z

Young Writers Society



Asenath:Tears on the Sand Chapter 22

by Aravis10


XXII

Pharaoh Senusret II stood over her father’s old desk. Once again he was the hailed Pharaoh. But, from her seat in the back of the room, Asenath could see a glimpse of the worn man from the night before.

Reziya sat to her right slowly rocking the baby. The two of them had become quite attracted, and Asenath was glad for the help.

Has it really only been a couple of hours since he died?

After crying herself to sleep in the guest bedroom, she had slept for about five hours.

Time to work, not cry.

Joseph and Senusret, both dressed in their official clothes, leaned over documents and talked in hushed tones.

“This is a nasty business if you ask me,” Joseph declared.

Asenath wanted to ask why. But, here, she was only to speak if spoken to.

“Yes,” the Pharaoh agreed. “He left no last wishes or anything. His death was rather unexpected. Thank the gods that at least his tomb is done.”

“That is good.”

“Now, we have to get mourners and embalmers and give his possessions to his legal heir. And for all those things we need a priest. Since he is a priest, we need the high priest. But, one problem.”

Joseph grinned a little.

“He WAS the high priest! So, before we can do anything, I have to appoint a new high priest! I don’t even know who would be qualified!” He rubbed his temple and shook his head.

“We should ask the man that was closest to him. Asenath, who would that be?”

She was caught by surprise, but she knew how to not show her emotions. “That would probably be his scribe. They were good friends.”

“Wise idea, Zaphenath-paneah. Call in the scribe.”

Unfortunately, the scribe turned out to know nothing of importance to the situation. The Pharaoh was obviously aggravated.

“Is there anybody else?”

Asenath thought for a moment. “Well, you could ask Quibilah, his wife.”

“Go get her.”

“Me, sir?”

“Yes, you! This better work!”

Asenath gracefully exited the room. Though she was much changed, she had not lost her noble gait. Once, she had been the princess, the Vision of Egypt. Now, she was much more. If a stranger came to Egypt, he or she might think that she was the Queen of Egypt. Even in this time of pain, she had an air of calm leadership. She willed her heart to beat steadily.

With Elohim, I will approach my mother without fear.

She found her mother in her private chambers. Her mother was sitting on a stool with her back to Asenath, facing the rising sun. A sole beam of light penetrated the dim room. It crossed her mother’s stool and cast a long shadow on the floor.

Asenath paused for a moment, considering what to do.

Get it over with.

“Mother?”

Her mother slowly turned her head.

Asenath wanted to scream. It had only been five months since she had seen her mother. So much had changed. Her bones stuck out like a skeleton with shin hanging on it. Her cheeks, though sunken before, now were sunken so much that Asenath could see the clean outlining of her facial bones. Her eyes were puffy and red from crying. Otherwise, those same eyes were lifeless.

“Asenath? My daughter?”

“Yes, it’s me.”

“What do you want?” Her voice shook with emotion.

“I want to talk with you. But, not now. Pharaoh Senusret asks for you.”

“Mmm. Of course he does. He probably wants all our money to use for that vizier’s silly projects.”

Asenath suppressed her thoughts.

“Oh, I forgot. Zaphenath-paneah is your husband. My condolences. At least you married well.

That’s all she ever cared about.

“Come now, it’s not the time to be cynical.”

“Humph.” The woman’s iron attitude melted. Her lip quivered. “Why can’t he just leave the mourning in peace?”

Asenath wasn’t sure if she wanted to comfort her or soundly reprimand her for being foolish. “Here, take my arm and I will help you to the office.”

Under normal circumstances, Quibilah’s pride would have kept her from this. But, her body was weak from lack of sleep, food, and peace. “A dying woman does need some help,” she thought to herself. “Come here, girl.”

Asenath rushed to her side. Quibilah leaned against her daughter, placing her bony fingers on Asenath’s forearm. They were ice cold and shaking slightly.

“Let’s see what he wants.”

Silently, they walked down the halls arm in arm. Asenath couldn’t think Of anything to say. It had only been five months. Five months! Yet, it felt like five years.

What could they talk about? Her father’s last words of hatred? Her new heretical faith? How could there be healing in so much pain?

They reached the office. Quibilah hastily let go of Asenath’s arm and straightened her posture. Her mother’s whole attitude changed from mourning to stern resolution.

“Asenath, you look positively thin. Go to the kitchen; get some food. A pregnant woman shouldn’t starve herself.”

“What!” Asenath exclaimed, eyes wide.

“I have ways of knowing things. We will talk.” She reached out to open the door.

“Wait,” Asenath grabbed her arm. “Don’t tell Jo…Zaphenath-paneah. I’m really not sure yet, and I want to wait a bit to tell him.”

“Would I be so indiscreet?”

Yes.

“Just promise me you won’t tell him.”

“If you insist. Now, shoo.”

Asenath nodded and started towards the cooking room.

How could she have known?

Asenath had only been sitting outside the kitchen eating a meal cake for about ten minutes when Reziya burst through the door, still clutching Manasseh. She was out of breath and smiling wide. Offhandedly, Asenath noticed that she was missing one of her back teeth.

“Is everything alright?”

Reziya giggled like a little girl. “Alright? Everything is wonderful. I mean, I felt bad when the old master died, all coughing up blood, but now! I just can’t wait! You’ll take me with you, of course. And let me be his godmother?” Reziya looked expectantly.

“I don’t know what you are talking about. Is this a way to talk in a time of mourning?”

The nurse dropped her eyes. “I suppose not, but when Mistress Quibilah told me…”

Asenath groaned. “She told you!”

“Yes, ma’am. Why wouldn’t she? That is…”

My mother.

“Shhh!” Asenath commanded, looking warily at the slaves tending the nearby herb garden. Some had stopped working to listen to the conversation. “Sit by me and put Manasseh in my lap. Yes, like that.”

Though confused, Reziya obeyed orders.

Good, faithful Reziya.

She spoke in hushed tones. “I’m not even sure about this yet. And I haven’t told my husband or anybody else, for that matter. This is a solemn secret until I give you the word. Understand?”

Reziya nodded.

“This is very serious. If you tell anybody, I will… you will not be the godmother.”

The nurse gulped. “Yes, my lady.”

A breeze rustled Manasseh’s soft hair. “Let’s take a walk before it gets to the heat of the day.”

Asenath lay in bed, shivering, alone.

Her father was dead, her mother was spying on her, she was pregnant, Joseph had been too busy all day to even see her.

She tried to think of a story of Elohim that would help, but failed.

Elohim? Where are you?

A crack of light illuminated a strip of the room as Joseph entered. His face was drawn and tired, masked by shadows. After taking off his outer robe and wig, he fell into bed.

He’s had a long day too.

“How did it go?” she asked.

Joseph pulled her closer. “Not so good.”

“Why?”

“Your mother is a shrewd woman.”

My mother again.

“How so?”

“She tried to keep Amnon from getting any inheritance. I worked hard, but he will only get the horses.”

“That’s it? He was Potipherah’s first-born son!”

“Mmm. She seemed to think that since he didn’t live up to his potential, he doesn’t deserve much.”

Asenath rolled her eyes. “And since I married the vizier, I lived up to my potential.”

“Apparently.”

The cheat.

They laid in silence, studying the dark.

“Good-night, my love.”

“Good-night.”

Joseph easily drifted off to sleep.

Asenath lay awake reanalyzing everything in her mind.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:41 am
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hi! Cricket here for a review!

Oh, a lot of things happen in this chapter! Somethings I was a tiny bit confused over, but I'll go into that a bit later. What I'm mainly concerned about is Asenath's secret-ism when it comes to her being pregnant. I mean, why exactly is she hiding it? I really, truly, don't understand why. I mean, she's been married to Joseph for a while now, yes? They love each other, trust each other, and they tell each other everything. I really don't see a reason why she wouldn't tell him. It's just really unnecessary in my mind. If you want to drag more drama and suspense into this story, by doing that, then by all means do so. But she should have a very clear reason of why she is doing it. And that reason needs to be made clear to the reader from the very beginning, of when we learn that she is hiding that she is pregnant.

Alright, the next thing that I'm also concerned about is this. Why did the High Priest not have his last wishes written out before? I mean, you would think that he would have them written out when he had his tomb built. Right? Also, he was sick for a few days at least, right? Maybe they would have, had somebody go in there and have him write out his wall? I mean, that does make sense to me, I don't know about you though. xD I don't actually know right now, how that works, but a little research on that would be a good idea. :D

Once again he was the hailed Pharaoh.


I don't quite understand this. He was hailed Pharaoh before, correct? Are you meaning that he looks more like a Pharaoh now? ;)

But, here, she was only to speak if spoken to.


Unnecessary comma after but.

“Wise idea, Zaphenath-paneah.


Huh?! Asenath told them who was closest to him, not Joseph!

This better work!”


Alright, this isn't going to work. Like r4 previously mentioned, the Pharaoh should have a advanced vocabulary. That's one thing, that has to be done in order to develop his character. I've seen several characters in other books that are defined just by their way of speaking. Right now, he sounds like a fourteen year old, who is throwing a fit. Sorry, but that's the way he rubbed off on me.

Asenath wanted to scream


Nahh, I don't think this will work. For one, I'm not sure it goes along with her character. I would think that Asenath would stare for a split second, and then cover up any emotion she had ever had on this matter. She's good at keeping her emotions concealed, right?

Hmm, from the overall I'd say this is one of your best chapters really. One thing I would suggest doing here, is that I don't exactly feel that they are in a totally different environment right now. Knowing that they are in a different environment helps of course, but you still have to get the right feel for it. I'd suggest really moving towards setting in here. I mean, how about the grounds around the place. Using the Five Senses would help as well. I'd really suggest doing that. It would help us get the feel of it, if you get what I'm saying. :D Hope that made sense!

Alright! That's all for now! Good work here.

Keep writing!

~Cricket




User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 15489
Reviews: 179

Donate
Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:42 am
r4p17 wrote a review...



Knight r4 here to review one of your chapters yet again. I am sorry that I'm a little behind, but I will get to review the rest of your chapters. I certainly hope that this review helps you!

But, one problem.”
Not to be too nit picky, but you need to attach this to the previous sentence because there is no subject or verb. You also might want to expand the vocabulary of the pharaoh. I mean he probably has to know a lot of fancy words to write letters and the like to his nobles.

“Would I be so indiscreet?”

Yes.
Hahahahahahahahaha! That is absolutely positively hilarious! That is the highlight of the chapter!

A breeze rustled Manasseh’s soft hair. “Let’s take a walk before it gets to the heat of the day.”

Asenath lay in bed, shivering, alone.
I think that you meant to put a break in between these two parts though it didn't show up.

Alright I have just one question. Who is Reziya? I am not sure if I have heard of him though I don't recall it if I have.

I just wanted to point out that anyone who looks at the Pharaoh they are supposed to be executed. I just remembered that from a book I read this or last year. I just thought that you should know that so that you could keep that in mind as you write this.

Overall this chapter was pretty good, though there was one thing that I wanted to point out. You never mentioned whether Quiblah became the high priest or not. But other than that I thought that this was a well crafter chapter. ;) I look forward to reading the next chapter within the next few days! Happy writing!!! :D

This review courtesy of
Image




Aravis10 says...


Reziya was introduced in the chapter where her father died. Quibilah is her mother, not the high priest. I'm confused on what you are asking. Thank you for your consistent and helpful reviews!



r4p17 says...


I thought the reason they were looking for Quiblah was to make her the high priestess, though I guess they were asking her who should be the high priest.



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:50 pm
Wolfi wrote a review...



Hello Aravis! Wolfie is here to represent Team Pen during this lovely Review Week.

Pharaoh Senusret II stood over her father’s old desk. Once again he was the hailed Pharaoh. But, from her seat in the back of the room, Asenath could see a glimpse of the worn man from the night before.

At first, this confused me. I was thinking literally that the Pharaoh hadn't been the Pharaoh and now he was... I realize now that you are saying that the Pharaoh wasn't his noble self a few hours before, but he had regained his dignity. Maybe you could clarify that bit a little.
“Wise idea, Zaphenath-paneah. Call in the scribe.”

But... wasn't that Asenath's idea?
“Oh, I forgot. Zaphenath-paneah is your husband. My condolences. At least you married well.

You forgot a little quotation mark!
Silently, they walked down the halls arm in arm. Asenath couldn’t think Of anything to say. It had only been five months. Five months! Yet, it felt like five years.

Five months since.... the baby party? That doesn't seem very significant, since Asenath and her mother haven't been truly close for many years. Does that make sense... kind of? :) It just seems like Asenath is saying, "Five months since I've been 'denounced' from the family," when that time isn't true at all.
Asenath lay in bed, shivering, alone.

Again, I think it would be nice if you could have a little "~*~" thingy before this time transition to ease confusion.
Asenath lay awake reanalyzing everything in her mind.

This seems to be in the present tense, but I'm not sure. For one thing, you need a comma after "awake."

Oooh, this is exciting!!! Another baby! I'm excited to read about Joseph's reaction.

I loved the humor in the priest and high priest issue; that was a nice touch! I also liked that you brought Asenath's mother back into the story. You described her features very well. Lovely job!

It's wonderful that you are bringing God into every chapter now. Whenever Asenath is worried or uncertain, she looks to God, and that's something that we all need to do! :)

Image




Aravis10 says...


Thank you for your amazing reviews! I think that you have really advanced as a reviewer since you first adopted my book!



User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 6357
Reviews: 105

Donate
Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:31 am
emjayc says...



This is the only book with so many chapters that I have actually read on this sight. I love it! :)




Aravis10 says...


Did you blow through it all tonight?! Crazy! And awesome! Thank you! Did you see anything in the overall story I could work on?



emjayc says...


Yes, I started reading it on a whim and I was like "wow, this is a really great lot. I think I may read another chapter! And another, and another...and...another!"
Seriously, though, I love the character development and the plot; it's great. I would say work on the flow of time throughout the book because you tend to jump to another scene and it kind of ruins the ride if you know what I mean. Otherwise, I say that from the first chapter the to latest one you have shown a lot of growth in your writing! I wish I could finish my novel! I cannot wait to read more xD<3



emjayc says...


Pardon all the errors in that comment. I haven't been on this site in a long time and I am getting sleepy!



Aravis10 says...


Don't worry 'bout it! You can finish your novel if you set your mind to it! And I will try to work on that flow problem as I start the editing process. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!



emjayc says...


I adopted your novel :3 But I'm not sure if I want to go back and review all the chapters...I am looking forward to the next chapter



Aravis10 says...


Awesome! Now I have two parents! I feel so loved. :) It would be great if you reviewed the previous chapters (even if the review is only a few sentences long)! But if you don't have time with school starting back up and all, I totally understand.



emjayc says...


I will try my best! It might take an eternity, but I have adopted this book and I like the story of Joseph ^_^



Wolfi says...


Oooh! Hello, fellow parent! :D




a little humanity makes all the difference
— Rosendorn