z

Young Writers Society



A Fleeting Eternity - Chapter Seven

by Shady


Ky curled in a little ball next to the bed. Her back was pressed against the wall, arms tightly wrapped around her abdomen, trying to calm the pain that throbbed through her body. He’d allowed her to clean up the mess before getting dressed, but there was nothing to absorb the tears that soaked her face.

Sobs racked her shoulders for what felt like an eternity, before they leveled off to heavy shuddering breaths. Her throat was raw. Her entire body felt swollen and sore and… dirty. She didn’t have the words to begin to describe how violated she felt; how exposed; how used.

“Sounds like you’re about done sniveling.”

Ky looked up fearfully as Aleth stood from his desk across the room and strode towards her. It felt like hours had passed between him finally letting her up from the bed and now, but it was hard to say if it’d been more than a few minutes.

“Now it’s time for some answers.” He stood over her, crossing his arms as he looked down on her. “Because I’ve certainly got questions.”

Ky pulled her arms even more tightly around herself, trying to still the trembling. This time she didn’t avert her gaze as she stared back at him. Anger rivaled the fear and pain pounding through her body. She desperately wanted to spring up and sprint from the room – but he’d slammed her into the wall the first time she tried that, and threatened to throw her straight through the wall if she tried it again. It was certain hyperbole, but she was too sore to cross him again just then. She waited in horrified silence to see what was to come.

He sat on the edge of the bed, just in front of her, and crossed his arms again. He cocked an eyebrow. “That was quite the interesting turn of events, mm? Although I suppose my secret probably didn’t surprise you as much as yours surprised me.”

Ky took a deep breath, his condescending tone fueling the anger. “I thought you knew my secret from the start.”

“Oh, no, no, don’t misunderstand me, Ky,” Aleth said, smirking. “I knew one of your secrets, but by no means did I suspect this. This is far more priceless than anything I could have imagined.”

Ky glared at him. “Then why?”

“See, now that’s where this all gets interesting,” Aleth answered. “The simplest ‘why’ I suppose is that you caught my eye in the courtyard, looking all around when you clearly knew you shouldn’t. That’s not too much out of the ordinary, of course, but I noticed you’re a cutie, and thought I’d see what it would take to bed you.”

Ky cringed. The way he talked about it so casually – as if he hadn’t just violated the deepest parts of her. It was disgusting. And it still hurt so very badly.

“So, you know. I started with the basics, a bit of small talk, try to see how you’d respond,” Aleth said. “No servant likes it when I speak to him. It’s understandable, being nervous about interaction with a noble. But you weren’t just nervous, you were downright suspicious. Made me wonder what it is that you had to be suspicious about me finding out.”

Ky frowned at him.

“I mean, obviously my questions aren’t as innocent as they seem,” Aleth said. “And most stable boys aren’t clever enough to realize that, so when I find one who is intelligent enough to be wary of me, I start poking to see if I can find something I can work with. Yours I found right off… Kyber Ruirac… I thought it was a strange name for a mountain boy. People from the mountains don’t have a last name, do they, Ky?”

The bottom fell out of Ky’s stomach as she stared at him in a horrified silence.

“So why would a stable boy invent a last name for himself?” Aleth mused. “To blend in, most likely, but why? Because he didn’t want to answer questions? Because he wanted to fit in? Hard to say.”

Ky swallowed hard. The very thing she thought would protect her and help her maintain her assumed identity had led to her downfall. People from the mountains never asked her for a surname; people who asked for a surname never thought twice about her being from the mountains. And then there was Aleth.

“But then I saw you reading my letters.”

Ky closed her eyes, frustrated. She was so stupid.

“Oh, yes. You played a good game, pretending that you couldn’t read, looking at the crests, sure,” Aleth said. “But you can’t lie to me, Ky. My vocation is talking to people and figuring out when they’re lying to me.”

Ky wished, for the millionth time that hour, that she could disappear.

“But that made me curious. How could a stable boy learn how to read?” Aleth continued. “I’d appreciate some help on that one…”

Ky opened her eyes. Aleth was looking at her expectantly over the rims of his glasses. She took a shaky breath, defeated. “My father was a merchant before he settled in our sector. He taught me.”

“You learned before you left him?” he asked skeptically. “At the age of twelve?”

“It’s not that complicated,” Ky spat.

“No,” Aleth agreed. “But I imagine pulling off a false sex for two years would be complicated. How’d you manage that one?”

Ky was silent for a long moment, shrugging. “Carefully.”

“Well, yes, I’d imagine so,” Aleth agreed sarcastically. “But how about you try a more informative answer?”

“What do you want me to say?” Ky snapped, defensive. “I play the part well. You didn’t suspect me yourself, until you happened upon it by accident as you raped me.”

“Tsk, such harsh language, Ky,” Aleth said, waving a hand dismissively. “Think of it as me teaching you how to have fun.”

“Nothing about that was fun.”

“Oh, I disagree, Ky. This is the most fun I’ve had in months.”

Ky shuddered.

Aleth looked down at his watch. “I suppose we’re running out of time here, huh? Alright. Let me tell you what, Ky. Here’s how this is going to work. You’re going to get up now and go back to your stable and pretend like nothing happened here.”

Aleth stood up and stepped forward to loom over her a moment, then bent and grabbed her arm and swiftly hauled her to her feet. He gave her a push towards the door. “And if you tell anyone our secret, I’ll make sure everyone hears about yours.”

Ky stumbled forward towards the door, pain stabbing through her abdomen with each step she took. She glanced back at Aleth fearfully, to see if he was following, but he’d turned back towards the desk. She opened the door, glancing back once more to ensure he wouldn’t pounce on her again, and then gratefully stepped out into the hallway.

Ky started running the instant the door closed behind her. She put her head down and sprinted through the halls as fast as she could, blinded by the tears that sprang to her eyes once again. She ran into someone, hard, half-way down the stairs.

“Ky, whoa!” Alcan put his hands on her shoulders. “What’s wrong?”

Ky ripped herself away from him and kept running. She sniffed, trying to slow the snot that poured freely from her nose, as she pushed open the castle door leading outside. She kept running as hard as she could, ignoring the burning in her lungs.

She ran the only place she knew where to go: the stable. She grabbed the ladder to the hay loft and quickly ascended, scrambling over the bales that were stacked high along the inner edge of the area. She scrambled next to the wall, under the sloping roof. Her foot slipped, tossing her down on her belly. It was the final straw.

The force on her stomach made her gag, and a moment later she was retching so hard her entire body trembled. She gurgled on the mucus still trickling down the back of her throat, and pushed herself back, until her shoulders were resting against the wall behind her, pile of vomit off to her right.

She looked up as she saw a pair of feet come into view. Alcan was crouched next to her, kerchief in his hand, brow worried as he looked at her uncertainly. He held out the scrap of cloth. She took it and wiped her face, and he sat down on her left.

Suddenly she dropped the rag and threw her arms around him tightly. He hesitated a moment, tensing. Her grasp never relented. So what if he felt the binding through her tunic? She’d be dead in a matter of hours anyway. The game was up.

Alcan slowly wrapped his arm around her shoulders, returning the embrace. “It’ll be okay. You’re fine; I’ve got you.”

Ky choked on a fresh sob that racked her body. He held her tight, humming a low melody, swaying slightly as he rubbed her back. They sat together a long while, until Ky’s breathing slowly returned to normal. She gradually sat back, grateful that Alcan left his arm wrapped around her shoulders.

“What happened?” Alcan asked gently.

“Aleth is strong…” Ky picked at the hem of her tunic, lowering her head to rest it on his chest. “And… he likes boys.”

“Oh, Ky…” Alcan hesitated. “He didn’t…?”

Ky inhaled sharply, sniffling, and snuggled closer to his chest. She forced herself to take a deep breath. “He did. And he… he figured out something about me… something that I haven’t told anyone. And if he decides to tell anyone…”

Ky trailed off, chest constricting once again.

Alcan hugged her tighter. “I’m so sorry, Ky, that’s absolutely terrible.”

Ky nodded.

Alcan was silent for a long moment. “What is it that he figured out?”

Ky hesitated. Even telling Alcan felt so wrong. And yet, she knew that he deserved to hear it from her – not the king, at her execution, and certainly not from Aleth. They’d been friends for years. Revealing her own lie was the least she could do.

“You’re going to hate me,” she murmured, voice barely audible.

“No, I’m not.”

“Even if you find out I’ve been lying to you from the moment we met?”

“We’re friends, Ky,” he answered, stroking her hair. “Nothing you say is ever going to change that. I swear.”

“Even if I said that I’m not actually a boy?” she swallowed. “That I’m really a girl?”

“Even then.”

Ky sat up, looking at him suspiciously. “Really?”

“Yeah.” He shrugged. “It’s not a big deal.”

“How is that not a big deal?” she asked incredulously, shocked at his nonchalance. “It doesn’t surprise you at all?”

“I mean… I kind of suspected it.” He shrugged again. “I hear tales that this strong-willed little girl from the Mountains stabbed the Lieutenant. And then she mysteriously disappears from the harem, right about the time that Rifkin brought me a strong-willed little boy from the Mountains to help out in the stables… and then you were always weird about us sharing a room, making me leave before you’d get changed, and what not…”

Ky gaped at him. “So, you’ve known from the start?”

“I mean… yeah.”

She suddenly began to doubt everything she’d thought she knew. Maybe she didn’t play her part that well, after all, if another stable boy had managed to piece together what had happened so easily. “Why didn’t you turn me in?”

“I told you, Ky,” Alcan said. “We’re friends.” 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Thu May 07, 2020 8:46 pm
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



Shady!


Hello! Status update: Aleth is The Worst and I officially Hate Him!!!!


but there was nothing to absorb the tears that soaked her face.


I know this is a very upsetting moment but I love the line good job *thumbs up*

“Sounds like you’re about done sniveling.”


in other news- *stabs*


I think I hate Aleth more than the Noot Noot man with is?? certainly an achievement. Should I congratulate you for writing an impressively hated character or ?


Ky looked up fearfully as Aleth stood from his desk across the room and strode towards her.


*holds out knife* stay back

“Now it’s time for some answers.” He stood over her, crossing his arms as he looked down on her. “Because I’ve certainly got questions.”


NOW YOU WANT TO ASK HER QUESTIONS???

She desperately wanted to spring up and sprint from the room – but he’d slammed her into the wall the first time she tried that, and threatened to throw her straight through the wall if she tried it again.


ugnjgknalfnsalfkSNAFLKASNFALKJFHWIOANDHAFSJA


By extension, I have to assume King Makata knows about Aleth's "secret" and doesn't care/is allowing it to happen, because Aleth has been fairly callous about visiting Ky and his attention directed her way. Which, of COURSE makes me dislike him too. I AM wondering what Aleth is going to do with this information (keep it quiet to keep her around I HATE that I thought of it like that but after everything he's done, it wouldn't surprise me), or if he'll tell Makata now that he's done with her. Either way, someone should just overthrow the monarchy and everyone in this place and have a complete revamping of the government and political leaders :)


“The simplest ‘why’ I suppose is that you caught my eye in the courtyard, looking all around when you clearly knew you shouldn’t. That’s not too much out of the ordinary, of course, but I noticed you’re a cutie, and thought I’d see what it would take to bed you.”


hooowwwww was she "looking around". she's got EYES you MOLDED SAGGY SOUR TOMATO. how is she supposed to NOT USE THEM.

also "what it would take to bed you" you make it sound like there was a choice involved?????????? god I hate him

“Tsk, such harsh language, Ky,” Aleth said, waving a hand dismissively. “Think of it as me teaching you how to have fun.”


I cannot express in words how much this man disgusts me and how much I loathe him.

Aleth looked down at his watch.


wait they have watches in this fantasy world?? I'M VERY HERE FOR IT!!! GIMME THAT FANTASY TECHNOLOGY

“Ky, whoa!” Alcan put his hands on her shoulders. “What’s wrong?”


OH PLEASE HELP HER SHE NEEDS A FRIEND SO MUCH PLEASE ALCAN

It was the final straw.


quite literally too im sorry ill leave also yes i do know its more likely hay but i had to

“Oh, Ky…” Alcan hesitated. “He didn’t…?”


aleth: now, ky, don't you tell anyone
ky, five minutes later:

(but good for her that she's talking about it! jerica, observe)

“Even if I said that I’m not actually a boy?” she swallowed. “That I’m really a girl?”

“Even then.”


I really appreciate that you didn't pad this with any dialogue tags or description because it felt like such an immediate response to her question. Like, he instantly reassured her, and it was very sweet, and I'm very glad she has a friend like Alcan <3

She suddenly began to doubt everything she’d thought she knew. Maybe she didn’t play her part that well, after all, if another stable boy had managed to piece together what had happened so easily. “Why didn’t you turn me in?”


Well, maybe the people who figured it out don't want to turn you in sO


I really appreciated the softness of the tone after she got to the stable and Alcan arrived. It was still utterly heartbreaking to see her so distraught and undone (understandably), but it was a quiet after all the really highly strung tension that's been going on since the beginning. Plus, we get to see more of Alcan and her relationship, which is really sweet and I really hope to see more of it, because I can already tell they're very close.

I have felt like everything that's happening with Aleth is not the main storyline (as I assume you wouldn't write a whole novel about,, you know. that), so I'm definitely starting to wonder what is. Maybe she'll uncover something about Aleth where she can bring him down. Maybe she and Alcan will run away to find somewhere better. I don't know.
There's still lots of intrigue around the circumstances that led Ky to this place in time, about her family, about Rifkin, and why she's in so much danger, but so far, besides Aleth, it's been a lot of running from and nothing ahead to work towards. This is the first chapter that I've started really thinking about where this story is ending up, and this is definitely a big inciting incident to kick off with, so maybe things will start heating up more soon and I need to just keep reading.

I just know you have a slight tendency, once your characters are in trouble at the beginning of a novel, to slow down the pacing and show the really gruesome bits for a while, and it can drag a little, especially if there's not much of a goal to be working towards (Jerica did have the goal to get back home, but Rana and Ky and even Jerica's goals were all pretty much "get out of this bad situation/escape/keep self safe". Which, again, understandable, but I figured I would point out that pattern to you. Do with it what you will :) ). Don't get me wrong, I love the gruesome bits! But I also want to see the characters thrive and the story flourish and see what kind of trouble the characters can kick up in their world!


Anyway, I hope that repetitive rant was SOMEWHAT helpful. I can't wait for the next chapter (the more I read, the sooner something bad will happen to Aleth :) )!

I hope you're having a wonderful time <3




Shady says...


(but good for her that she's talking about it! jerica, observe)


hahahaha

Thanks for the feedback! I do have a tendency to let the novel drag a bit after the initial conflict. As you're aware I've already posted the next several chapters of this so I guess we'll see how you like how I have it now lol If the pacing/motivations and such are less-than-satisfying please do let me know so I can address that on my next round of revisions. You're the best <3



User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



HNNNNNNNNG this man is disgusting and I want him eliminated. Anyone who calls this fun needs to be detained.

like UGH. THIS GUY. He's very smart, clearly, and mentally sharp. He knows his politics well, being a nobleman, and could read her person like a book. He could do ANYTHING IN THE WORLD, and this is how he entertains himself?? He even enjoys showing off how much he figured out about her. He's so full of himself. Has anyone ever stood up to him?! I'll bet there are rumors back at Aleth's home about him, even servants who confide in each other or a harem of his own.

What is his motive? Is he related to the lieutenant that she killed in the mountain? Does he have a particular interest in this event, or perhaps it's because of her that he now wants to know more about what happened? Maybe his estate and the land he lords over is near the mountains? Though he clearly said he had no care other than a disgusting interest in her, so it must all be entirely unrelated to the past event itself.

Now he probably thinks he's got a new toy. >:[

And what happens if he tells people her secret? She gets thrown back into the harem? Or does is she executed? I feel like being thrown back into the harem would mean she could just escape agai, but there might be worse results instead.

AND WHY CAN'T SHE JUST RUN AWAAAAY //sob

okay so I'm really happy about Alcan here.

We finally get to meet this boooi. <3 He must've ran after her because he appeared so soon after she had arrived in the stable. She must've been too busy crying to hear or notice him following BUT I AM GLAD HE DID. She really needed this moment, and the reader really needed it too. Alcan is far better emotional support than Rifkin.

I felt like this big reveal to Alcan happened a bit quick and almost nonchalantly. I think it's really just a pacing issue? Because the dialogue makes sense, the actions make sense, it just happens really... fast. I expected a pause after Ky mentioned she was a girl, Alcan's like "yeah I know" so then Ky would just be... confused. Maybe even repeat the secret again like, maybe he didn't know that was the secret she was trying to reveal.

“We’re friends, Ky,” he answered, stroking her hair. “Nothing you say is ever going to change that. I swear.”

“Even if I said that I’m not actually a boy?” she swallowed. “That I’m really a girl?”

“Even then.”

Ky sat up, looking at him suspiciously. “Really?”

“Yeah.” He shrugged. “It’s not a big deal.”


Here it is! So I feel like... I mean, a lot of this is spot on. But it just seems to move really quick. Alcan is, like, spot on. In an almost funny way, actually, like he's still waiting for this "big secret" she's been building up for. But Ky didn't seem shocked enough, or maybe it was the way she said the secret itself. It felt like an "example" more than the actual secret. The way the conversation flowed here, I expected Ky to repeat the secret or assume Alcan misheard or wasn't understanding her words right.

I do love, though, Alcan's reaction to this reveal. It's so perfect and clearly depicts how close they are as friends. We also get some background into how much they worked together and how close they actually were. Apparently, they DID work together. They even slept in the same space. Alcan is also just as intelligent as Aleth, almost equally perceptive, and I can see this evens out the playing field knowing Ky has someone like Alcan on her side.

Ky clearly has some cleverness to her, especially if she took out the lieutenant during the abduction and also managed to escape the harem. I certainly hope to see some of this personality in action soon. I feel like she's shown promise of a really strong hero in her background, so I really look forward to seeing that moving forward. She'll surely find a way to escape or find some motivation to protect herself!




User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:47 am
View Likes
keystrings wrote a review...



Hi Shady, I'm popping back in for another review in this novel. It took me a bit to write this review because I'm quite angry at the events that are referenced to, and I wasn't sure how to approach my feelings, but I am determined to keep reading this because I want good things for Ky and very, very bad things for Aleth, so here's to hoping eventually. This will be a shorter review, albeit because most of this chapter is about not-so-good topics.

1) I appreciate that we get a (very) small time skip and that what happens without consent is not explicitly shown, as that would be traumatic for both the reader and Ky twice-over. I can't imagine going through that as a fifteen-year-old girl or a person at any age, and I am an enraged that someone would want to do that and call it "fun" because that is horrible and awful and so many other stronger adjectives.

2) I really want Alcan to be able to support Ky further through this story, and help her not be stolen by Aleth, more so than he already has, or at least be able to continue helping her because this poor girl deserves all of the support. He seems like a good friend towards her, and I think he is only a little bit older than her, so I hope that she isn't simply snatched out of the castle/stables setting and forced to travel with the very evil man.

3) I hope that she doesn't let this event define her, and that her support (Alcan and Rifkin) can convince her of that, and that she is able to eventually wipe the slime ball that is Aleth off the earth one day.

4) Ky's perspective is written well in this as we get a good sense of her still trying to process what happened and trying to deal with Aleth going over all of her secrets like it's yesterday's news.

I hope that a positive thing can happen in next chapter, because the mood of this novel is definitely at a low. I'll keep reading in the hope that Ky is able to get to a better place and the bad guy is somehow dead. (possible suggestions = a sudden assassin! oh no!)




User avatar
142 Reviews


Points: 1992
Reviews: 142

Donate
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:47 pm
View Likes
looseleaf wrote a review...



**My Thoughts**

I want to put a gun against Aleths head and pull the trigger, seriously! Thinking rape was a way of teaching Ky to have fun?! Wtf.

**Formatting, Grammar, Punctuation, and Capitalization**

Fine, as always.

**Plot**

So, Alcan knew she was a girl this whole time! I know he has been a minor character, but wow. It sounds like he'll be playing a big role here on out. I was looking forward to seeing Rifkin in this chapter, but I really enjoyed having Alcan.

And people know she stabbed the Lieutenant! Well, I guess that's no surprise, but still!

**Characters**

Ky: Omg my poor baby. I feel so bad for her! Aleth is a horrible man and she did nothing to deserve this!

Aleth: So awful, I really, TRULY want him to go die. In a hole. Alone. With no one who loves him. And no one notices that he has died.

Alcan: Seems like a sweet guy. He really comforts Ky in her time of need.

**Quick Review**

Great chapter! Aleth should go die.

Keep on writing and have a wonderful rest of January!





I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman