z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Nighttime and Morning

by Cithara


A/N: So these are two poems my younger sister wrote.  :D Let me know what you think! She's pretty good.

Nighttime

The blue sky is now a mess of oranges, pinks, and deep passionate reds

The evening is being put away and will be taken out for tomorrow

The sun starts to sink down

The moon and stars awake

Glowing radiantly

Darkness sweeps away the once bright sky

Night has come into play

Morning

The glassy surface of the ocean blinks up at the morning sun

The trees sway back and forth, waving at the morning sky

Fish jump up out of the river to feel the morning breeze

Flowers bloom in time to see the morning clouds

Morning is here


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
240 Reviews


Points: 279
Reviews: 240

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:29 pm
View Likes
AdmiralKat wrote a review...



Hello! KatyaElefant here for her last review of the day! I'm too busy for life so I'm going to stop here! Oh and Happy Review Day! Let's see what you and your sister have come up with...

Just some minor stuff that can be easily fixed! So the first poem, I feel should be broken up into two stanzas. That would sure help that part! You could always use more punctuation in a poem. I feel like if you put it in here, then you will make the poem flow much more better. That's all I have to say that you could or should change. Not that much! :D

I love how these two poems contrast each other. It's nighttime and then it's morning. I love how you chose that. They are both so sweet poems.(makes me want to nom on them) *noms on poems* The lines are so pretty in both of them. The spelling and grammar is amazing. If your sister is in fifth grade or younger, then she is doing much better in writing than I did when I was a younging like her! Your organization of phrases is great. They flow right in to one another. Great job with all of this! Your sister should be proud of herself! I was never able to make such amazing poems when I was younger. *I probably still can't do this now* Have a nice review day! Keep calm and keep writing!

This review was brought to you
by Team Rocket.
Image




Thewriter13 says...


Don't. Put. Yourself. Down. Ever.
You are an amazing writer! My sister did this all by herself, surprisingly, so I didn't help her at all XD
Thank you for this kind review!! That means a lot to us :D



AdmiralKat says...


XD *I'm not putting myself down XD*



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 331
Reviews: 20

Donate
Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:41 pm
View Likes
Booshian wrote a review...



I thought these were really great for a start. I only have a couple of suggestions,all minor.
There isn't any punctuation in either poem making them read as one long never ending sentence. If the lack of punctuation is a style in which your sister favours that's fine but I do think adding a period at the very end of the poem at least would heighten it's impact.
Also, how about amalgamating the two into one in the form of a sonnet or something? It might be nice if you feature the transition from morning to night time in one poem. Just a thought. Tell your sister she is really great though and should keep writing and get an account on here!




Thewriter13 says...


I never saw this! (sorry!) Okay, thank you very much for the kind review :) welcome to YWS btw! ;)



Booshian says...


You're very welcome :) thanks!



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 302
Reviews: 12

Donate
Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:59 pm
View Likes
Lonely wrote a review...



Nighttime was my favorite out of the two. The imagery and the personification made the poem feel so alive. Morning was nice too, but personally I prefer Nighttime. One of the things I noticed was that the poems lacked end punctuation (which isn't needed). For example, the first line should have a period at the end of it, telling us that is one complete thought. Other than that, this was really well done. Make sure to tell your sister to keep on writing, and maybe even convince her to make herself an account. She is really good, and I bet she learned from you! :)




Thewriter13 says...


Thank you!



User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 1945
Reviews: 29

Donate
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 am
View Likes
gia2505 says...



These are awesome! Your sister is great!




Thewriter13 says...


Thank you!!



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 951
Reviews: 5

Donate
Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 am
View Likes
wifikolton wrote a review...



Hi! Kolton here for a quick review.
Your sister is actually really good! Why is she not on Young Writers? XD

Moving on. I do find this particular sentence rather awkward;
"Night has come into play"
She may want to tweak that a little bit, the 'into play' just doesn't sound right. Maybe 'to play' would be better?
The Morning one is really beautifully descripted, though I do think she's overused 'morning'. Maybe she can change that up a bit too? Oh maybe that's really what she was aiming to do, but compared with the 'Nighttime' poem it doesn't really sink in for me.
Anyway, hope you found some interest in this atrocious review, honestly, I apologise if this makes no sense. Tell your little sister to join! Great work.

- Kolton




Thewriter13 says...


Thanks! She's too young to join though XD :S



wifikolton says...


Ahh, that's too bad. Well make her join when she hits the right age!



Thewriter13 says...


Will do XD welcome to YWS btw! :D



wifikolton says...


Thank youuuuuuu. It's been a great couple hours in all honestly.



User avatar
221 Reviews


Points: 1476
Reviews: 221

Donate
Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:48 am
View Likes
Vivian says...



I agree with Audy, Writer, your sister's great at this.




Thewriter13 says...


Aww thank you!! :D



User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:22 pm
View Likes
Audy wrote a review...



Hey Writer13!

You should let your sister join up here ;) We'd love to have her. So really quickly, I'm just going to dive right in.

For Nighttime, I love the play of some of these nouns and their verbs/descriptors. For example, in the first line, "mess of oranges" made me think of a literal mess of fruity oranges, so the image I get is something like a bunch of spilled fruitjuice up at the sky which is...kind of gorgeous. I would recommend leaving out "blue" in the first line. The word sky itself already implies the blue. The next line, I like the way she says "evening is put away" almost like someone picks it up and packs it up inside a box or a pantry or something. To other lines: the sun sinking, the moon/stars glowing are pretty commonly used, so they didn't surprise me nearly as much as the first two.

It's interesting because in "Nighttime", I LOVED when she used interesting/uncommon verbs and pair them up with these nouns to build the description. However, with Morning, I feel the opposite. How does a glassy surface blink? Swaying and waving are practically synonyms, so it's almost like line 2 says the same thing in two different ways. I really love the detail of the fish jumping up out of the river, it really adds life to these images. And I've got to say that my biggest takeaway from both poems is the attention to detail and the way that images are created within these lines. I would suggest to take it a step further! Add more sensory detail, so not just sight and movement, but perhaps smell, taste, sound, and feeling.

Hopes this helps!

~ Audy




Thewriter13 says...


Aww Audy this will make my sister's day :)
Thank you for the review!!



User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 55

Donate
Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:36 pm
View Likes
puppys3117 wrote a review...



Awesome poems indeed :D This isn't much of a review, since I only have one nitpick:

The blue sky is now a mess of oranges, pinks, and deep passionate reds

The evening is being put away and will be taken out for tomorrow

The sun starts to sink down

The moon and stars awake


The repetition of 'the' bothers me, but other than that, everything is basically perfect! :3
Tell your sister that she is growing into a fine writer :)
~puppys3117~




User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 2321
Reviews: 122

Donate
Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
View Likes
ccwritingrainbow wrote a review...



These are pretty good poems. I wonder how old she is because I hope I can give her some advice. The majority of the lines are sentences. I'd say if she wants to create rhythm, make those sentences into beautiful, short phrases. It takes time to create those because the language used in professional poetry is usually written by the older poets. I'd say that more practice should make her a better poet than before. Don't take this as offense. Your sister has talent that has yet to mature.




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 804
Reviews: 37

Donate
Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:00 am
recreating says...



Yes, I figured. She's off to a wonderful start.




Thewriter13 says...


Thank you! :D



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...



These are beautiful!!! Your little sister will certainly become a wonderful writer like yourself if she keeps up her hard work! :D Tell her she did a great job for me!
P.S. I'm listening to S&G as I write this. Just had to tell you.




Thewriter13 says...


Aww thank you Wolfie! That means a lot:D
Ooh what song?!
We heard Homeward Bound on the way to church yesterday :D



Wolfi says...


:o That was the one I was listening to.

Freaky......



Thewriter13 says...


What do you know... XD
great song :D



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 804
Reviews: 37

Donate
Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:27 am
View Likes
recreating wrote a review...



When I read this I felt like I was missing something. Maybe I just don't understand. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to details or subtle hints. Maybe I need to learn to read between the lines. Personally, I couldn't find much meaning in this. In my opinion, poetry should never just be a group of words to represent calm or beauty. Even if so, it should mean more than what is in the direct text. Of course, at a certain age it can be difficult to do, but at the same time the earlier the start the better. So, although possibly excusable because of age, this is always something to work on.




Thewriter13 says...


She's still learning
But she's improving




okay I think I need to grab some nachos
— BluesClues