z

Young Writers Society



Children with Stars in their Veins (Chapter 6.2)

by mellifera


a/n: hey, thanks for checking out Starry Veins! This is the novel I wrote for Round V of LMS, and it's still a first draft! While I don't discourage any feedback, I prefer not to receive feedback on grammar! I'm not polishing this draft up yet, so I'm not as concerned about editing. I am, of course, open to all feedback, but I ask that you keep this in consideration! Thanks <3

*

[Rowan]



The gathering hall was filled with strings of lights across the ceiling, curling around the great wooden beams above them, so that it almost resembled the night sky.

Rowan’s skirt curled around their legs, the deep navy velvet heavy but warm. Not that the groups of the guild members all clumped in the room wasn’t enough to stave off the chill of the rescinding cold.

It had been awhile since they had lost sight of Cassius, running off somewhere with Ember latched onto his hand. Probably to get into trouble, they suspected. They didn’t know where Alanna was.

But they did find Isadora, Ashael, and Mishal occupying the seating by the lit fireplace that shed an incredible orange glow and an intense, but not overwhelming heat.

Isadora was sitting on the floor with a small, brass-encased goblet of what was more than likely water in her hands, leaning her hand back on Ashael’s knee. She was wearing a simple, but elegant white dress that curled around her neck and flowed like ice down to her skirt. Her hair was loose, or it was now because Ashael was running his hands through it in a soothing motion.

Her eyes were shut as they approached, and Mishal was facing away from Rowan, but Ashael glanced up and offered a shy smile. He was wearing a nice, grey vest and pale blue trousers that brightened his mousy brown hair well.

“You can’t hide from him all night,” Isa was saying. “You’re going to give him a proper goodbye, regardless of what you may think.”

Mishal leaned back in his seat. He was wearing a dark crimson suit with gold buttons. This was honestly the nicest dressed that Rowan had ever seen everyone, but they suspected it wasn’t all for Cassius’ sake.

“Cassius won’t care if I don’t,” Mishal replied. He still hadn’t noticed Rowan, who was leaning on his chair now. “Why is this such a big deal?”

“Are you really going to let him have the last word?” they asked, as if they had been apart of the conversation the whole time. Mishal startled, turning to glance up at them, while Isadora opened her eyes slower and lazily. Rowan raised an eyebrow at Mishal. “Give him a polite goodbye, leave it at that? He’d be devastated.”

They threw a leg over the arm of the chair and leaned back against the chair, draping themself behind Mishal. They rested an elbow against the back, and then put their cheek on their hand.

“Is that worth whatever he’ll have planned for the next time we see each other?” Mishal asked, but looked considerate of their idea.

Isadora rolled her eyes and sighed, tilting her head back on Ashael’s leg. “Just tell him happy birthday, at the very least.”

“I wish I could come with you,” Ashael said quietly, glancing towards the fire with a frown. “I’m going to miss you, Isa. And all the things that could be recorded! There’s a world of interesting things, artefacts and legends, out there.”

Rowan grabbed Mishal’s goblet off the table, reaching over him to get it, and raised the glass as if toasting. “Likewise.” They took a sip of Mishal’s drink and then wrinkled their nose. “Are you seriously drinking milk right now?”

Mishal snatched his goblet back. “You ate beetles a few weeks ago,” he sniped.

Ashael’s head snapped back over to where Rowan was draped across Mishal’s chair, and he made a face. “Seriously? That’s disgusting.”

Before they could defend their actions—as if they needed to—a white gleam caught their periphery vision. They turned to see Cassius walking over, sans Ember. His hair was still more or less tamed, curls in an orderly manner around his head, but the usual flare about his person was dimmed. Or, perhaps the better word was forced. He seemed subdued as he approached, darkened in an amber wash by the firelight.

“Hey, Rascal, happy birthday,” Ashael greeted with a grin. “When did you even get so tall? You kids are growing faster than I can blink.”

“You could have chosen any compliment, and you chose height? Cassius is shorter than I am,” Rowan chimed in. They grinned at Cassius as he shot them a glare and winked. It was true anyway, they didn’t know what he was so huffy about. Cassius was only an inch or two taller than Ember.

Isadora made a disapproving noise. “Leave him alone,” she said. She made a beckoning motion to Cassius. “Happy birthday,” she murmured when he approached her, and pulled him down to sit beside her. She pressed a kiss to his forehead, disrupting his curls, but Cassius looked a little less put out.

“Do you feel older?” they asked, pushing themself off the back of the chair to sit up. The better to see and have a conversation with the two on the floor.

Cassius shrugged. “It’s not like something monumental happens. I’m a day older than I was yesterday.” He leaned into Isadora’s arms as she put one around his shoulder and looked drowsy.

Mishal stood up, tapping a finger against his goblet. “I should go find Mum, she said she wanted to talk to me earlier.” He turned to leave, and when he was facing away from Cassius, they watched as his face screwed up for a moment. He turned again. “Happy birthday, Cassius. You look nice.”

If Cassius had looked sleepy moments earlier, he looked immediately awake now. He squinted up at Mishal as if he’d spoken a foreign language. “Did you just say something nice to me?”

They slid down into the chair, warm from Mishal’s occupancy, for a better view of the sour look on Mishal’s face. “I’ve said nice things to you before.”

“You yelled at me in the library last week for being there,” Cassius said.

“You were distracting me.”

Cassius’ face wrinkled and Isadora sighed. “I wasn’t doing anything! You just like to yell at me because you think I’m stupid!”

“As fun as watching you two snap at each other is, I’m going to find something to drink. I’m parched.” Rowan stood and patted Mishal’s shoulder, pinching him as they did so. “Don’t kill each other before the exciting undertaking.”

They slid away from the impending disaster with the knowledge that Isadora was there and would, most likely, be able to diffuse the situation. Or at least shoo Mishal away.

Alanna had come in with them, Cassius, and Ember, after they had all finished getting ready together, but they hadn’t seen her since. If she wasn’t with Isadora… well.

They hadn’t seen Margaretta all night either and a few of the council members were missing as well. Granted, it was a birthday celebration, and there was an expedition set for leaving they probably had to prepare for. Still, the guild was a modest size. Enough to fill the bones of the once abandoned Citadel and make a home there, but nothing more. The idea of a historian’s life, especially when so much history was erased from the beginning of time and so much was lost in cursed ruins, wasn’t appealing to most.

It took a detour to get their own goblet—of sparkling cherry cider, they had more taste than Isadora and especially Mishal—and asking around before they found Alanna off by herself. She was sitting along the alcove of the stone wall, big enough to fit her as small as she was, with her knees tucked in front of her. Her hair was braided back, their own work, in pretty twists, and fell over her soft red dress.

She was sulking.

They sat down in front of her, tipping their feet back so their toes touched the ground, and leaned back against the stone wall. “I know for a fact that you don’t dislike Cassius enough to hide from him during his own birthday,” they said.

Alanna didn’t look up. “I don’t. I was with him before, anyway.” The consternation on her face deepened. Then, under her breath, she mumbled, “I don’t want Belle and Stormy to leave.”

Rowan let out a long, silent breath through their nose. They extended an arm, and the gesture must have caught her eye, because Alanna glanced up. She eyed them for a moment, and then threw her legs over the side of the platform and scooted over until she was tucking under their arm, head resting on their chest.

“Hey, little Pika?” They swallowed, resting their head on Alanna’s. “I don’t want them to leave either. I don’t think anyone does.”

“’Cept Miss Guildmaster,” Alanna said. She kicked out her legs. Then she shuddered, and it was so slight that they almost mistook it for the jerking from her legs. But no— she was shivering. “They’re our family, Ori. They’re our family, and they’re going to leave us. They can’t leave us, they can’t leave me, they can’t…” She trailed off in as a sob bubbled up from her throat and buried her face into Rowan’s shoulder.

They wrapped their arms around her and played with a strand of her ebon hair.

The worst of this was that they couldn’t say anything. What were they going to say? They wanted to reassure her, they’ll be back, we’ll survive, we’ll be waiting right here, but the words caught in their throat.

This was the last night that they would all be together, and Rowan couldn’t even give Alanna the comfort she needed. They should be with the others, while they could.

Maybe that was it. If Alanna could see Isadora and Mishal, she’d be distracted for a little while.

When Alanna had more or less collected herself, still snuggled against Rowan, they cleared their throat. “Why don’t we go find the others? Make sure that Cassius isn’t getting up to no good? Maybe Stormy will tell you about what happened in potions lesson the other day.”

She hesitated a moment before she nodded and pulled away from them. “Yeah, um. I’ve got something I wanna give to Raz anyway.”

They helped Alanna hop down from the alcove with their best gentle smile. Then they took her hand and led her back towards the fireplace as she swiped at her glistening cheeks.



word count:

1,709




Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Scribberzini!

I'm back! And I'm excited! Definitely didn't just notice that I only call you mel when I'm sick xD

stave off the chill of the rescinding cold.


The chill of the cold.

flowed like ice down to her skirt


I get what you're going for here but it was distracting to me because I was like ice doesn't flow??? Is a solid???

Mishal snatched his goblet back. “You ate beetles a few weeks ago,” he sniped.


ahahaha where's the lie?

pinching him as they did so.


You have your characters pinch a LOT, just something to be aware of.

~ ~ ~

I really like how soft and reflective and contemplative Rowan is. They are a really peaceful character and it's a soothing contrast to your other more hot-headed characters.

Nicknames! I saw the response as I was writing this and figured may as well address that here. If your other readers did not take issue with them then they're probably fine. I know I'm not anywhere close to your first set of eyes on this. I just feel like, idk, I try to keep characters to a pretty limited set anyway to make it easy to keep track of who is who.

I actually really like that you have a bunch of characters here because they play off each other SO well and you did a really good job at finding their own distinct voices. I like the dynamics you've set up. You're doing a good job of making me like them all and want the best and I ALSO don't want Isadora or Mishal to leave xD But I have a distinct feeling that something is going to happen to disrupt them having a smooth departure.

So, tl;dr if your other readers can keep it straight then go for it. I am notoriously bad at character names to begin with. But I'm not entirely sure who Raz is. I know that nickname was used before. I think Cassius? But I also can't remember Ember's nickname off-hand so not sure about that.

Really enjoying this story! Happy RevMo to you!

~Shady




mellifera says...


The chill of the cold.


i cri how did nobody else make fun of me for this

You have your characters pinch a LOT, just something to be aware of.


Image

But I have a distinct feeling that something is going to happen to disrupt them having a smooth departure.


aw shady why would you think I would ever do something like that? it is all peaceful and happy in my novels c:


Raz (short for Rascal) is Cassius, and Ember is actually her nickname (her for real name is Eugenia but don't tell her I told you)! I honestly was kind of thinking about them already, and a few people have brought them up with a few different perspectives, so I might figure out how I want to handle that and if I really need them all to have nicknames in the next draft or if I want them to be a lot more lowkey or what.

Was desperately trying to avoid "cass" because I have,, three characters whose names start with Cas/Kas and I didn't want to use the same nickname three times, but honestly I think I'm just going to go for it xD the characters wouldn't know that, so honestly it doesn't make sense for them NOT to call him Cass (also I think I used to later?? idk you'd think I'd remember my own novel but no)


I'm!! very glad you're enjoying it though!! makes me very Soft :') I greatly enjoy and appreciate your reviews as well (also sorry you weren't feeling great for the last one!! I meant to say something but I responded way later after I saw it and forgot rip)

Happy RevMo to you too!! <3



Shady says...


Ahaha I mean fair, I decided to rename noot-noot man in this draft of BtD and kept having to smack myself away from Ky and Ae and Rik names xD I don't think Raz is bad! That one makes sense and is cute! I also like Ember is consistently called by her nickname. Maybe if I understood a bit more where the other nicknames came from they'd make more sense???

And thanks! I think it's just a cold but I had to get a COVID swab today just in case and is making life hard as TA >.>



mellifera says...


THE NOOT NOOT MAN

we'll see! I might keep Rascal as like, an occasional thing they call him, while Cass is my shorter nickname? they really just kept choosing nicknames for each other over time in accordance to personalities/interests, there's not like, significant lore. Isadora loves the sound of bells, Mishal has a "stormy" personality (that was garbage because I couldn't think of a better one lol), Rowan loves birds (Oriole), Cassius is a rascal, Ember because of her blacksmithing and also does not like most people calling her by her given name, and Alanna is Little Pika because she's Baby and pikas are adorable

oh nos!! hopefully it's just a cold and passes quickly <3 *sends recovery vibes*



User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 am
View Likes
starlitmind wrote a review...



Hey you <3 I'm back for the next part!

It had been awhile since they had lost sight of Cassius, running off somewhere with Ember latched onto his hand. Probably to get into trouble, they suspected.


Why am I not surprised? xD

She was wearing a simple, but elegant white dress that curled around her neck and flowed like ice down to her skirt.


Ooh, nice description! c: For me, "flowed like ice" isn't working for me because I see ice as rigid and not really flowy

“You ate beetles a few weeks ago,” he sniped.


Ah yes, how could I forget

He seemed subdued as he approached, darkened in an amber wash by the firelight.


Pretty description <3

“Happy birthday, Cassius. You look nice.”


AW yay, finally <3 that's nice. We get to see that despite the fights the two frequently have, they really care for each other.

pushing themself off the back of the chair to sit up. The better to see and have a conversation with the two on the floor.


Is "the better" a typo or is that a legit phrase? cx

Then, under her breath, she mumbled, “I don’t want Belle and Stormy to leave.”


AWW NOO </3 Literally everyone is in such a sad mood about their leaving. I like you make I think all? of the characters express their sadness about the two's departure. It's really nice since we can see that these characters are really, really close and have never really been apart from each other

“Yeah, um. I’ve got something I wanna give to Raz anyway.”


I'm pretty forgetful, and there are so many nicknames that I forget who is who xD Like Harry said, I think it would be really cool if we could see how they got those nicknames! c: Maybe we'll get that in a future chapter? :o

And that's it! I feel like every chapter is focusing or heavily mentioned the peeps leaving for the expedition, but it's still not coming cx There's so much buildup going one cease of that, so I'm really excited for the two to leave on their expedition! Although then everyone is going to be super bummed :( but I want to see what's in the ruinsss....

Overall. this is another lovely chapter! I hope Cassius gets to enjoy his birthday a bit <3 I'm interested to see where this goes, and I hope this helped! :D

Image




User avatar
4129 Reviews


Points: 260826
Reviews: 4129

Donate
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:15 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Three fourths of the way through the day's reviews.

First Impression: Very sentimental sounding chapter this one. Still feels slightly stagnant but then that's probably because this is part two of the earlier chapter.

Anyway, on with the review,

Isadora was sitting on the floor with a small, brass-encased goblet of what was more than likely water in her hands, leaning her hand back on Ashael’s knee. She was wearing a simple, but elegant white dress that curled around her neck and flowed like ice down to her skirt. Her hair was loose, or it was now because Ashael was running his hands through it in a soothing motion.


Lovely descriptions for all the clothes.

“Are you really going to let him have the last word?” they asked, as if they had been apart of the conversation the whole time. Mishal startled, turning to glance up at them, while Isadora opened her eyes slower and lazily. Rowan raised an eyebrow at Mishal. “Give him a polite goodbye, leave it at that? He’d be devastated.”


I love this little relationship between Cassius and Mishal. Sounds like they will make a great team in the future.

“I wish I could come with you,” Ashael said quietly, glancing towards the fire with a frown. “I’m going to miss you, Isa. And all the things that could be recorded! There’s a world of interesting things, artefacts and legends, out there.”


On a side note I really hope you explain how all these nicknames came to be. They seem really interesting and I'd love to know the stories behind them.

Isadora made a disapproving noise. “Leave him alone,” she said. She made a beckoning motion to Cassius. “Happy birthday,” she murmured when he approached her, and pulled him down to sit beside her. She pressed a kiss to his forehead, disrupting his curls, but Cassius looked a little less put out.


And another reinforcement of their relationship. I love how despite the huge amount of characters you've made sure we can distinguish each one and the relationships they have with each other. That's a really hard thing to do with so many characters.

If Cassius had looked sleepy moments earlier, he looked immediately awake now. He squinted up at Mishal as if he’d spoken a foreign language. “Did you just say something nice to me?”

They slid down into the chair, warm from Mishal’s occupancy, for a better view of the sour look on Mishal’s face. “I’ve said nice things to you before.”

“You yelled at me in the library last week for being there,” Cassius said.

“You were distracting me.”

Cassius’ face wrinkled and Isadora sighed. “I wasn’t doing anything! You just like to yell at me because you think I’m stupid!”


This is just so well written. You have an amazing talent for dialogue to make it so natural.

They hadn’t seen Margaretta all night either and a few of the council members were missing as well. Granted, it was a birthday celebration, and there was an expedition set for leaving they probably had to prepare for. Still, the guild was a modest size. Enough to fill the bones of the once abandoned Citadel and make a home there, but nothing more. The idea of a historian’s life, especially when so much history was erased from the beginning of time and so much was lost in cursed ruins, wasn’t appealing to most.


So this should probably be explored later. What this whole guild is about and what it represents. It's been about six chapters and so far all we've been told is that they're historians.

“’Cept Miss Guildmaster,” Alanna said. She kicked out her legs. Then she shuddered, and it was so slight that they almost mistook it for the jerking from her legs. But no— she was shivering. “They’re our family, Ori. They’re our family, and they’re going to leave us. They can’t leave us, they can’t leave me, they can’t…” She trailed off in as a sob bubbled up from her throat and buried her face into Rowan’s shoulder.


This is all really touching and sets the stage beautifully for the expedition to come.

Okay that's that.

Overall: Even though the pacing is sometimes a tad too slow it does a great job setting the story up and showing us each individual character and relationship.

As always take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:56 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



Awwwwwwwwww this was so cute in so many waaaays.

I really like the choice of using Rowan's POV here so we can get an outside perspective of everyone else and how they're all dealing with their emotions. Rowan definitely seems like a unique personality in that, while they do cherish their friends, they don't seem to really dwell in their own emotions too much, while everyone else is so caught up in the idea of being alone and sad. So I think Rowan was a really good choice here.

We FINALLY get to meet Ashael. Seeing him and Isadora together was super cute, and it showed a lot of love between them in just this small glimpse of their relationship. I think it was mentioned before that he worked in the library, or maybe he was just there at the time, but I like that this is still relative to his character. He's very scholarly, much like Rowan, and it's probably for the best we didn't dwell on the relationship between Rowan and Ashael, but I am curious how Rowan feels about Ashael on the scholar front. They obviously both wish to go on this journey, but a lot of times, scholars can really criticize each other and even debate topics of interest. These two have a lot of interest in the ruins, so I wonder if they share similar opinions or if they have entirely different approaches to the theory behind them. Or maybe they could potentially work together, each having expertise in different areas of the topic that complement each other surprisingly well.

My brain clearly went in a direction this chapter was not meant to cover. BUT I FOUND IT FASCINATING NONETHELESS. It's DEFINITELY noteworthy that the two wish to go to the ruins. They both fantasize going there and studying the history behind them, and both have been overlooked for this opportunity. :(

Also, Ashael's reaction to the beetles thing. XD His mention of Cassius getting taller is also curious. I thought at first it was just a tease, but perhaps either Cassius had a growth spurt or Ashael just doesn't normally see these guys much. Though I think Cassius also mentioned not too long ago that he had learned a new word from Ashael, so it can't have been that long since they saw each other. I'm gonna say it's a tease and stop overthinking it!

Tiny comment that either Isadora is not drinking water or she is drinking water after having drank a lot of choice, non-water beverages. >.>

It would have been hilarious if Ashael witnessed Mishael yelling at Cassius for being at the library.

POOR ALANNA THOUGH. I want to talk about Alanna because she is just adorably sad, and I know how much she loves Isadora and Mishal and I don't want her to be sad but she is and I just. She is just so young and caught up in this idea of losing the people she loves, afraid of a future without them because she's never known a life without them and I just. I just want to hug her, she is just so young and confused and sad. And I feel like she's just been this level of sad for a while now that I don't really remember her relationship with Mishal much at all without sadness, but she mentioned him leaving as well (I think Mishal is Stormy) and it'S JUST SO SAAAAD.

And also taking this moment to reflect on Rowan's feelings, for just an internal moment, was a really good idea. It's a really good opportunity to get a brief look into Rowan's heart before they push past their emotions again for the sake of their friends. They show a lot of maturity and emotional intuition that... I actually feel like the kids will be okay with Rowan around to half-monitor them. They're no leader, no, but they're supportive and a good problem-solver. They think rationally yet care for their friends.

HNNNNG it's so sad and beautiful and I just <3




User avatar


Points: 39
Reviews: 4

Donate
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:25 am
View Likes
RosalynWilde wrote a review...



This story is a wonderful concept, however it requires more emotion. It seems a bit stiff. I do love the imagery, and the vocabulary! It isn't as engaging as I'd like to hope, and it can be a bit difficult to continue reading. I would suggest the use of more expressive vocabulary, and using less complicated words. It makes the overall look a bit dull. Other than that, the story is brilliant and interesting, and you should definitely continue! I'm looking forward to future chapters!





shady and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws
— Tuckster