z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Our Society of Ridicule

by VegasLights



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 pm
View Likes
rosette wrote a review...



I LOVE THIS

It's so horribly true, and I'm so sick of the ridicule and hate consuming everyone. You make mention of some valid points in here, which I really appreciated. And loved.

What I noticed with this poem is it's so straight forward and direct, which I like, but I do think some showing, instead of just telling would also be effective. This society is full of ridicule - how? What imperfections do we hate? I think more can be said than what is just in this these few lines. Obviously you don't want to write a full sermon out to us :P, but I think some included details and descriptions would help.

One aspect of this poem confused me a bit, and that was the four closing lines. I think it's a lovely, solid ending, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. "We ask the wrong questions" - what wrong questions? What wrong questions are we asking? Is this a wrong question? (xD sorry, couldn't resist) Then, the very last line states "And expect them to be answered". But if I am going to ask these questions you have proposed... I don't really expect an answer. They're hard questions, and I don't think they can be answered easily.

I'm not sure if I made my point clear, but I hope I did. >.< Thank you for sharing this poem with us, and keep up your writing! :D

cheers for now!
~rosette




User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:22 am
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing this poem describing your discontent about the human tendency towards irrationality as expressed in ridicule. The question is why do people feel a NEED to ridicule. It speaks about people calling out their brothers.

I imagine that this calling out is based on differences in theological perspectives which cause one side to see the other as hypocritical. Such a notion can lead people far beyond just ridicule-it can lead them into persecuting others or even to killing them as is shown by the holy wars during which Protestants and Catholics massacred one another. Also the inquisitions where Christians who didn't hold a certain belief deemed essential were roasted alive in public. So the answer to your question is that they feel it their moral or else religious duty to ridicule and condemn.

The poem tells us that this is wrong. That there is no moral justification to target others that way. Which is true. But it is good to be reminded and the poem does that very well.





You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen