12+

The Siege, Chapter five: Checkpoint; Suspension post (I)

by Alchemist

Word count is somewhere about 1500 I think. It's really short. 

Alice

Only after ten minutes long crawl through the passage she had noticed their ‘Insider’ is actually a boy, not older than fourteen. And he was crawling last, right behind me… looking at… who knows what… aaaaah!

She just wasn’t able to take her eyes off her two wounded partners. She was either going crazy, or Daston’s breathing rate increased rapidly, and he was slower too. Dan didn’t seem way too affected by his own wound, except for few moans.

Their crawl was finally finished when they reached a small room where they were able to stand. There, boy turned on a lamp and they were finally able to see the strong light again. And not being pointed directly into our eyes.

“We have to rest here” boy said. “We have a long climb before us now, and a long walk right after, too.”

“No”, Dan answered. “We have to climb our way now. No stops.”

“But, it’s dangerous up there, and you are all wounded and tired!”

“Kid, whose orders do we follow?”

“Mr. Dan’s, Sir.”

“And my name is?”

“Mr… Dan. Sir.”

“Right. Daston, move in.”

“One second, Dan. Something is pinching my knees…” He stood up and shook his pants; something clanged on the floor. It was three bullets.

“When we are safe, Alice” Daston interrupted her question. She rolled her eyes and seemingly ignored him.

The boy pointed his lamp to the ceiling, revealing long, black whole. Daston jump without a question, caught onto the ladder and pulled himself in. After Dan did the same, with a helpful push from Alice, it seemed as if boy was waiting for something.

“Oh, no” Alice laughed. “This time, I go last.”

The boy shyly smiled and shrugged, and jumped to barely catch the ladder. He was rather tall for the fourteen years he had. Alice finally followed and then, the long, painful climb begun.

She could not discern the time passed, but she would be ready to bet they spent more than an hour climbing without a stop. How high could have they gone? Few hundred meters maybe, or even more.

Finally, the boy’s lamp shone upon the opening. Dan had barely pulled himself out, now crying in pain. Even Alice’s arms hurt a bit. This was a long climb indeed.

She knew where they were supposed to go, but what was before her right now exceeded all of her expectations and imaginations.

“Welcome to the suspension room 36/2”, the boy announced with a smile. His voice echoed through what they were in.

The light of the boy’s lamp lit through the whole place. It was now slightly lighter than complete darkness, this giant square cave made of concrete. There was a large numbers of pillars supporting its roof, more than hundred meters high, and the pillar-shades spread all around them.

“So this is what the fabled suspension rooms look like”, Dan announced, slightly impressed.

“Hey, you two”, Daston suddenly spoke. “I think you will need to carry me. I can’t go on any longer.”

What? The wounded old man instantly crashed his face to the ground. The boy was the first to jump to his help. Alice stood there for a bit longer, frozen in fear, but she joined him too.

“How heavy can an old man be!” the boy complained. Alice was only now able to actually take a good look at him. He was rather muscular, which she didn’t really notice at the first glance. She thought he was tall and skinny, but his arms tensed under the Daston’s rather surprising weight, and revealed muscles. He had a longish hair, reaching a little bit over his ears, and darks eyes.

“Let’s move” Dan stood there, observing them. He didn’t even make a step to help Daston. He was wounded himself, but that shouldn’t make him completely ignorant.

The boy turned his head around, taking a quick glance at one of the pillars. “Okay, we are at the 36/2/102. We have a long way to walk. This way”, he started moving to his left. “Mr. Dan?” he added. When Dan had noticed him, which actually did take few moments, he finished what he wanted to say:”Look around us carefully. There are scary things out there, y’ know?”

Dan completely ignored him.

He is such an asshole!

They carried Daston past dozens of concrete pillars. Since everything was grey, she had almost failed to notice the box’s wall was right in front of them. They took a turn right, and, seven large pillars later, they were at the steel door.

It was Dan who opened it, turning the large knob at its center, using only one hand. He somehow looked… strong, while doing it. She had always perceived him as a weakling of the group, the brain. He was nothing like it. He had barely moaned a few times after getting shot. His posture has actually changed, now that Shael wasn’t around them anymore. He didn’t look like his sweet puppy, he was rather a mountain bear.

Was it because of Shael’s immense presence that she had overlooked Dan’s abilities?

There were also small signs printed to the both sides of the door, into the wall; the left one was “36/2” and the right one was “35/2”. Well, it’s not like she didn’t understand the suspension numbering the first time she had heard it.

The steel door led them through a ten meters tunnel separating the suspension rooms. They had finally entered the “35/2”, and it was no different than the previous one.

Number 2 was there to tell the level of the suspensions; there were actually three levels, build vertically, above each other, with countless rooms in each of them.

“My name is Leiph”, the boy finally whispered, so that his words wouldn’t echo.

“I’m Alice”, she tried to sound friendly. “We are carrying Daston, and, well, you know Dan.”

“Oh, I know you all, don’t worry!”

“What are these built for, anyway?” Alice asked him. It seemed like they really had a long, long way to walk and talk would make their time pass faster.

“I’m not really sure. There is a story for kids up here though. Wanna hear it?”

“Go on, Leiph”, she told his name only to be able to remember it.

“All right. I won’t be too detailed though, you… you’re not kid.” Alice smiled him, which made him turn his head away, but he kept on talking. “So, according to the story, there once lived a really evil king here in the fortress. I mean, he was really bad, he was torturing his people and looked upon them as nothing more than servants. Finally, a young hero arose and gathered the army of mighty phoenixes; for ten days and ten nights they flew around this mountain and spit fire and threw giant rocks on it. It made the cave inside crumble and destroy the evil king’s castle.

Later on, the young hero became king, but the tale said he didn’t trust the phoenixes anymore, so he had the suspensions built. It is said that whatever happens to the outside won’t ever be felt inside the mountain anymore.”

“That is a fun story. But phoenixes? It is too much to be true”, she joked with him.

“Yeah. It is just a kid story, after all.”

But these suspensions had to be built because of something.

“Except for that it’s pretty much true”, Dan suddenly said.

“What are you talking about?” Alice was confused.

“I said that it is very probable that, at one point in history, there was a man who gathered some kind of aerial army and blasted this fortress from afar.”

“You mean, like Phoenixes?” Leiph’s eyes gleamed.

“Not really. The truth is, it isn’t really that hard to construct something that can fly. It’s just that The State doesn’t really want it. Nearly two hundred years ago, an engineer named Javerin Kristoph created a vessel flying with the help of hydrogen. But aerial traffic means world exploration, and that’s what The State was the most conservative about during its whole existence.”

“How do you even know that? I read many books, even the ones The State thought they got rid of, and I know nothing about it.”

“Believe me, this data is much more exclusive than that.”

“You are really cool Dan, when you’re not an asshole”, Leiph suddenly said, and it made Alice giggle. Dan just ignored them and focused on his notebook, but, for a moment, he did seem hurt by it.

They walked two more rooms in a straight line, reaching 32/2, but then they took a turn right and ended up in a 14/2 room. They even had to climb a ladder to reach it, which was really hard with passed out Daston. At least it meant they were getting higher into the mountain. Finally, at 13/2, Leiph led them to a hidden passage where the circular stairs led them up; opening another hidden door, they found themselves in 102/1 suspension room.

This room was quite the different than the 2nd level. The pillars were three times as thick, and everything was reinforced with steel beams, placed around them and even along the walls of the room.

“We need to hurry. His condition is getting worse”, Dan finally said.

Leiph nodded and fastened his walk. It seemed like Daston’s weight under his shoulder was getting too much anyway, but he decided not to complain, who knows why.

They passed through this room rather quickly, and the next one they took a turn right.

Finally, after passing through the long, dark tunnel connecting two rooms, but Leiph finally stopped in place. The tunnels were also longer up here than they were on the level two.

He knocked in a weird pattern to the wall before them. A mechanism was heard from behind, sounding rather heavy and rusty, but the wall finally parted.

“Welcome, we are finally here”, Leiph smiled to her. “Granny can’t wait to meet you!”

Deanie wrote a review...

Hi Alchemist!

I hope you are not too tired of me yet! Just this chapter and one more to go before I have reviewed as much as I can of this story!

Now this was another intriguing chapter. We get to see a different side of things where the pace slows down a little bit, but it is still another cog in the wheels when it comes to the mission. We are simply getting more of that, with a character thrown in there. I liked your description of the setting and it was easy to imagine the platform they entered onto. I also think Leiph is a pretty unique name for a character and the tale he told is pretty interesting. I think all the best books need to have some kind of myth or legend in it, even though some people believe it to be more real than others. I wonder what Leiph meant by Granny at the end of the chapter, and I can't wait for the explanation that is supposed to be coming. It can't come soon enough...

As usual, like I mentioned with previous reviews we still need some more emotion here. Yes, these are emotionless people who can take killing into their natural state of mind, but it doesn't mean that they don't feel anything at all. Especially when it comes to Alice. So think about that there... I won't go on about this because I have talked about it before.

I feel like there are some places where you can add some more suspense instead of skimming over them. I think one of those places would have to be the climbing of the steps. You kind of mention it briefly as a long journey and their arms hurting, but nothing more than that. Mention how it was long, dark and seemingly never ending. Mention how Alice's throat is dry and thirsty, that sweat is trickling down her back and her arms feel like they are slowly being ripped out of their sockets. That at some points she wondered if letting go would be easier, if her palms were slick with sweat that was making it hard to cling on. Add some suspense into the seemingly boring patches to liven them up a bit more. I think you could do this in other areas as well. Remember, your characters do have to be human. Yes, they can be quick and strong but they are not invincible because that is the impression I am getting from Alice at the moment, and that isn't good. Also, include those details like some of the examples I am mentioning! It shows that this mission isn't all easy and still is a challenge, which should interest readers more.

Leiph mentions Dan being mean and calls him a name. Alice does too. But in my impression Leiph has not seen enough of Dan to feel that way yet, although Alice has and is justified in that aspect. So maybe it is too soon for the boy to be calling him names already.

I felt like you went into the story too quickly. Ease us into the transition from action to this scene a bit more. Mention that even though Leiph is saying all this, Alice's mind still flashes back to the way she found Daston at first and his current condition. Show us that she is seeing the faces of all the people she has killed. According to her past this mission is the first time people have fallen at her hands. I feel like she is pushing it all to the back of her mind far too easily and even though she can listen to a normal story like this one, we should see her façade starting to crack a bit more. As she can't be invincible physically, she also can't be emotionally.

We're seeing a lot of Alice's point of view. We should see a bit more from other characters soon, I would hope.

Time for some nitpicks! It seems like this time the previous reviews didn't cover everything.

Only after ten minutes long crawl through the passage she had noticed their ‘Insider’ is actually a boy

This sound be: Only after a ten minute long crawl. There is no need for the word 'had' in this sentence. That makes you slip into passive voice which is something we don't want. Try and avoid had followed by a verb whenever you can because it is unnecessary. Also, make sure you stick to the same tense. It should be 'was actually a boy' instead of 'is' because that would make it present tense.

except for few moans

You are missing the word 'a' after the word 'for'.

There, boy turned on a lamp and they were finally able to see the strong light again. And not being pointed directly into our eyes.

Boy is not the characters name, but more so a referral to what he is. So you should say 'the boy' instead of simply boy. Also, make those two sentences one by saying: they were finally able to see the strong light again without it being pointed directly into their eyes. That way we avoid having a sentence fragment that seems awkward. Also, I changed the 'our' to their because this is not written in first person.

The boy pointed his lamp to the ceiling, revealing long, black whole

You need the word 'a' after revealing. Also, I think you mean 'hole' instead of whole.

Few hundred meters maybe, or even more.

This sentence needs an 'a' at the beginning of it. When it comes to the word few you seem to forget that little one you need to match with it.

“How heavy can an old man be!” the boy complained.

The boy phrases this as a question and not a statement, so that exclamation mark should really be a question mark.

I'm tired now, so I think I will review the final chapter in the morning! Hope the reviews you got today were helpful :P

Deanie x

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:14 am
90skids wrote a review...

I haven't read the previous few chapters but after reading this, I think I'm going to have to.
One thing I am going to say though is that, there seems to be a lot of dialogue in proportion to the description. Is there a reason for this? There's nothing wrong with it it's just that I would prefer there to be more description.
'“When we are safe, Alice”' One thing that really separates a good story from a brilliant story is when the author writes dialogue how people actually speak. For example, how many people, especially quite young people (I assume that your characters are sort of a teen age?) say 'we are' unless they're being formal. If you say it aloud and it sounds wooden, change it. If you use abbreviations the speech sounds more natural which makes the story better.
I'm really curious to know where they are, why they're there and what they're doing. I wonder why the 'insider' is there. A thousand questions are whirring around in my mind and I know that now, I'm completely hooked and I'm going to have to go back and read the other chapters to satisfy my curiosity.
This chapters really good, you just need to work on keeping the dialogue natural but other than that, it's brilliant.

Alchemist says...

Thanks for review! I will keep your advice in mind :)

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:39 pm
Morrigan wrote a review...

Hello, Alchemist! I'm here to rescue your chapter from the green room!

I haven't read the other chapters, but I was able to figure out what's going on in general, which is great because chapters should be able to stand alone like that.

There are some things that need to be addressed.

First, I'll get dialogue and grammar out of the way.

There should be punctuation inside the end quote if it is dialogue. I see that often you have either no punctuation there, or your comma is on the outside of the quote. The comma should be on the inside of the quote, and there should always be a comma, a period, an exclamation point, or a question mark (or an interrobang if you're feeling adventurous).

So instead of:

“Welcome, we are finally here”, Leiph smiled to her.
The comma should be touching the last e in here.

There are quite a few sentences that are a little awkward in here. Read this to yourself out loud, and you'll see where it sounds strange. Those places could use a little surgery.

That seemed like a bad time for a story. Save that for later, or have the characters discover it on their own. Now, it feels strange to suddenly have a story in there.

Not only is the wording awkward here, but this sentence is not needed at all. It should be taken out. The reader doesn't care about the motivation this character has to say Leiph's name. It seemed perfectly normal that she would say "Go on, Leiph." Make sure that everything you leave in the story really matters to the plot or to character development. No explanations like this are needed for such small things.

Sometimes the pacing feels really slow, and then you write how they got to where they're going basically all in one paragraph. If it took the characters a long time to reach their destination, let that reflect in the way you write the story. Sometimes, if it feels too slow to you, it is the exact right pace for the reader because you think faster than you can type, but the reader thinks as fast as they can read.

Altogether, this needs a little work. You should look at awkward phrasing, make sure that everything you write here is relevant to the plot, and that the characters' actions are appropriate for the time and place. It will make a more believable story. I hope that this review proves useful to you. Happy writing!

Alchemist says...

Thank you, this is really helpful!

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns