z

Young Writers Society



Death and fame

by ForeverYoung299, EsmerayaRose


Life can bring a lot of discomforts

to the point, we all suffer

Can't seem to forget

the one thing

I always wanted

fame

Never got rid of the thirst

so much it hurts,

the one thing I wanted

I can do anything and

specifically everything

for achieving it.

Yes, you read it right

I can even die for it!

But I can never

Let my fame drain

And mix with the garbage.

No matter how it hurts,

I can manage it.

I want to see my name

Written in ‘gold’

And that is all I want!

I will fight with will and time

No, I'm not losing my mind

I'm fine.

Their threats come at me,

but my voice is loud.

Never got rid of it

the thirst for it

the only thing I ever wanted

No matter what


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:19 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi ForeverYoung299,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

That´s a very special poem you wrote there. I like the theme in it and how one can interpret it. I wasn´t expecting something like this, when I start reading it and am surprised about the outcome. I can see, what has derived you to write it, and I also can see, that you have a certain amount of criticism in it, which gives the poem a very unique style.

I can clearly read the emotion and the desire for fame in it. You depict it as a very strong hunger, that goes over good and evil, at least in my opinion. There are certain passages that are a bit extreme in it, what I like, since I think the narrator is the one to want to be famous, no matter what, even if it means to sell his own sister.

Sometimes the poem is a bit too much on certain verses. I think you could expand or rewrite some passages because some seem too repetitive. It occurs to me, as you wanted to show how convinced the narrator in this poem is, to get fame. It reminds me of all the Youtubers and wannabe People on the social media platforms, which do anything for likes, just to be famous. And there I´m asking myself, what they gonna do, when they are famous enough? Then they have achieved their dreams…

The lack of rimes isn´t a bad thing, since it would destroy the meaning behind your poem and the style you are using. I like how some lines are longer, than others. It is as the narrators try to breathe in between, just before their big moment before becoming famous. Some points I found during my read:

Life can bring a lot of discomforts
to the point, we all suffer


The beginning is a really powerful start, as it gives the reader already a good insight into the narrator. They compare the need for fame and not getting it, with other things like hunger, domestic abuse, or other bad things, that nobody should ever have / feel. It gives me as a reader the idea, that the narrator is just ignorant and selfish.

Can't seem to forget
the one thing
I always wanted


Here I think you show in a quite great way, what it is, what keeps the narrator alive and how they want to achieve it. It sounds like a declaration.

I want to see my name
Written in ‘gold’


I´m not sure why you put the gold in quotation marks because there are people whose names are literally written in gold. Or is it a more metaphorical concept of becoming the new hit on the Internet?

What I´m missing in this poem is a bit, why you wrote it. I get it, that the narrator is a selfish brick and wants to become famous, even if it means to die, so one don´t forget him. But I need in some sort of a cause what makes the reader think about the poem. The text itself is written well but it is straightforward and don´t give the message to me, “Hey, don´t be hungry to fame, be nice” or something like this. It just shows in some sort of a worst-case scenario, which isn´t really pleasant.

I think I understand your way, to show this because you brought me to think about how I would become famous and how one should become famous. I believe, it would fit, if you added a new poem from another perspective to show how to become famous by doing the right things, people needed.

Overall it was a nice, entertaining poem with quite a unique voice.

Have fun writing!

Mailice




EsmerayaRose says...


Thanks for the review!



Random avatar

Points: 23
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:19 pm
View Likes
esthersanti1600 wrote a review...



Hi there! I completely agree with BlueGlow - this is a really unique concept for a poem. It very well illustrates the emotion that goes into the hunger for fame that so many people, and the dark side of it as well. I think that it might be a bit dialogue-heavy for a poem - reads more like a spoken monologue, rather than an internal one. However, this is not a problem at all - just not particularly orthodox for a poem. Adding in more imagery or more hints at this being unspoken words from a character would give it quite a bit of depth, but it beautiful as it is!




EsmerayaRose says...


Thanks for the review



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 51
Reviews: 31

Donate
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:24 pm
View Likes
BlueGlow wrote a review...



This is a very interesting concept for poem! You've excellently put words to the desire for fame however, as this is a piece of poetry I would recommend you use more descriptive language so as to emphasize the feelings you are trying to express. Over all a well executed piece of work that, with a bit of touch up, is something to be proud of! Keep up the work and keep on improving!




EsmerayaRose says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 2448
Reviews: 56

Donate
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:46 am
View Likes
akanbright wrote a review...



Wow. Somebody in this thread can actually write something like this, its really amazing and I love. What attracted me and made me continue reading down is the simplity of words and diction used in the poem. Your poem's language was actually low and the tone moderate, all I composition to the title of the poem.
I love poems that aren't contradictory in nature. Not one you write, and then the next line seem to carry a different ideas, far from what was actually intended. Unlike other poems that I do read, they make their work and mistakes rather too obvious.
I like your concept about fame and the way you tried linking it to the poem and bringing it to light as a commendable work.
I don't know if it is buried deep in the poem or you just wrote it, but I want to say that I find nothing of death in the poem, just fame, or maybe I should read it again. If in that it is how you chose it, no problem, but apart from that, I would say I have no problem with your work. Liking the concept of fame, as it is what many actually long for, deep down, even if they pretend they don't. It could destroy a person and could also exalt a person.
Who this, I draw the line by saying its a really good one and i hope to review more if your work sometime.






Thank u so much!




Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman