Snow to Spring

by MooPalz

Snow fell in tiny silver sparkles like stars shooting down from the heavens. You stood right in the middle of it all, bare arms outstretched, mouth open in a wide laugh as you twirled around and around. You suddenly spotted me and smiled, reaching out towards me and taking my hand in yours. Despite being covered with the chill your hands are warm to the touch. I think I remember that more than anything. You had such wonderful hands.They were so strange though. In summer they were cool and in winter they would be warm. Either way, they were refreshing throughout the entire year and I loved to hold them.

“Say, when the snow melts what does it become?”

Your question confused me and I shot you a questioning glance. “It becomes water of course.” You merely laugh at my answer and shake your head, your vibrant brown curls bouncing with life, speckled with tiny flakes of white. “Nope,” you say with a knowing glance. “It becomes spring!”

For a long time we just stood there, admiring the beauty of the winter morning. Neither of us said very much, but that was alright. We didn’t expect any further conversation. Sometimes saying less means far more to a person than saying more.

It is a memory I both despise and adore. I treasure it so much, but other times I can't stand to think about it. When it gets too much, if I close my eyes and block out the rest of the world, I can pretend I’m back there - watching the snow with you at my side. It works too, even if it is just for a little while, and I can forget my sadness. Then the pain comes back in a rush and a roar and it hurts so much I feel like I can't breathe. I'm looking at the garden right now.. I watch the snow and feel a sense of sadness. Why didn't you tell me you were ill? You should have said something. Anything. That day was the last we had.

I told you to put on a coat but you didn't listen. You just giggled and batted my hands away when I tried to get you to wear mine. You said you wanted to feel the snow on your skin. I should have persisted. perhaps if I had you wouldn't have caught that fever. You were ill already – your immune system had been shattered to pieces. I thought at first it was just a bad flu, but then there was the infection and the complications...

The snow is stopping now. Can you see it? Probably not but I like to pretend you can. I see you standing there smiling with your arms outstretched. You hold your hand out to me and I reach out to take it. I was almost there – almost close enough to touch you – but you shook your head and I realized for the first time your smile is a sad one. I drop to my knees, the tears finally coming as the last flake hits the ground and you vanish.

You were my winter. Now you have melted and become an eternal spring.

Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:19 pm

Well we've got what appears to be some fairly cute banter there between these tow starts things off. It seems we've got ourselves a nice little relaxed scene and two friends who clearly seem to know each other and know each other quite well are just basking in it and enjoying being themselves. Its a lovely little note to start on. I do wonder where this is headed though. Its one of those situations where the opening is slightly too good to be true.

I really hate it when predictions like that come true, ahhh of course its about someone who seems to clearly have passed away at this point due to some form of terminal illness that appears to have been kept secret there. Well, it definitely makes things rather interesting here, painting that whole scene from earlier in a slightly different more somber light.

Ahh that really does make for quite a powerful ending here. You've really gone and captured this quite powerfully. I think you really lean in quite nicely to the pain that's happened and of course that sense of guilt and what could've been. I think this is a quite nicely done little portrait of this horrifying incident painted through the lens of this one last beautiful night. Overall a very powerful piece this one, tapping in quite strongly to the emotions at play here.

MooPalz says...

Merlin34 wrote:Whoa... that was a really touching story. I don't think I've ever read anything that can really bring me to tears. Brava, brava, bravissima. (I'm assuming you're a girl... D: ) However, I did notice a couple errors.

Despite being uncovered in the chill your hands are warm to the touch.
1. Uncovered should be covered.

the vibrant brown curls bouncing with life
1. “the” should be “your”

Neither of us said very much, but that was alright. we didn’t expect any other exchanges of words.
1. “we” needs to be a capital letter.
2. “any other exchanges of words” is sort of clumsy. I think that, “much conversation” would be better.

Other than those, you've got a great story.

Thank you very much for the corrections. I've quickly changed them. My grammar could use some improving... I'll be sure to read future work through to make sure it is grammatically correct. I'm glad you like my story and reviewed it! It means a lot to a 14 year old =D

Merlin34 wrote a review...

Whoa... that was a really touching story. I don't think I've ever read anything that can really bring me to tears. Brava, brava, bravissima. (I'm assuming you're a girl... D: ) However, I did notice a couple errors.

1. Uncovered should be covered.

1. “the” should be “your”

1. “we” needs to be a capital letter.

MooPalz says...

This is my first short story. It was based on a line from the anime show/manga Fruits Basket. The little conversation of snow turning into Spring is a quote from it but I couldn't fit this into the description. It was the reason I wrote this. I really hope you like it – I'm very willing to accept constructive criticism. It's the reason I'm on this website anyway. If you have anything you want me to improve on, please specify.

I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!
— Charles Perrault