z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The New Hero: Chapter One

by Danni88


A/N This is a bit short, but I promise the next chapters will be longer. Feel free to be as harsh as you like! PM me the answer to the equation and I will donate 20 points to you!

"Carly! Scarlet! Earth to Scarlet!"

Scarlet snapped out of her daydream and looked up to see her glamorous older sister Thalia standing in front of her with her arms folded.

"You were supposed to look after my nail polish! Where is it?"

"It's only nail polish!" Scarlet exclaimed, holding her hands up in surrender. "I'll have a look. It's probably under something."

"Well, find it," Thalia huffed and stalked out. 

Scarlet sighed. Her siblings were so annoying. Thalia was a goth queen, her eight-year-old brother Joe was a mess on legs, her twin sister Penny was a nightmare, and to make matters worse, there was another one on the way. Baby Layla was due to pop out in a few weeks, and Scarlet was not excited. The family didn't need any more annoying kids.

Her phone buzzed with a message. It was from Ebony.

Need to talk to you URGENTLY! Meet at my place in 5?

Scarlet groaned. She'd have loved to go over and hang out with Ebony, but Mrs. Preston had given her heaps of homework which all had to be completed that evening.

Sorry - got to finish my homework. Tell me at school tomorrow? x

She picked up her maths book and turned to page 115. Use FOIL to calculate this equation: (a+3)(a+7). 

She sighed. It was going to be a long night. 

At about 8.30pm, Scarlet finally closed her book with a relieved smile. There. Done. She changed into her pyjamas, brushed her teeth and was about to get into bed when she happened to glance out the window and stopped in her tracks. Across the road, Ebony was walking towards the thick copse of trees that led to the woods. She was glancing around nervously. If it had been anyone else Scarlet would have thought nothing of it, but it was odd for Ebony to be doing this. Her best friend hated walking in the dark, and she always went to sleep at about seven pm so she could wake up early for school. Why was she wandering around now? 

Scarlet watched as Ebony entered the copse and was lost from view. She stayed there for about five minutes longer, to see what happened, and was about to give up and go to bed when a fox walked out of the copse. Scarlet gasped in excitement. Her friend Jake had told her he'd seen foxes wandering around, but she'd never seen one before. She fumbled for her phone and took a quick picture to show him. 

The fox looked around, as if checking for danger, then bounded off in the direction of Ebony's house. Scarlet waited a little longer to see if Ebony came out, but there was no sign of her. Eventually she gave up and went to bed, but she had a funny feeling something strange was about to happen. 

And she was right. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:46 pm
FantasyWriter76 wrote a review...



Hello, Danni88, I'm FantasyWriter76 or Fantasy76, if you preferred. I decided to review your story on my journey to two review stars, so let's get into it.

Now there isn't much content to review here, as even you said,

This is a bit short, but I promise the next chapters will be longer. (...)

So this review will be shorter than most of my others so here we go.

The Positives
Intrigue! Nice! And cliffhanger? Awesome! I love it when writers use great hooks to get the readers... well, hooked! I myself use hooks and cliffhangers, so we have something in common. I'll be looking forward to reading more from this story. Also, this story is surprisingly polished, so good job on that.

The Negatives (Remember: ART IS SUBJECTIVE!)
There isn't much here to say besides nitpicks and some confusion on parts.

One thing I will say though is that we, as the collective group of readers, don't know what our protagonist and Ebony look like. A small description would be nice, then again, I am quite guilty of this, so don't sweat it.

Nitpicks and confusion here, not that important, so you can skip this. Is Scarlet's last name Carly or is that a nickname? Also, some small punctuation stuff and all.

Well, it was an interesting read, so I hope you continue it. Now for my arbitrary rating of your story. You get 4 suspicious foxes out of 5 (4/5). I hope you enjoyed the review and I hope you have a FANTASTICAL day.
-FantasyWriter76/Fantasy76




Danni88 says...


Thanks! You too! I am definitely going to work on my description, as a lot of people have mentioned it



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:19 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



This one next!

Specifics

1. I'm confused - why is Carly's name called as well as Scarlet? Is the speaker talking to multiple people? That's not clear. Or is the speaker Carly? If that's the case, it should be more like, 'Scarlet it's Carly! Earth to Scarlet!' - that would make it clearer.

2. I'm not sure if the twin is Scarlet's or if she is Thalia's twin? It possibly doesn't matter much yet but maybe make that clearer?

3. It seems a little obvious that the fox is Ebony? I think especially since you tell us it heads in the direction of Ebony's house. You could take that part out and make it a little more mysterious. I think it's always best to leave your reader wondering for just a little while!

Overall

Not a lot happens here which is okay because it's only the first chapter but it feels like we get a lot of introductions thrown in with not a lot of substance behind them. Like, the only characters I remember right now are Ebony and Scarlet and the rest have just dropped out of my mind because they were too briefly brushed over. I think it would be good to focus on just a few for now and to expand on the details you give us about those couple. That can be description, like little unique thing about the way they stand or maybe the way someone's hair dangles in front of their face at just the right level that it always looks like they might be about to eat it. Something which is a memorable/ unique description. Sometimes these are really simple things like a character who tugs on her hair when thinking but other times they can be a super defining trait like a sunburst of freckles on the nose or nails painted every colour of the rainbow except red and green and later you find out it's because the character is red/ green colour blind. Silly, quirky things like that can be really fun and can start to build our mental image of who this character is and how they think.

That's all I have for now but I'll be back to look at chapter four of Moonlight at some point!

~Heather




Danni88 says...


Thanks! The twin is Scarlet's



Rydia says...


I think if you change the order of Joe and Penny then that will make it clearer as the 'her twin sister' will eliminate her being Joe's :)



Danni88 says...


Done! :D



Rydia says...


Perfect :)



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 53
Reviews: 24

Donate
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:49 pm
SacredPen wrote a review...



Heya, it's ya boi, back at it again with another review!

(Okay, yeah, I know I haven't written a review on anything in literally beyond a year. I'm trying XD)

On that note, a look at this tells me that brevity tends to be a theme when it comes to introductions, which is admirable (considering mine personally take forever and go almost nowhere in terms of plot), because it establishes what we assume are important characters for the future, and perhaps even vital elements of the relationship between the main character and others.

However, I suppose the issue I take with it is the pacing. I found myself having to go back a few times to pick out details that would be important for later, other than the obvious (relationships, names, frequency of events, and such). It's not necessarily a bad thing that you'd want to be as casual as possible with the opening scene of a book, but I can say from my perspective that perhaps a little longevity and more of a focus on establishing something specific instead of a general day could do this work justice.

That, and the "she was right" portion. Foreshadowing tends to work better at the end of chapters and passages when not directly exposited as such, at least in the opening chapter of a book. From what I've seen, the only times such a direct reference to future expectations is useful is either when the events are so indecisive that even the reader can't guess at it and needs a bone from the writer, or when in particular contexts where the whammy outdoes the structure of the short-term foreshadowing. As the SAT would put it, that sentence is admittedly unnecessary, and the feeling of foreboding would be just as established by simply ending on "something strange was about to happen."

Other than that, this is an interesting opener and I may learn a thing or two on how to open a story from it and works like it, so keep it up!




User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 3476
Reviews: 125

Donate
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:39 pm
View Likes
LakeOfCancer wrote a review...



This was definitely intriguing, I can't wait for you to publish a new chapter of this! (:

But there was one part that confused me. In paragraph 6. The second sentence to be exact.

Scarlet sighed. She really despaired of her siblings.


This made me extremely confused. I had no idea what you were trying to say! Did you mean despise? Because that kinda makes sense, but it still doesn't really flow well.

Maybe you could fix that? Because that's all I really had to comment on. So like Isaid before, I can't wait to read more of this is the future! Tag me when you do! I'm excited to see what happens!

Keep up the fantastical work friend!

Oh crap, "D" is about to kill someone again! I gotta go!XD I might have a little trouble with this one!

~Lake :D




Danni88 says...


XD I%u2019ll fix it!



Danni88 says...


What the hell? Where did %u2019 come from?



LakeOfCancer says...


XD It's cool!



User avatar


Points: 788
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:41 pm
CarolineGlitterGirl wrote a review...



Heyyyyy Dan!! Thanks for the tag mate!!
K, this was quite short. Maybe add some to it?? I dunno.
I LOVE THE END SENTENCE!! Adds some suspense and mystery. I can't wait for the next one!!
I'm not sure how much relevance the nail polish scene has? Maybe add to that bit.
Love the way Ebony is acting odd! She's obvs hiding something.
Also, I solved the equation! Will PM you the answer.
I loved this! Tag me in the next one!
Caro xxx




User avatar
104 Reviews


Points: 4417
Reviews: 104

Donate
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 pm
Danni88 says...



@Rydia @KatieC @izanami @CarolineGlitter @Lake @SacredPen
Don't worry about being harsh, I really need feedback!





Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.
— Jin, BTS