.

Yaa this is one is just getting seriously over described with the flowery stuff.

And we have our twist. Well that certainly does present a nice contrast and show some pretty saddening imagery but again its just so much description and that just makes this a little over saturated with the stuff. It sort of ruins the shock value of the twist too because you just drag that reveal on for a very long time. Making this one shorter would just drive this plot point home a lot better.

Aaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: So overall I felt like this story was lacking in its ability to drive home the plot of it. It was too diluted and its lost its ability to surprise anyone. But the flow was great. The depiction of the emotions was also pretty nice. And overall it was a pretty great story if you look at strictly through the language.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:11 am
Meta-Messiah says...

The story is basically two halfs to the same, well story i guess, the main character sleeps during the day and when he does he dreams of "her" and recalls his memories with her, only for him to wake up everynight to be tormented by the present in which she has left him and his perceptions of the memories, which are light and good in his dreams, are tainted by his knowledge of the end result. The other post is the same story but there is no sequence yet and i am having real difficulties tieing the whole shebang together, any advice would be more than welcome but i get the impression i just need to sit down and focus on this for a solid weekend.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:55 pm
Nis says...

I liked this and would like to read more if you continue. I noticed you have another version with the same name, is it meant to be the same story?

Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:26 pm
Meta-Messiah says...

Cheers for the advice, grammar isn't my strongest point, partially due to me doing english lit without english language so there is no real focus on how you write, more on what you write about. Thank you very much for the good review, now just to turn this into a true story rather than little bits of one.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:09 am
Brian wrote a review...

Your definitely good at descriptions, and I liked the general tone of the story. Some of your grammar could use help though. The first three sentences provide a good example:
"Darkness, but realisation of darkness. His eyes slid open and the night ended, light caught his face, harshly at first even though it barely filtered through the white curtain. His eyes focused and from the mist she emerged."
Be careful about using commas; you used them wrong every time.

The first comma is excusable since it's for literary purposes. The second one, though, is a comma splice; you're using a comma where there should be a period. Replacing it with either a period of a semi-colon would do the trick. The third is unneccesary. You'd only have a comma there if you were introducing a participal phrase. As "harshly" is an adverb, and thus describing how the light hit his face, you don't need one. But, you do need one before "even though" as it represents a shift in the sentence. You also need a comma in front of the "and" in the third sentence since the two clauses can both stand by themselves.

However, I really liked this. It provides a good snapshot of a ten second moment and is engrossing. Your word choice fits perfectly with the tone, and your descriptions are really vivid. To say that all another way, your writing style is very, very good.

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet