Ch 3: A Good Tiding For Lonely Marie & Ch 4: A New Place

by ForeverYoung299

CHAPTER 3

The sad vacation had ended. Marie has become lonelier. Earlier,too she was lonely in her school but she had a good partner to talk and gossip with. Now, that is no more.

“Marie, get ready. Your school bus is about to arrive. Fast.” told her father.

“ Yes papa. I am getting ready. Papa, I have a request…”

“Ok. i will listen to it after you return from school. Now, get ready. It’s 8:15 you see. I am not gonna drop you. Then I will be late. Fast fast.”

“Ok… as you wish. I am almost ready.”

“Hello girls. Nice to meet you after such a long time. I have a good news for you.” told miss.Paul , the class teacher of class 5.”

“What ma’am?” shouted the whole class.

“Hush… quiet. You will have only the last two periods today.”

“Yeah. thank you ma’am.”

“Ok. but no playing games. Today, we are going to talk about summer vacations. I will call your names one by one and you will tell how you spent these days. Ok?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Well. Anna, tell what did you do?”

Anna answered, “Ma’am i visited shimla.”

“That’s a great place indeed.”

“Yes ma’am. Very beautiful.”

“Anything else?”

“Yes ma’am. I painted a lot. I have brought a few. May I…?”

“Yes. of course.”

The whole class clapped and praised her drawings except marie.miss paul told looking towards marie, “Marie, why didn't you clap? Whatever how you spent your summer vacations?”

“I witnessed the death of my world.”

“What?”

Ariana interposed, “ might be her parents have taken the phone from her.”

“Don’t interrupt”

“Marie, what happened?”

“My grandfather passed away.”

“You used to love your grandfather?”

“I still love him.”

“Ok. sit down”

Marie has not recovered yet. Her grandfather was the only person she could talk freely- without any obstacles. She has undergone a tremendous change. Today, the class saw a new avatar of her- an extremely new one. Such a mischievous girl has turned into a quiet one!

Marie returned home. His father too returned home. “ papa, will you listen to me or not?”

“No. I will not. Please give me some time to cope up with me.”

“ what’s wrong with you?”

“Transfer!”

Marie’s mother ran on this word and yelled, “ what did you say? Transfer? Oh my god! Where?”

“Not outside this state.”

“ Thank God!”

“No need to thank god. It’s far away from here. I think we should shift.” an instance of smile appeared on Marie's face.

“Shift! Where?”

“A place”

“Yea… i have heard the name.it’s really quite far. Then?”

“I told you.”

“Ok. by when do we have to go?”

“ within two weeks.”

“ what an office!”

“Nothing to do”

“Hm”

The next day. While Marie was getting ready for school, her father told her mom, “ I have found one apartment. Do you wanna see it?”

“ yes. Of course.”

“Ok. then finish all your chores. After Marie goes to school, we will go to see the apartment.”

“Ok.”

Marie asked, “ papa when will you return?”

“ before you return home, we will come back. Don’t be tensed.”

Marie has become isolated. While in the school bus, she stares out of the window wondering what she used to do earlier. but,today she is somewhat light-hearted. Probably due to that she will have to change her school and she will be able to get some friends-good friends. But,there’s a sad part also. She has to leave the house where she stayed with her grandfather for years. While she was wondering all these, the school has arrived. She didn’t notice. She got down on the call of the bus driver.

Today’s first class is of their class teacher. She is quite cheerful. She teaches maths, the subject which all are afraid of. But, she teaches in a way that nowadays all have started doing maths most of the free time instead of playing games! Marie remains in her wondering only. The only class she is interested in is games. Nothing else.

“Hey. Marie, I will talk to your principal tomorrow. You are going to leave this school.”

“Ok. papa. Thank god”

“ what won’t you miss your school?”

“Yes. I will.” Marie said laboriously.

“Ok. we will be going within a week.”

CHAPTER 4

Marie along with her family have bought two rooms in an apartment. Coincidentally, that apartment is also the dwelling place of one relative of Marie's father.

Their rooms are on the 1st floor of the apartment. Marie can see the whole area from their vestibule. It's surrounded by a garden. The garden seems to be her favourite. Not really the garden, the animals in the garden. They are undoubtedly fond of Marie and Marie too is fond of them. Marie was trying to play football with one pet dog of the garden when the janitor scolded him for doing so. As an answer, Marie tried to beat him with the football but she struck that so hard that it entered their room only where her mother was planning how to arrange the furniture.

Fortunately the window was open. Marie wondered what would have happened if it was closed… no one could have saved her from being thrashed! Thank god! She left the dog, forgetting about the lift and ran towards the stairs at once. When she reached the room, her mother was glaring at her in such a way that to her, it seemed that she would definitely have a bad day- just the opposite of what she thought.

“I am quite sure we will not be able to stay here for even a week. The people will not allow us to stay here. If it were any other room, what would have happened?”

Marie stood still. The words were frozen on her lips. She had hardly spoken when the janitor began yelling, “telling to all the people of the residence. You all know that three people arrived today at this residence. I warn- be aware of those. The child tried to beat me with the football. She was playing with the dog in the garden destroying its beauty.”

Most of the people came out of their rooms. While some believed in the words of the janitor and took it seriously, the others thought that he was babbling- it’s quite normal for a child to play. Her mother felt sorry at these incidents, but she frowned at him. She has gained back her lost spirit.

In the night. “Marie, don’t do whatever you have done today.” her father reproved her.“Listen, tomorrow we will go to a school for your admission.”

“Ok. papa.”replied Marie thrillingly.

“Ooh. yes. One more thing- your scholarship. Your principal informed me about it. You didn’t even bother to tell me about it. She has given me the certificate as well as the cheque. It will be useful in your studies. Don’t dare to waste it.”

“Ok papa.” she uttered without even thinking.

The next morning. Marie accompanied by her father, went to the school- St. Marie’s school. She was delighted to see the name. It ‘s in her name only. She wondered that a school exists in her name and also in the same state only- but she didn’t even know that! How could it be…

When she was introduced to the principal by her father, she had a great admiration for her. “Ok. so welcome to St. Marie’s school. I hope you will enjoy your journey.”

“Of course, I will ma’am” Marie replied, immersed in thoughts.

“Good girl”

Marie smiled.

Her father told, “ Ma'am, I am so happy that you are giving her the opportunity.”

She replied with great personality, “ I am giving her the opportunity and she will make the opportunity work to it’s best. Isn’t it marie?”

“Yes ma’am” Marie replied beaming.

“Then, from when are you coming?”

“From tomorrow?”

“Yes! This is the answer i wanted.”

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:24 am

Hi! I'm baaack again!!

First Impression: Okay...soo looks like we've got too chapters going on in the one piece and I can see why...chapter is pretty short compared to some of the others ones...and I think both chapters are pretty decent, the story really moves forward quite a few steps her, and I think it's going in an interesting direction here.

Well, Marie is certainly not taking the death of her grandfather all too well, and it looks like especially judging from this quick interaction we see with her father, she doesn't really have anyone else that will listen to her problems.

“What ma’am?” shouted the whole class.

“Yeah. thank you ma’am.”

OKay....once again, a very sudden transition, I think you need to put something there to indicate that the scene is changing, or this feels like it just slaps you in the face out of nowhere....and that's not a good thing.

“Yes ma’am.”

“Well. Anna, tell what did you do?”

“That’s a great place indeed.”

“Yes ma’am. Very beautiful.”

“Anything else?”

“Yes. of course.”

Okay...well, this seems like the typical sort of class that you have after the summer vacation is over...that's a neat little conversation going on there...and the bit of subtle showing off by the girl with the drawings is very much how these things tend to go down in stories like this.

“I witnessed the death of my world.”

“What?”

Oooh, there's always someone who makes a comment like that without realizing that they just made a horrible joke....you can certainly see the kind of atmosphere that exists in this class through lines like that one.

So this is nice to see, some proper character development going on here...with Marie actually showing some very noticeable and very realistic effects of the horrible events from the previous chapter.

“ what’s wrong with you?”

“Transfer!”

Oh dear, looks like the problems for this family are only starting to pile up...that looks like another thing that's going to make things a bit hard for everyone here.

“Not outside this state.”

“ Thank God!”

Hmm...well that's not too much of a surprise, but it is definitely going to put some interesting things into play here with Marie's feelings and the state of this family in general here.

“ within two weeks.”

“ what an office!”

“Nothing to do”

“Hm”

Hmm...this argument here seems to be missing a few words, but I do think it manages to accurately capture the kind of situation that would happen in the event of something like this Its a bit hard to follow who's speaking when, but if you sorted that one out, this would really make for some pretty realistic dialogue.

“ yes. Of course.”

“Ok.”

Hmm...well I suppose this place can't be tooo far away then if they can go and look at an apartment and come back all within a day..although I suppose that's not really a detail that matters too much, it doesn't seem like there's anyone in this area that Marie would exactly miss.

Hmm, this is one of the best paced segments so far, ahh, this is definitely showing some good signs of improvement from the previously much more chaotic and haphazard transitions, we need more of this!!! This bit of personal reflection by Marie is also quite lovely to see.

Hmm...well that seems to be about on brand for the way that she has acted throughout the story, especially with her actions in that first chapter here.

“Ok. papa. Thank god”

“ what won’t you miss your school?”

“Yes. I will.” Marie said laboriously.

“Ok. we will be going within a week.”

Eeep...one more sudden transition there...this conversation with the father really comes out of nowhere...and you've gotta do something to show that there's a scene change there.

Hmm...this is so far the most description that we've managed to run into one of these stories, and I think this is done fairly well here...its good to see a bit more things like this slowly starting to get sprinkled in among all the long bits of dialogue. Its gives the story more of a balance which I like.

Well, Marie's definitely not made a very good first impression on people in the building there, it looks like things are going to go a bit downhill for here there...oh dear, it does seem like she was just playing around though, I don't think she was intentionally trying to cause trouble in this scenario here.

Well....that's just a horrible thing there, the janitor definitely went a bit too far calling them out like that in front of the entire building and trying to make life very hard for the newcomers to the place...I wonder what his motives are with that one there.

“Ok. papa.”replied Marie thrillingly.

Hmm...well, this should be exciting...her getting to go to a new school...although I feel like the father should've sounded a bit more proud and congratulated here on those exam results, that actually sounds like a pretty big achievement there.

Well this very innocent fascination with the school having the same name that she is very adorable to see there...ahh, good to get reminders of how young she is.

“Yes ma’am” Marie replied beaming.

“Then, from when are you coming?”

“From tomorrow?”

“Yes! This is the answer i wanted.”

Hmm...okay...that's a fun interaction between the teacher and the new student, I have no idea if Marie will keep her promise and actually work hard, but it looks like she's at least pretending like she will behave well and that's something good.

Overall: Overall, I like where this is trying to go here and this chapter really does have some very noticeable improvements when compared to the previous ones in the same story which shows just how much you do improve. Cehyn in the Earth is really doing very well because of this. Anyway, I'm excited to see what Marie gets up to next :D

Thank you for the review!! It feels good to receive reviews on old works. :D

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!! :D

Hi Forever,

It was very interesting to read how you came back from the last chapter to this one. I liked the short school life and you could also clearly feel that Marie was looking forward to going back to school. As I can increasingly see where the plot is going, I really liked that you kept that focus and managed to portray Marie as very striving, eager but still childlike. I especially like that she is very direct and has some kind of goal in mind. Even though it's hard for her, she seems to quickly agree to change schools, leaving everything and everyone behind. You create a brief separation there before moving on to the next chapter.

As I read, I always have this strange feeling that there's still a big reveal to come, or at least a point where this kind of wall or castle that Marie has built up will come crashing down. Because at the moment everything leads to one big point, without many problems. I think that's good, but it also gives Marie a bit of this character trait of being very optimistic or even naïve. She's not yet aware of how "adult" life works and I think you've portrayed that well. She sees it - but she doesn't always carry it out fully yet. In any case, a very good quality.

Having read Ch. 3 and Ch. 4, I'll ask what your predominant literature was that you read. I do see that you incorporate a fast pace and thus move the story along much faster than, for example, I do, but if you flesh that out a little better, you still stick to that pace. Maybe you've taken that kind of style from a particular book or author, which I think is already a good approach.

There are a few spelling mistakes scattered around, or sometimes a lack of a comma, full stops, etc... but never so bad that you stand there and don't know what to do. I would just make sure to read it again after writing before you post the story. You can already see in the more recent stories that this is no longer the case so often.

Hey! Thanks for the review! And about what I read.................................................. If I try to extend this, this will keep extending cuz I haven't really read many books :(
The only series I remember reading is harry potter. ALso, I have read a few books such as Alchemist, The room on the roof,Swami and his freinds. Nothing else. However, XD I have read a lot on YWS.

spiral wrote a review...

I am back again for another review.
I liked these two chapters! The story has been really interesting so far, and I'm already rather invested in it.

Now time for me to nitpick and rephrase a few things.

""Marie, get ready. Your school bus is about to arrive. Fast.” told her father."
There's no need for the word 'fast'. Also, 'told' should be 'said'.

"“Yes papa. I am getting ready. Papa, I have a request…”"
Since in that last sentence here Marie seems hesitant, maybe you could rephrase this as
""Yes papa. I am getting ready." Marie hesitates for a moment, then says "Papa, I have a request...""

"“Ok… as you wish. I am almost ready.”
“Hello girls..."
You should announce something before changing the scene like this. By starting this new scene with dialogue immediately after another dialogue you confuse the reader.

"Today, the class saw a new avatar of her..."
Instead of the word 'avatar', 'side' would be a simpler word choice.

"Oh my god! Where?"
You should capitalize 'God', here, and in every instance you use it.

"I think we should shift..."
The word you're looking for is 'move', 'shift' doesn't work in this context.

"Don’t dare to waste it."
This should be "Don't you dare waste it." but keep in mind, it sounds a bit aggressive. If you want Marie's father to be a bit kinder about it you could say "Don't waste it."

"Her father told, “ Ma'am, I am so happy that you are giving her the opportunity.”"
It should be, "Her father said," and it might be better in this instance to have that part after the dialogue.

“Then, from when are you coming?”
“From tomorrow?”
This is good, but you don't need the word 'from' in either instance.

I know I nitpicked a lot, but I really do like this story! It's really interesting and I will keep reading it when I get the chance.

*also, keep in mind, you don't need to listen to every suggestion i gave here

Thanks for your review. Waiting for the review of the next chapter

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:51 am
Nightingale06 wrote a review...

The story is coming along well! I like simple stories like this, in which you still can't predict what will come next. You have shown a slight character change in Marie after her terrible summer vacation, which I appreciate. At first, Mary was the one who sneered, and now the others sneer at her. Like I could feel the hatred towards the kid who mocked Mary by saying that her parents might have taken her phone away. It's a good sign if the reader is able to feel the emotions, it means your scene is not flat. I liked the name of chapter 3.
Just a suggestion, in the sentence "Its in her name only." , you could have removed the *only* and replaced it with just an exclamation mark, to show the excitement. But it's your choice anyways.

thanks for your awesome review. I have posted chapter and 6. you can check them out

DreamyAlice wrote a review...

Hey Alice is here to give a review!!!

The chapters are nice and well written. Just try adding some good descriptions like the other reviewer before me has pointed out. Because descriptions only allow us to imagine the things perfectly.

SUGGESTIONS

Earlier,too she was lonely in her school but she had a good partner to talk and gossip with.

I don't think there is a need of a comma between 'Earlier' and 'too'. And whenever you put a comma after a word there should be a gap between the words like this:

Earlier, too she was lonely in her school

Her grandfather was the only person she could talk freely- without any obstacles. She has undergone a tremendous change. Today, the class saw a new avatar of her- an extremely new one.

We usually put a comma in this type of line instead of a dash'-'

“Ok. i will listen to it after you return from school. Now, get ready. It’s 8:15 you see"

There should be a comma after 'Ok' instead of full stop. And 'i' should be 'I'

The whole class clapped and praised her drawings except marie.miss paul told looking towards marie,

The names should be capitalized and after the full stop there should be a gap before the next word. And the words like Miss, Mrs and Ms are always capitalized. This line should be:

The whole class clapped and praised her drawings except Marie. Miss Paul told looking towards Marie,

When quoting the first word of a complete sentence should be capitalized, regardless of its placement within the main sentence.

used to do earlier. but,today she is somewhat light-hearted.

The first word of a sentence should be capitalized, 'but' should be 'But'. This mistake occurred many time try editing it.

Marie was trying to play football with one pet dog of the garden when the janitor scolded him for doing so.

'him' should be 'her'

You should definitely try any applications for the grammatical mistakes, like maybe Grammarly. Don't you worry, then there will not be any punctuation or grammatical mistakes. There are mistakes in this chapter but you can just edit them. It has just been 3 or 4 days since you joined and yet you have uploaded so many works of yours. You are doing great!!!Hope you are satisfied with the review!

Bye!!!

thanks for your worthy review. i have written chapter 5... you can check it out.

illy7896 wrote a review...

I liked the dialogue in chapter 3, replicating what school children would most likely say. I also like the fact that you have voiced her feelings through dialogue with her parents, and illustrated the rush of life, and how she is being swept away from everything she knows. Her grandfather's death and her leaving her home is a very good topic, which considers the feelings of loneliness.
Perhaps, when you introduce us to different places, give us descriptions just so the reader understand where we are. Even just a little description of a classroom or even the paintings that Anna showed, and Marie's personal opinion to get a sense of closeness with Marie and her character, or perhaps as she is grieving to express the way she feels about people, about herself etc.

"Marie has become isolated. While in the school bus, she stares out of the window wondering what she used to do earlier. but,today she is somewhat light-hearted. Probably due to that she will have to change her school and she will be able to get some friends-good friends. But,there’s a sad part also. She has to leave the house where she stayed with her grandfather for years. While she was wondering all these, the school has arrived. She didn’t notice. She got down on the call of the bus driver.

Today’s first class is of their class teacher. She is quite cheerful. She teaches maths, the subject which all are afraid of. But, she teaches in a way that nowadays all have started doing maths most of the free time instead of playing games! Marie remains in her wondering only. The only class she is interested in is games. Nothing else."

I felt like these were strong paragraphs, there's a good link between getting off the bus and then going to class. And even the fact that she's miserable with were she is. How does she feel about staying at her grandfather's? Maybe you could give the teacher a name, or describe how the class went for her.

I think that this has a lot of potential, and an interesting storyline. Maybe you could write it in first person, to represent the grief in more a more personal way

I enjoyed this piece, excited for the next chapter :)

thanks for your great review. i really appreciate it. i did one poetry work- decision: the key to life. you can check it out.

i have written chapter 5. you can check it out

sunlightwarriorxo wrote a review...

Hi,
These are a good couple of chapters - you've used good imagery and language choices to convey the emotions you want too, however I feel as though in Chapter 4, through refining and edits, you may need to develop your description (e.g. about Marie's Father). You introduced him after the death of her grandpa which is great - but as a reader you feel as though you're lacking a sufficient description to allow the readers to visualise what you're protagonist and your father looks like. And also you need to ensure that you keep tenses consistent, at the start of chapter 4 you begin it with present, so ensure that you maintain a consistent tense for your piece. But other than that, they're a very good couple of chapters - you display much potential as a writer, so please keep writing (these comments are all just opinion and suggestion of course - it's your work so you should do whatever you feel is right for it)!
Keep Writing! :)

thanks for your review! i will keep in mind your suggestions while writing.

hey, what do you think about the flow of the novel? is it going good?

yes its going good :) - ive just posted another excerpt of Hereissa - check out and review if you get a chance.

yes. of course. can you pls give me the link?

i did the review. go and check it

i have - i donated 5 points as a token of my gratitude :)

yes. i have seen that. thank you so much

i have written chapter 5. can check it out

ok sure :)

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
— William Shakespeare