z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A kind of loneliness

by TheAbyssInYourCloset


Where am I? -- those are the first words to pop into my mind. I strain my mind in an attempt to remember what has just happened, to try and see if I remember how I got here. But what is "here", exactly?

I open my eyes. Except they are already open. Do I even have eyes in the first place? It's just darkness. It isn't the scary kind of darkness. Somehow it feels rather comforting. Soothing. It envelopes my whole body in its gentle, calming embrace -- that is, if I even had a body.

I am floating, I realise. There is no up or down, right or left. There is nothing. Merely me, or perhaps my mind and my thoughts. There is no sound, either. Even my ears are not ringing. All I can feel is the air around me. Not hot. Not cold, either. It just is, existing as it always has, and always would. I don't know how I know that. I just do. 

I feel a certain kind of loneliness. The kind you would feel as a kid, watching the birds fly by. The sun starting to set after a long day spent playing. When you still think this will last forever, this kind of life. It definitely has felt like forever up to that point. 

I'd say this kind of loneliness can also be felt when you're older. When you go to the beach and watch the sun slowly lower towards the horizon at midsummer; When you think about how small ants are compared to you, then think about how small you are compared to everything else; When you close a good book you just finished reading, catching up on how it ended within your mind. When you awake in the middle of the night, listening to the sounds of the city, or perhaps a stream of water outside your open window. When you sit alone at a café and watch the people on the street hurrying inside, trying to get cover from the sudden rain. 

That kind of loneliness. 

I turn on my side in my bed. I look at the summer night sky through my open blinds. The sky is painted a faint blue, with hints of pink, orange and yellow at the bottom. The dimness covers the few trees I can see. A couple of clouds slowly drift from one edge of the window to the other. 

I realise I am back. I hear my clock ticking on my wall. I cast a glance towards it. 1 a.m., it reads. I close my eyes and drift back to sleep. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
246 Reviews


Points: 22563
Reviews: 246

Donate
Mon May 06, 2024 1:49 pm
Spearmint says...



Oh my gosh. Those descriptions are so beautiful, and I truly remembered how loneliness feels. Especially "When you close a good book you just finished reading, catching up on how it ended within your mind."-- I have felt this so many times; finishing a good book seems to leave a little hole in you until you pick up a new one. xD Excellent work!!






Thank you! I'm glad you like it



Spearmint says...


:D



User avatar
240 Reviews


Points: 16328
Reviews: 240

Donate
Mon May 06, 2024 4:39 am
AkuRashomon wrote a review...



Hello, this is AkuRashomon and I am here to give you a review/comment. I love your avatar btw, is it your own art?

Where am I? -- those are the first thoughts to pop into my mind. I strain my mind in an attempt to remember what has just happened, to try and see if I remember how I got here. But what is "here", exactly?


This is a good start for your story. It is kind of giving like the narrator is having an identity crisis because of how lonely they are. I feel like the here should be italicized for more emphasize but the quote-on-quote is good too. So far, I think you are a good writer since this might be your first piece in the site. Good job!

I open my eyes. Except they are already open. Do I even have eyes in the first place? It's just darkness. It isn't the scary kind of darkness. Somehow it feels rather comforting. Soothing. It envelopes my whole body in its gentle, calming embrace -- that is, if I even had a body.


The narrator's eyes are open yet it still feels like darkness. Loneliness is both soothing and sad at the same time. It seems that you have made that clear in this paragraph. It also is more like the narrator is pertaining to their soul more than their physical body here too.

I am floating, I realise. There is no up or down, right or left. There is nothing. Merely me, or perhaps my mind and my thoughts. There is no sound, either. Even my ears are not ringing. All I can feel is the air around me. Not hot. Not cold, either. It just is, existing as it always has, and always would. I don't know how I know that. I just do.


The spelling of realize kind of confused me, then I remember the word realise with an "s" is not American English and it's UK English so it is alright and correct. In this paragraph, the narrator is saying that since the loneliness ate, swallowed or enveloped their body or soul, now everything they see, feel or sense is like a void.

I feel a certain kind of loneliness. The kind you would feel as a kid, watching the birds fly by. The sun starting to set after a long day spent playing. When you still think this will last forever, this kind of life. It definitely has felt like forever up to that point.


Then, in this part, the feeling of loneliness is different. I feel like this part is a bit out of place. Because there are different kinds of loneliness and this seems to be out of place about what type of loneliness you have mentioned in the last few paragraph. Yet, it is still about loneliness but the mixed feeling with loneliness is different here. I don't know if that makes sense but yeah, the feeling of loneliness is different from the other paragraph.

I'd say this kind of loneliness can also be felt when you're older. When you go to the beach and watch the sun slowly lower towards the horizon at midsummer; When you think about how small ants are compared to you, then think about how small you are compared to everything else; When you close a good book you just finished reading, catching up on how it ended within your mind. When you awake in the middle of the night, listening to the sounds of the city, or perhas a stream of water outside your open window. When you sit alone at a café and watch the people on the street hurrying inside, trying to get cover from the sudden rain.


You misspelt "perhaps". I think this paragraph flows well with the fourth paragraph. It is like you are describing different kinds of loneliness that a lot of people can feel. Maybe you can reduce the ";" sign more and add periods instead. This tells me that the narrator is really lonely that they feel very kind of loneliness a person may feel. That is how lonely they are. You described it well!

That kind of loneliness.

I turn on my side in my bed. I look at the summer night sky through my open blinds. The sky is painted a faint blue, with hints of pink, orange and yellow at the bottom. The dimness covers the few trees I can see. A couple of clouds slowly drift from one edge of the window to the other.


The sentence "That kind of loneliness." Is great! It summarizes whatever the story is about. Then, the next paragraph says that the person is more like in reality than in their thoughts. Even with the last part:

I realise I am back. I hear my clock ticking on my wall. I cast a glance towards it. 1 a.m., it reads. I close my eyes and drift back to sleep.


Overall, I think you did a good job! Keep it up, I'd love to see more works of yours^^

- AkuRashomon






Thank you for the review!

The misspelled "perhaps" is just a pure typo that I apparently missed (oops).

My avatar is not my own art, it's from a Picrew avatar creator (I believe the artist is Nuggt or Nugget). I like your avatar as well, I like Bungou stray dogs!



AkuRashomon says...


you're welcome for the review and thank you for the pfp! <33



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 209
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sun May 05, 2024 2:48 am
Inferno wrote a review...



Hello my fellow writer! Let's get started.

Okay. So first off, I wanted to state how really impressively written this was! The metaphor of loneliness... very well done! You make it relatable for any reader, of any age.

The kind you would feel as a kid, watching the birds fly by...
I'd say this kind of loneliness can also be felt when you're older...

Also, I love how descriptive you were! I feel like I'm actually in each scene! In that vast void of nothingness (which turns out to be a dream. Cool!), at the beach enjoying a sunset, waking up in my bed. All of them seemed so real, like you sucked me into a whole new universe. Good job!
You had a very captivating hooker. (the first sentence of a story that hooks the reader to continue on)
Where am I?

A opening question is always a good start. It makes the reader ask "Yeah, where are they?" and "wait, who are they?" Questions always encourage the reader to keep going, and find the answers to them.
Again, your descriptions are very well constructed, but I especially liked how you portrayed the feeling of floating in loneliness. That one was very poetically made. Bravo!

Okay, now for some corrections. Most of the story was perfect (like the plot, I absolutely loved the twist at the end), but there are a few minor grammar errors. This first line:
Where am I? -- those are the first thoughts to pop into my mind.

The "Where am I?" is just ONE thought. Singular. So instead of using words like "those", "are", and "thoughts", which are plural, maybe switch it to "this", "is", and "thought". Like so:
Where am I? -- this is the first thought to pop into my mind.

This part:
..to try and see if I remember how I got here. But what is "here", exactly?

This is okay how it is, but to build suspense you could rewrite it this way:
..to try and see if I remember how I got here... but what is "here", exactly?

This way makes it more suspenseful and less abrupt (at least in my opinion.)
Here:
I am floating, I realise.

A simple fix. Realize is with a "z", not an "s". You need to change the other "realise" later in the story too.

In general, this was a wonderful read. Keep writing!
Inferno






Thank you for the review! I'm glad you liked this piece. I wrote it around 2-3 a.m. so I'm not surprised about the grammar errors (not that I don't make them when I'm wide awake. I definitely do).

As for the "s" in "realise", I'm using British English, so in some words it's more common to use "s" instead of "z". For example "apologise" (UK) vs "apologize" (US).

Thank you for also pointing out places that I could write differently. I'll probably pay more attention to similar places in the future.



Inferno says...


Whoops! My bad. Thank you for educating me on the "z" or "s" thing. I learned something new today.

By the way, I think it's really cool that you're British (wait, are you?)... or speak British... or something... Some of the greatest authors/writers/poets were/are British. William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen. All from England! Wow. Whatever they teach you there... it's working!





British English also adds a %u201Cu%u201D in some words, whereas American English doesn%u2019t. Like %u201Ccolour%u201D (UK) vs %u201Ccolor%u201D (US) and %u201Chumour%u201D (UK) vs %u201Chumor%u201D (US). I%u2019m willing to bet there are more differences as well. It%u2019s kind of odd that the same language has so many differences depending on in which part of the world it%u2019s spoken at.

Also, I%u2019m actually from Finland, so English isn%u2019t even my first language. I%u2019ve just always found it so easy (at least compared to Swedish, which is our second official language here. Somehow I still suck at that despite studying both for about as long lol). I like to write in Finnish too, but I don%u2019t really have a chance to publish those works anywhere since most of the internet seems to speak English haha





I wrote that from my phone%u2026 idk if you can see what all the quotation marks turned into, but if you can, I am sorry for the difficult read omg



Inferno says...


It's okay! Wow. It's so cool how you are multilingual. WOAH. You are REALLY good at writing for English to be your second/third language!




Who, being loved, is poor?
— Oscar Wilde