Just Some Of The Things Supernatural Taught Me

by ladcat13

Family is everything.

-

The end does not always justify the means.

-

Death does not always mean goodbye.

-

What you think is good for someone may not be what they want. Always ask yourself whether or not you're doing it for the right reasons, or you may lose that person forever.

-

Hot Topical is a great place to shop for birthday presents.

-

Grief should never destroy you, nor should it drive you.

-

Taste and style is important in everything.

-

Good songs never die.

-

Never turn down help or comfort from your loved ones if you're in a bad place.

-

How low you sink depends on your actions, not your status.

-

A sense of humor can sometimes be a boon. Other times it can be a mask. Know the difference and you can save someone's life.

-

Hope has nothing to do with it. It's determination. It's unbreakability, and the refusal to give up that matters.

-

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. But not too close because... you know... they could stab you in the back. Enemies tend to do that.

-

Every human life is precious.

-

Lying is what gets us through the day, but it's also what gets us into a lot of trouble.

-

Love is blinding.

-

Stick to your guns, even when you can't see clearly what to shoot at.

-

Pie is good.

-

If you expect betrayal you will live a lonely, lonely existence. But never give your trust until it's been earned, and never give up because you've been betrayed.

-

You can tell a lot about a man by his car.

-

Life is full of blurry grey lines. What's important is to figure out which ones lead somewhere, and which ones take you to a dead end.

-

Every action has a reaction. Always consider the consequences of what you do and say.

-

If someone truly loves you, they will stay with you even after you break their heart. If you truly love someone, you will do the same.

-

Take care of your possessions. Especially your car. Above all else, the car.

-

Never go back on your word. C'mon, people, this isn't Wall Street!

-

Do what will make you happy in life, but never forget that you are not the only one who deserves to be happy.

-

Never give up because you think you'll lose. If you do, then you've already lost.

-

Winchester family motto: We'll figure something else out.

-

Family isn't just blood: it's love, devotion, and loyalty.

-

If there's a pizza man and a babysitter on the tv, turn it off. We all know where that's going.

-

The most terrible thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.

-

High-fructose corn syrup is in everything. Watch what you eat, kids.

-

Hatred and love go hand-in-hand. Never let one overpower the other, or it will be your undoing.

-

A person can be young but not youthful. A person can be aged but not old. Lives are measured in humanity, not years.

-

Never become too much of a cynic. This world will always surprise, delight, and horrify you anew if you have an open mind.

-

Caution and courage are one and the same.

-

No dogs in the car

-

Driver picks music, shotgun shuts their cake-hole. Backseat does not exist.

AutoPilot says...

:elephant: :elephant: eeeh :elephant: :elephant: eeeh :elephant: 'i' before 'e', especially after 'p'. :elephant: eeeh :elephant: :elephant: eeeh

I love finding fellow Spn fans...

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:21 am
Vasticity says...

the only thing i learned from supernatural is to not keep going for 10 seasons

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:08 am
AmazingAida wrote a review...

Wow. This is one of the best lists of what Supernatural has taught someone, and I must say, I agree.
In the short time it took me to watch all of Supernatural until the most recent episode, this show has really changed my lifestyle, making it's way into the way I think, speak, or even treat others.
Your list really conveys it all, you've picked the best parts, while adding humor, well done.
Unfortunately, in the real world, some things can't be true. Death is goodbye, at least in most cases, but I think that you most likely meant it in a metaphorical sense, as in that maybe they're dead but their soul is still here, or maybe they're not dead in our heart, or something along those lines of thought.
I liked the "Good songs never die" part.
*cough* Carry On Wayward Son *cough*
But now to sum it all up:
I like how you've selected the best parts of the show, and things that people can use in their everyday lives as well. All of these are true to some extent.
Good job!

Kale wrote a review...

Hello there and happy Review Day! I'm here also on behalf of the Knights of the Green Room since your work has been trapped in there for so long.

Since it's Review Day and the Green Room is quite packed, I'll be keeping this review a bit brief. If you would like a more in-depth review after the crazy reviewing rush, just let me know and I'll happily give you a more thorough one!

With that said, I haven't watched Supernatural, so I'm missing out on a lot of the context behind the items in this list. However, a lot of these read as being very generic and non-Supernatural-specific.

The best lists of "Things that X Work Taught Me" that I've come across and really enjoyed included very work-specific aspects that tied more general items directly into the work. Providing this sort of context to directly tie the lessons into the source helps make your own list stand out as being more memorable (and true).

For an example of what I'm talking about, the Cracked website has a lot of list-style articles that embody how a more specific approach can make something even funnier and/or more applicable.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:39 am

i think your right beacuse
a human can die but b biten by a vampire

ladcat13 says...

tru tho

Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:05 am
crobbins wrote a review...

I myself am a fan of Supernatural, so I relate to this quite a bit! I just want to let you know me and my friend read this, (we are both fans,) and agreed with a lot of them.

For example, I agree with these:

"Family isn't just blood: it's love, devotion, and loyalty."

"Pie is good."

Also, thank you for formatting this neatly. I know that it is just a list, and content matters more than format when dealing with lists. However, the formatting made it easier to read.

Thank you for writing this, I had so much fun reading this!
<3

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:59 am
ThePhoenix says...

The only thing I've learned from Supernatural.

Nobody. Stays dead.
Ever.
Except the bad guys.
And even they don't stay dead all the time.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:06 am
chhlovebooks says...

Nice! I don't watch this, but it's on my list of stuff to watch over Thanksgiving break.

ladcat13 says...

Then you must prepare yourself mentally and physically, for your life is about to experience great change. Follow the ways of Supernatural, young padiwan, and you can never turn back *Dum dum DUUUUUUUUUUUUUM*

chhlovebooks says...

Dude.... XD. Okay, I shall do so, great master!

ladcat13 says...

>u< jk, jk. You'll love it

chhlovebooks says...

:) I have read up on it, and I agree that I will most likely like it. Quick side note though, my TV is not really working (somehow my parents have it stuck on child mode so I've had Dora marathons for three days now) so is it found on Youtube? Thanks!

ladcat13 says...

I don't think you can find full episodes on youtube unfortunately >.<. However seasons 1-10 are found on netflix and you can watch netflix on phone and computer etc. I'm also not sure about all those questionable websites out there... I tend to avoid those... but if you're one of those people who uses those websites you might find seasons online. I've no clue. I just watch it on netflix. Best of luck to you

chhlovebooks says...

Thanks! We don't have Netflix (my life is not complete DX ) so I guess it is off to the Internet for me.

ladcat13 says...

Good luck, friend!

chhlovebooks says...

Thanks! Knowing the internet, I'll need it. =_=

chhlovebooks says...

Also, mind if I ever feel bored, I might come and chat with you? You seem to be one of the amazing few who actually respond promptly!

ladcat13 says...

Sure, I'd be delighted 8D

chhlovebooks says...

Yay, thanks! I just figured out that it might take longer than expected to find a source of Supernatural, as I don't have memberships to any TV or movie watching websites, and everything seems to cost money these days!

ladcat13 says...

Yeah, it's difficult to get the good stuff for less. We don't have any cable in our house anymore, we just watch Netflix, which is way cheaper and easier to use. My sister and I have marathons and knock out a season a day sometimes of tv shows XD

chhlovebooks says...

Lol, I do that too. Three or four hours between snack breaks of nothing but Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Hetalia, and various science TV shows. Random fun fact: Marie Antoinette never actually said "Let them eat cake!" or anything of the sort! She was actually very concious of the plight of her country, and donated generously to the poor. http://www.history.com/news/ask-history ... m-eat-cake and http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... -eat-cake/ are some links that help prove this! Hopefully these links work.

ladcat13 says...

Yeah, I heard something along those lines in history class, though I didn't know she donated to the poor. It's funny, all the things people think they know about history but actually don't.

chhlovebooks says...

Yeah, it is kind of amusing. I think one time, one of my friends said that Texas is the biggest state in the U.S.A. I mean, dude, FAIL! Alaska is about half as large as the entire U.S. , and your saying Texas is the largest state?! Hey, challenge for you: find the 50th state on the United States map, the District of Columbia. Sorry for all the United States themed stuff, it is where I'm from, so I know a lot of random stuff about it.

ladcat13 says...

Me too XD. I live a couple of hours away from D.C., actually

chhlovebooks says...

Oh cool! My school is having a week long field trip over spring break to Washington D.C. I live in California, so this trip to D.C. is going to be sooo cooool!!!! What sights do you think are the coolest to see?

ladcat13 says...

Definitely the Lincoln Memorial and/or the Smithsonian! The Smithsonian is chock full of cool stuff. I also love the Lincoln memorial because A) it's really very cool to look at and B) I admire Lincoln

chhlovebooks says...

I've heard of the Smithsonian. It sounds like a really cool place, and I think it is on the list of places to visit. According to the papers, we'll be up and walking at 6:00 in the morning, and back at the hotel at 10:00 at night. Apparently, we might be walking everywhere we go... urgh. But hey! It's Washington D.C. and it is totally worth it! At least I hope it is. Anyway, what kind of cool stuff is in the Smithsonian?

ladcat13 says...

They have a botanical garden and a zoo and a big aerospace exhibit where there's lots of things from the Space Race and NASA. They've also got history stuff, of course, and it's all fascinating

chhlovebooks says...

Scrub... that sounds so frogging COOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!! :D I can't WAIT to go! Even if I have to get up at 4 in the morning to board our flight, it still sounds worth it! Out of curiousity, is the botanical garden inside the museum or outside? Same for the zoo? *imagining an elephant stuck indoors and a giraffe in the elevator*

ladcat13 says...

Lol! The botanical garden has indoor and outdoor features, since the natural climate can't support all of the foreign things they have. The zoo is the same, of course- some inside, some outside. Most zoos are like that, I believe.

chhlovebooks says...

Not that I've seen. In the LA zoo, everything is outdoors except for the reptiles. The only exception with the reptiles are the crocodiles, some of the native lizards, the rattle snakes (those things are scrubbing HUGE! Almost as thick as your wrist) and the komodo dragons. Even the new leopords are outside.

ladcat13 says...

Huh. I guess that must be due to the climate over there- it's much warmer that a lot of places on the east coast. Most of the zoos I've seen have an outdoor exhibit for big things or things that can take the weather, and an indoor for things that are small or things that wouldn't be able to stand the cold

chhlovebooks says...

I guess your right. Your average summer day here can reach temperatures of 101 degrees fahrenheit. The coldest we get here, unless your in the mountains, is about 43 degrees. What's it like over there?

ladcat13 says...

Depends- in the south like the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida it's a lot like you guys' weather, but it's a lot more humid. In Virginia up to Pennsylvania there's hot summers in the 90's and cold winters with some snow and lots of days below freezing. In New England area the summer is a lot milder and the winters practically drown in snow. They all have their perks. In Florida they have a thunderstorm at about 2:00 in the afternoon at least once a week, sometimes more than once, and it's always near the same time! I think it's due to a convergent-front weather phenomenon, since the Floridian peninsula sticks out between two oceans. New England gets lots of cool-ish rain in the summer and tons of snow. I've always liked the cold better than the warmth (and I love rain) so I love going to Vermont and Maine. Pennsylvania and Maryland and around there is a nice middle ground.

chhlovebooks says...

I'm fond of cooler temperatures as well. I was born in Michigan, so I'm relatively used to snow. So far, the only states I've been to are California, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Plus Mexico, but I don't think that counts as a state. Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin all of similar weather. Usually, freezing winters where you can get up to a foot of snow in a single storm, and hot, humid summers. In Michigan, we always had to be on the lookout for mosquitoes during the summer, because the lakes were a great breeding ground for them There are a lot of things I miss about Michigan... :(

ladcat13 says...

Aww. Don't worry about it buddy. I don't often get nostalgic about mosquitoes, but you can bet you'll get some cold weather over here. I woke up this morning and it's 30 F degrees.

chhlovebooks says...

Lucky duck! Believe it or not, I'm the only one in my friend group who has actually seen snow. It's so sad! I bet the cold makes you kind of hesitant to get out of bed in the morning. We don't get it so cold out here, but I still hate getting dressed in Winter, or our pathetic excuse for a Winter.

ladcat13 says...

Oh you have no idea. I sleep way more deeply (and comfortably) in the winter and when I have to get out of bed it's the worst. I've started hanging my bathrobe up right next to my bed so I can wrap myself up without getting out from the covers. I take approximately ten minutes to even get out of bed and that's not counting all the crap I have to do to start my day

chhlovebooks says...

I hear you. Winter is so pretty, especially with snow, but the cold can be just plain awful. My bedroom is strange, because even some of the hottest days, it is always noticibly colder than the rest of the house (why that is, I don't know). Smart thinking by the way, about the bath robe. My parents seem to think I need to dress "normally" at least part of the day, so most of my pajamas are either shorts and T-shirt combos, or night gowns that go down to my knees at most. It makes the cold a pain the patoot in the mornings. Of course my everyday attire, for when I'm not sleeping, consists of tunics, turtle necks, boots, and thick woolen leggings, even in 100 degree heat, so I kind of get why my parents bought me all those cool summer pjs.

ladcat13 says...

XD same, tho. I have a Sherlock coat that doubles as a raincoat that I wear in summer and I almost never wear shorts, even in the heat. Jeans and/or leggings are where I draw the line

chhlovebooks says...

Oh cool! I have almost the same kind of coat, or rather, two coats. One dark purple rain coat that goes down to mid-calf and has a fabric belt that ties around the waist. It's hood is also attachable so you can take the hood off. My other coat is black, only it isn't a rain coat, and the coat doesn't come off. Other than that, they're the same. As for shorts,I HATE them. So much! ALL the girls at my school (minus me) wear short shorts that barely cover their rear ends! It's ridiculous! I mean, how do they not get dress coded for that!?!

ladcat13 says...

I know! All these schools are worried about 'those distracting shoulders!' but they let chicks with half their butt hanging out walk around like they're on the catwalk or something. The hypocrisy is sickening

chhlovebooks says...

Agreed! I found a funny post on the Internet a few months ago that fits this perfectly. I can't quote it exactly, but I'll give you an over view of what happened. A girl walks into school and gets dress coded. She gets suspended for a day, before she writes a letter to the teacher asking why she can't wear her slightly revealing outfit. The teacher replies, saying that such an outfit distracts the other students. The girl, in turn, tells the teacher that all the girls are fine with her out fit. Why is it that she gets suspended for distracting the boys? The teacher, slightly annoyed, says that the school's job is to help each child get the best schooling they can. Having distractions takes away from the learning experience. The girl answers, saying that the school must not care about girls, and only focuses on the boys, because she, as a female, lost a valuable day of school because the school decided that the education of the boys was more important than her education. (Meaning, she didn't get to go school for a day, on the school's orders, and the school has the nerve to say that they want what is best for ALL it's students. In reality, they only suspended her because they thought her presence would affect the schooling of the males.) The teacher never replies to the girl's response.

ladcat13 says...

Not surprising. I think an intelligent response like that is difficult to counter especially 'out of the mouths of babes' as they say. I just hope that girl got to talk to her principal or that he got to see those letters

chhlovebooks says...

Yeah, me too. Happt Thanksgiving by the way. Or as my parents say, Merry Thanksgive-a-ween.

ladcat13 says...

lol. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to you too

chhlovebooks says...

Thanks! So how was your Thanksgiving?

ladcat13 says...

Lots of fun as usual- the whole clan invaded my aunt's house because it was her turn to host. It will be my nana's turn for Christmas. We spent an hour before dinner playing a risk (which was a bad idea) and then after dinner my cousins and I took a walk together. There's twelve of us and I'm the oldest but there's four of us who are really close in age and we hang out all the time. How about you?

chhlovebooks says...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I had cousins my own age like you do. For us, our Grandma took us out to eat at this fancy restaurant call Dal Rey. When I say fancy, I mean it. As in, valet parking, total cost of our meal (for eight people) comes to about $400 kind of fancy. I was terrified the whole time that I might break something, or spill something, or pretty much get us kicked out of the restaurant in general so I just sat in my chair and trembled the whole time.

ladcat13 says...

Lol! I always feel like that anyway because I'm super clumsy. I could be at Olive Garden and still feel that way. Luckily I come from an English family so I have been strictly schooled in the ways of polite manner. Of course, that doesn't eliminate the fact that I am still super-clumsy

chhlovebooks says...

English meaning American and you speak English, or English meaning actually from England? Anyway, I'm relatively polite too. Even though my family may or may not be English, depending on what you mean by that, we are still a lot more polite than some other families I've seen. We are the kind of people who use proper grammer and punctuation when texting.

ladcat13 says...

English as in from England. My great-grandmother was fresh off the boat, my grandmother has an accent sometimes, and my mother was raised in the same household as my great-grandmother, so you can imagine how much of that rubbed off. And I'll admit to using abbreviations when texting to save time, but I sure as hell won't mix up 'your' and you're'. XD

chhlovebooks says...

XD It's cool that you have so much English blood in you. My mom lived in England for a year or two, and she said the food is horrible. A.K.A. steak and kidney pie kind of horrible. She also told me never to say "bloody" in England because it's the British equivelant to the average American's f**king. I know bits and pieces of various languages thanks to google translate and globe traveling relatives, and half my vocabulary is swear words!

ladcat13 says...

Lol I'm pretty much the same. It's funny how in the US if you say 'bloody' it's just funny and quaint and a substitute swear word, and the f-bomb is terrible, and in England it's almost the opposite. If I'm going to college in the UK I need to get out of that habit

chhlovebooks says...

Your going to to england for college? Luckyyyyyyyy! Which college do you wish to go to?

ladcat13 says...

I'm going to try. I hope I can go to a university in Scotland like Aberdeen or Glascow, but A) those schools are hard to get into and B) It's just hard in general to get out-of-country unless you're enrolled in an American school but on a study-abroad program. I just know that it's ridiculously expensive in America and I'm not up for that, so I say SCREW IT I'm going to Europe.

chhlovebooks says...

Cool! I've heard from my Mom that if your a legal citizen of Germany, you get to get into college for free. My Aunt has been there, but I've never been, so I can't verify that. I hope to get a career that will allow me to get out of the U.S. What career are you planning on?

ladcat13 says...

Either something in English language or something in Art/ Graphic design. I've always thought that being a comic book artist would be a fantastic thing- meeting in the middle, you know? Plus I'm a huge nerd, so that helps

chhlovebooks says...

Its kind of scary how similar you are to me, I've noticed. I, too, am a huge nerd and I am also into drawing. When I grow up (or rather IF I grow up-peter pan forever!) I want to either work in a STEM catagory, write, or work in some sort of manga drawing or animating thing.

chhlovebooks says...

ladcat13 says...

I've never been into STEM much but you can bet I'll never properly grow up. I'll probably be wearing my boyfriend's t-shirts at 2:00 in the morning baking cookies only eating the dough and not actually baking them even after I get out of college. Also, I will play with legos and follow all of the fandoms with my usual devotion. I will also yell at people while I am driving and call them poopyheads etc. What can you do, I mean, some people literally can't grow up.

chhlovebooks says...

XD I know , right? I'm the girl who squeals like a fangirl-in public-, reads manga and watches anime, has her mother stay with her until she falls asleep, climbs trees she really shouldn't be climbing, and forces anyone who swears at her house to pay a quarter to her swear jar. You can bet that there is no scrubbing way I will ever give up my imaginary friends either, even though I'm fourteen. Also, I so agree when you say some people can't grow up. Ever had that one kid in your class who just seems to act like a two year old, whether it be tattling to their teacher to throwing temper tantrums over tests? Yeah, I get a lot of those at my school.... O_O I mean, I'm all for not growing up, but some people... Anyway, you said "after I get out of college" earlier. I hope you don't mind me asking, but if you really are 16 as your info says, then how are you in college?

ladcat13 says...

Oh I'm not in college yet, I'm just thinking about those things, you know? I'm a junior so I've got to apply soon and all that crap

chhlovebooks says...

Oh, okay. I'm only in 8th grade so I won'y have to worry about that for a while. I still have to get good grades though. I think I would like school if it wasn't for all the homework they assigned us. Or the tests.

ladcat13 says...

Holy crap. Don't get me started on tests or homework. Our school system is broken, it's been broken for a long time. It pisses me the hell off

chhlovebooks says...

Broken meaning...?

ladcat13 says...

Outdated, irrelevant, unnecessarily difficult, and even damaging on children. I'm probably going to end up homeschooling my children, unless we're in another country. It's just healthier that way.

chhlovebooks says...

Huh... In California it is almost the opposite. They teach us stuff that matters to us, such as genetic stuff, algebra, and how to English good. On top of that, they give us extremely up to date stuff, such as computers and tablets to do our work on, as well as give us chances to go to high level science camps that are held at colleges and stuff. We might be in middle school, but they give us a say in how we govern ourselves too. We elect our leaders, such as ASB president, manager of budget (for activities), and presenters, who present ideas of the school needs to the people who run our district. I consider ourselves pretty well off overall, but I know not everyone has it so good. Out of curiousity, how is it like at your school?

ladcat13 says...

Well there's a lot of funding gap between some schools and others, and though some schools like the middle school and the local STEM academy have it well-off like that, other schools are having trouble. The sports department gets ridiculous amounts of the money while the art program has to fumble for scraps. The music program gets good enough funding but that's we work ridiculously hard and win the big bucks. Our sports teams are mid-par at best and yet the money keeps pouring in. Also, some departments like the math department have beautiful brand-new textbooks, but the history department's textbooks are falling apart. The administration has a hard time functioning because of split priorities, and everyone else gets stuck in the middle. Also, did you know that the standard public school curriculum were written in the late nineteenth century/ early twentieth century? That's what I mean by outdated. Also, with colleges in America becoming more and more expensive as well as selective and all of this pressure from these dumbassed standardized tests, students are finding it harder to cope. America isn't falling behind in academic world standards because we're dumb. We're falling behind because it's extremely difficult to succeed in the current system. Rating students based on their ability to take tests is like rating the different animals in the zoo based on their ability to climb a tree. The monkey would do fine. So would the cats and birds. But the wolves and giraffes and elephants and rhinos and frogs and god-knows-what-else would only have mixed success.

chhlovebooks says...

Huh, I have not thought of it like that. I suppose the school system IS rather difficult. However, I think that even if the system is nearly impossible to deal with for some individuals, there are some bright points. If school was easy to pass, then everyone would be able to apply for the best jobs, fools and geniuses alike. Fools who mess around would not have to try very hard, and smart people would never get smarter without a challenge. Difficulties, even though they can be hard to surpass, can prove to be useful, even if not everyone agrees. However, I do agree with the unfairness of out of date info and sports being priorotized above the arts.

ladcat13 says...

Plus standardized tests. You probably haven't had much of that yet, but mid-terms and finals and SAT's and ACT's and all that crap are terrible. All those tests are the worst, and they stress everybody out for no reason

chhlovebooks says...

Huh, that does sound pretty awful. We have all our tests on computers, even the math ones. It is worse than it sounds because, as you answer stuff right, the questions get harder. I've encountered stuff like square roots (crazy huge ones) in equations, calculus, and volumes of pyramids on the math ones, all of which I have no idea how to solve. At least (from what I have heard) you guys actually know the material and can study for it.

chhlovebooks says...

Hello? You still talking to me?

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus