z

Young Writers Society



Asenath:Tears on the Sand Chapter 16

by Aravis10


XVI

She did think about that conversation. And about the meaning of Elohim and her life.

Also, she watched Joseph. Sometimes, she would see him praying in a garden. He talked to his God like a friend, but worshipped Him as holy and powerful. Once she heard him praying for her through tears.

She had been happy, but now all she could think of was Elohim.

Is He real? Or are they just fanatical delusions? And, if He is real, does He care about my life? What about Ra? Who am I to say that Ra is not real? Why do people even bother with gods?

She began to tear up. Oni took her hand.

“No, Oni. I am going to the painted garden. Don’t bother me.”

She ran to the garden that held her old home. Closing the big wooden doors behind her, she started to cry as she looked at the inside walls.

Joseph gave me a new life. Joseph. Not His God. If his God was his motivation for loving me, I am thankful. But it is Joseph’s God, the Hebrew God. I will love and obey Joseph, for he first loved me. But I don’t need a God to be happy with Joseph’s love. Maybe someday I’ll think more about this Elohim. But, not now.

That day came sooner than Asenath could have ever expected.

#*#*#*#*#*

“Oni, get the slaves to make sure the windows and doors are all closed. I see a raincloud in the distance.”

After shutting the windows of her bedroom, Asenath went back to work on her paintings in the main room.

The rain began to patter on the roof, and then pour. Thunder boomed. Lightning flashed across the sky.

She loved storms. So inspirational.

Asenath was swept away into the world of her painting. She did not know how long the storm had been going on when a slave ran in.

“My lady.”

“Yes.”

“There is a man at the gate seeking shelter from the storm. Should I let himin?”

“Yes, you know how Zaphenath-paneah is. He insists that we welcome all those in need to our home. Show him to a guest room, get him dry clothes, then bring him here.”

“Yes, my lady.”

If word gets out that we help all needy strangers, there will be more than we can handle! No matter. Right now it is just one man.

She continued painting until she heard a knock on the door. “Come in.”

The slave entered again. “The guest named Donkor is ready to see you.”

Asenath sat down her brush and straightened her wig. “Show him in.”

In a minute, the man entered. He was bent over and walked with a a bone staff. He was frail and thin with no wig to cover his bald head.

Poor man!

Asenath extended her arms in greeting. “You are very welcome her, lord Donkor. I am Asenath the lady of the house. My husband Zaphenath-paneah will be back for the evening meal. Come, sit down.” She pulled out a stool for him.

He mumbled a barely audible “Thank you.”

Not very talkative. He keeps his eyes down. Must be shy. I have to start a conversation.

“This is a nasty storm.”

He grunted.

“How did you get stuck in it?”

“I was lost,” he again mumbled.

“Where are you from?”

“You already know, my lady.”

“I do?”

“Yes.”

“Have we met before?”

“You really don’t know me?”

This is awkward. “No.”

During this time, the man had not even looked at his generous hostess. Suddenly, he threw down his cane, straightened his back, and stood to his full height of six feet.

“Then know me as your brother Amnon!”

Asenath stood still in confusion. “What?’

His olive eyes gleamed. “Yes, it is I, little sister.”

The shock passed over Asenath, and she began to laugh. “Amnon! Amnon!” She threw her arms around him. “How…where…I thought that…”

“Now, now, I will explain all later, but first, is your husband a trustworthy man?”

“Yes, yes! He is the most honest, trustworthy man I have ever met! Why do you ask?”

He leaned towards her and whispered, “I am a wanted man.”

“Amnon! What did you do?”

“Like I said, I will tell you when your husband arrives. You look lovely.”

“Thank you, brother.”

“I was praying that you had not changed much.”

“Many things have happened and I have changed. But, Joseph has been good to me.”

“Joseph? I thought his name was Zaphenath-paneah.”

“His Egyptian name is Zaphenath-paneah, but his Hebrew name is Joseph. When we are alone together, I call him Joseph. And since you and him will be great friends, I’m sure he will let you call him that.”

“How do you know we will be friends?”

“You are so alike.”

The rain had died down. Asenath heard the cantering of a horse.

“Oh! There he is. Get dressed, and in a bit we will have dinner.”

“None of the slaves can know who I am.”

“Alright. Around the slaves, I will call you Donkor. Now, get out.” Asenath winked.

He bent over, grabbed his cane, and pulled a cloth over his head. “Yes, my lady.”

A few moments after he left, Joseph came in and kissed his wife. “My love. How was your day?”

“Eventful.”

“Really? What happened?”

“My brother is here!”

“Your brother?! I thought that you said that he was dead!”

“That’s what I thought. But, he is here now, in disguise. He said that he would explain all when you arrived. I invited him to dinner. Is that all right?”

“Strange. Well, it’s fine. I will be delighted to meet your brother. What is his name again?”

“Call him Donkor around the slaves and Amnon when it is only us.”

“Donkor? Well, if you wish.”

My true love and my dearest brother together! I couldn’t have asked for anything better.

#*#*#*#*#

The dinner was set up in the main hall on a smaller table than normal. The light scent of paint still hung in the air, but it was overpowered by the smells of roasted fowl and spices. Joseph and Asenath were already in the room getting things prepared, for they had given the slaves the evening off.

A man covered by a heavy cloak shuffled in, quickly closed the door behind him, and whispered, “Are we alone?”

Why is he so troubled?

“Don’t worry, my brother. All the slaves went home for the evening, and none other live in the house.”

“Good.” With that, he cast off his cloak and became the noble Amnon once more. Asenath noticed lines of worry around his eyes.

“I am sorry that I have brought this…trouble upon your household, my lord,” Amnon said as he bowed low to Joseph.

Joseph clasped his arm in greeting. “Don’t worry, my friend. It is an honor to have my wife’s brother with us, though they come with many secrets. Let’s eat, then tell us your story.”

Joseph directed Amnon to a couch. He then bowed his head in silence, as he did before each meal. Amnon was shocked, and Asenath blushed.

He should just be normal around my family. Amnon is a priest of Ra. What will he think? What if…they don’t like each other?

Asenath’s fears passed away as the dinner went on. All three laughed and talked together like old friends. The night wore on, and no mysteries were solved.

Finally, after two hours of talking, Joseph sat back and smiled. “This has been an enjoyable night. Now, Amnon, we are ready to hear your tale.”

“I have to first ask you a question.”

“Yes.”

“What did you do before dinner?”

“Sat down?”

“No. You were silent. You didn’t offer the gods thanks.”

“Actually, I did give thanks to my God. Silently, in my heart.”

“Who is your God?”

“My God is named Elohim.”

Amnon jumped up. “Elohim!”

“Yes, Elohim. Do you know Him?”

“Yes, I do.”

“How can this be? Are you a Hebrew? No, of course you aren’t. I thought yu were a priest of Ra. Is this a trick?”

“No, no trick. I will tell you how I came to know Him and why I am now on the run from, from, well, my own father.”

Father?”

“It’s hard to know where to start. I was a priest of Ra. Since I had just finished schooling, I was a lower priest and was assigned to boring duties. I was told to organize a part of the storage room for priestly scrolls. It was a mess, and I’m not really an organizer. I began to just read many of the scrolls. I came across a scroll relaying the facts of foriegners Abram and Sarai that had come to Egypt close to a hundred years ago.”

“They are my great-grandparents.”

“Really? I’ll quickly retell the story. In that time, the Pharaoh tried to take Abram’s wife for himself. But the God named Elohim brought plagues upon Pharaoh’s house. I thought, ‘This can’t be true. Only Ra has power over the Pharaoh.’ I asked father about it. He agreed that it was true. I was confused and began to search for anything I could find about Elohim. A very old man told me stories he heard from his father about Abram and what he had said. He spoke about Elohim’s greatness, for He created the world, and His mercy, and His love. Of course, I couldn’t believe Him. I was a priest of Ra! Yet, I was intrigued. This God seemed so different from the Egyptian gods. He was love. Ra was cruelty.”

“Exactly!” Joseph suddenly exclaimed.

Asenath smiled understandingly.

Have they both gone mad? Asenath’s heart told her No.

“How did you finally believe?”

“A noble man had been coming to the temple every day, three times a day offering sacrifices. He did everything possible to please Ra, short of becoming a priest. I talked to him one day. He said, ‘My sick son is dying. All day I go around offering my sacrifices to all the gods. They will heal him.”

Ah. A man who could please the gods. He son was healed. The gods could not ignore such devotion.

“One day, the man stormed into the temple and demanded to see the high priest. I listened in. Father came out in his official robes. ‘What do you want?’ father asked. The man answered, ‘What do I want? WHAT DO I WANT? I did everything, everything to please the gods. And my son…my son is dead’.”

“He died!” Asenath exclaimed.

“That was my reaction. However, father was not moved. He told the man that he must not have sacrificed with the right animals or at the right times. The man started screaming, ‘I DID EVERYTHING! Ra is fake! Fake! And so are you!’ I left the room dazed. I could hear him as he continued ranting while he was dragged out of the temple. I came to a painful conclusion. Ra was fake and father knew it.”

Of course, that does make sense.

“What did you do?” Joseph asked. He was totally captivated by the story.

“It’s really late now. Maybe I should finish in the morning.”

“No!” Asenath and Joseph proclaimed in unison.

Amnon laughed. “Alright then. The next day I sat in my room during the morning sacrifices. I really didn’t know what to do. Later on of my friends, Nizam, came to see me. He was a devout priest of Ra. He came to my room and asked me, ‘Friend, you were not at the morning sacrifice. Are you not feeling well?’ ‘No, I’m feeling fine,’ I answered. ‘Then why did you skip the morning sacrifice?’ I decided to be blunt and honest. ‘I have realized that Ra isn’t real.’ ‘What?’ ‘He’s a fake, not a god at all.’ ‘Amnon, you are obviously ill. I will send for the doctor.’ No Nizam. I will not serve a fraud, a cruel imagination of man.’ Nizam was shocked then began to yell. ‘Heresy! Heresy! Help!’ Temple guards appeared, and Nizam ordered them to take me away. They locked me up in the prison under the temple. Father came in, and asked if I would repent of my words. When I refused, he said, ‘You are not my son anymore. May you rot in this cell forever!’”

“Not father! He was greedy and a coward, but not… not like that!”

“It’s truth.”

“But how did you come to believe? And how did you escape?”

“Though it is late, I will continue since I don’t want to leave you hanging. I sat in the dark prison for days, months, years. It had no windows, and when I stretched out my arms, I could touch the walls. It was dismal. All I could do was sit and reflect on my life. I thought much of you, Asenath.”

Prison. Not dead.

“Here is the most important part of my story. One night when I was thinking of Elohim, I heard a voice. It said, ‘Amnon.’ The voice was so powerful, so…so…terrible that I fell on my face and began to weep. Then, it spoke again, ‘Don’t be afraid.’ Then, it spoke with such love, such love! I cannot describe it, but I wasn’t afraid anymore. Then, it said, ‘I am Elohim, Creator of all, the one and only God. Serve me.’ I could not speak, but after He said that, the presence I had felt in the room was gone.”

“Elohim spoke to you!” Joseph cried, eyes wide.

“I do not know why. I am so unworthy. But, He did.”

“This…this is incredible!”

Asenath spoke. “No. This is crazy!”

Amnon sighed. “I can see how you might think that. If it had not happened to me, I would never have believed such a thing.”

“You were obviously delusional!”

“No. I could never have imagined the terror and love of the Voice.”

Joseph did not speak. He sat in awe.

“I must continue. That was the day that I finally believed in Elohim. To pass the time, I began to write poems for Elohim. I can’t sing well, as my sister knows, but I sang the poems anyway. This attracted my guard’s interest. He was the only guard of the prison. Since I was the only prisoner, he sat outside my cell all day. He liked music and asked about my songs. That started a friendship. Slowly, we talked more and more until he would open my cell and we would sit in the corridor together. Once I trusted him, I began to tell him about Elohim. At first, he was scared and skeptical, but after a while, he listened. Years passed. Most everyone probably forgot about me.”

“This is truly amazing!” Joseph exclaimed. “Something similar happened to me! I will tell you about it tomorrow.”

“Really? I will be glad to hear it.”

Asenath yawned loudly.

“How late it grows! I CAN finish in the morning!

“No, I want to hear the rest.”

“Alright… Three nights ago, my guard unlocked my cell. It was past midnight; I was asleep. He had a candle and a cloak. ‘Wake up,’ he said. ‘It is time for you to leave.’ ‘What?’ I said. ‘You are free. Go! Leave by the back gate.’ He cast the cloak around me, gave me the candle, and a little money. ‘May your God Elohim bless you, His innocent servant.’ I thought that I had been set free by father and rejoicing left the temple. That night, I stayed at an inn a free man. The next morning things changed. I was awakened by the sound of a messenger on horseback. I heard him through the walls as he proclaimed in front of the inn, ‘A reward of an hundred silver coins for the man who captures Amnon, a former priest of Ra. He has denounced Ra and murdered another priest.”

“What?”

“Exactly my thoughts. I realized then what had happened. My guard let me go without permission. Now, I was a wanted man. I escaped On and traveled here. When the storm came, I looked for the safety of a house. Elohim’s providence brought me here. I did not know that this was the house of my beloved sister and a child of Elohim.”

“Amazing! Absolutely amazing! My brother! We have so much to talk about!” Joseph cried.

How can this be? But now is not the time for asking questions. It is time to be practical.

“That is great and all, but you are still being searched for.”

“Yes.”

“I got it! Since I am the vizier, I can give you sanctuary in my home. If you claim my protection, only I could give you up and I would not do that.”

“You me to stay with you, my lord?”

“It would be a pleasure.”

“Thank you,” said Amnon with a low bow.

“Yes, thank you!” Asenath agreed.

Joseph took her hand and kissed it. “I was hoping it would please you. Now, it is definitely time for bed.”

Now fate twists things. For me, Asenath, the daughter of the high priest of Ra, to marry a worshipper of a foreign God and my brother to convert as well? Am I the luckiest woman in the world? Or the unluckiest?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:32 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy heeere :3

So I am noticing a bit of change in Joseph's character as we go along. He always seemed to be the most steady of everyone in the book... up until the last two chapters (including this one). Before, he was always good natured, always very calm and collected - even while something serious was going on, or even disastrous. And even when he was horribly confused or stressed, he still didn't become upset. In the last chapter, I spoke about what I thought about his yelling, so I won't go into that more than I have to for fear or repeating myself. I think the biggest issue with his character in this chapter would be his over-excitement. While I can see him being excited about the fact that Amnon also believes how he does, he seems to go a bit overboard for him. And I'll tell you a simple way of fixing that. Take out a few exclamation marks - yup yup. When you have an exclamation mark, you're telling the reader that the character is shouting. And you have so many spots in this chapter where Joseph does that in answer to Amnon - and no doubt most of his replies have the exclamation mark. I would back off a bit on those, and default to period more often. Allow the words to show the excitement for you in many cases, so you can have the exclamation marks to use when you truly need them.

Not His God.


His shouldn't be capitalized. ^.^

So with the story, I think you could write it in a better and less disjointed way. I've seen it done on YWS before, where someone narrates a story, and they did it in such a way so that it flowed with the piece. If the character is telling a very short story, then I think it'd be fine for other character to interject as often as they do here. But since this one is fairly long (almost half the chapter, really), I would pull out quite a few of the interjections and allow the story to flow through. Let Amnon tell most of his story without them interrupting him, because since this one is so long, it allows us to get into the story. Whenever Asenath or Joseph interrupted, it seemed to break up the story and pull us out. So I would say more story, less interruptions. It also looks quite neat and tidy to have the story in a few paragraphs down the line (one or two comments by the others is perfectly fine to me, though. Just quite a bit fewer to help maintain the flow). Just tweak that part and see what you come up with. c: I really loved his story and how he got to where he is, though. Amnon's courage and faith is an inspiration.


And my son…my son is


When using an ellipsis, be sure to have that space afterwards. Otherwise, you are joining two words together. So, son... my son <-- that instead of son...my son <-- not that. Someone on YWS explained this to me in a review on a piece of mine a few months ago, and I still make the mistake. xD

Once she heard him praying for her


Comma after once

very welcome her, lord Donkor


technical: here

I thought yu were a priest


technical: you

He son was healed


technical: his son

During Amnon's story, while he is going through the part where his friend is very concerned for him and asks if he need anything - and finally accuses him of heresy? That part is very confusing, because you're throwing quotation marks around like you have to use them all up, and all of that speech is squished together with nothing to separate the different character's dialogue save for periods. So I would work on pulling them apart, and if you can't give them their own paragraph, then just go and make them easier to see who's talking. At times, I don't know which was is up and I was a bit lost in that part. :/ So just some special attention given to that spot would really help tons. ^.^

This chapter adds to the plot more than any other part in the book has. Just to know how her brother is doing, and what he's been up to - I loved that. I do think you could have built up his entrance quite a bit more, and used Asenath's surprise to greater advantage. She has a quick moment of surprise, and then everything seems back to normal and I think you missed a chance for a really good scene there. So build that up, both with Asenath and Amnon. Remember that Asenath thought he was dead. So visualize yourself in her place there, and having your long, long-dead brother suddenly stand up and reveal himself. O_O I think I would probably just fall over and wake up the next morning. xD Just remember that when you run through edits, but these are small issues when given the plot of the book. Which constantly seems to be growing and becoming better. o.0 This is really getting awesome. Keep it up. c:
~Darth Timmyjake




User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:33 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hi! Cricket here for a review!

First off, I'm sooo sorry for stopping for a few days on this. I had to catch up a wee bit on some review requests, and I began to slack off in them... but I'm back now! (hopefully)

OMG, when I had read the chapter when the temple priests wouldn't let her in, I had assumed that he had done something wrong, or he had died. Or somewhere along those lines. I think I was right, as he did get in trouble for starting to believe in the real God, but not in the way I had imagined. I hadn't expected him to convert at all! To be honest about that really, I hadn't really been focusing on him.

Asenath and Joseph are soo interesting right now! And they are a totally cute couple by the way. I wish I could pair up some people that perfect...

Oh, and from the looks of things Ammon and Joseph are just going to get along perfect. Ammon converted, so that makes it to where they can relate to each other- besides Asenath of course- and that also means that there is more to sway Asenath to want to convert as well. Was that your intention, when you had Ammon convert? To have more sway for Asenath to convert?

Once she heard him praying for her through tears.


Sorry, this doesn't seem like Joseph's character very much. Nor does it seem like a man to me either. I know this may sound kinda strange, but I've never seen a man cry. Well on the rare occasion I have. But only when in serious pain. Like when somebody has died and that person was very close to them.

When I read this, I instantly thought of a women. Sorry, but that's the impression that I got. One thing that you have to remember when describing actions is that, every action that you describe for each individual character, makes them what we see. If your character goes and chops off the head of a person, we're going to see them as senseless brute with no feelings, deserves to be shot, ect.. And if we see something that a character has done that seems rather out of character, it might place that particular character out of balance and create for us the wrong impression of them. So be careful with those little actions.

And, if He is real, does He care about my life?


Unnecessary comma after And.

I am going to the painted garden.


Here's a case where you could put the use of Contractions to good use. I am could be I'm. It's something that usually helps with the flow of certain sentences. ;)

I see a raincloud


Nahh, normally you see a couple, or a big fleet of them smashed together as one. Try and make it seem a little more authentic.

lord Donkor.


Firstly, caps on Lord. Secondly, why is she calling him Lord? Is it to be merely polite or what... I'm not entirely sure really. I mean, it wasn't implied at all by the slaves or anything really, that he was somebody important in the world. xD A little clarification would be cool.

“Strange. Well, it’s fine. I will be delighted to meet your brother. What is his name again?”


Hmm, he doesn't seem very... excited. Just like something has happened today that might be a bit more interesting than just sitting here. Try and make him seem a bit more excited, as I think Joseph's character would react that way more. :D

I'm actually starting to grow a little concerned about Joseph's character. It seems a little in-consistent at times. One moment he's excited, and then the next he's solemn. I have the same problem with the inconsistency, so you're not alone with this. But anyway, make sure when you're doing the final draft, that you try and smooth over his character. He needs to be steady I think, but able to excite at times. Like now. He should be acting excited for his wife! I mean, her brother that she thought was dead, just came back! And he's acting like it's nothing really. Anyway, that's my take on it. xD

He bent over, grabbed his cane, and pulled a cloth over his head. “Yes, my lady.”

A few moments after he left, Joseph came in and kissed his wife. “My love. How was your day?”


Hmm, this seems a bit sudden. How about you have it to where after her brother leaves the room, she then stands there and try's to grasp what just happened. Have her run it all over in her mind, and then when's she's about done with that, then Joseph comes in. And since it's still fresh in her mind, she can sound super excited and all that still. :D

My sick son is dying.


It's kind of implied that his son is sick, as he's dying. So in the final edit, I think that can be taken out.

One day, the man stormed into the temple and demanded to see the high priest.


R4 already commented on this, but I thought I'd add my two bits as well. Personally I think he would get arrested for storming into the temple and just demanding that he see's the high priest. The high priest is an extremely important person, and he see's only the highest. Unless this guy is one of the highest... just requires a bit of research on this, I think.

Alright, later on I saw that you had Ammon relay a conversation between him and a friend of his. I also saw that used only single quotation marks. As I'm not entirely sure about this, I can only offer my opinion. How about you just do double quotation marks? For one, they're a whole heck of a lot more tidier, and for another they can just be read a whole lot better! I mean, I was staring at that little spot just reading it over and over again, trying to get those little single quotation marks out of my mind, but they just wouldn't. But the other dialogue was perfectly fine. So yeah, something to think about. You can even ask about it in Resources if you like. Up to you.

Overall, I enjoyed this chapter mainly because it added to the suspense. We now know that her brother converted to believing in the One True God, and he is now a wanted man because of it. That's awesome, knowing that she has soo much pressure to convert really. She now has even more to think about, thus adding to the suspense and drama. Good work.

Well hope this helps you and I hope I'll continue to be consistent with this! :D

Keep writing!

~Cricket




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:27 pm
Wolfi wrote a review...



Happy Review Day!!!
Wolfie has arrived to catch up on these chapters!

Joseph gave me a new life. Joseph. Not His God.

If you want to enunciate a certain word in a set of italics, just un-italicize it, instead of using bold.
I thought yu were a priest of Ra.

I small spelling error.
“Father?”

This is Asenath speaking, is it not? A little clarification would be nice! And right after, someone says:
“They are my great-grandparents.”

This is Joseph speaking, correct? If it was Asenath, it wouldn't make sense if she said that simply because Amnon and she would have the same great-grandparents. Ewww that was a gross sentence. Hopefully it makes sense! :P Just be sure to clarify with this one, too.
He son was healed.

His son, maybe?
I did everything, everything to please the gods.

Again, the use of bold is a little silly and unprofessional here. In this case, just italicize the word.
Later on of my friends, Nizam, came to see me.

I think you meant to write: "Later on, one of my friends..."
I CAN finish in the morning!

Same as with the bold: just italicize the word.

There were more typos than usual, but this was a long chapter, so that's understandable.

I had almost forgotten about Amnon! I am very happy that he is alive and has found Asenath and Joseph. And look- he's converted! It was lovely how you described the event in his cell where God talked to him, particularly when you described the Love of God. Very nice job! I'm very excited to see what happens next!

Image




Aravis10 says...


Thank you for the review! Weird...I normally try to look over my chapters for typos, but thanks for pointing them out! Oh! The italicize thing makes sense! I will try to remember that in the future.



User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 874
Reviews: 232

Donate
Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:01 am
rainforest wrote a review...



Hello, Aravis10! Unknown391625 here with another review!

I love this chapter! R4 wrote all the nitpick I caught, but overall, it's awesome! Good job! You categorized the story into the correct genres. I love how you wrote a paragraph that gives an epilogue of the story at the end so it adds mystery to what will happen in the next chapter. Good job! I will look out for more of your stories in the future. Don't give up and always write, Aravis10.

-Unknown391625




Aravis10 says...


Thank you unknownwithlotsofnumbers! The genre thing was a little difficult to pick at first so I'm glad I did it right!



User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 15489
Reviews: 179

Donate
Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:51 pm
r4p17 wrote a review...



Knight r4 here to review this work, Aravis. Did you get that name from The Chronicles of Narnia? There is a girl named Aravis in The Horse and His Boy. I certainly hope this helps you!

She began to tear up.
I think I would rephrase this. Try something like, 'her eyes began to well up with tears.' When I first read this I though it was tear as in to tear a robe. ;). But then I reread it and saw what you meant.

“Yes, you know how Zaphenath-paneah is. He insists that we welcome all those in need to our home. Show him to a guest room, get him dry clothes, then bring him here.”
At first I assumed that the man was a traveler but then later Aseneth somehow knows that he's a lord! I think you could have made this a little bit more clear and explain how she knows he is a lord without anyone telling her so. Or does she already know who the man is somehow?

Asenath sat down her brush and straightened her wig.
Minor typo here. Sat should be set. Ugh! Those troublesome words! ;).

“Now, now, I will explain all later, but first, is your husband a trustworthy man?”
This isn't a criticism necessarily, but this response just sounds so stereotypical. :)

Well, it’s fine.
That doesn't sound like something someone would say when they just found out a long lost relative had just come to his house!

All the slaves went home for the evening, and none other live in the house.”
I think that slaves would stay in their masters house, especially the visior's house.

I thought yu were a priest of Ra.
There is just a minor typo here. I also think you might want an '!' at the sentence's end.

One day, the man stormed into the temple and demanded to see the high priest.
No one would be able to see the high priest aside from a few select people.

“No, I want to hear the rest.”
I think I know who is speaking but I think you should make it a little more clear.

Overall this was very interesting. My only problem with this is that Joseph would never marry an unbeliever, much less a non Hebrew. But the concept interests me very much, because I am a Christian. I look forward to reading more of this story. You have crafted a very interesting plot.

You may want to read this over once to find I few other typos that I didn't mention because of time's sake. Happy writing!!! :D




Aravis10 says...


Thank you for your review! "My lord" is actually a term of respect used in many ancient cultures. See 1 Peter 3:6. yes, I got it from the Chronicles of Narnia. The Horse and his Boy is my favorite book of the series! In the Bible, it says that Pharaoh gave Asenath to Joseph. I interpreted this as an arranged marriage type of thing. If you read the earlier chapters (mainly chapters 8 and 9), you can read that part. This is a Biblical fiction book, which means I am taking what is in the Bible as my basis, then getting creative with the untold details.



r4p17 says...


Oh! *facpalms* Nevermind that. I should have remembered that! I do like the idea though! Hehehe! I can't believe I forgot that! ;)



Aravis10 says...


Haha, it's fine! I hadn't even heard of Asenath before I started this book so I can definitely look over a tiny mistake :)



Wolfi says...


Ah, I thought the name Aravis sounded familiar! :D Great book!




If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck…you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
— Cecil Gershwin Palmer