z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Where I'm From

by erilea


I'm from rocking on toys for hours

From playing pretend

From stealing Christmas presents to climbing on couches.

I'm from wild hair

From dimples on my cheeksĀ 

From toothless smiles to almost-disappearing eyes.

I'm from amazing schools

From escaping the friend-zoneĀ 

From meeting new teachers to making new friends.

I'm from crazy gifts

From playing piano at age five

From taking ballet lessons at age three to memorizing the Nutcracker march at age eight.

I'm from different schools

From seeing old friends

From weird talent shows to awesome teachers.

I'm from a love of writing

From Young Writers Society

From poems like these to talented stories.

I'm from life.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 506
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:38 pm
lebanesecat wrote a review...



Amazing poem! I've heard of the original Where I'm From poem by George Ella Lyon in my Creative Writing class (in which we had to write our own), but that wasn't until I was fifteen years old! I think it's wonderful that you wrote this at such a young age, and it's even more incredible that it is your first poem.
Here are some things I noticed from the original poem and others that I found useful in creating my own.

-The things you list as where you're 'from' don't always have to be objects or actions, but they can also be things like phrases that you commonly hear, or are called.
ex. "I'm from the know-it-alls and pass-it-ons, From perk up and pipe down" (Lyons)
-You can also describe things from your life that aren't necessarily a thing you can picture or see; explore the five senses and describe smells, tastes, and sounds you associate with your early childhood and present day.
ex. "From the scent of homemade biscuits filling up the kitchen"
ex. "From the high-pitched chirps of chalk on a blackboard" etc.
-Also, you can start two or three lines without using "I'm from," or "From," and simply describe the thing from the previous line, or add a new item to the list.
ex. "the Dutch elm,
whose long-gone limbs I remember
as if they were my own." (Lyons)
ex. "fried corn and strong coffee." (Lyons)

I recommend looking at George Ella Lyon's Where I'm From poem, and see how she uses these techniques! Other than that, I loved your poem, keep up the good work!




User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:33 am
Willard wrote a review...



Hey, yo, Wisegirl22! Strangelove here on this PokeReview Day and I have a quick review for you!
A part of this truly amazes me, just shocks me. My mind is blown after reading this. I can't believe you're eight! I would honestly assume if you were 12 (I'm not saying that in offense, because I've seen 12 year olds write and this is up on that par). Am I calling you an amazing writer overall? Oh, no, but you are great for your age.
It makes me smile, reading some of these. It shows how proud a person can be of themselves. It's always nice to show emotion, especially when it's happy. Now, I don't mean to be harsh here, but I am going to be somewhat critical. I also liked the nice flow and stuff.
This, honestly, felt cliched. It just couldn't tack on. You tried to express your emotion through generic ways and, to me, just didn't work. I've seen many poems like this, and this felt awfully retreaded. Just, another poem run of the mill.
Overall, okay job.
Strange gives you...
Okay/10
Okay job,
Keep writing,
Stay groovy, my friend.

#TeamPlasmaStruck




Random avatar

Points: 296
Reviews: 7

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:34 pm
EgTucks wrote a review...



I really enjoyed reading this poem, it left me with a happy feeling. It was like a window into your life and the imagery as great as well. One of my favorite lines was: "Im fro wild hair from dimples on my cheeks from toothless smiles to almost-disappering eyes." I can totally picture the whole thing. Keep up the good work!




erilea says...


Thx!



User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 874
Reviews: 232

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:44 pm
rainforest says...



Amazing poem! In the words that you have typed, it expresses what you are and where you are from and what you do. Not a lot of people are good at writing poems, but at your age, and the poems and stories you write, it's amazing. I would never think I could write like this at a young age. You have a lot going for you.




erilea says...


OMIGOSH, thanks!



rainforest says...


You're welcome. Just, it's very impressive you can write stores and poems at a level like this. You inspire me.



erilea says...


Your welcome.



Random avatar

Points: 728
Reviews: 2

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:41 pm
biju wrote a review...



"I'm from life"...makes me realise of all the craziness i've been spilling all along over and over again, even today..makes me realise of all the sad brackets i have had over the years..makes me realise how happy i'm right now.. that's what it does! That one line! Beautiful poem with a dramatic ending and also the starting is refreshingly unusual. Kept it simple and neat. Not to be rude but if u could just find a way and break this sentence "From taking ballet lessons at age three to memorizing the Nutcracker at age eight" into two instead of one it would really do a great deal, poetic appeal-wise because as a reader i felt it kinda threw a little. But its really okay for a first timer i feel. Yeah! Besides that i a great four minutes time reading it. Yeah i read slow (if you must know). Hmm! I really wish i could show you a thumbs up but sadly i can't. Keep up.




erilea says...


Love y'all!



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 184

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:16 pm
RoyalHighness wrote a review...



RoyalHighness has arrived to review!
Well, nice poem you've got here m'dear! Let's begin, shall we?
No big nitpicks so we can just go straight into Content.

Content

Spoiler! :
Very nice first work, wisegirl! I was afraid, when I clicked on this poem, that I'd get a boring backstory or a story of heritage or something but this was a great surprise!
I like how relatable you made a story about you; you're not the only one who has dimples, or has stolen Christmas presents or has taken ballet or piano (impressive by the way, do you still play? I've played since I was six). So no matter who you are, you can relate to this poem and no matter who you are when you grow up, you'll be able to look back at this poem and grin because you know it's all true.
I like the "wild hair," phrase (been there, done that) and I like the connection between starting ballet at three and memorizing a whole dance at eight. I like the last three lines about writing, but I'm not a huge fan of the very last sentence only because I feel like you ended a really great poem on kind of an anti-climactic line. I think you could've ended it better, but I can't think of any suggestions right now so that tells me it's not that big a deal anyway.
Great job on imagery and telling a story with very few words and overall, just the whole idea that you've written here is really great and kind of cute, actually!


Conclusion
I loved your poem, in short. I'm going to give it eight-and-a-half stars out of ten! :D Great job, keep writing, and WELCOME TO YWS!!




erilea says...


Thx!!! I really love you!





Why thank you! :D



erilea says...


Your welcs! :)



User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 1657
Reviews: 45

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:05 pm
View Likes
TigersMoon wrote a review...



This doesn't suck. It's good. The poem is written about you and all the things that you've done. Your life sounds interesting. Memorizing the Nutcracker at eight and escaping the friend zone don't suck.

I've never seen something like this before. It's unique. I like the repetition of "I'm from and From." It gives the poem a certain feel.

Overall, this poem is great. Just a tip, don't hate bad work, read it and think of things you could do to make it better.

-M.P. Tigers




erilea says...


Oh, thx!



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:36 pm
View Likes
erilea says...



Sorry if this entire thing sucks, this is my first poem.





We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.
— Ernest Hemingway