z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Them

by AfterTheStorm


They hear you, you realize.

They hear each fragile refrain of emptiness upon your lips,

the kind that derives from the most tangled roots of despair,

clawing and dragging and yanking even the bravest down,

down,

down,

until nothing remains but whispers,

broken fragments like shards of a bottle,

scattered along a white floor.

They remember every cry that echoed

inside of a glass room

as you realized you had been shattered irrevocably.

-

They see it, too,

the hollows of your eyes

and the pained smile

smeared on your mouth

in the finest red

which matches the streaks across that floor.

-

They know, I think,

what your mind tells you,

each whirlwind of beautiful thought rushing

and spinning

upon your consciousness

like the storm of some terrible night,

transforming each word into a monstrous beast,

urging you to believe that nothing whole remains.

-

But hearing, seeing, and knowing dramatically differ from doing,

and you’re far too gone already for them to carefully pick up the pieces,

so they sweep the shards under a carpet of concealment

then wash their hands.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 2003
Reviews: 62

Donate
Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:22 am
Poopsie says...



a beautiful contrast between the people we are on the outside to the people we are on the inside.




User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 29221
Reviews: 863

Donate
Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:22 pm
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hello! I've come to review!

So I can't say this was exactly gripping for me because I actually really have no clue what this is about. The stanzas feel disconnected, like they're talking about different things in each one, but a poem should be a cohesive unit, each stanza focused on different objects, perhaps, but certainly focused on the same subject.

Here, I see the same objects, but not really a subject to hold them together.

1st stanza: Talking and saying nothing, being broken because of it. Also, I know the title of your poem is "Them," but you must reveal the identity of Them at some point.
2nd stanza: Dressing up, similar to talking and saying nothing, however the red matching the red on the floor implies that the person has already been broken; are all the stanzas happening at the same time? Also, who is "they"?
3rd stanza: So they know that the MC's actually smart even though they broke her/him/xer? This is confusing.
4th stanza: The first line hints at clarity that we're not getting in the poem, but to me it does not connect to the rest of the poem. And the rest of the objects connect with earlier stanzas, but what do the objects mean?

I think that is where the issue lies. You don't provide clues as to what each object symbolizes. Yes, we have an overall feeling of brokenness and emptiness, but symbolism is the concrete visualization of abstract qualities. So you need to provide clues as to what these concrete symbols represent. That way, your objects will connect and make a more cohesive poem altogether.

Some of your imagery is beautiful, particularly the imagery in the third stanza. However, some of it seems clunky. Let's take the second to last line:

a blanket of concealment
The phrase as I know it is "to sweep it under the rug" meaning to cover up a secret without really doing anything about it. You probably wanted to avoid a cliche, but really, you only made it obvious that you were avoiding a cliche here.

The sort of catharsis at the end is nice, the reversal to the blank state at the end of the poem.

Altogether, provide clues as to what things really are (including "them"), and connect the stanzas more, as right now, they're a bit jumbled. I hope that this review proves useful to you! Happy poeting!






Thanks, mag. I'll read back over this and implement some of your suggestions. :) I thought that the repetition of showing the character's emptiness remaining was the connecting piece of each stanza, but I guess it wasn't clear enough.

Also, I didn't want to reveal "them," because it leaves more up to the imagination. We're all "them," practically. That was kind of the point in leaving it open. I will clear up some of the descriptions, though, in case they weren't clear enough (such as the fragility of the glass or the irony of the purity of the white floor.)

Thanks!
---Storm



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:58 am
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here

I will attempt a review at this, but it will turn into a short one. Not much to say here, even if you welcomed me to shredding this. I wish I could. Oh, how I wish that. hehehe

Let's see what I can find. I'll just read through and comment as I go along.

One thing I am seeing in this piece which I think could be looked over and tweaked a bit is the redundant repetition of many aspects of this. And I am not talking about the repeating of the words in the beginning (They hear you - although that seemed somewhat so), but your repeating of the descriptions throughout. Whether they were intentional or not, it seemed to not have a point. You described the floor. It was white. Then you described the marble a few lines down. Guess what color it was? Yeah, you got it - white. Lucky guess. So I think you could take that description and mend one of them, taking out one of the white's and adding a more powerful description than simply the white to that. There are so many colors you could do, so many mind-gripping images which could soar with your style. I think you need to work on a bit of those wording. It's not that white doesn't give an image or anything, but the one that it does give is somewhat... bland. A white floor. Not hard to see, yeah, but I think you could build on the picture we have here and use different colors and swirls and vibrance and even possibly some dust on the floor mixing with the glass? I think you could really strengthen the descriptions and emotions in that part simply by adding a bigger image.

echoed soundlessly


I am still trying to decide if this is cliche or not - but my opinion is biased because I love it.

staining it


Hmmm. Nope. You need more. I am envisioning ketchup on the floor right now, which isn't really what I would want to give the reader. hee-hee I think you could strengthen the imagery in this part and deliver more of an emotion with a more in-depth explanation of how they stained it. What happened to the white marble? What color is it now?

then wash their hands.


I love, love, love this ending. I think it was the best part of the entire piece. Almost reminded me of Pontius Pilate, actually. How he washed his hands. But I think you meant more of "we're finished here" and "there isn't anything more we can do" or some-such. I really like the power behind this short and boom! ending line.

To me, this poem was about the character falling, shattering, breaking - and all the above. People watch this transformation, and hear and know what is happening. But they do nothing. They merely stare at what happens to the person (which seems so accurate for today's society), and watch their life crumble. I think you did an amazing job building up on that idea and image, giving to us the despair and the struggle, and then the ultimate plunge while the world watches in silence. There are a couple ways you could have pulled it closer to the reader, and I think adding to the descriptions with some more vibrance in the parts I mentioned would help, and I think adding emotion would, too. You wrote this with emotion, yes. But there is only so much we can get from this detached perspective. I think you could have zoomed us in close with this person, this dejected life, and show us what is happening and what the world's reaction is from a more attached perspective. It doesn't even have to be first person or anything. But I think you could have brought us in a bit. With second person, the one thing you can do is make it more personal to the narrator. It seemed to me as though they were just stating the story and not really showing the feelings of the narrator (which would have brought us in very effectively, I think). Anywho, I think you could have pulled us into this person a little more.

It's not that I wasn't sucked into the story, but I felt a bit detached from the person.

I think that is all I have for you. Sorry for the rambling. I tend to do that sometimes. hee-hee You did a wonderful job with this, and I love the entire idea and how you went about telling it. To tell you the absolute truth, my nitpicks are slight when looking at this piece. But you did say tear it apart, so I tried.

each whirlwind of beautiful thought


<3 I LOVE THIS PART.

*ahem* Yes, I do.
~Darth Timmyjake





Once you have people's attention, you have a greater responsibility to tell them something of value.
— Tobias Forge (Ghost B.C.)