z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

You Can't Buy Me

by erilea


Your golden hair once brought my legs out from under me

and I fell.

Fell into the mountain of dollars I climbed

to reach your cold, glass heart.

But you didn't let me in

you blocked me with your golden mansions

that reached the sky.

Your convertibles couldn't take our love where I wanted it to go

but it was all fake, like your crystal chandelier that hung

in your bedroom.

Those fifty-pound weights you used

to enlarge your muscles for every girl that passed

crushed my hopes.

But I've learned my lesson now,

not from the library full of books you owned,

but from you.

You weren't a good teacher

neither were the ones from your expensive private school

but I learned.

You can try buying everyone else's hearts

but not mine.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 2999
Reviews: 102

Donate
Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:25 pm
BellaRoma wrote a review...



Hey, Artemis28. I stumbled on this poem, I'm lingering because it reminds me of The Great Gatsby. The idea of wealth and a show to steal a girl's heart fits perfectly.
Out of curiosity, have you read The Great Gatsby? It doesn't matter really, but I'm wondering whether this is a coincidence.
I loved the premise, and don't really have any other suggestions for changes. I'm not a poetry person, you see...
Keep Writing!

~Bella~




erilea says...


I've never read The Great Gatsby, but thanks for checking this out!



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:39 am
View Likes
Dracula wrote a review...



Heya, wisegirl. :D

Your golden hair once brought my legs out from under me
and I fell.

You split this sentence is the best place possible. I paused between the lines, which added the right amount of emphasis to and I fell. It's a really good opening line.

Your convertibles couldn't take our love where I wanted it to go
but it was all fake, like your crystal chandelier that hung
in your bedroom.

I liked how you described the girl's feelings about his money and he uses it to 'buy' girls, like your title says. You've done a greatb job expressing that.

not from the library full of books you owned
At least he's decent enough to spend money on lots of books. :p

You can try buying everyone else's hearts
but not mine.

Excellent conclusion to the poem! You shoved it right in that guy's face.

It was well written, and I enjoyed reading it. :D




erilea says...


Thank you! Quite proud of this poem, actually.



User avatar
106 Reviews


Points: 614
Reviews: 106

Donate
Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:48 am
RituparnaBhowmik wrote a review...



this poem is absolutely wonderful, i practically see no flaws to correct and this is the first time i am saying this, i love the use of pun in the word " pound" and i also like the other connections you made... i particularity like the line "it was all fake, like your crystal chandelier that hung

in your bedroom.". keep writing , you have huge potential an a bright talent...
Rituparna




erilea says...


Thank you! I particularly liked this one. :D



User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 11196
Reviews: 254

Donate
Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:55 pm
Sonder wrote a review...



Hi, wisegirl! Lovely poem you have here.

Well, the theme here is pretty obvious. Riches cannot buy love or affection. It's an interesting theme, and I'm curious as to what influenced it. Anywho, I personally felt it could have been executed better. I felt that the rhythm was uneven and the periods made the poem more choppy. Some lines were long, some were short, some stanzas were four lines while the majority were three. Just something to think about.

When I started reading this, I thought of Rapunzel- with golden hair and all. But later in the poem it's pretty obvious that the person being described was a male. Perhaps mention that the hair was short?

And then there was this line:

and I fell.

Fell into the mountain of dollars I climbed...


I didn't like the repetition of the word "fell". Perhaps replace it with "tumbling" or another synonym, to make it different. That, or just get rid of the line "and I fell". Is it necessary? This is what I was wondering.

This other line also felt very out of place:
neither were the ones from your expensive private school


I don't know, it just felt kind of random to me. It fit in with the theme, but it wasn't as poetic as some of the other lines. Perhaps replace it with something more abstract?

So while I felt that most of this poem was decent, I did feel that your description game could be improved. Look up synonyms of average words and avoid cliches. Focus on describing, not telling. :)

Overall, I liked this poem. It has a good theme and I think you have the idea of freestyle poetry. Keep writing and being amazing! :)

~Night




erilea says...


Thank you.



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:48 pm
View Likes
EternalRain wrote a review...



Hi!
I'm going to start this review with nitpicks. So we shall start!

you blocked me with your golden mansions


'Golden' is used previously in the poem; I would suggest you change this adjective.

Really, that's all the nitpicks. Haha.

So. Wow. This poem had such a great message, and I thought you came across it very nicely. The imagery is actually quite good (awesome job on that).

One thing I might recommend is a little more emotion. You're more telling us how she feels, not showing us. Try to incorporate more emotion and feeling of this girl in here.

Overall, this was splendid!! I loved it a lot. Please keep writing poetry,

~ EternalRain ^.^




erilea says...


Yeah I definitely will.



User avatar
257 Reviews


Points: 6130
Reviews: 257

Donate
Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:29 pm
Tuesday wrote a review...



Hello CapitalMonday here for a review. i like to begin on the message of this poem is amazing and wise since when you think about it, the person in this poem is trying to get over the person that has a cold-hearten soul with the outside of a knight in shinning armor. Also how people could relate since we all have found love and didn't even mind what they have done bad to themselves; our hearts were talking for us.

Nitpick(s):

You weren't a good teacher
just a suggestion here that maybe you should change weren't to would never since weren't sounds like the present (in a sense) but would never sounds more the future (in a sense).

to enlarge your muscles for every girl that passed
i think you might want to change enlarge to something more more connected to the readers imagery sensors like hefty or better yet here's a link : http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/large. They could help you with why you might need for a word for large.

Overall, i believe that every person or reader who might read this, could really relate (including me) since we all have loved a person who was popular or wanting to be like them but realizing that you can't.

Farewell,
CapitalMonday




erilea says...


Yeah. So this poem is about a girl who once thought she liked this rich, show-off guy who was full of money, but broke up as soon as she saw him with someone else. So technically I could keep the weren't.




I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye