Hey...how was ur day?

by SofieR

If we were characters in a play 

There wouldn’t be any rules to obey

I would walk up to your balcony 

Carrying a beautiful bouquet 

And I’d break into a monologue 

And my words would take your breath away. 

If we lived in a different time

When photographs came in black and grey

I would write you a longhand letter.

I would fill page after page and page

I would place it in a big blue box

And I would send it off on its way.

And there wouldn’t be this agony

If your reply came with a delay.

Unlike today.

If I hit send on a text

response must come right away

Otherwise I’m in distress

I’m in complete disarray

Thinking over all the ways

I’ve convinced you not to stay

But you are not Juliet

There are rules one can’t disobey 

Fingers poised and set to type 

I’ve been thinking of you all day 

But that’s not okay to say 

So instead I just say - 

“Hey...how was ur day?” 

summerdepressionexe wrote a review...

Hey! I'm Summerdepressionexe, here with a quick review.

Firstly, I love how you used an allusion to Romeo and Juliet to display your theme. It was very creative and worked really well in my opinion. I also love your theme itself.
Additionally, the flow of this poem is amazing. I don't know how else to describe it besides that each word feels like a logical progression of what came before.
One thing I was wondering; do you have any specific rhyme scheme? A lot of your lines rhyme, but some random ones don't, and I couldn't figure out any pattern between them.
Something I really liked was the descriptions in your second stanza. When you wrote, "If we lived in a different time when photographs came in black and grey I would write you a longhand letter. I would fill page after page and page I would place it in a big blue box and I would send it off on its way," I got literal chills! Using "black and gray" rather than the typical description of black and white adds a very unique feel to this work, and somehow feels more 'in-touch' with this far-off time period.
In your specific line, "I would fill page after page and page," I think the "and page" disrupts the flow a bit. To remedy this, I may suggest changing the quotation to 'I would fill page after page after page' so you can still keep that emphasis on how long and in-depth this letter would be.
In your second to last stanza, the lines, "I'm in complete disarray thinking over all the ways I've convinced you not to stay," are so raw and emotional. I'd love to see you channel that emotion into the rest of your poem as well in the future.
I will say, the last stanza was an absolute masterpiece! I expected for this poem to end sadly, but you did an amazing job at subverting expectations with your bittersweet ending. I'm also a huge fan of how you described fingers as "poised and set to type." This personification conveyed (to me at least) that the rise of impatience today has some good aspects as well, like being able to better keep in touch with loved ones, (and fingers being poised gave me a chuckle).
Overall, I loved how you used so many devices like allusions, personification, flow, and descriptive words to your advantage. The more emotional pieces really stuck out to me and I'd love to see you channel that in more of your writing in the future!

Anyways... have an awesome day and keep writing!! :)

SofieR says...

Thanks so much for reading!! :)

Nini wrote a review...

Hey! Here up with a review

So firstly the theme you used is really nice. It's how we wished of a time when we wouldn't have to overthink too much of the replies, just believed that someone there far away still is there for you. The way you described about the black and grey pictures and those longhand letter which tooks months to reach but still beholded the strongest relations and significance of unconditional love.

Then you added up about how curious and distress the whole situation gets now if the response isn't right away. The waves of overthinking and those doubtful thoughts which left him in disarray

And lastly the acceptance comes that there are certain things one can't always obey, things can't be smooth and perfect always

The very last part where the poet seemed to spent his whole day thinking about her but set back his fingers and instead wrote "Hey.. how was your day?" Was my favourite one in this.. it depicts the care for someone in one's heart

It was overall a beautiful poem and i liked the whole theme.. the small yet beautiful old things you mentioned which beholded the strong significance of love >>

This is just my suggestion in this that the first two lines at the starting seems to be different and gives off a different vibe but later after these the whole poem goes smooth and perfectly

SofieR says...

Thanks so much for reading! :)

ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

You wrote a really neat poem. First of all, I am going to give a few specifics and then jump into overall.

If we were characters in a play

There wouldn’t be any rules to obey

I guess you want to refrain from using punctuations. In that case, just to keep the flow, I think you could add an and before there. Doesn't it make the flow better? At least, I think so.

When photographs came in black and grey

I liked the use of grey here. It was a bit unusual in that way that we generally tend to say black and white but it added to the uniqueness.

I would fill page after page and page

Here this "and page" kind of disrupts the flow. Now I can't suggest you too just remove it become that would reduce the emphasis you tried to put on it. Well, I don't have any idea of a replacement but I can just figure out that it just hinders the flow a bit. Look for an alternative.

Fingers poised and set to type

Haha, fingers being ready to do something is quite funny.

Now coming to the overall. I think this was really a bittersweet poem. On one hand, it just points out at how impatient people are becoming nowadays in contrast to how they were in the past. In past, when these technology was not there, people were much more patient about pretty much everything. Now impatience is taking its place. I really liked the imagination and how you imagined yourself in two different ages- in the present and the past.

I would just like to tell you that other than the parts I mentioned, the poem had a natural flow despite not being rhythmic and not having much similarity in the number of syllables. Great job on that!

I really love the last part where you said that it's just not the best thing to straightaway tell someone that the character is thinking of them. So as an alternative, one can ask how their day was. It actually reflects a lot on people's mind and their psychology. All in all, it was a great read!!

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

SofieR says...

Thank you so much for reading and for the suggestions! :)

LadySpark wrote a review...

Hey Sofie!

I like how your poem is bright, cheerful, and just overall really sweet. There's an element of innocence that makes it really endearing to the reader. I like where you're going with a lot of your imagery, and I think as you continue to write more you're going to find some metaphors you enjoy!

My best advice for you in this review would be to go out and read as much poetry as you can. And while you do that, write as much as you can. If you do that for a few years, I know your poetry is going to take off, you've got a great natural rhythm and poetic voice!

Good luck, keep writing
Spark

SofieR says...

Thank u so much for reading!

If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind