z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Instant: 1

by Linguistic


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

~~~<>~~~<>~~~<>~~~

When I give you my time, I'm giving you a portion of my life that I will never get back.

So don't waste it.

~~~<>~~~<>~~~<>~~~

My feet were the sorest they'd ever been by the end of theater practice. It felt as if I had stomped on nails during the hours after school, and dipped my toes in acid.

Half tempted to just rip both legs off, I opened the school doors, revealing a warm breeze that immediately dampened my complaints. The branches on the trees swayed, and some lone leaves tumbled across the black asphalt.

My mom had always said that the weather could change anyone's mood, whether it be good or bad.

I moaned, exhausted, and tossed my hand through the unruly mass of brown curls atop my head. I tried not to think about the fact that all we'd done, the entire practice, was dance and block for the scenes. My muscles ached as I walked out into the parking lot.

For the November musical of the year, our director had written a play of his own. And, because it was my senior year, I had decided to audition for an actual role, instead of co-directing with the drama teacher. It was a small part - I was the Indian chief's daughter who had a total of four lines - but it was an immensely fun part to play.

It felt nice to be a part of something each year, which was why I helped out in the performances.

Still thinking about the musical, I began to execute the choreographed dance moves across the near-empty lot, half-heartedly searching for a specific, red car. It wasn't hard, considering the parking lot had a total of about fourteen cars in it, not counting the ones in the separate "teacher's parking" area.

I did a little sheté over a yellow parking block and leaned my hip against the hood of the car once I reached it, crossing my legs at the ankles. My backpack dropped with a "thud" onto the asphalt as I let it slip off my shoulder.

Pieces of my hair were lifted up and danced in the sudden breeze that brushed past me. The sun shown down through the clouds, surprisingly warm and sticky for a autumn day in early November.

My boyfriend, Nate, had football practice after school and it ended right around the time theater practice did. He figured that since we were together, I shouldn't need to drive myself to school - even though I had a car. I thought it was sweet. I didn't mind being driven places, especially considering I wasn't too keen on driving, myself. My mother, however, thought the whole situation was a waste of a car.

My boyfriend's name was Nate. We'd met our sophomore year when I had tutored him through math class. He made me smile, and he made me feel loved - most of the time, at least.

I waited by his car for a few minutes before I saw him bounding out of the locker room, blond, shaggy hair wet and dripping. I leaned away from the car so I could hug him, but Nate had different ideas.

As I leaned in, he grabbed my waist and shoved his head down, shaking it like a wet dog. Water droplets splashed on my face and shirt as I screeched and tried to push him away. His arm held me captive, and I began beating his muscled chest to get away.

"No!" I yelled, laughing. "Let go of me!" After shaking his head a little longer, Nate looked up and brushed his lips against mine. He started laughing as I wiped off my wet face dramatically. "You're a sugartit, you know," I said, using the only "curse" word my mother allowed in the house.

Nate laughed at me, most likely making fun of my inability to curse, his smile nearly splitting his face apart.

Nate was the dictionary description of attractive. With his strong shoulders, and chiseled face, he could easily pass as a model - which made dating him pretty easy.

"But you still love me!" He exclaimed, smiling widely.

I paused for a split second, not sure what to say. I'd never before said "I love you" back to him. To anyone.

Not noticing my grimacing face, Nate asked, "So how was your nerd thing?"

Aggravation spread through my chest. He always called my theater practices nerdy, something that actually slightly offended me.

I rolled my eyes and held my hand out for the car keys, wanting to get away from school as quickly as possible.

Nate could see that his comment had affected me, and said, "Look, I'm sorry, babe, I just don't get why you do those stupid plays."

It was supposed to be a reassuring comment, but it only made me want to stab Nate's car keys into the side of his precious vehicle.

Nate fished the bits of metal out of his jeans pocket and tossed them to me. The keys glinted in the sun before landing in the palm of my hand. I unlocked the car door and tossed my bag in the back.

Lowering myself into the passenger seat, I reached over to put the key in the ignition. The car roared to life with a single turn.

Nate climbed into the car.

"Being in the musical is not nerdy," I huffed, bringing it up for the one-hundredth time this year. My seatbelt buckled with a "click" after I'd drawn the strip of leather across my chest.

Nate laughed mockingly, and started to back the car out of the school parking lot. There were still a dozen or so cars still there, awaiting the arrival of their owners.

I decided to let my annoyance go. After all, I thought Nate's choice of a sport - football - wasn't too entertaining, either.

I watched my boyfriend maneuver his car onto the main road, trees looming up on each side of the street. We passed the sign near the front opening that read "Brewer High School, home of the Ravens," with a matching black bird as a statute next to it.

Soon the sign was gone, and we were speeding away towards the center of town.

To get to my house from the school, you had to drive through Main Street - a half mile long stretch of random stores and cute diners, along with the post office and library - and out into the country.

I lived in the "rural" part of my small town of Brewer, Michigan. Although "rural" was a daft thing to call it because of the general size of the town to begin with. Safe to say, the entire town could be considered as straight country land, with a spattering of stores and houses in between.

It was about a three minute drive through the town itself, and a fifteen minute drive from my house to the school.

Nate lived in the only area that could be considered as a neighborhood. He had the largest house in town because his father was the mayor of the area, and the decisions of his family controlled those of everyone else.

As we neared Main Street, I stared at Nate's chest.

"Please put your seat-belt on."

He turned to look at me, a you've-got-to-be-kidding look on his face.

"What?" I asked. "You want to get in an accident and die?" He rolled his green eyes, and looked back towards the road. The car made an angry humming sound, as if it abhorred the sound of Nate and I arguing. We crossed from the empty road and onto the official Main Street. The car flew past stores, going faster than it should have. "Please, Nate, just put it on."

He knew perfectly well that car crashes were a very sensitive topic for me. They hit home in ways other things couldn't.

"No, what are you? My mother?" He spat, harshly. "Jeez."

I sighed deeply. I hated when he was like that. Why couldn't he just put on the damn seat belt? I wasn't asking much.

My chest constricted.

In the back of my head, I could picture a navy blue Montana van, speeding down the highway, going too fast.

The image zooms into the drivers seat, where I can't see the man's face. It shows his chest, where there isn't a seat belt protecting him.

The car starts to veer off the road--I closed my eyes tightly, and bit my tongue, so I'd stop picturing it.

Suddenly, I gasped for air, not even realizing I'd been holding my breath. There was an ache, an empty hole deep in my chest.

"Just put the seatbelt on," I whispered, barely audible. He didn't.

Nate angrily blew air out through his nose. "Just because your dad died in a car crash, Adira, doesn't mean I will, too."

It was an awful thing to say. I squeezed my eyes shut to keep in the tears that were forming.

I was biting my tongue so hard the metallic taste of blood spiked my tastebuds.

The stores stopped flying past us, and fields of crop land began to appear.

"So how was football practice?" I whispered shakily, attempting to change the subject so he wouldn't see me cry. My boyfriend hated when people cried.

Nate suddenly let out a string of profanities. I took it as practice hadn't gone as he'd planned.

"It sucked," he hissed. "Stupid coach doesn't know anything." He turned to me, not even bothering to glance at the road. My stomach lurched into my throat.

"You know what he did?" I shook my head, making sure to watch the road for oncoming traffic.

I was going to die.

"He told me I had to sit out the game because my throwing isn't 'up to standards'." He used finger quotes, taking his hands completely off the wheel.

My mouth was glued shut.

I was going to die.

"That asshole of a coach is putting in the backup Quarterback instead of me!"

Our car started to swerve into the lane next to ours.

The scream I had been holding in my chest escaped, and my eyes snapped shut for a moment before I grabbed the wheel and swerved the car into it's appropriate lane.

By this time my heart was pounding, not that Nate seemed to notice.

"You just almost just got us killed," I muttered shakily, trying to breath again.

I wanted to throw up. The nauseous feeling swirled in my stomach while my head pounded in the inside of my skull. It terrified me to know that - at any time - I could be killed in an instant, just like my father.

"What did you say?" Nate asked, venomously. We'd reached my house, and he pulled into my driveway. The brick house in front of us stared down at me, watching the scene play out. The green bushes lining the front of the house seemed to huddle deeper into the afternoon shadows.

I unbuckled my seat belt, muttering a "nothing", and started to get out of the car.

"No, tell me," Nate demanded, grabbing my arm harshly and pulling me back into the car. I stumbled, my shin hitting the edge of the door. Pain spiked up my leg.

"Nothing," I said sweetly, trying not to moan in agony, hoping he'd let go of my arm. His nails were digging into my skin, threatening to draw blood. I leaned forward and gave him a kiss. "See you tomorrow!"

I smiled, even though I was cringing inside, and rubbed the sore spot on my arm.

There'll be a bruise there tomorrow, I thought to myself. I'd have to wear a long-sleeve shirt to hide the marks.

It wasn't the first time it'd happened.

As I walked up to my front door, reaching in my backpack for the key, I swore I heard something.

Briefly - just for a moment - there was the sound of a clock ticking, and the ding of the hour. I strained my ears and looked to the right, then the left.

I was staring at nothing but the side of my house.

The noise was louder now. Each tick counting off a second passing, from a clock that wasn't there.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:49 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

Just a quick nitpick here:

Half tempted to just rip both legs off

Her feet were just hurting a second ago. So wouldn't she want to rip her feet off instead of her legs? I know, I know, ripping the legs off would also solve the feet problem. But since these two sentences are so close to each other, I suggest keeping them exactly the same. So instead of saying "rip both legs off" you could say "rip my feet off".

I told him for the one-hundredth time this year, buckling my seat belt with a "click".

Did I miss the time that they got into the car? Last we saw of the two of them, they were standing outside the car. Now all of the sudden they're in the car. It's just a tiny thing, but it means a lot when you read it.

Keep in mind, whenever someone new is speaking, you should start a new paragraph. That way the dialogue doesn't get all jumbled up and confuse everyone. For example, this paragraph should be broken up:
"It sucked," he hissed. "Stupid coach doesn't know anything." He turned to me, not bothering to even glance at the road as he was driving! My stomach lurched. "You know what he did?" I shook my head, making sure to watch the road for oncoming traffic. I was going to die. "He told me I had to sit out the game because my throwing isn't 'up to standards'." He used finger quotes, taking his hands completely off the wheel! I was going to die. "That asshole of a coach is putting in the backup Quarter Back instead of me!"

Honestly, it's a bit hard to follow. You have Nate's dialogue here as well as your MC's dialogue and your MC's thoughts. That's a lot for us to focus on at once. If you break it all up, it'll be easier to follow :)

There'll be a bruise there tomorrow, I thought to myself. I'd have to wear a long-sleeve shirt again.

Again? AGAIN?! How long has this jerk been doing this to her? Not cool dude, not cool at all.

Overall I quite enjoyed reading this. Now, I'm not the kind of girl to run around reading gushy romance novels. But this doesn't seem like one to me. And from how Nate is acting, I don't think it ever will be gushy romance. There are parts of romance in this chapter, and I actually enjoyed reading them. I think it's because you made the romance fresh and different. There's none of this "oh, we were made for each other!" or "I don't need anyone but you!" crap. There is a real couple in a real relationship having real problems.

Speaking of problems, please tell me that Nate is not abusive. If he is, I'm going to come through this screen and punch him clear in the nose. Go ahead, tempt me dude. I'll do it! Don't you dare lay a hand on your girlfriend! I will hunt you down!

*ahem* Sorry about that...

There's a lot of character interaction in this chapter, which means there isn't much description and imagery. I don't think it's exactly needed here because there isn't much for you to describe. Maybe a description of the car would be nice or a description of the school parking lot. Other than that though, you covered the basic descriptions like what the characters look like and what's going on around them. That's all we really need at this point. There will be some descriptions you'll need later on in your novel, I'm sure of it. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I have to say, I was quite intrigued by the description of this piece. A girl lying dead on the side of the road one night ends up going to school the next day? Very interesting premise there. I saw a lot of foreshadowing of a car crash going on in this chapter. I think that's great. Foreshadowing is always a good thing to add into a novel, which I'm sure you know. It's nice to see it this early on too. Some people wait a while and then it ends up being too close to the actual event being foreshadowed and it loses all meaning.

One last thing before I go. I'd like to know more about why car crashes don't sit well with your MC. I like how you put that "vision" she had of a car crash in there. It really shows us how scared she is about them rather then just having us know that she's scared of them. But what makes her scared of them? Has she been in one? Did someone close to her die in an accident? What exactly happened to scare her so bad? Or maybe it's all just a normal fear of getting in a crash. No matter the reason, I want to see it in this chapter. That'll really help the readers understand more about your character.

Alrighty then, I guess I'll go check out the next chapter!

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:11 am
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hi annardj!

I'll start off with what I liked about this piece- the first two sentences were really cool. I don't know, there's just something about the idea of time which is really interesting, and the last two lines also fit with that. I also like the fact that just from one chapter I've learnt loads about the characters, through their actions and dialogue. And the cliffhanger at the end is great! I can't wait to find out what happens next :o.

My feet killed by the end of play practice.

I feel like saying her feet 'killed' sounds a bit like slang, something she'd say in dialogue, but not here.

The car starts started to veer off the road--

Tenses!

The A car started to swerve into the lane next to ours.

'the' should be 'a' because this other car hasn't been introduced to the story yet, so it kind of sounds like you're talking about Nate's car, then it doesn't really make sense.

Okay, so I think my main issue with the piece is the paragraphing. I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or not, but most of your paragraphs were one or two lines, when they should've been more. For example,

My boyfriend had football practice after school and it ended right around the time play practice did. He figured that since we were together, I shouldn't need to drive myself to school--even though I had a car.

I thought it was sweet, and I didn't mind being driven places. My mom, however, thought it was a waste of a car.

This should all be in one paragraph, really. The problem with breaking it up so much is that it makes it really slow to read- short paragraphs and short sentences should really be used for tense bits, and action-y bits, but if you use them all the time they loose their effectiveness. You might find this article helpful on when to start a new paragraph.

Because of these short sentences, I felt everything was happening quite quickly- even if they're slow to read, if that makes sense. Remember, that you want to show, and not tell.
Sometimes he would get a little weird and possessive,

I'd perhaps get rid of this line, because you want your readers to find out for themselves what a character is like and make their own opinion on them- also you show him being 'weird and possessive later on which is great, so I don't really think you need this bit.

My last point is something you might already have in mind, and I mentioned it before. I hope in future chapters you talk more about this idea of time, I mean your story is called 'Instant' so I'm assuming that you're going to. I think it's just an interesting concept, and something that relates to everyone, and so something that everyone can think about for a while.

Overall, I really enjoyed this chapter 1! I think that the story-line is good, and your characters are coming along really well. As for improvements, just remember to paragraph properly, and don't use short sentences all the time. I hope this review helped, feel free to PM me with any questions or if you'd like a review on anything else. And let me know when you post chapter 2!

Keep writing,
~ArcticMonkey x





Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr