The city of the lost

by 2Stareyes

Star's bright eyes filled with tears as her father was dragged away. "Papa!" She cried.

Her father turned and looked at her. "Be brave my Stardust!" He whispered in her ear as they were torn away.

Star sobbed as he released her and was taken away. "Papa!" She whispered as she turned, running toward the woods of their country home.

"Girl! STOP!" A guard shouted as he chased her. 

Star's eyes flashed and she sped up. 

1 year later:

Star sighed as she got out of bed. She kept dreaming that one dream. She smiled when she heard the sounds of the village. The village was called the city of the lost, there were warrens for the outcasts and rejects. She was one of them now. "Ugh I need to go hunting today." She sighed as she changed into the soft hunting clothes, the black leather pants and shirt were a little big on her but they had plenty of pockets. She strapped a small knife on her leg. Tied her bow and arrows in their quiver and put them on her back. Then she grabbed a few more knives and stuffing them in pockets she turned and left the hut she lived in. 

"Hey Star!" The strong voice of her friend Jonathan rang out.

Star nodded to him. "Got to go hunting, what about you?" She asked him.

Jonathan shrugged. "Don't know, maybe hunt maybe not." He said.

Star nodded again and walked off. She reached the woods and grabbed her bow. "Tokaita come on lets go," she  said.

Her big black wolf dog leapt from his hiding place in the woods. He growled softly.

Star laughed and petted him. "Good boy Tokaita good boy. Lets go get some meat!" She said happily then she heard the snap of a twig. She felt Tokaita tense under her hand. "Who is there?" She asked deepening her voice.

"Help me please!" A boy's voice said weakly.

"Tokaita stay!" Star said sharply in her normal voice. She rushed to where she heard the voice. She saw a boy laying hidden in a pile of brush. "What do you need?" She asked again.

"Please they are after me!" He said his voice weak.

Star looked around heard the voices of some guards and she darted into the brush next to the boy. "Stay still!" She hissed. 

The guards passed. 

"Who are you?" The boy asked. 

Star glared at him. "What are you doing here?!" She snapped.

The boy's eyes narrowed, "Looking for you."

Star felt a chill run up her spine.

"I know who you are. Star. I know who you are!" His voice was cold and harsh.

soundofmind wrote a review...

Hey 2stareyes! I'm here to review your story! :)

I think my favorite part about this chapter of your story is the little twist at the end. I didn't see that coming! I thought maybe it was going to be your typical "main-character saves the day" situation but then it turned out the boy was faking, which makes things all the more interesting! And I'll tell you why - it's because it raises more questions about your main character, Star! While it's clear from the dream/flashback in the beginning that Star has some kind of checkered, troubled past being separated from her father, and now living in a lost city of outcasts, we don't really know all the details, so we had no reason to believe someone might be looking for her, nevermind with evil or mischievous intent.

Can't wait to find out who Star really is! Or if this boy is just playing games and messing with her ;).

One of the things I'd like to echo though is building off what Josie said in the previous review. Josie had a lot of great questions to give you starting points, but I think even some of those questions don't have to be answered right away. While I'd love to know more about how the city of outcasts works, I also want to know just... what do things look like? What's her friend Jonathan look like? What about Star herself? Or her father?

There's a lot of different things you could describe and explain, but that doesn't mean you have to describe everything. Finding a balance between too little and too much description is hard, and I know I, as a writer, am still figuring it out too! That said, adding more descriptions would help not only strengthen your story but it would also help the reader be able to engage more with it. One of the beautiful things about descriptions is that it gives the reader a springboard for their imagination. If you tell us there's a forest, we might have a vague idea of what different forests look like. But if you tell us Star's dog Tokaita comes bounding out of a pair of twiggy, dry bushes, then that tells us maybe the forest is drier, and not as lush as we might've imagined at first. I know for me, it helps me to be able to be on the same page as you and feel more immersed in the story!

As I was reading through, I also realized there were a few spots where you punctuated dialogue incorrectly. This link has a really short and easy explanation on how to do different types punctuation with dialogue if you want to give it a quick look! I know it can be tricky - I still get confused, sometimes too.

But, with all that said, I think you have the pieces of a cool story here, they just need a little meat put on the bones to fill it in and give it more life!

I think that's all from me today, but let me know if you have any questions about my review or if you want any more help or pointers! Also, if you post the next chapter to this, tag me in the comments! I'd like to review it and follow along!

Blessings <3
-sound

Josie24 wrote a review...

Oooh, yaasssss!

Sorry, I'm composed now. To be honest, this came up on the recommended for you column on the side of the screen. I just read something long and not really my style, so I figured, why not?

DID. NOT. DISAPPOINT.

I realize this is a chapter, so there will (hopefully) be more, but I wish there were a little more detail on the scene (?) in the beginning. I also wish we had a little more detail about the village. Why was it the city of the lost? Why is everyone there outcasts? Was it a normal city once, and just overrun by outlaws, or did someone found it? If so, what made them decided they wanted to gather a bunch of outlaws in one place? Is it hidden (that would explain why people could live in peace there, without much fear of being caught)?

If you ever read your reviews: Can you tell me if you are going to be continuing this?

This must be really new- I say as I scroll up and read the date published (I'm a dork, I'm sorry). I loved it. I noticed you became a member today (Also while having scrolled up) I'm relatively new too. Is this your first story, first published-on-a-site, or first published on this site, or all three? I know these questions are weird, but I ran out of things to type because I have to be patient with my questions if you're going to write more on this story.

2Stareyes says...

This is chapter one, My first story published on a site and first on this site. I will work on adding more detail next time

Josie24 says...

Wow, that was fast! Good luck, I'll be looking for it! Okay, that sounded really creepy, I'm sorry.

2Stareyes says...

Dont worry about it

oh to be a cat in a pile of towels
— ChesTacos