16+ Violence Mature Content

The Good Life - Prologue: This is Not a Game of Russian Roulette

by lakegirls

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

Prologue: This is not a Game of Russian Roulette

She had gone her whole life without seeing a gun, only ever catching a glimpse of one through the barrier of a TV or a movie screen. She had never seen one in person, never been this close in proximity and now, here was one right in front of her face. So closethat if she turned her head she could kiss it. The person holding the gunexhaled and she twitched involuntarily, her vodka clouded mind fearing that anaction as simple as breathing would be able to set the revolver off.

They sniffled and she looked upto meet their eyes. The skin underneath them was raw and damp, begging to besoothed and dried.She could feelwetness on her face too, her tears were making a path down her cheeks, mirroringthe eyes opposite her own, but she didn’t know who had started the crying, whohad passed the sadness onto the other.

A broken sob came from the personsitting on the bed in front of her and she blinked, trying to clear her visionwithout moving. She jumped slightly as the hands, which were clasped betweenher own, moved upwards. She wanted to withdraw, to take her hands away but shecouldn’t, it was like there was an invisible string connecting them, a stringthat she would forever be attached to one end of. A sharp intake of breathescaped her as she watched the mouth open, as lips parted, before the gunslipped between them. She could feel her tears starting again as she realizedthat this was real, that the gun was fully loaded and it wasn’t just some gameof Russian roulette where the outcome was unknown. There was only one outcome, the six bullets in therevolver helped to insure that.

She could feel her handsstarting to sweat, her fingers and palms becoming hot, asking to be wiped freeof the moisture, but she kept them in position. The person facing her closedtheir eyes and she wanted to close her eyes too but she couldn’t, she couldn’tlook away from their face. The hand underneath hers moved again, fingersclosing over the trigger, ready to pull.

Her heartbeat sped up and in a rush of adrenaline shewithdrew her hand, breaking the invisible link. She backed away, shaking herhead. “I’m sorry, I can’t, I can’t –” Her next words were replaced with a gaspas the gun went off, the loud bang was followed by screams; yells and criesrising from all parts of the house. She stood in shock, watching as the body,her friend’s body, dropped to thefloor. As blood rushed from their head she sank to her knees, sobbing with ahand pressed tightly against her mouth.

“Oh god, oh my god,” she whimpered. “What did I do?” Shewatched the body, willing it to move. Her sobs grew louder as the spot of bloodgrew bigger. Then, a calmness swept over her, it was like she was floating, herbody felt weightless.

The fear that had been flowing through her when the gun hadbeen poised in her friend’s mouth disappeared. She crawled towards the body andstopped in front of it. She uncurled the hand that was around the handle andpositioned the gun in front of her heart, closing her eyes. Her fingers flexedand then began to move towards the little piece of metal that hadalready ended one life that night.

But then somebody was pushing her, shouting her name. Sheopened her eyes and gazed up. Someone was staring back at her with wide,fearful eyes, saying her name over and over again, the words merging togetherso that it sounded like a terrified chant. They took the gun from her, placingit near the body then they grabbed her wrists and tugged on the long, satingloves until her hands were exposed. She was yanked to her feet and pulled awayfrom the crumpled form lying on the floor. Her eyes never left the body, thepool of blood was growing darker, an ominous red that would never leave thewhite mat.

She could hear voices, people coming closer to the room, allof them too loud and panicked. But none of that mattered, her best friend wasdead, her best friend’s life was over and she had done nothing to stop it fromending. She closed her eyes again as ringing filled her ears and then, everythingwent black.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:10 pm
lakegirls says...

Hey! Thank-you all for the responses. I've looked over what everyone has said and made a few changes. I know a couple of you said their should be more dialogue between the two characters or more inner dialogue but I think by doing that it would give away the two people in the room. Readers will find out who the people are, in the last chapter, but I think the mystery of not knowing is what will drive readers to the end. That goes for description as well, if I add too much people will be able to tell where they are. Also this is somewhat of an assisted suicide, the protaganist is supposed to be helping her friend end their life because they can't.

Again, I really appreciate it! You have no idea how much your advice has helped me :)

-Nicole

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:23 pm
megsug wrote a review...

Hello lakegirls~
I tried to get this review out promptly. I hope it's in time for your professor to look at it.

Quick little nitpick:

She wanted to withdraw, to take her hands away but she couldn’t, . it was like there was an invisible string connecting them, a string that she would forever be attached to one end of.

You've got a run-on here. You've got a subject and a verb in she wanted and another pair in it was. Just plop a period between couldn't and it.

You have several other comma splices, but I'll let you find them. If you're still having trouble, let me know, and I'll be happy to point out the rest.

Moving on to content, like the others, I thought you held on to the suspense rather well.

However, what stuck out to me is that I didn't care about the girl dying. All I know is that they killed themselves and, at the very end, I find out they were the main character's best friend. I think you should establish the two characters relationship earlier in the prologue. The vibe in most of the prologue is that of someone who is afraid which I suppose is true, but it's not obvious if she's afraid for herself or for her friend. I think you need to get your reader attached to the friend before you kill them off. It's possible to make the reader love a character and kill them off in the same chapter.

This can be fulfilled in two ways: dialogue and inner monologue.

These two characters either need to be talking so that we understand what kind of a person the friend is, or the main character needs to be thinking about the friend until the reader knows why she loves the friend and why we should be sad about them dying.

Now, I think if you add dialogue, unless done very skillfully, the tension won't be as strong. Inner monologue will keep the tension but serve a twofold purpose. We'll get to know the friend and the main character. If you do decide to add in some of the main character's thoughts, just remember that she's panicked. Her thoughts would be fast and perhaps scattered.

All that being said, I really enjoyed this prologue. It was short and simple, a classic attention grabber. It makes me want to read on.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I wish you luck on your portfolio,
Megs~

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:46 pm
TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...

Hello, love!

Aurora here with a quick review for you!

Alright, nitpicks first, and then we'll get to plot and characterization and so on.
Luckily, this is a prologue, so I don't have the bother of no knowing what's going on.

So closethat if she turned her head she could kiss it.
A space between 'close' and 'that'.

The person holding the gunexhaled and she twitched involuntarily, her vodka clouded mind fearing that anaction as simple as breathing would be able to set the revolver off.
Spaces between 'gun' and 'exhaled', and 'an' and 'action'.

Okay, well, those are the only two nitpicks I'm going to point out because I think you can take care of the spacing on your own. Besides, I don't see any other type of grammatical/spelling issues in this piece whatsoever, which makes me think that this is more due to a faulty keyboard than ignorance.

Moving on:

I think that you could potentially remove a lot of the spacing between paragraphs, because it looks and reads weird. Another thing to take into consideration is switching up your sentence structure a bit within the actual paragraphs themselves.
You have a lot of 'she did this'. And then 'thought this'. Type of thing in your prologue.

I like (a lot) how you don't really mention a name, and add so much figurative language. Of course, that's a characteristic common for prologues- so, well, yeah.

And, besides, this prologue was so tense and built up so well!
In fact, I think you could use a bit more description- of surroundings- at the very beginning of the prologue.

Something I think you could fix: You repeat the word 'best friend' a lot, and it gets a little repetitive. You can change the wording to make it more dramatic- although you're certainly not lacking in that.

And finally, in your last paragraph, you can drag out the voices approaching a bit more to make is build up faster and faster- then poof, she passes out. Kind of like the sound track near the climax of a movie- and then you cut to the ads.

All in all, a very good read that I enjoyed.
Keep persisting, love.
~Aurora

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:02 pm
ShadowTony1 wrote a review...

I also say that this is an intense prologue, but its just the way I like it ;). What I would say is that you need to improve that thumb of yours if you know what I mean. If you don't, I mean that you need to work on putting spaces in your work, but overall the plot is very vague, which is suppose to be since it is the prologue and it fits perfectly in you story. This may seem like a horror story, but its more pulsating in my case. It goes rapidly in a heart beat from word to word, sentence to sentence, paragraph to paragraph, and finally section to section. I really do like enjoy this story as it could give me inspiration for future stories.

Overall, I would like to rate this story a 4.4/5 :).

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hey, lakegirls! Here to review~

Right I'll start off with what I liked- aaaah tense! This prologue was really tense and it built up a rather suspenseful and chilling atmosphere which is quite scary to read, which is a good thing because I assume that's what you were going for. I also really liked the mystery of it all, I think you gave away enough information about the characters, so well done!

The person holding the gun exhaled and she twitched involuntarily, her vodka clouded mind fearing that an action as simple as breathing would be able to set the revolver off.

The person holding the gun sniffled and she looked up to meet their eyes

Repetition of 'the person holding the gun' if a bit of a mouthful to be reading all the time, maybe you could say 'the man' or 'woman'.

Okay so although it was good that you didn't really reveal who the person holding the gun was, it makes the whole thing kind of awkward and confusing to read by saying 'the person' all the time. For example here,
A broken sob came from the person’s trembling mouth and she blinked, trying to clear her vision without moving. She jumped slightly as the hands, which were clasped between her own, moved upwards. She wanted to withdraw, to take her hands away but she couldn’t, it was like there was an invisible string connecting them together, a string that she would forever be attached to one end of

I kind of have no idea what character is doing what. All throughout this piece I'm a bit confused as to what character is doing what action. Calling the MC 'She' for this chapter is quite confusing, and calling the other one 'the person' just makes it all confusing to read. Maybe you could just reveal their names, or the other person's gender so it's all a bit clearer. You may have a picture in your mind of what's going on, and you need to express that to your readers properly, remember, they know nothing.

The other thing was, although it was good that this prologue was quite short, it felt quite rushed. Now I'm not saying add loads of descriptions about the settings or the characters, but I think with the MC there should be more interior monologue as to how she's feeling that the gun is being pointed at her head. You've already started to do this, but I think some more would be really good as it would reveal a lot about her, and also add some more to this short piece.

Overall though, I thought this was good. It was full of suspense and action. I hope this review helped, feel free to PM me with any questions or if you'd like another review on anything.

Keep writing,
~ArcticMonkey x

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
— Martin Luther King Jr.